Watch: The Strokes — ‘Threat of Joy’ (official video)

imageThe Threat of Joy video, directed by Warren Fu, has hit the web. Watch it here.

I’ve said this before, but it’s great to have The Strokes back and active.

1 awww June 28, 2016 at 8:24 am

hahah it’s so bizarre I love it. they really look like they’re having fun which is great to see

2 Miguel June 28, 2016 at 8:29 am

Looks like Oblivius shutdown was really serious and really makes you wonder!!
By the way this video is great!!!!

3 Miguel June 28, 2016 at 8:42 am

By the way I don’t know why I said by the way in the previous comment lol

4 DragQueen June 28, 2016 at 9:22 am

cool weird stuff

5 RRRR June 28, 2016 at 11:09 am

loved it! never expected to have a laugh with the vid

6 Gagashi June 28, 2016 at 2:29 pm

@Miguel, agreed (with you first comment). I was thinking about that too, BY THE WAY the whole video makes you wonder

7 Gagashi June 28, 2016 at 2:31 pm

*your – I meant.

8 Clayton0693 June 28, 2016 at 4:58 pm

Its cool to see Nick using a Silvertone 1484 amp in this video.

9 Mike P June 28, 2016 at 5:30 pm

I think it’s time to change the header and the web preview text. Instead of “All angles” of the band, how about the “future, present, and past” of the band 😉

Or don’t. You do a great job.

Thanks Eric, for running a great site.

10 Q.Bridges June 28, 2016 at 6:03 pm

tee hee hee! oh man, funniest video since ‘someday’…or at least the beginning of ‘juicebox’. thumbs up!

11 Mikey June 28, 2016 at 7:13 pm

Unless my ears are shitty, why is Albert playing an acoustic in the video when it sounds electric?

12 AutomaticStop June 28, 2016 at 7:26 pm

This and the Drag Queen video are the two of the best Strokes videos ever.

13 Mikey B June 28, 2016 at 8:20 pm

Isn’t that main girl one of the girls from glee? The same girl that played Brandon Flowers female version in the just another girl video? She got that warren fu connection lol. Both vids directed by him

14 Wes June 28, 2016 at 10:05 pm

Oblivius got shut down because Julian trashes wall street in it, and the Strokes are still somewhat dependent on wall street, which……..is funny. Julian is basically Darth Vader saving Luke

15 Thunderclap June 28, 2016 at 10:58 pm

*The Strokes came from wall st

16 Wes June 28, 2016 at 11:01 pm

Royalties doe! I wonder what % of the rights to Strokes music are owned by BMG

17 so June 29, 2016 at 11:11 am

so why aren’t more people talking about this? possibly th ecoolsest strokes video ever made. wow summer fun. thank you strokes.
wonder if they’re recording n album right now as we speak..

18 Bernie Supporter June 29, 2016 at 11:52 am

Was there actual content that got censored in the Oblivious video that prevented them from releasing it?

I thought there was, but maybe I’m wrong.

19 Miguel June 29, 2016 at 12:45 pm

@Bernie Supporter Yeah they make it seem like that (“Due to circumstances we are not at liberty to discuss…”), which is really weird and even shocking if that really happened.

20 Bernie Supporter June 29, 2016 at 12:50 pm

Right? like…Independent record labels being censored in that way, art from The Strokes being censored. Julian has been dropping hits about how corrupt since before Is This It dropped though…Consistent message from that awesome man.

He, and The Strokes have done so much good for the world. God bless them.

21 Strokesy June 29, 2016 at 3:04 pm

I love the EP, but guys this is terrible. Cringeworthy. How gullible are some of you actually believing the Oblivion video was shut down because it was too political. Ever see a Rage against the Machine video? They actually get arrested for playing outside the NY Stock exchange in Sleep now in the Fire. Its good that some of you are more social conscious if not only because now your idol is but this just comes across as spoiled rock star with nothing better to protest.

This is almost as bad as beardos Where no Eagles Fly video. Another great song with a terrible video.

22 Yung Zone June 29, 2016 at 4:17 pm

^^^man what you talking abouttttt Where No eagles fly is an incrediblely cool vid

And while I dont think this vid is that cool. It will prolly be rlly cool years from now when we look back and say Jules wouldnt dance when he was young but he did that shit pretty tight in Instant Crush, and in this Vid ppl will talk about how he was a lot more comfortable acting goofy. I really find that dancing with the girl stuff funny.
And thats prolly his plan to maintain his trademark machismo, not charming for a 37 year old to be standoffish. And lets be real JC+the strokes have sold off machismo + charm. Part of what makes them such an all time great band. Fanbase is like equally guys and girls

23 lettucefase June 29, 2016 at 5:05 pm

@Mikey did you not see the pickup? There are hybrid acoustic-electric guitars.

What is the “Julian dancing with a bunch of people in colourful clothing” segment supposed to mean?

24 Dude June 29, 2016 at 5:44 pm

It is just a music videa guys. It doesnt matter whether he is playing an acoutic or violin. You can hit a drum in the water and still sounded the same (YOLO clip). The only MV they recorded live was Last Nite.

25 LeavingIt June 29, 2016 at 5:47 pm

Every time I see the still shot for this video, I think Julian is sitting there with his pinky stuck up his nose, mouth agape for better reach. I’m like, “Wow, yeah, he’s getting a little TOO comfortable!” 😀

Re political bullsh*t: sounds like a bunch of nonsense drama. Shut down a MUSIC video because it’s too political? Please. That’s not even realistic in any sense, but ESPECIALLY for the Strokes. Since when have they danced to anyone else’s tune? Someone “thinks” they heard something about it, and now it’s a wildfire rumor.

Re video: For whatever reason, Julian’s antics in this don’t seem at all out of character to me. Kinda diggin’ the glasses, and my, doesn’t he do that little dance well? Anyway, the whole guys-playing-cards-in-a-dark-room-someone-steals-the-goods-etc-etc all seems vaguely familiar, like it’s referencing another video, or a movie… Only I think it involved a briefcase (??) and it was the good guys getting the drop on the bad guys (??) I know I’ve seen that setup before. Anyone? Anyone? (This is going to drive me crazy.)

26 LeavingIt June 29, 2016 at 5:48 pm

WALLSTREET: We work so you don’t have to. Brilliant.

27 demon_strokes June 29, 2016 at 5:50 pm

@dude
Don’t forget The Modern Age

28 Bernie Supporter June 29, 2016 at 9:35 pm

I like how some people are like “YOU’RE SO GULLIBLE, DO YOU EVEN LISTEN TO RAGE AGAINST THE MACHINE!!??!??!”

Not asking questions and being so sure about something is way worse than gullible, it’s dangerous and, well, a buzzkill. Why come on here to be a tool/jackass who isn’t interested in discussing the art of the matter, but just blast people?

I feel like I read another article that said The Strokes video had been flagged and couldn’t be released before this video was, and since I couldn’t find it that’s why I came here….and asked.

All that said, hands down the best Strokes video yet. The others are unbelievably amazing, not knocking them…but this one is something else. The production quality, the personality put in, the socially conscious message, the music, the story…come on!

And in my opinion…the way I see The Strokes/Julian Casablancas is there were people in the 1700’s who thought Mozart and Beethoven were hacks. There are people now that say Bernie Sanders is a hack. There are people who think Justin Bieber is the savior of humanity.

Just tune out the god damn haters. Let them be. Be yourself…and create some art. It’s not hard.

29 Bernie Supporter June 29, 2016 at 9:54 pm

@Dude…don’t forget Human Sadness. It is also a live performance, and you make a good point. I think Last Nite, just….for what it is, is their best music video, if I had to choose because of the live aspect and..well…you’ve seen the video. Being their 2nd video, and the hype that had before their album was released. I think it’s genius the way they did it. I’d like to think it was Julian’s idea…but either way they delivered.

The Strokes are something else…all 5 of them. I love them so. Julian is even on another level though.

2nd best video to me? Hands down, Threat Of Joy for the reasons mentioned above…I mean, it’s pretty genius!

One of the things I’ve always loved about The Strokes is how they combine personal feelings/situations with greater ones. It’s really a staple in their music and this video really brings that out in this song. It perfectly compliments the song.

30 Mikey B June 29, 2016 at 10:14 pm

The ending gives the viewer the idea that they still have the footage, so maybe one day they’ll put it out. I doubt it’s a crazy as they claim, but I mean none of us can say for sure….

31 Bernie Supporter June 29, 2016 at 11:26 pm

@Mikey B: True.

@Julian Casablancas, Humanity or Music fans: Don’t forget Culture Voidz second episode is in a few hours. It says it starts from 5p-6p Central Standard Time(6-7 Eastern). I assume they know my time zone. Stoked!

32 Casablancas June 30, 2016 at 4:37 am

Guys it’s just a joke! They never wanted to do a viedeo for oblivious!
It’s part of the whole story… That’s why Julian said they wanted to do a video for oblivious first but blablabla…. Because he already knew the storyline of the video. If you know the humor of the strokes then it seems pretty obvious

Love the video! Reminds me of 80s Spielberg movies and Michael Jackson videos/ movies

33 LillySu June 30, 2016 at 7:58 am

@Casablancas
I agree, it was just hype for ToJ video. Not actually happened. But how genius to drop that info. Now a lot of people are wondering about it…

@Barnie
6pm is beginning of Culture Voidz where? In NYC? It means for us in Europe it’s 6 hours later, like at midnight. Am I wrong?

34 LillySu June 30, 2016 at 8:27 am

BTW, I love how video has so many interesting details in it. Warren appearing there like Hitchcock always did in his movies; world map in pig’s office reminding me of world map in H2E; girl at the end holding the missing footage with the black glove, like the one from ITI cover: Warren’s line “Hey, who shut off the lights?” when they put black bag on his head must be reference to something too (Doctor Who maybe?); Julian keeping his eyes closed and all of them acting disinterested while SWAT guys running in is like saying “we don’t notice what’s happening around us”; great camera work, always so elegantly moving; some scenes in video like have been stolen from 60s bands; James Bond vibe everywhere; Bollywood dancing scenes are priceless: and so much more…

35 Miguel June 30, 2016 at 9:28 am

@LillySu Totally agree with you love how the video was shot so smooth and elegant, personaly love the scene where the mirror ball lights up and Albert is playing guitar and the girl hands him the footage, and the scene where they are all in that office and the girl walks by and they all look at her and then they replay it with a different “camera” and you see that she was only distracting them to help the others get the footage…just a great, beautiful, meaningfull and funny video in my opinion

36 lettucefase June 30, 2016 at 10:29 am

@Dude
doesnt negate what i said.

37 El Pedro June 30, 2016 at 11:21 am

@Strokesy

Mic Drop

Well put. Rage set the tone. I miss Rage.

38 Joseph A June 30, 2016 at 1:34 pm

6pm EST time for the new installment of Culture Void

39 Yung Zone June 30, 2016 at 3:16 pm

whats going down with that episode 2?

40 lit2pop June 30, 2016 at 3:59 pm

The best parts of the video are the bits at the end of the choruses, esp the second one when theyre all in a line, reminds me of the Beatles pissing about on their sets

41 Anthony C June 30, 2016 at 9:14 pm

Julian drop any intersting info or anything to talk about on the new episode of Culture Void?

42 Joseph A July 1, 2016 at 7:51 am

https://soundcloud.com/minaroci/culture-void-ep-2 Episode 2 I only listened to it halfway and haven’t heard anything new on Strokes or Voidz.

43 soma July 1, 2016 at 9:04 am

@Bloodpints band Minor Gems just posted a new track. They definitely deserve a listen

44 Yung Zone July 1, 2016 at 9:21 am

fire playlist that blonde redhead song goes all the way retarded

45 LillySu July 1, 2016 at 9:55 am

I loved that Os Mutantes song 🙂

46 Ubu July 1, 2016 at 11:32 am

hahaha I absolutely loved that vocoder thingy he had going on. He was creating some nice melodies with it

47 Derek July 1, 2016 at 11:34 am

Thanks for the link Joseph A!

48 Bloodpint July 1, 2016 at 12:08 pm

@soma shit. Thank you!

49 LeavingIt July 1, 2016 at 7:24 pm

Okay, this has nothing to do with anything, but I just need to vent for a moment. I live in a small town, and the music options SUCK. But there was one “alternative” station, and while they were getting more and more “soft” (which a lot of rockers complained about), they still were the only ones to play anything remotely edgy. They were also the only station around here that played The Strokes. (It was only “Last Nite” and “Someday”, but still, it still sounded great when it came on.) As of midnight last night, they turned out the lights and locked the doors. It was the last spear in a brutal week.

50 LeavingIt July 1, 2016 at 7:55 pm

I wondered if that was the Aladdin Sane slash (4:04) or just a coincidental design, but Julian’s program last night sort of confirmed it when he ended “Sound and Vision” with, “You will sing forever, my friend hero.”

Also hoped that he’d eventually play “Gurbet”. Love that! He tried to promote it on another radio program a while ago, but the two hosts weren’t into it at all and cut it short. No need to apologize Julian! It’s a great tune. (Means “Homesick”, BTW.) Wonder if it’s available at Cult.