Watch: The Strokes play ‘Threat of Joy’ on ‘Jimmy Kimmel Live’

1 Dillon July 26, 2016 at 9:25 pm

I can get behind this future present past vibe. I think to keep it up they’ll need to release more new stuff within a year but the strokes seem to have settled in to a good grove. They feel a lot more natural than angles era. Maybe the media blackout and stuff was good for the band .

2 Say it ain't so July 26, 2016 at 9:28 pm

What’s wrong with Julian?

3 Valeyard July 26, 2016 at 10:14 pm

I saw that. Did he storm out because they played the closing part?

4 gS July 26, 2016 at 11:41 pm

Yeah, he just like walked off the stage. I thought it was a solid performance.

5 Gibson July 27, 2016 at 12:13 am

Somethings off about the perfomance. Fab seemed rushed or something.

6 Meg July 27, 2016 at 12:42 am

Julian messed up the lyrics at the beginning and I think he was mad at himself. The performance wasn’t bad but the rest of the guys looked really awkward like they were kinda embarrassed by Julian. Then that bizarre part at the end when Julian says something like “I shouldn’t have said it” and runs off the stage. Not a good look. Its sad like they aren’t even the Strokes anymore just a group of guys capitalizing on the Strokes name.

I don’t like criticising a persons appearance, but Julian your pushing 40. Grow up. His style is not only the worst of the group but also worst then all the voidz. Stop trying so hard.

7 Joseph A July 27, 2016 at 12:53 am

Official version from the Kimmel channel https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6gybGhy8fFk

8 Denis July 27, 2016 at 1:17 am

@Meg i think you are reading way to much into this. Yes, Julian Casablancas sadly is the weakest link in the Strokes, something i thought i could never say. But, he’s just an odd person, he does this kind of things all the time. I don’t think it means something.

9 Miguel July 27, 2016 at 5:32 am

Not the most solid performance but still good. I think people are reading too much into what Julian did, i thought it was kinda cool he seemed a little nervous but it was good and who cares about what he’s wearing anyway.
I was expecting the sound to be a bit better since in Albert’s performance there the sound was perfect, but yeah it was good

10 wilson July 27, 2016 at 6:34 am

Reminded me of the end of the Letterman Take it or Leave it performance. Was hoping for Drag Queen but I think Threat of Joy was the best choice to lure new fans.

11 Yano July 27, 2016 at 7:07 am

Julian realized he left the stove on.

12 Julian C. July 27, 2016 at 7:08 am

I didnt wanna do the dance, Albert and them told me I had to but then I couldn’t so, I ran.

13 Adam July 27, 2016 at 9:44 am

I assumed it was part of the act and thought it was funny. He was done singing, so he just ducked out.

“Not the Strokes anymore”? Give me a break. They’re still great live. They’ve held up as a unit as well as anyone could expect them to, especially given their very sparse tour/album schedule over the last 10-12 years. And if they’re just “a group of guys capitalizing on the Strokes name”, they’re doing a poor job of it considering they never tour, didn’t bother to promote their last album, have never released a ‘greatest hits’, or a DVD, or a live album, etc., etc.

14 Mateja July 27, 2016 at 9:45 am

Julian was right, the outro was unnecessary for a live tv performance.

15 Tannk July 27, 2016 at 10:09 am

Albert’s guitar was too loud.

16 Matt July 27, 2016 at 11:34 am

I feel like Meg is the kind of person who would complain that The Strokes are just a nostalgia act when they play old songs, and then when they play a bunch of new songs instead she’d complain that they never play old songs anymore.

Julian does weird shit; get over it. Enjoyable performance.

17 j July 27, 2016 at 1:21 pm

maybe he meant he didn’t wanna do the whispering, but then did it cuz he forgot.

18 soma July 27, 2016 at 2:58 pm

Anyone else think threat of joy sounds like meet me in the bathroom?

19 Ted July 27, 2016 at 5:39 pm

A proper tour for releasing an ep of 3 new songs ?! Let’s wait a new lp for that. They’re playing the same songs for a long time now. It would be refreching if for the next tour they only play new songs.
I don’t get why people see a negative thing behind Julian leaving the stage as Matt said he likes doing weird stuff, especially on tv appearance. The performance was good, we have 3 new songs, we should be happy right now.

20 Ted July 27, 2016 at 5:43 pm

My new comments get up in the older comments………………..anybody experienced the same problem ?

21 Oh Shit Bacon July 27, 2016 at 8:25 pm

@Meg, you really say the strangest things. Nobody was embarrassed by Julian. And The Strokes are more a band than in the last 10 years.

@Denis, Julian is the weakest link in the Strokes ? wtf

It’s weird to say that kind of things just based on a TV performance.

I thought it was ok, i enjoyed it.

Good to see them back on TV, first since Angles.

22 Anthony C July 27, 2016 at 8:57 pm

We can’t hate on megs point of view completely just because it doesn’t completely align with a Strokes love fest point of view. Let’s disect the situation, shall we? The Strokes haven’t felt like a cohesive bands since FIOE

– Angles was a solid album, but the dynamic of the band was shit with tons of shit talking in the media about each other and the process. No proper tour and all festival dates hyped on “a comeback”…and Julian going on record with Brian Williams and admitting that them doing festivals was about money.

-Comedown Machine was a mediocre album that was put together from scrapts from the Angels sessions (which was confirmed). For example, listen to Nick’s solo album demos, which were written during the Angles Era and ended up as Comedown Machine tracks (which Julian threatened legal action if Nick tried to persue a solo career with those tracks as they were property of the band). No tour to support…only festivals…

-This EP is the first time that they have written material from start to finish together as a band. It’s pretty good…but again only Festivals…no proper tour.

The fans not only want music…they want a tour in local cities so that they can enjoy their favorite band in a somewhat intimate setting…not a over demanding request considering it’s been over 9-10 years since we’ve seen a proper tour.

For the record, I fucking love the strokes and all the side projects, but it seems like we as fans are interpreting the bands current state as a back to business endeavor. However, when you look at the situation over the last 6 years, it seems as though the band has come to grips that The Strokes is there money making machine that fuels their creatives juices to survive as struggling solo artists.

But Meg, I can’t agree with your comment on style. Let Julian do his thing. Might not look great, but his style seems to be the his most authentic approach to the band…putting his guard down and not giving a shit…which I guess is a good start, no?

Hey new Voidz next year! Looking forward to it.

23 Miguel July 27, 2016 at 9:05 pm

Some people always have to find something negative to say I really don’t understand the big deal about Julian walking off stage that’s the kind of stuff he would do all the time before Angles and we would all think it was badass, i mean remenber when he broke that camera? They all finally seem to be good with each other again so let’s enjoy this fresh start and hopefully they’ll keep on releasing stuff and tour.

24 Jake July 27, 2016 at 9:19 pm

Sounded great to me. Albert and Nick’s guitars could have been mixed better. But Julian sounded pretty good and I didn’t think it was weird at all when he walked off stage. He used to pull that shit all the time, I think it was just a ‘let the band have their moment’ kind of thing, like when he turns his back during solos sometimes. Great seeing the band together on a tiny stage like that, hoping for my news soon!

25 Mike P July 27, 2016 at 9:26 pm

That was kind of an odd performance. Julian walking off stage could mean so many things, or nothing. Was he frustrated with himself or the sound maybe? Has a trip to Australia and the show at the Wiltern put some strain on the band? Does it mean absolutely nothing? Is he purposefully keeping us guessing so we’ll tune in to see what he does next? Who the hell knows.

26 Matt July 27, 2016 at 9:35 pm

There’s a reason I no longer comment on this site. Everyone loves to be a pessimist, and everyone loves the drama. The drama between the band is always brought up, over and over again. It’s been beat to the fucking ground by everyone. The band can’t do shit without someone bringing it down, always going back to whatever drama that happened. Not to mention, everyone speaks on it as if they know how everything went down when in reality you know no more than a few fucking quotes that get plastered here and there. I’m not saying nothing was wrong. Pessimism and drama is all that gets talked about here. Like fucking children. Try to talk about their actual songs and writing, and I get nothing.

I don’t understand how you can call this a Strokes love fest when the only thing that gets discussed here is everything they’re doing wrong. Yeah we get fucking hype when they do shit like play shows, release music but that’s what a fucking fanbase is. But when all you do is come on here to shit on them constantly, you’re just being fucking annoying. Saying shit like that, on a fucking fan forum, is just god damned idiotic. No criticism offered on a fan site is doing any good and is never worth discussing. It comes off as “I dislike them and so should you.” All it does is piss people off and cause arguments.

27 Acaligiuri July 27, 2016 at 11:44 pm

Nope, just saying support your fans and fucking tour homie. Give your fans a proper tour so they don’t have to spend $500 bucks for a weekend pass to see you play in front of a 50k person audience.

Julian’s seems to find the will for a Voidz tour. Make sense?

Since 2010, the strokes have done 6 smaller shows in effort to warm up for festivals, do you think fans deserve a bit more?

– Dingwalls (2010)…in preparation for UK festival
– Stubbs BBQ (2010)…in preparation for ACL
– Vegas (2011)…believe in preparation for FYF
– Capitol Theatre (2014)…in preparation for Gov Ball
– Capitol Theatre (2016)…in preparation for Gov Ball
– Wiltern…charity event…kimmel next night

28 lettucefase July 28, 2016 at 12:52 am

How you guys manage to keep having the same arguments over and over? Do you not grow tired of repeating yourselves?

29 wilson July 28, 2016 at 12:58 am

@Acaligiuri
I side with Matt on his opinion. I do think there a lot of people on here that do the same negative cycle of conversation. Just look above Matt’s comments. Everyone would like a tour but this band doesn’t owe anybody shit. And yes, even if you bought their album.

30 Bruh July 28, 2016 at 1:45 am

Since when did Julian ever leave the stage while the song was still playing? I don’t get why fanboys need to make excuses for him as if this is just “Julian being Julian”. Singing “I didn’t want to do that part”, and dropping the mike, and leaving is odd.

31 Anthony C July 28, 2016 at 5:00 am

Case and point…watch Julian perfrom with The Voidz and compare it to the way he peforms with The Strokes. (for the record, I am digging Voidz more than The Strokes lately)

With The Voidz he exedues passion…passion for the album, passion for the merch he puts out, passion to deliever spot on performances…passion to TOUR with his band

It is what it is…However, I’ve seen too many people get gassed up every time that Julian looks in the direction of Nick Valensi with a smirk and say “It’s just like 2003…the back is back ”

The reality is that actions will always speak louder than words (or lack theirof) ….this applies to life and certainly The Strokes

Forgetting lyrics, and walking off stage is normal if you have Alzheimer’s…if not, it’s an amateur move.

32 El Pedro July 28, 2016 at 6:12 am

Beat it with all this “why did julian leave the stage” nonsense, smh.

I’ve been listening to all my Strokes records in order today at work and man, Angles is a damn good album. For some reason I just never heard it in the way I’m hearing it today. There are so many hits or should be hits on this record. Under Cover of Darkness, Machu Piccu, Taken For A Fool, Games, Call Me Back, Gratisfaction, Life is Simple in the Moonlight….I mean those are all phenomenal songs. I don’t think this record gets enough credit and I’m at fault. I’ve never bashed it but I’m now going to put this album up there with one of their better ones. Even the songs that are just “okay” like Two Kinds of Happiness, You’re So Right and Metabolism (I actually like this song a lot better now).

What do you guys think The Strokes’ most underrated album? I’m going with Angles and then First Impressions of Earth. Angles just made my day.

33 Meg July 28, 2016 at 6:23 am

Sorry I hurt you guys. My obsession with the Strokes is deep. I’ve seen them everytime they’ve come to Austin. More than that when I had my 1st child whose 5 now, all the baby books mentioned the benefits of music, so I was that mom wearing headphones on my stomach playing ITI, ROF, etc. While I was ultimately disappointed with Angles and CD both albums had a few good tracks. I loved phrazes and somewhat enjoyed Tyranny but not as much. But FPP was a return to greatness, all 3 songs are good. I hope this is good enough for you because you can still be a mega fan and be subjective, You don’t have to mindlessly like everything.
Ive seen the Strokes live many times, while they are hit or miss, usually when they play Austin they put on a good show. Sometimes though like on the Kimmel show its like you guys (the strokes) are either getting paid directly from playing on the show or because of the publicity generated from appearing on the show- so play good! The I don’t care act only works if you pull it off by delivering. Julian screwed up the lyrics (suprise) you could almost see it in his face when it happened, the rest of the guys knew it, it was almost another Letterman moment. It looked like Julian wanted to Stop and start over but in the moment he recovered nicely, but still upset at another TV gaffe he embarrassingly whispered into the mic and disappeared off stage. It’s unfortunate because the rest of the guys played good, Julian doesn’t play an instrument live so at least remember the lyrics and try to sound like you do on the album. Not their best performance- I can admit this and still keep my fandom intact..

34 OBLIVIUS July 28, 2016 at 7:05 am

What a shitty comment section…
The Strokes and Julian have nothing to prove…I guess people always have to complain about something, the old sound vs the new sound, julian vs the rest of the band, jctv vs the strokes and now even the style of the band members really??

35 Kev July 28, 2016 at 7:36 am

I’ve toured with bands before. It’s tough. And as one of them said (Julian I think?) “a band is great way to ruin a friendship” or something like that. It seems obvious to me that they are afraid a proper tour could break up the band for good. They would be spending too much time together and maybe old baggage rears it’s ugly head. They are being smart about it, playing together every now and then, not putting too much pressure on themselves, etc, and the band stays together. Isn’t that what we all want?

36 Ramon July 28, 2016 at 7:53 am

The Strokes are The Strokes. They are back. They can do whatever the fuck they want. I support them. Bless them.

37 Joseph A July 28, 2016 at 8:06 am

Culture Void tonight according to cult’s instagram

38 Question July 28, 2016 at 2:22 pm

“-Comedown Machine was a mediocre album that was put together from scrapts from the Angels sessions (which was confirmed). For example, listen to Nick’s solo album demos, which were written during the Angles Era and ended up as Comedown Machine tracks (which Julian threatened legal action if Nick tried to persue a solo career with those tracks as they were property of the band”

Can anyone verify this? I can’t imagine Nick wanting to stay with the band if Julian threatened to sue.

39 Rxgc July 28, 2016 at 3:51 pm

Just adding that when Julian said that they were touring for money, he was talking about the 2010 random festivals, not the Angles tour. Sorry if anyone already said this.

40 SkyHigh July 28, 2016 at 10:37 pm

It refers to 2011 Q Magazine interview. I think it was something like Nick was frustrated with nothing happening with the band and wanted to use stuff they’ve written together to do solo record and Julian said no. I thought it was more likely to be act of frustration by Nick rather than serious attempt. But who knows.

41 Joseph A July 28, 2016 at 11:21 pm
42 Mikey July 29, 2016 at 12:06 pm

I don’t think him leaving was a big deal. He did the same with The Voidz when I saw them at Coachella, and that’s a band he’s clearly passionate about

43 Miguel July 29, 2016 at 4:37 pm

Nice tunes on this culture void episode really enjoying Julian’s choices in all episodes.
Nice to see he likes Parquet Courts they are one of my favourite bands right now.

44 Mateja July 30, 2016 at 9:17 pm

So, there’s nothing else scheduled for the band for the rest of the year? This appearance was the end of FPP “era”? Now back to the solo projects, I suppose.

I heard they’re playing Lollapalooza in Latin America next year, though.

45 Fangirl July 31, 2016 at 10:18 am

I do slightly agree with Meg. I used to LOVE Julian but lately he does seem like he’s regressing not progressing. Middle age is a bitch its boring lol. Or maybe its just the same old shit lol I did enjoy this performance it looks like one straight from 2006 or 2011 lol.

46 Wes August 1, 2016 at 1:38 am

The Strokes are amazing

47 gS August 1, 2016 at 5:38 am

CRX————– Nick V.’s new band. So, all the Strokes have musical side projects other than Fab….

48 LillySu August 1, 2016 at 12:04 pm

I love The Strokes. Everything they do is of high quality and unique. I’m sorry for those of you who are not happy with anything they do. If you don’t feel magic in their music anymore, just find something you love and please don’t come here to spread all this negativity.

49 LeavingIt August 1, 2016 at 5:15 pm

@Joseph A
Thanks much for that link to CV. Julian has a cold. Ha! He’s human after all.

50 @LillySu August 2, 2016 at 8:58 pm

Don’t tell me what to do, or what to say. If I don’t like something the band is doing, I’m going to say it. If YOU don’t like it, tough shit.