Julian Casablancas + The Voidz are coming to Europe

JCTV1Julian Casablancas + The Voidz have announced a slew of European tour dates in December, and four dates in Australia. You can buy tickets here.

• LONDON, UK – DEC 7 – CORONET
  • PARIS, FR – DEC 8 – CASINO DE PARIS
  • ANTWERP, BE – DEC 10 – TRIX
  • AMSTERDAM, NL – DEC 12 – MELKWEG MAX
  • BERLIN, DE – DEC 13 – POSTBAHNHOF
  • HAMBURG, DE – DEC 14 – MOJO
  • COPENHAGEN, DK – DEC 16 – VEGA MAIN HALL
  • LORNE, VICTORIA – DEC 30 – FALLS FESTIVAL
  • MARION BAY, TASMANIA – DEC 31 – FALLS FESTIVAL
  • BYRON BAY, NSW – JAN 2 – FALLS FESTIVAL
  • BUSSELTON, WESTERN AUSTRALIA – JAN 4 – SOUTHBOUND FESTIVAL

1 Conrad October 6, 2014 at 8:57 am

Shit i live in Poland and don’t know if it will be better to choose Ldn or Berlin. Definately better crowd in UK

2 Shredder October 6, 2014 at 9:34 am

do you guys think they will visit Europe again in 2015 ??

3 Wolfsie October 6, 2014 at 9:46 am

@Shredder
I wouldn’t be surprised if they did some festivals in Europe next summer – other Cult acts did this year.

4 Ahora October 6, 2014 at 9:57 am

Julian will be with the strokes after this tour. Just like he did after Phrazes tour

5 Ze Stroker October 6, 2014 at 10:45 am

INmusic Festival or Terraneo (in my city :D) next year please!!!

6 Lamar Cöndom October 6, 2014 at 10:46 am

I hope this is it for JC & The Voidz. I’d rather Julian get back to working on The Strokes 6 sooner rather than later.

7 Matt October 6, 2014 at 6:06 pm

It’s been a week or two. Tyranny’s still pretty rad. Can’t wait to hear what’s next from Mr. Cas.

8 Mike P in Bay Ridge October 7, 2014 at 4:00 am

Good on them– those festival dates are big paydays. At this point, and I know this is heresy, but I’d rather have another Voidz record than another Strokes record.

9 Ryan Dombal October 7, 2014 at 5:13 am

my brookyln cubicle’s a straight-up mess from the amount of times i’ve barfed after seeing someone emulating jc’s cheesiness by writing “rad” or “chegg it out” on this forum/circlejerk.

10 SteveSpoon October 7, 2014 at 6:36 am

wait did julian invent the word “rad”, hope he puts that on his resume

11 Lynn Wiberg October 7, 2014 at 8:23 am

@Ryan

Look at what you just wrote??? Christ.

@Mike

I’m with ya. More stuff like Tyranny. I’m all about Strokes 6, as long as they way out do Angles and CM.

12 Greg October 7, 2014 at 8:55 am

If anyone knows of a presale link for the London show I would be very appreciative!

13 SAS October 7, 2014 at 10:20 am

7th London for me – hope tickets are easy to get hold of on Friday….@Mike – yeah, could be with you on that, except also hoping that TS now fuse JC’s new confidence and sound with the classic strokes sound – that could be something else too…

14 Shredder October 7, 2014 at 10:43 am

fuck it, im going to Amsterdam. Weed and Hookers +The Voidz

15 Lynn Wiberg October 7, 2014 at 11:43 am

@SAS

That would be the perfect Strokes album for me. The Strokes need some POWER for #6.

16 Matt October 7, 2014 at 12:37 pm

I thought CM and Angles were pretty rad. Go back and chegg’ it out, its got some dope tunes.

17 Lynn Wiberg October 7, 2014 at 12:46 pm

@Matt

Plenty of great tunes on both records! Life Is Simple in the Moonlight and Welcome To Japan are a couple of my top Strokes tracks. I personally just think they are both sub-First Impressions level.

18 Wes October 7, 2014 at 1:16 pm

Chegg it out, what’s rad is that the music gets to a point where a majority of it is great, and your personality then dictates your favorite palette of tracks.

19 Human Radness October 7, 2014 at 1:47 pm

I’m also in the boat of peeps that are more excited for the next Voidz release than the potential Strokes VI

20 SAS October 7, 2014 at 1:56 pm

@Matt & Wes – LOLz

21 Human Radness October 7, 2014 at 2:36 pm

I think Julian should combine Where No Eagles Fly and Johan Von Bronx and change the lryics to “my eagle is quite out of hand” and “my eagle is out of control” and it could be about having a pet eagle and trying to keep it in order

22 Me October 7, 2014 at 2:56 pm

Rad point, Wes.

23 Matt October 7, 2014 at 2:59 pm

Oh, what I meant was that I’m excited for whatever Jules is going to deliver next, be it a Strokes album or a Solo album. Hopefully it’s a Strokes album, that’d be rad.

24 Matt October 7, 2014 at 3:01 pm

But if it’s not Strokes VI, I’m sure it’ll still be pretty rad. I’d chegg’ it out as usual. But I’ll always be sitting here waiting for that Nick solo album.

25 Me October 7, 2014 at 3:05 pm

It would be interesting to hear what a Nick Valensi solo project would sound like.

26 D.I.D.I.P.P. October 7, 2014 at 5:05 pm

@Human Radness– yes!!! Get that damn bird under control!

27 Mike P in Bay Ridge October 7, 2014 at 7:23 pm

@Human Radness: Mind=Blown

I’m just really enjoying Tyranny, and for me it’s his best work since The Strokes first two records. Comedown Machine is actually my third favorite album of theirs. People often criticized JC for being a retro gimmick act, and I love hearing him be innovative in a new way.

Really weird that Valensi only plays the Dyaln/Petty etc. tribute fests as far as solo stuff goes. Seems like he’s just more comfortable not being the center of attention. Even at those festivals it’s really all about the artist being celebrated.

28 Me October 7, 2014 at 8:04 pm

Apparently, there is a new interview with Julian in the October issue of Rolling Stone. If anyone has scans, please post.

29 Wes October 7, 2014 at 10:30 pm

This partners demo by nick is rad https://soundcloud.com/casablanca-julius/nick-valensi-hamilton . Some of you might think it to be cheesy but it is indeed infectious!

30 Matt October 7, 2014 at 11:13 pm

Hey my alt soundcloud! I really wish I still had those other supposed tracks by Nick, though I do I have Adounia. I should probably throw that up there. If anyone does happen to have those other tracks (there were 5 or so) then please do post them. They were pretty rad.

I am almost certain now that “Hamilton” is legitimately Nick Valensi’s song. Still no confirmation from anyone, probably because he never wanted this to get out, but damn is it a wonderful, or should I say, rad song.

31 Matt October 7, 2014 at 11:15 pm

Here you guys go – Adounia by “Nick Valensi” :

32 thisissorare October 7, 2014 at 11:43 pm

Still hanging out for a sideshow in Australia! Pretty annoying how jc and voidz got announced after the tickets to falls already sold out!! Really cool album though, father electricity is nice.

33 woah October 8, 2014 at 1:12 am

“It’s still fun to see people react. But do I emotionally feel anything from it? No. Like a little while ago, I saw someone perform a cover of some Top 40 song in an empty bar, like he probably just learned it two days ago. He was probably enjoying playing that more than I enjoy playing ‘Last Nite.’ I just smiled about it.”

from the new Jules interview in RS, talking about playing Strokes shows. this is so sad 🙁

34 Ubu October 8, 2014 at 8:11 am

@woah
That’s perfectly logical, how could one expect him to play the exact same song hundreds of times , a song which he wrote when he was young and his life was completely different, and still get excited about it?
I’ve always wondered how people like Paul McCartney or bands like the Beach Boys keep playing the same tunes since the 60s/70s without getting completely fed up with it.
I mean, do you guys enjoy the same things you enjoyed a few years ago?

35 SteveSpoon October 8, 2014 at 8:27 am

@ woah

Is that just in regards to Strokes songs in general or just their earlier stuff? I don’t blame him getting tired of playing stuff from their debut album, most bands that have been around for as long as they have barely do that.

@ Ubu
I dunno, but when I saw Macca and Brian Wilson last year they both seemed to be really enjoying playing material that dates back to the early 60s. But, then again, you have dudes like Robert Plant or Dylan who radically rework their older stuff or simply don’t play it.

36 Ryan Dombal October 8, 2014 at 8:57 am

my plaid shirt, leather jacket, and desert boots are all covered in barf. i hope you guys are happy, im going to have to switch to an oversized jean jacket with the sleeves torn off to go over my bare chest now.

37 Anthony L. October 8, 2014 at 12:51 pm

^why are you even here? You dislike everything strokes related. Don’t you have some more half assed reviews to write?

38 Lamar Cöndom October 8, 2014 at 1:08 pm

Why is he even a mod? There is some funny business going on here!

39 Bryan October 8, 2014 at 2:54 pm

@woah I have a problem with this quote. On one hand I can understand him being tired of playing the same song over and over but on the other hand, dude you get to earn money playing rock music, try working a 9-5 for 20+ years then tell me how bored you are. This lack of perspective seems to effect the Strokes more then most bands. Forgetting lyrics and generally coming across as not caring about the fans.

40 _ October 8, 2014 at 3:20 pm
41 Me October 8, 2014 at 4:56 pm

So NME gave Tyranny a crappy review. Interesting. I’d really like to hear what some of Julian’s peers think of this record. Also, I think some people are forgetting that this was a collaborative project.

42 Alan October 9, 2014 at 1:40 am

Bryan October 8, 2014 at 2:54 pm

Agree 100%. Even if he is really bored, he could at least have worded the quote in a better way to not make the fans look like assholes who watch a concert of a guy who doesn’t even want to be there…

43 Hooray! October 9, 2014 at 6:56 am

@Me

Where is NME’s review…? I can’t find it.

44 GS October 9, 2014 at 7:11 am

Where’s the NME review?

45 _ October 9, 2014 at 7:11 am
46 _ October 9, 2014 at 7:22 am
47 Me October 9, 2014 at 8:41 am

The NME review is on the She’s Fixing Her Hair site.

48 Me October 9, 2014 at 8:52 am

@Alan: I think this is just another case of The Rolling Stone writing something in a context that makes a comment sound more negative than it was meant to sound. They did the same thing to Jack White. I really don’t think Julian meant it the way some people are taking it.

49 GS October 9, 2014 at 8:54 am

@ Me

Thanks. Would you post the link? I just checked the website and was still unable to locate the NME review of Tyranny. Thanks.

50 Me October 9, 2014 at 8:58 am