Video: Daft Punk — Instant Crush (feat. Julian Casablancas)

The full video for Daft Punk’s ‘Instant Crush,’ which features Julian Casablancas, hit the web this morning. It’s reportedly inspired by Hans Christian Andersen’s ‘The Steadfast Tin Soldier,’ and it features Julian as a marionette in a video which I found to be sad.

What did you all think? Also, how many times do you think human Julian had to be reminded of the lyrics when he was mouthing them?

1 Damic December 6, 2013 at 7:29 am

Way to go, Julian!

2 the modern age December 6, 2013 at 7:43 am

Bravo!! :)

3 Kinger December 6, 2013 at 8:33 am

That was one of the best videos that is Strokes related.

Emotions blasting everywhere!

4 Gibson December 6, 2013 at 8:38 am

Simply amazing.

5 Wolfsie December 6, 2013 at 8:57 am

Love it! Great song by Daft Punk and Julian and Warren Fu’s video suits it so well…

6 Beatrice December 6, 2013 at 9:44 am

Fantastic video. So emotional, so sad, so beautiful! I love the fake Julian : he seems so alive! His eyes seem to be crying at times! And the Andersen’s fairytale itself is wonderful. I think that Julian and Daft Punk are quite similar actually in their conception of art. There is both happiness and melancholy in it. Julian’s voice is perfect because it expresses both.

7 Annie 1251 December 6, 2013 at 9:50 am

Wow! So sad and beautiful! LOVED IT!

@Beatrice
That was a perfect post and I agree 100% :)

8 Steve December 6, 2013 at 10:41 am

Uhhh kinda weird kinda creepy and extremely cheesy. My guess is the minority of strokes fans who think everything Julian does is the most amazing groundbreaking original stuff will eat this up. Most will see it as a disappointing video for a pretty good song.

Keep that Julian Doll as far away from certain people here at strokes news!

9 Kinger December 6, 2013 at 11:16 am

@Steve ??? Are you a fan?

@Annie 1251 I remember you went and saw the indie movie with Julian Casablancas’ song in the premiere at New York. I wanted to ask you if Julian had some falsetto in the song.

Does he?

10 JayConz December 6, 2013 at 11:35 am

Yeah, I’m not sure why certain people are critiquing this. From a film standpoint, they did a splendid job of making these figures- who aren’t seen moving on their own accord aside from the very end, who can’t blink or speak- come to life, of making viewers care about them. The way that time progresses without it being shoved in the viewer’s face- the changing figures around them, as well as the dress of the visitors and workers- implies that this video takes place over a long period of time. Add in the symbolism (the painting representing the two figures, the slingshot kid representing how the Julian figure can do nothing to save the female figure) and for an about 5:40 second-long video, it packs more of an emotional punch than most feature-length movies.

This and the Tenth Doctor’s last Doctor Who Episode “The End of Time” are the only two new things I’ve watched in recent memory that have made me cry. In short, bravo!

11 heather December 6, 2013 at 1:19 pm

Sick!!!! I love it

12 yeah December 6, 2013 at 1:46 pm

don’t be stupid steve, this is a great video and better than most all trash corny music videos coming out these days

13 Is this it December 6, 2013 at 2:06 pm

@Jayconz thanks for pointing out the symbolism like that i never noticed before. Please note the sarcasm.

14 the modern age December 6, 2013 at 2:20 pm

@JayConz, Thanks for your post, I really enjoyed it. I loved the close-ups of the light passing over the paint when he was back on the store room – more symbolism of time passing.

15 JayConz December 6, 2013 at 3:50 pm

@Is this it- thanks for pointing out your sarcasm like that, I never noticed it before. Please note the sarcasm ;)

Oh, and please note my grammar corrections as well. “I” should always be capitalized. When trying to insult someone, please do it while being grammatically correct.

@the modern age- thank you! :) It really is incredibly well done, isn’t it? The gathering dust, the light passing over the figure as you pointed out, all really well done. Honestly it’s almost like a short film in a way.

16 R Guy December 6, 2013 at 5:14 pm

This video is kinda creepy, sad, emotional, but amazing! Nicely done.

17 squirrel December 6, 2013 at 6:00 pm

“Guys, chill. Chill!” ;)

18 heather December 6, 2013 at 7:08 pm

Last night I was reading the story that the video is based on and I think they did a great interpretation of it.

19 danedressa December 7, 2013 at 5:42 am

@squirrel
hahahahahahahaha

20 John Doe December 7, 2013 at 11:46 am

@heather
What is the story based on? I’m think I’m having a dejavue

21 heather December 7, 2013 at 12:40 pm

It’s based on The Steadfast Tin Soldier by Hans Christian Andersen

22 Kev December 7, 2013 at 12:59 pm

I didn’t care for this song when I first heard it. It’s really grown on me, though. I love the video! I still have a hard time with Julian’s voice through auto tune, though.

23 Annie 1251 December 7, 2013 at 1:32 pm

@Kev & Erryone

Warren Fu ‏@warrenjfu · 20h
FYI #InstantCrush is NOT autotuned. Wish the press would stop saying that. It’s multiple layers of vocals that are harmonizing

24 heather December 7, 2013 at 2:26 pm

Thanks Annie. I’m confused as to why people are surprised by the layered vocals on Instant Crush. Daft Punk is an electronic music group. It’s what they do.That is their sound. By the way, they have been nominated for 3 Grammys, including Album of the Year.

25 Mike December 7, 2013 at 5:09 pm

The “Its not autotune! Its layered vocals” argument misses the point. People have the tendency to call anything autotune when it’s obvious their being assisted by a machine. Besides I was under the impression autotune was a general term for anyone using a computer to make their voice in tune with the music.

Having said that this is Daftpunk and Julians vocals completely work with this music. I have more of a problem with his artificial voice on Comedown then I do here.

26 LillySu December 7, 2013 at 5:50 pm

His voice in CM is not artificial. He was just singing with his vocal cords relaxed and it is called falsetto.

27 Mike December 7, 2013 at 6:31 pm

Your kidding yourself. I don’t know what he’s using but he’s definitely being assisted with something.

28 Bobby December 8, 2013 at 1:22 am

The Julian mannequin looks a little bit like a young Matthew Broderick. Cool idea to base it on a Hans Christian Andersen story but not sure what I think of the actual video, first impression is it’s a little bit cheesy. I like the song, have no problems with the vocals, assisted or not it doesn’t matter.