The Strokes’ fifth album will, most likely, be called ‘Comedown Machine’

I can say, with a reasonable amount of certainty, that The Strokes’ fifth record will be called “Comedown Machine”.

Here’s why.

The following cached image was uncovered by Reddit user andersonenvy last night — thanks for the tip, Maya — and it seems as if The Strokes’ management/web designer briefly tested this image on the band’s website to ensure it works when the band’s fifth record is released. They then hid that page on the site, but andersonenvy was able to uncover it last night.

Anyway, here’s the photo that was uncovered…

thestrokes_cm_625x433

A few readers have mentioned seeing this screen and briefly being directed to thestrokes.com/comedownmachine while trying to listen to One Way Trigger. This information seems to mean — please note that I haven’t confirmed this — that the band’s fifth record will be called Comedown Machine, it will be released on RCA and its run time will be 37 minutes, 49 seconds.

Considering all we know about The Strokes and that this image was found on The Strokes’ official site, that information makes complete sense.

51 protogyl January 29, 2013 at 9:53 pm

wow i thot they were just busdies but now they are holding hands? haha

52 Matt January 29, 2013 at 10:00 pm

I know those lyrics are official, but it reeeaaally doesn’t sound like he says “can’t wait no longer” at the end.

53 I Can't Win January 29, 2013 at 10:03 pm

The whole Julian and Albert holding hands in a flying car thing just might be the single best idea they’ve ever had. That should totally be the album cover.

54 the modern age January 29, 2013 at 10:08 pm

They love each other! Lol. It’s nice to hear from Julian so much too.

55 LillySu January 30, 2013 at 1:08 am

Love that OWT lyrics artwork!

56 @neobat29 January 30, 2013 at 7:32 am

Only 37 minutes? Damn
I mean, FIOE had more than 52 minutes… It’s gonna be almost as short as Angles (34 minutes), and it didn’t even have b-sides like Hawaii, I’ll Try Anything Once and Mercy Mercy Me (awesome b-sides, btw)

57 the modern age January 30, 2013 at 7:44 am

@neobat29, Yeah… it’s too bad. Well, maybe they’ll have bonus iTunes things like Julian did with Phrazes.

58 Anton January 30, 2013 at 8:22 am

Rough Trade Records tweeted/confirmed Comedown Machine out March 25.

59 Anton January 30, 2013 at 8:27 am

And that red RCA thing IS the official artwork. Unbelievable.

60 JOhn January 30, 2013 at 8:44 am

I don’t mind the album cover at all … very simple, classic, and professional looking.

61 mateja January 30, 2013 at 8:58 am

It seems official now, but I still doubt about that being the real cover. Maybe is somthing provisory until they the finish the real artwork. I mean, the big RCA? It’s weird.

62 Benny January 30, 2013 at 9:01 am

Guess it’s been confirmed that’s the offical artwork … https://twitter.com/RoughTradeRecs

63 Nick January 30, 2013 at 9:31 am

I can’t wait for the 30 second previews again lol

64 Don't Be A Coconut January 30, 2013 at 4:05 pm

The length of Is This it was 36:28 with 11 tracks, Room on Fire was 33:05 with 11 tracks, First Impressions of Earth was 52:19 with 14 tracks, and Angles was 34:26 with 10 tracks. It sounds like almost 38 minutes for Comedown Machine isn’t that bad, it could have anywhere from 9 to 11 tracks depending on the length of the songs. But lets not forget that Room on Fire, Is This It, and First Impressions had awesome b-sides but Angles didn’t :( I hope the songs on the new album are all really really good and I HOPE they have some b-sides that aren’t on the album on the singles!!!

65 frans February 1, 2013 at 7:10 am

“One Way Trigger” sounds more like Julian Casablancas than The Strokes.

I got tired of the synths so I made a more down to earth version: https://sites.google.com/site/videothestrokesonewaytrigger/