Julian Casablancas + The Voidz on Le Grand Journal

They sounded really good on Le Grand Journal today.

Interview:

Where No Eagles Fly:

Dare I Care:

1 danedressa December 16, 2014 at 4:19 am

@TheEndsEnd
ow i’m sorry… I just saw that now that you mentioned. I didnt mean critcs… I’ve got up with the wrong word… criticisms is what i was aiming for. My bad!!
I tottally agree with you… “universal truth was a moment’s lie”… that’s just beautiful!

Regarding dare i care… i cant even imagine. Tyranny has some almost unreachable lyrics, but its good. It makes you come up with crazy,strange things, makes you think out of the box for a moment. Dare I care is the hardest in my opinion.

2 Jonathon December 16, 2014 at 10:28 am

@TheEndsEnd 100% wrong the critics did not like Angles or Comedown Machine more then the fans heres the proof.

Angles: 7.1 Metascore vs 7.5 User

Comedown Machine 6.8 Metascore vs User 7.8

3 SteveSpoon December 16, 2014 at 12:40 pm

Yeah, Comedown Machine kind of got slammed when it came out. But, I mean, the highest rated Strokes album on metacritic after ITI is Room on Fire with a 77. Critics haven’t liked them in a loooooong time.

4 The Man December 16, 2014 at 7:28 pm

@Jonathon The critics don’t use every opportunity to whine about it though.

5 Jonathon December 16, 2014 at 9:56 pm

@TheEndsEnd oh I mean The Man, I was responding to post 99, you were called out, now your making more false accusations.

As far as critics go, I blame them as much as the drugs for the current state of the strokes. Room on Fire too similar to Is this It one of the best albums of all time – shouldn’t be a problem. FIOE highly underrated yet trashed by the critics….So on and so fourth.

6 lettuce-face December 17, 2014 at 1:25 am

Dev n’ Alex doin’ Reptilia. So cooool!

7 Annie 1251 December 17, 2014 at 7:06 am

@In Her Prime
The button says “We’re doing our thing” – He wore it on Fallon.
Thought maybe Cult would sell them – maybe they will.
The other cool button you see him wearing ATT is made of leather and has a skull on it –
a friend of mine made him that one.

@anyone interested
This is a little interview/Danish Christmas quiz that Julian did. Jake is there too but you only get to hear him at the end.

Sidenote: Julian lived with his Danish grandparents for some summers when he was young.

8 Next Dimension December 17, 2014 at 7:35 am

Does anyone else feel as if Dare I care is talking about how Kesha was being taken advantage of? He mentions Doc Luke by name and we know he is friendly with her.

9 yeah December 17, 2014 at 8:47 am

@next dimension uh how does it relate to kesha at all?

i thought maybe he’s talking about how when he started critics and people tried saying he used his dad’s wealth and connects to become successful and they were some product placement type band so thats why he says “daddy i owe doc luke a mercedes” and after he says “barley up and I’m looking for jobs” which was the actual reality when he was starting the band.

10 Next Dimension December 17, 2014 at 9:26 am

@yeah

It seems to me the song is about someone being taken advantage of and then regretting it after the fact, but it’s too late.

“I want my money back
That wasn’t fun
The bricks and the gravel and the mud and the blood
Another wild teenager in search of success, welcome to the jewel of the modified west”

11 Mikey December 17, 2014 at 10:15 am

@Next Dimension- I absolutely believe it’s the Kesha incident referenced in that song. “your memory’s no good, leave your clothes on”. As well as Julian and Alex being close to her.

12 Annie 1251 December 17, 2014 at 10:17 am

NME asks the weirdest questions-
this is from their magazine coming out next week

@Next Dimension
I thought that line was about Kesha too – she dated Alex for a while and Julian worked on a song with her, and yes they are friends.

13 Melodica03 December 17, 2014 at 10:34 am

@ Yeah and @Next Dimension

I think this portion of the song is referring to the Pop Music world. He may have gained some inside information from his friendship with Kesha. The line:

“Daddy, I owe Doc Luke a Mercedes
Barely up and I’m looking for jobs.”

To me, this line is about the Pop Music producers like Dr. Luke who prey on young adults that want to be stars. They take advantage of them and these young kids make far less than their producers (ie. Dr. Luke) This guy (Dr.Luke) has multiple claims from stars like Lady Gaga and Kesha saying he rapped them and took advantage of them. So many young pop artists and even rock bands fall prey to false bright lights shown to them by record labels and producers that then use these musicians and pop stars to get rich and apparently for there physical needs as well. Messed up stuff.

No wonder JC is so sick of the big music industry. It is a sick F&*%ing industry.

14 TheEndsEnd December 17, 2014 at 11:23 am

Woah…

15 TheEndsEnd December 17, 2014 at 11:23 am

You guys are next level awesome. All this insight.

Any theories on what the very first two lines could possibly mean?

16 Kaos December 17, 2014 at 11:29 am

How would the chorus fit in with that anyways

17 Jonh December 17, 2014 at 11:55 am

They played Vega in Copenhagen last night and were great but critics hated them. Gave them like 2 stars and called Julian a spoiled rockstar. I really hate critics. I just can’t take them seriously anymore

18 Jonh December 17, 2014 at 12:03 pm

Sometimes it’s a bit weird seeing a record you think is great being called rubbish by critics, I guess he is used to it though. Haven’t really gotten much praise since Room on fire? And that’s some time ago

19 danedressa December 17, 2014 at 12:06 pm

hahaha that little danish christmas quiz was nice. Not too important or with any informations but was a cool entertainment with some well known julian’s laughs!!

20 yeah December 17, 2014 at 12:38 pm

i had no idea doc luke hade all that stuff going on. i thought him and julian were kind of friends or something and thats the only reason he worked on that song with kesha, didn’t know about all the rape allegations and stuff.

21 Next Dimension December 17, 2014 at 1:03 pm

Weirdly enough…Kesha said that Julian liked Dr. Luke previously…
“They just were down, and I was down. A friend of mine plays with Julian and we kind of knew each other, and Julian really likes Dr. Luke so they were talking, and it kind of happened oddly organically and in a strange way. I’m a huge fan of their music, and they’re on one of my favorite songs on the record.”

22 yeah December 17, 2014 at 1:29 pm

@theendhasnoend

i have no idea what the first two lines mean, he said something about son’s S.A.T’s which is why i thought those few lines were about his earlier life when he was trying to start the bad because julian never took the sat’s because he dropped out.

but yeah i agree its probably actually about the kesha thing.

23 Ibrahim December 17, 2014 at 5:23 pm

Guys, does anyone know if the video for Human Sadness is still going to be released someday?

24 In Her Prime December 17, 2014 at 6:42 pm

@Ibrahim, yes… good question. I am really looking forward to it and the fact that it is live is super cool. Like last nite! Someone remind me when was that interview with Julian done by a fan in which he said it would be released in 10 days or something along the lines of that? Unfortunately it wasn’t posted on this site and I have a busy day so I won’t be able to go searching for it.

25 lettuce-face December 17, 2014 at 7:13 pm

No vinyls till next year. 🙁

26 danedressa December 17, 2014 at 7:33 pm

@lettuce-face
Yeah, I got that email too… but it will be sent with a bonus item, right?! That’s kind of cool!

27 Mikey B December 17, 2014 at 10:22 pm
28 ___ December 18, 2014 at 2:37 am

Here’s hoping the bonus item is a dvd of the Human Sadness video

29 Annie 1251 December 18, 2014 at 6:08 am

Mikey B
Holy HELL that was a great performance!!!

@______
LOL
Everyone I talk to about the vid just keeps telling me “soon”

30 Melodica03 December 18, 2014 at 9:44 am

@TheEndHasNoEnd

“Hit the knee – ow – heck, they’re ready
S.O.N.’s SAT, how magenta are you?”

To me these first two lines are just qualifiers for the Doc Luke line. He is just trying to emphasize how young kids are when they are snatched by the industry and probably also criticizing how they evaluate intelligence as well.

“Hit the knee – ow- heck, they’re ready” – could be referring to when you are young and the doctor hits just below your knee with the rubber mallet to check your reflexes.

“S.O.N.’s SAT, how magenta are you?” – I am not sure on the acronym but SATs and scoring sound like what he is talking about. I took several classes in college studying graphs and pie charts. Most charts use magenta as color because is pops off the page. So this could be saying how smart are you.

If you take both lines and assume someone like Dr. Luke is saying them. He could be saying “You look old enough, how gullible are you and how long will it take you to react to me taking advantage of you.” Next line then talks about Doc Luke taking advantage of them.

But thats just my thoughts.

31 Next Dimension December 18, 2014 at 10:28 am

@Melodicao3
Good analysis! I agree.

32 Conrad December 18, 2014 at 1:03 pm

i haven’t seen this before, kinda cool performance

33 TheEndsEnd December 18, 2014 at 1:58 pm

@Melodica03 I LOVE that. Yes. This is sort of dark and fucked up, the whole situation, but damn if the song doesn’t encapsulate all of the now-trademark Voidz rage (and somehow, optimism).

34 wilson December 18, 2014 at 7:20 pm

@Annie 1251

I know it’s random but I just wanted to say thanks for posting the link for the Dare I care Le performance on Le Grand Journal. I’ve been overplaying the video, really wish I could see them again.

35 Matt December 18, 2014 at 10:50 pm

While we wait for our Human Sadness video, here’s the Phrazes Deluxe footage to hold us over:

36 thisissorare December 19, 2014 at 2:32 am
37 Kev December 19, 2014 at 6:51 am

@lettuce-face
I didn’t get any email about the vinyl and it still hasn’t arrived. What did the email say?

38 SAS December 19, 2014 at 7:38 am
39 SAS December 19, 2014 at 7:39 am

meant to say – JC & the Voidz gig at the Coronet on 7/12 had a great review in NME, scored a 9/10.

40 Mikey December 19, 2014 at 11:03 am

I love Phrazes but wow most of those acoustic performances were really bad.

41 Sega Blood December 19, 2014 at 2:20 pm

Looks like Voidz back in studio soon. JC tweeted that they will resume touring in May after “studio time.” Guessing he mean with Voidz not Strokes.

42 lettuce-face December 19, 2014 at 2:47 pm

@Kev and whoever else

The email says the Cult team doesnt know when they are going to be ready. The factory is swamped. They are offering a full refund if you want, but those wait it out get a bonus item. Its also stressed that the preorders from the U.S. will receive theirs first. Lastly, they mention that they will be putting up a new site next year.

43 Julia December 19, 2014 at 4:26 pm

Vinyl delays: http://www.wsj.com/articles/the-biggest-music-comeback-of-2014-vinyl-records-1418323133

I really hope JC + TV will tour in May! Already excited just thinking about it.

44 soma_summer December 22, 2014 at 6:43 pm

The LP/merch fuck ups, the cancelled tour dates. WTH is going on over at Cult? Growing pains maybe? And he thinks they can handle a Strokes release!
He mentioned in an interview a while back he was losing money on Cult and he considered it an “arts funding project.” Hope they can keep on trucking.

45 obat kanker payudara October 22, 2015 at 6:45 pm

46 Jayde February 22, 2017 at 1:01 am

Superb post but I was wanting to know should you could write a litte far more on this topic? I’d be quite thankful should you could eloaarbte slightly bit much more. Thanks!