Julian Casablancas is coming back, will play 2 Lollapalooza festivals in South America (& Festival Estereo)

I’d been hearing grumblings that Julian was going to play Lollapaloozas in Chile, Argentina and Brazil, and I was very skeptical until tonight.

It turns out the rumors are true. Julian Casablancas, solo artist, is coming back.

Chile and Argentina both announced their lineups tonight, and Julian is high up on the bill for both festivals. It seems like, given that he’s so high up on the bill, he’ll be armed with new material at that point. I would expect a new album from him to be released (via Cult Records) at some point between now and late March, but that’s only a guess.

Lollapalooza Chile takes place from March 29-30, and Lollapalooza Argentina takes place from April 1-2.

UPDATE:Ā Julian is also slated to play Colombia’s Festival Estereo, which will take place from April 3-5.

1 Annie 1251 November 9, 2013 at 7:27 am

@TuPapi
Hey good to see you! and I agree with every word of your post.

Julian has been talking in interviews about progressing (in music) as soon as ITI came out. It’s what he DOES- it’s what he IS – it’s what he’s all about. Moving forward, creating – he’s an artist in the truest sense.

I just saw an interview from the Phrazes tour where he talks about how on the first Strokes record he wanted:
“stuff to be simple. This time (for Phrazes) I wanted to make it complex-two different melodies, two drum beats. Kind of a rainbow, mega thing.”
(lol Julianspeak).

What I thought was interesting is that he went on to say that maybe next time he would do it simpler.
“Maybe I offended some people’s ears- “There’s too many notes,” like in Amadeus.” and then he laughs.

I actually don’t think he could go too simple at this point. His writing is out there on some other plane.
I am very curious to see what Julian will come up with next!
and I agree with Yeah’s post:

“i expect even more weird synth/keyboard deranged pop stuff and Iā€™m excited.”

2 Annie 1251 November 9, 2013 at 10:38 am

@Stevie & @Eric
Although Julian touring for the first half of 2014/TS the second half would be AMAZING and I would LOVE THAT, I think TS would have to “re-group” (not to make a pun, lol) after Albert and Julian’s solo stuff and would work on new stuff together before they would tour.

But who knows? in 2010 Julian finished touring solo and TS then did some festivals.
I’m just hoping that Julian AND TS will tour some smaller venues and not just festivals. Fingers crossed.

@Eric
I disagree that Julian gets “burned out after a month of touring”. After his first few solo shows – and trying to figure out how to perform sober (it seemed like a strange experience for him at first)-he seemed to LOVE touring for Phrazes. He said over and over in interviews that it was “the most fun he’s ever had on tour”. By the end of the Phrazes tour he appeared to be having the time of his life.
So many reviewers commented on exactly that.

Here’s April 2010 – Julian doing “stand-up” lol.
Background story if anyone is not familiar – some girls were dancing to his music – these bigger guys started shoving them telling them to stop. Julian noticed all this WHILE he was singing- and then addresses the audience with this little comedy act:

That right there is a man having a freaking BLAST on stage. loved how he told people they could “go stand in the back” šŸ™‚ and “I’m just sayin”

IMO Julian got worn out with all the tense inner-band situation when TS toured for Angles. It seemed to really drag him down. Except for the MSG performance-which was apparently phenomenal (and early in the Angles tour) with Julian on top of his game-

-it seems as the tour went on that all TS got worn out from the tense stuff. But of course it is easier to see it in a frontman. Or maybe it just bothered him more. who knows.

But I am thinking that they have since worked through alot of that stuff by now – so if TS do tour again – I think they will all be much more energized! and I think they will ONLY tour if all five of them are excited to do it. So it will be AWESOME when they finally make their way back to the stage together!

3 Gibson November 9, 2013 at 7:26 pm

“Guise chill, chilllll” Omg that was gold! Thanks for posting that Annie!

4 Next Dimension November 10, 2013 at 5:13 am

So I saw Albert Friday night in Boston and got to meet him after the show (and take a picture). Wow! What an amazing show. The crowd (Probably 350ish people) were really into it and singing along the whole time. It got a little wild at the end with the women throwing their bras on the stage ha, but it was a really good show. Albert ended up keeping both of them after playing the rest of the show with the bras hanging out of his pocket. I was right up on the stage for most of it. Did anyone else go?

5 Wolfsie November 10, 2013 at 8:15 am

@next dimension

Alberts shows sound so great! I’m really happy you got to meet him too. I am so looking forward to seeing him in December and I hope he’s still as friendly with his fans then!

6 Gipsy November 10, 2013 at 4:36 pm

Thanks, Annie1251! I’d not seen that MSG review before.

“It takes a lot to impress Strokes fans. A lot.” šŸ™‚

7 elasticaman November 10, 2013 at 9:17 pm

coachella bound!!!!

8 AtticusEff November 24, 2013 at 4:10 am

Oh please please please let us have another Julian solo album in the next few months. That would be such a wonderful way to start the New Year. I wish I could go to South America and see one of the shows though. I can’t even imagine where he’s gonna go with his sound next. Can’t wait to see though.

9 Rick Shadow December 30, 2013 at 1:37 pm

I guesssing a solo album coming out this year.