How I feel about how The Strokes toured ‘Angles’

Earlier today, in a post about Amanda De Cadenet’s appearance on Jimmy Kimmel Live, I ended the post with two awkwardly-phrased sentences about The Black Keys-Arctic Monkeys show I saw on March 19 at the United Center.

In the comments, some readers thought I was insulting Arctic Monkeys. I wasn’t. I was trying to make a point about how The Strokes toured Angles. I just wrote a long response in order to clarify my point. Because the comments section of nearly every post I’ve done since The Strokes’ last date of the Angles tour seems to devolve into some sort of criticism of the band, I figured I’d post my feelings about the Angles tour and defend The Strokes in this space

Here’s my comment, which is directed at reader Gimli, who thought I was attacking Arctic Monkeys with what I wrote…

@Gimli — That’s not an insult to either band. I’m not one of these people who criticize a band just because they get big. It was awesome to see them (Arctic Monkeys and The Black Keys) play a huge venue, and I was 15 feet away from Pat (Carney) and 10 feet away from Nick (O’Malley) at the United Center. It was essentially a club date for me. I saw Arcade Fire and The National at UIC Pavilion last Easter in what is now one of my 2 or 3 favorite shows ever. I’m not complaining about that.

What I meant is that it’s nice to see two bands who’ve tirelessly toured in order to (in TBK’s case, slowly) build their fan bases and not just release new music, play some festival dates and crawl back underground like The Strokes.

With that said, I don’t know what reason The Strokes have for not playing a proper tour in the US or UK. We know three members have small children, so trying to build a healthy home life and strengthen their relationships with their wives is probably a huge part of it. Another part could be to keep Albert on his path to sobriety — where throwing him into the fire of a long, laborious tour would be unhealthy for him and, in turn, the band.

The personal issues formed during the recording and touring of FIOE were probably another reason as well.

I understand that there were likely reasons behind it, it’s just frustrating for me — somebody who lives in one of the three biggest cities in the United States — to only have the chance to see them live at the Pearl Jam Festival, where I had to stand more than 500 feet away because PJ fans were awarded all the good seats.

I guess I’m like most people who comment on here in that I’m kind of angry about the touring of the last record. But I understand there were probably at least two really good reasons for it.

——

Reactions?

301 Heather April 7, 2012 at 1:54 pm

Why don’t you answer the question, this is not a forum, and why is that so hard to understand? Unless you run the news site which it seems this Eric guy does, you are spamming.

302 shadey April 7, 2012 at 2:19 pm

Hey party people, allow me to interrupt.

in case you a) don’t follow Albert Hammond, or b) don’t speak Spanish or c) both, check this little snippet out. A tweet from ten hours ago:

“@Renacuajooo ahora mismo estan ocupados gravando su quinto CD en New York besos oxoxoxoxoxo(*-* )”

Translated, “Right now they’re busy recording their fifth CD in New York.” And then the oxxoxoxox’s are kind of universally understood.

So that’s pretty neat.

303 Nicki April 7, 2012 at 3:17 pm

@shadey WHAT?! OMG!! But why haven’t they tweeted anything? Why are we hearing it from Albert’s dad? Weird.

304 Tommy Pickles April 7, 2012 at 5:50 pm

@heather, annie isn’t spamming. shes just an avid strokes fan, as is the rest of us on here. spamming would be her saying something completely irrelevent to the strokes or anything strokes related. but i think in almost every post she made she talks about the strokes or something strokes related. which definitley is not spam.

305 the modern age April 7, 2012 at 6:35 pm

@Heather, Annie isn’t spamming. Do you kn

306 the modern age April 7, 2012 at 6:38 pm

*know what spamming means? You don’t have to read these conversations you know. No one is taping your eyelids open forcing you go through the thread. Why don’t you go play on tumblr.

307 the modern age April 7, 2012 at 6:44 pm

@shadey, that’s so cool!! I wonder why we’re hearing from AH. Does he really know these details?

@Nicki, I know, it would be nice to hear from our guys, right?? They are so moody and secretive. I thought I heard somewhere they would be recording in LA. Maybe I’m wrong.

308 the modern age April 7, 2012 at 6:52 pm

@Annie1251, I’m really enjoying our conversations. Don’t pay attention to people who can’t think of anything decent to add to them. Don’t worry about the Julian solo thing! I’m sure he was great for most of his shows. His attitude was kind of off-putting, but he still sounded great, and H2E was bitchin. Maybe I’m just not as annoyed b/c I got to touch him, hahahaha. I’m sure I’ll get to see another Julian show one day. You too!

309 Annie 1251 April 7, 2012 at 7:29 pm

@ modern age & @Tommy Pickles

310 Savannah April 8, 2012 at 9:48 am

I have been looking at recent videos of there tour last year, and they actually looked pretty happy. If the guys really hated each other they would have not gone on with this album and quit.

311 Nicki April 8, 2012 at 10:55 am

@savannah I thought they looked pretty happy at most of their shows too I dunno what people are talking about… Jules was always joking around with Albert and fab and it looked like they were having a good time.

312 Savannah April 8, 2012 at 11:01 am

@Nicki. I think people are just over thinking everything. I don’t think Nick and Nikolai have ever really like joking around on stage.

313 kinglsey April 8, 2012 at 11:16 am

Guys guess what I’ve found.

A picture of Julian’s songwriting of The End Has No End !

How cool is that ?!

314 Annie 1251 April 8, 2012 at 12:09 pm

@kingsley
It’s very cool! One of my favorite songs from ROF.

315 Savannah April 8, 2012 at 3:45 pm

@kinglsey That’s really cool!! I wonder if he has anything else like that on the internet.

316 Heather April 9, 2012 at 11:40 am

@Modernage, good for you, you contribute 400 posts a day collectively with Annie Hall over here, I would have never guessed that The Strokes could exist to stimulate such dull conversation, but you’ve managed to pull it off.

I’m taking a wild guess that you earn under 100k a year.

317 the modern age April 9, 2012 at 12:18 pm

Lol, Heather you are a real charmer! Has anyone ever told you that? Have a great day :)

318 Savannah April 9, 2012 at 3:21 pm

Heather, why are you on here if you are just going to be a bitch. Ever heard the saying, if you’re not going to say something nice don’t say it at all. Try it.

319 Ash s. April 9, 2012 at 4:02 pm

@Heather fuck off, you’re a fucking cunt. Bitch better not hope i find u.cunt.

320 kinglsey April 10, 2012 at 4:44 am

@Ash s. get the fuck off this site and go to school.

321 Ash s. April 11, 2012 at 12:10 pm

@Kingsley I’ll fuck you where you stand, you pimple faced pig.

322 Jenny April 11, 2012 at 6:55 pm

@Ash get the fuck off this website you pale, cockney, misogynistic ass-faced twat. Piece of shit.

323 Ash s. April 12, 2012 at 6:45 pm

Don’t tell me who to website nuttin. NUTTIN!!

324 Jenny April 13, 2012 at 12:38 pm

@Ash You shut up, you shut up right now

325 Kris April 13, 2012 at 12:53 pm

Hell yeah I was at that United Center show. Kind of disappointed with Arctic Monkeys, I mean they’re my #2 (The Strokes are my gods, Arctic Monkeys my prophets, Black Keys my pastors), but they didn’t play loud enough. I was sitting far away and you had to try to hear Alex Turner and Co., and their setlist was troubling (what the hell, Pretty Visitors, come on? and I’m not trashing Humbug, Secret Door or Cornerstone would’ve been more appropriate amid classics like Crying Lightning, Flourescent Adolescent, and Hellcat Spangled Shalalalala-never know how many lalalas to add on). But Monkeys had it rough, they had to break the mic, open for a band who’s popularity has taken the opposite route as theirs…. Anyway, still loyal to Arctic Monkeys as ever and now a Black Keys convert, especially with the beautiful encore ‘Everlasting Light’, must be what sex with yetti or alien abduction is like. Rant off!

326 Ash s. April 13, 2012 at 1:14 pm

Don’t tell meshut up, you shut up

327 Jenny April 13, 2012 at 3:59 pm

@Ash I ain’t shuttin up for noone mate

328 Ash s. April 13, 2012 at 6:14 pm

Bitch better not hope i find

329 Jenny April 13, 2012 at 6:16 pm

@Ash get the fuck off this website

330 Ash s. April 20, 2012 at 3:40 pm

@Jenny gotohell !

331 Jenny April 20, 2012 at 3:52 pm

@Ash somebody hold me back bcuz dis bitch gon loose hur weave

332 Ash s. April 20, 2012 at 4:44 pm

@Jenny oh hell no b****

333 Jenny April 20, 2012 at 4:47 pm

Yo momma so ugly when she joined an ugly contest, they said “Sorry, No Professionals.”

334 Ash s. April 20, 2012 at 4:54 pm

Yo mama so old her birth certificate says expired on it.

335 Ash s. April 20, 2012 at 4:55 pm

POST CODE SE6 B*** bring it!

336 Jenny April 22, 2012 at 2:21 pm

@Ash you’re a vile, slut

337 Ash s. April 28, 2012 at 10:41 am

@jen stfu

338 kore dizileri izle July 24, 2012 at 11:34 pm

oh my god terrific put up admin will examine your blog often

339 mbt shoes las vegas July 25, 2012 at 10:48 am

Keep working ,remarkable job!

340 Tuyet Serramo August 3, 2012 at 7:27 am

Wow, superb weblog layout! How long have you been blogging for? you make blogging appear effortless. The overall appear of your internet site is magnificent, as effectively as the content material! xrumer 875079

341 Continue Reading August 3, 2012 at 10:12 pm

Hey there! Someone in my Myspace group shared this site with us so I came to take a appear. I

342 MMA News August 4, 2012 at 9:21 pm

Thank you for writing this tremendous top quality article. The information in this material confirms my point of view and you really laid it out well. I could never have written an article this good. 602355

343 more August 5, 2012 at 9:47 am

Hey! Nice stuff, do tell us when you post something like that! 172012

344 Find out how to get rid of bed bugs without chemicals August 20, 2012 at 10:47 am

The the next occasion I read a weblog, I genuinely hope so it doesnt disappoint me about brussels. Come on, man, Yes, it was my option to read, but I just thought youd have some thing intriguing to state. All I hear can be a great deal of whining about something which you could fix in case you werent too busy looking for attention. 478252

345 ACLS Certification Course August 27, 2012 at 7:20 pm

I dont think Ive read anything like this before. So good to find somebody with some original thoughts on this subject. thank for starting this up. This website is something that is needed on the web, someone with a little originality. Good job for bringing something new to the internet! 438971

346 Panoramaphotografie August 31, 2012 at 4:36 am

I agree with you. I wish I had your blogging style. 15756

347 msn españa September 5, 2012 at 5:57 pm

Hi there! Someone in my Myspace group shared this website with us so I came to give it a look. I

348 source September 6, 2012 at 4:47 pm

We maintain your page. Watch it offline once again soon. Quite intriguing post. 822683

349 advance loans September 12, 2012 at 7:17 pm

Hello. fantastic job. I did not expect this. This is a fantastic story. Thanks!

350 thestrokesonfire February 4, 2013 at 2:29 pm

I dont even know why you care or write about defending yourself or whatever your trying to do. just write whatever you want it’s the internet. With that said I am fucking pissed they didnt tour for Angles. I sure as fuck wasnt going to go to a festival just to see them and pay 10bucks for a 16 ounce beer.