Julian Casablancas is coming back, will play 2 Lollapalooza festivals in South America (& Festival Estereo)

I’d been hearing grumblings that Julian was going to play Lollapaloozas in Chile, Argentina and Brazil, and I was very skeptical until tonight.

It turns out the rumors are true. Julian Casablancas, solo artist, is coming back.

Chile and Argentina both announced their lineups tonight, and Julian is high up on the bill for both festivals. It seems like, given that he’s so high up on the bill, he’ll be armed with new material at that point. I would expect a new album from him to be released (via Cult Records) at some point between now and late March, but that’s only a guess.

Lollapalooza Chile takes place from March 29-30, and Lollapalooza Argentina takes place from April 1-2.

UPDATE:ย Julian is also slated to play Colombia’s Festival Estereo, which will take place from April 3-5.

1 Ben B. November 4, 2013 at 9:15 pm

Good for Julian

2 Skye November 4, 2013 at 9:20 pm

Not gonna lie. I would LOVE a new album from Julian…

3 Ben B. November 4, 2013 at 9:21 pm

not gonna lie Skye, i think everyone would love a new album from Julian…

4 Annie 1251 November 4, 2013 at 9:22 pm

๐Ÿ˜€ PLEASE TOUR THE US PLEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEZZZZZZ!!!

AND NEW JULIAN MUSIC MY HEAD IS EXPLODING! ๐Ÿ˜€

5 Cinthya November 4, 2013 at 9:23 pm

he will be performing at Estereo Picnic colombia in april: http://www.festivalestereopicnic.com/

6 Annie 1251 November 4, 2013 at 9:24 pm

@Skye & Ben B.
I KNOW I WOULD LOVE A NEW ALBUM FROM JULIAN!!!!

7 mateja November 4, 2013 at 9:33 pm

Julian new EP? “Spacejam”?

8 mateja November 4, 2013 at 9:34 pm
9 Santiago Rodriguez November 4, 2013 at 9:45 pm
10 WHATTHEFUCKWHASTHAT November 4, 2013 at 9:47 pm
11 WHATTHEFUCKWHASTHAT November 4, 2013 at 9:48 pm

@Mateja
thanks for the discovery too

12 mateja November 4, 2013 at 10:14 pm

That logo appears in the Julian’s microsite at the Lolla website (http://www.lollapaloozaar.com/2014-artist/julian-casablancas) and if you check the URL it says Spacejam

Maybe some of the Julian die hard fans in here could clarify if that is a random old image of the Phrazes era or not.

13 Alejandra November 4, 2013 at 10:14 pm

I live in Bogotรก and yes, I’m crying.

14 A Minor 4-4 November 4, 2013 at 10:48 pm

So am I the only one really bummed out that The Strokes arent coming back for a while longer?

15 Sean November 4, 2013 at 11:00 pm

I kinda think Julian’s solo work may be the best avenue to pursue for anyone who only follows the Strokes’ hoping they’ll bring back that signature Strokes’ sound from 2001 and 2003. Sure, the Strokes are still making awesome music that I love with all members contributing, but I think everyone can agree that it is different than ISI and ROF. And that’s just because more voices are in the songwriting process.

Obviously this is complete speculation, but I think it’s reasonable to think, if Julian really is coming back as a solo artist, that he may have put energy into the project that’s comparable to the energy he put into ISI and ROF. This statement assumes he is less involved in the newer material, which I think is a suspicion many people have, I certainly do.

So, if you’re here for the Strokes of old I would follow Julian’s solo stuff closely. Not because it will have the sound of the Strokes of old (the straight garage rock vibe probably won’t be frequent, more electronic-guitar rock), but because the songwriting process will be the same as the first two Strokes albums. That is, Julian Casablancas is the primary contributor and is invested 100% (I’m not saying he wasn’t 100% invested in Comedown Machine, but he WAS less than 100% invested in the Angles songwriting, so there is a chance he wasn’t back to 100%).

This is just a theory though.

Thoughts?

16 Stevie November 4, 2013 at 11:06 pm

Anyone see the picture of a text circulating around Tumblr? Says Julian will be touring in the first half of 2014 and The Strokes will be touring the second half. Doesn’t even seem like a remote possibility, but its nice to dream. After all, exact same thing happened in 2010 and it seems like they like to surprise us now.

17 Eric Van Dril November 4, 2013 at 11:12 pm

A Minor 4-4 — No, you’re not. I’m pretty bummed too. I’ve seen so many great shows this year — QOTSA, Phoenix, Arctic Monkeys, The National, etc. — and I’m upset that The Strokes aren’t going to be on that list.

I’m kind of lukewarm about their side projects lately, even though Julian’s will probably be interesting to listen to. I want to see the version of The Strokes who seemed to enjoy playing concerts together. That band seems to have disappeared, or maybe my disappointment is making me forget some concert(s) in 2010/2011 where they seemed to enjoy what they were doing.

18 Eric Van Dril November 4, 2013 at 11:13 pm

@Stevie — Yeah, that’s highly unlikely. Julian seems to get burned out from a month of touring. I can’t imagine what a year would do to him.

19 Phantasm November 5, 2013 at 2:09 am

i just played a four chords of julians new song and its already sounds awesome/bring on 2014

20 Wolfsiee November 5, 2013 at 3:10 am

@Andres
Good call!! You predicted this weeks ago!

@ Mateja
That’s a new pic unless I’m mistaken…

Guys I don’t think this is a bad thing for TS. Albert already said he plans to record a second EP after touring. I bet we see TS working on new stuff later in 2014. In the meantime we get new music and tours from Albert and probably Julian. And at least for Albert – at small venues, that’s great! I’m so happy! TS will always be back – Albert said so! Meanwhile, I cannot wait to see Albert in December!

21 FrenchConnection November 5, 2013 at 4:01 am

cool

maybe an ep

@Sean : I think that Julian was 100% invested in Comedown Machine, because his work on his voice is exceptionnal

Tap Out, OWT, 80’s Com’, Japan, Slow Animal, Partner in Crime, Call It : it’s him, with the Strokes of course (Albert), but it’s him

Tap Out, Slow Animal, 11th Dimension and Instant Crush (with Daft Punk) are maybe his best songs, it’s very sophisticated

22 ACB November 5, 2013 at 5:32 am

I wonder who Julian will use as a 3rd guitarist now that Danielle Haim’s own band is taking off… I hear that Nick Valensi fellow isn’t up to anything. His everyday band is on some kinda mystery hiatus. ๐Ÿ˜‰

23 Ahora November 5, 2013 at 5:43 am

Less keyboards and more guitars please.

24 Gibson November 5, 2013 at 8:24 am

Less keyboards or not. I just want Jules to put out exceptional work and a tour in the states. Thats all.

25 Matt November 5, 2013 at 9:13 am

With all the guys doing their own thing, I’m wondering what the two N’s have been up to.

26 LillySu November 5, 2013 at 9:25 am

And in Europe, please!!!!

I’m so excited about his new stuff. Not less than I would be with new Strokes material. I expect something amazing.

27 mateja November 5, 2013 at 11:06 am

Also, is going to be interesting to see his stage presence during this new era.

I mean, I can’t imagine the vague and boring Julian of the last tour playing the funny and danceable songs from his catalog. He should regain his confidence again to play solo.

28 Eric Van Dril November 5, 2013 at 1:31 pm

@Matt — Probably just being dads and being involved in their kids’ lives.

29 AutomaticStop November 5, 2013 at 2:45 pm

It’ll depend on what Julian releases. If it’s a full-lengh, I don’t see any Strokes recordings until at least 2015. If it’s just an EP, I can see TS recording in late 2014. A Julian solo is as close as it will get to TS. With the way TS have operated recently – a more “collaborative” effort, Julian’s solo stuff might actually be more true to the original TS days in some ways. Phrazes was so good that I’d rank it #3 behind ITI and ROF in all TS-related albums.

30 Will November 5, 2013 at 3:12 pm

I agree with you automatic stop.

31 Kinger November 5, 2013 at 4:31 pm
32 the modern age November 5, 2013 at 5:38 pm

This is great! I’m really enjoying all the different things they have going on right now.

33 heather November 5, 2013 at 5:41 pm

A new solo record from Julian? F yes!

34 Next Dimension November 5, 2013 at 8:08 pm

Space Jam!

35 Gibson November 5, 2013 at 9:11 pm

Is space jam a new song?

36 LillySu November 5, 2013 at 11:28 pm

We’ll see. Soon…

@AutomaticStop
Agree about ranking TS related albums.

37 Tennessee November 6, 2013 at 3:21 am

I read your comments for a while but never left mine. Firstly I have to tell you all that I really enjoy reading all your entries and your sharing of information is amazing.

It would be just awesome, if there would be a new album from Julian – although
we are all waiting for the Strokes to come back to the scene and hit the roads with a worldtour I think it’s very unlikely that this happens sometimes soon…
Instead I already thought about travelling almost the half world to see Julian live..
Would be just the coolest thing on earth to get to see him playing life – just once in a lifetime would mean a lot to me – even if Julian is playing alone without other members of TS!!

Do you think he will play on other festivals too?
If not I have to change my travel plans for next year ๐Ÿ™‚

38 FrenchConnection November 6, 2013 at 3:36 am

my ranking TS album : ROF, ITI, CM, FIOE……………………………………………………. Angles

but the best TS album is their “fourth” (2008-2013) :

1. Tap Out
2. My Drive Thru (feat Pharrell/Santigold)
3. Under Cover of Darkness
4. 11th Dimension
5. One Way Trigger
6. Little Girl (feat Sparklehorse)
7. Slow Animal
8. 80’s Comedown Machine
9. Tourist
10. Instant Crush (feat Daft Punk)
11. Life Is Simple in The Moonlight

BRILLIANT

39 Kev November 6, 2013 at 6:36 am

We all know the real magic happens when the 5 Strokes get together. Julian was in 100% control of his solo band and the videos I saw were just ok. I didn’t even buy Phrazes. To each his/her own, of course, but I only REALLY get fired up when the news involves The Strokes doing something together. I’ll totally listen to whatever any of the guys do though, because it’s Strokes-related.

40 Next Dimension November 6, 2013 at 9:19 am

Space Jam is the rumored name for the new album on twitter.

41 Dracula's Lunch November 6, 2013 at 11:57 am

I deeply hope that ‘Space Jam’ is the name. Its awesome for so many reasons.

42 I'm So STROKED!!!! November 6, 2013 at 3:03 pm

ALBERT HAMMOND JR. | 2013 | NOV 3 | D.C. SHOW IN FULL:

yo

43 I'm So STROKED!!!! November 6, 2013 at 3:03 pm

ALBERT HAMMOND JR. | 2013 | NOV. 3 | D.C. SHOW IN FULL:

you’re welcome.

44 yeah November 6, 2013 at 3:30 pm

no way is julian’s new stuff going to sound anything like old strokes stuff, it will def be the least stroksey stuff because he’ll make stroksey stuff with the strokes

his new stuff will be the most out there stuff, he said in so many interviews about how he doesn’t want his solo stuff to sound like the strokes at all and he was actually being “safe” on phrazes but his next stuff will be more what he wants so i expect even more weird synth/keyboard deranged pop stuff and I’m excited.

45 Next Dimension November 6, 2013 at 4:38 pm

I’m hopeful Julian will do some sort of tour of the east coast at least. Anyone else going Friday (Boston) to see Albert?

46 coconuts November 6, 2013 at 7:06 pm

surely he would at least do a show in LA, so I’m hopeful he wouldn’t completely ignore the west coast ๐Ÿ™‚
also hope he’ll do some smaller shows that are NOT Festivals
you do get to see more bands/music at a Festival, but I would personally prefer a more intimate venue

47 JD November 6, 2013 at 9:01 pm

Do you think he’ll play any shows in Europe?

I’m from Latin America and i’ve been waiting for about 10 years for a chance to see The Strokes live, or in this case just one of them. Finally i’m old enough and have enough money to travel on my own and i’ll be on England by the time of both Lollapalooza and Estereo Picnic festivals ๐Ÿ™

48 JDStrokes November 6, 2013 at 9:03 pm

Sorry, i noticed there’s another person with the user name “JD”. I usually just read and don’t post anything…I’ll be using this user name from now on

49 God November 7, 2013 at 9:26 pm

You guys will forever be in my debt for this. This only happened because I demanded it happen.

50 TuPapi November 8, 2013 at 8:22 pm

@ Sean

You are cookoo for 2001 bra’……… not happenin. Julian’s work is even beyond the sound last two strokes albums and the new sound is just the band’s evolution, heavily influenced by, yes, Jules.

2001 and 2003 Strokes sound is not coming back. It never will. Mainly because the Strokes realize they will be f*cking with the integrity of that sound if they continue to seek it during a different time capsule which may no longer embody that sound/swagger. I think they are thinking of legacy at this point and if they care, like I assume they do, they will not attempt to sound the same.

Comedown Machine is a work of art (IMHO).