The Strokes’ amazing set list at Port Chester, NY on May 31

By all accounts, The Strokes’ first live show since 2011 was fantastic. I’ll post videos from tonight’s show when I receive them — forward them to thestrokesnews@gmail.com, if you find them — but here’s the setlist, which is probably the most unique one they’ve ever constructed.

1. Barely Legal
  15. The End Has No End
  16. You Only Live Once
  17. Last Nite
  18. New York City Cops
  19. And visual evidence, via Andrew:
    photo (4)
    Mama Loves Her Baby Blues is Happy Ending, and NYCC was added to the list.

1 William May 31, 2014 at 8:47 pm

Would love to see:

Electricityscape
Ize
VOD
Alone, Together
What Ever Happened
50/50

Crossing fingers for Gov Ball.

2 Mikey May 31, 2014 at 8:47 pm

One track off Angles? Bummer. Any way, the set is incredible!

3 marsyachairuna May 31, 2014 at 8:51 pm

Wow this is very unique and very intriguing at the same time.
I just wish they would play more songs from Angles
Esp. UCoD
and Partners in Crime. I think it’ll sound great.

4 Andrés May 31, 2014 at 8:54 pm

Is this it – 6
Room on fire – 5
Fioe – 3
angles – 1
cm – 3

5 Jack May 31, 2014 at 8:55 pm

MACHU PICCHU.

6 Anthony May 31, 2014 at 9:04 pm

Great show…Ryan, Regina Spector, Gordon Gaphael, Justyna Hammond Jr. all in the house. Setlist was interesting. First time seeing 12:51 and The End Has No End in a very long time. Julian seemed a bit off with the lyrics as usual. Forgetting lines/repeating. Nick still seems out of sorts/not into it. Believe it or not he showed some enthusiasm when they played 12:51 and The End Has No End (ironically enough). I agree with a lot of people, I would have like to hear more tracks from Angles. For example Life is Simple in the Moonlight.

However, I am not going to bitch. Show was great overall. I just hold The Strokes to high ass expectations like a father with tough love. Just want these mother fuckers to enjoy playing together and record an album together that they are excited as hell about.

Sick show though…sick.

7 johnr May 31, 2014 at 9:06 pm

First time for razor blade since 06. That was great. Im telling you welcome to Japan was phenomenal

8 Riley May 31, 2014 at 9:09 pm

I thought 10 hours was a little too far to drive…now i don’t after seeing that incredible setlist, damnnn

9 Jack May 31, 2014 at 9:31 pm

JEEZ – starting a showing with Barely Legal?! They haven’t played that song in ages. Incredible. And to NOT end the show on Take It Or Leave It? Bold. They’ve done that like once before. They *always* end on TIOLI. Love that they’re mixing it up. Overall this setlist looks more like a setlist for hardcore Strokes-fans. Not so much the big crowdpleasers/album hits that they were sticking to on their 2011 tour.

10 William May 31, 2014 at 9:47 pm

Fuck it, I want to see Tap Out and All The Time, too – for the solos!

11 Maria May 31, 2014 at 9:50 pm

any videos of machu picchu?

12 Annie 1251 May 31, 2014 at 10:01 pm
13 Annie 1251 May 31, 2014 at 10:06 pm
14 Droog May 31, 2014 at 11:56 pm

@Anthony Was it nick or julian showing the enthusiasm during 1251/the end has no end?

15 Anthony June 1, 2014 at 5:52 am

@Droog it was Nick who looked kinda zoned out during the show. However, he seemed to get pretty excited at the start of 12:51 and The end has no end. His reaction was almost seemed like he was the one who may have pushed to play these songs. Julian mainly interacted with Albert. Asking him questions like “how you feeling Albert” and then handing him the mic for a second. Or do we have next albert. Then pointed the mic at albert for him to say “our last song”. Julian also interacted indirectly with Nicolai by talking about how they both saw Janes Addiction at the Capitol theatre back in the day. It was pretty great to see Regina Spector rocking out so hard in the balcony. Singing every lyric to every track including the comedown machine tracks. Also forgot to mention in my last post that Exclamation Pony! was in the house as well as Warren Fu (who I didn’t see).

Didn’t mean to sound negative in my last post. The setlist was amazing. Julian’s vocals were a bit drowned out by the instruments. However, Julian did seem more enthusiastic during the show than normal. Gus was there mixing so I was surprised that the mix wasn’t spot on like it has been when Gus mixes for Albert.

16 Abe June 1, 2014 at 8:58 am

Good show, but the sound was deafening. Never had that problem at a Strokes show before. Even at the back of the floor under the overhang it was a bit much. I’ve seen AC/DC shows that much quieter than this.

Otherwise a good set – wish they would’ve played Modern Age but you can’t have everything.

17 Gibson June 1, 2014 at 9:24 am

Best concert of my life!

18 Yuppity Yup Yup June 1, 2014 at 9:38 am

Did Nick interact with the crowd at all? Unsure of his stage presence, it sounds like he’s playing good, but he might as well be playing in the studio, instead of in front of the crowd. I think I did at one point see him jump up to Fab on the drums but that’s about it. I wasn’t there so I don’t know.

19 Gary June 2, 2014 at 8:21 am

Looks amazing. A few of my favorites got left off, but that’s what happens when you have a lot of great songs.

20 Peter June 2, 2014 at 8:43 am

Such an awesome set list!!!!!!!!!!!!! They’re going to dominate when they come back on tour. SO pumped. The time will come.

21 Jonny B June 2, 2014 at 11:07 pm

@ Peter. I like your comment, and agree.

22 Jamie June 3, 2014 at 12:41 pm

I would say they’re at their best since the RoF days. From where I was standing (closer to the back) the mix was flawless. By far the best show I’ve ever been to. I’m only bummed that it seemed to be over so quickly.

I’ve got videos of Machu Pichu and NYCC (just picked random times in between songs to start filming), I just need to get them uploaded and I’ll email Eric once I do.