Watch: The Strokes Cover The Cars’ Just What I Needed At Reading (Featuring Jarvis Cocker)

Damn, this is a little too good. I need a smoke. Here’s the video, via @shesfixing.

More videos coming…

1 heather August 27, 2011 at 5:05 pm

Nice!

2 Kimdiy August 27, 2011 at 5:24 pm

I was watching a live feed of the show, and as soon as I heard the guitars I was like “oh cool!!! they’re doing a cover of the cars”…wish I was there sooo bad. That’s a once in a liftime mash up right there.

3 Rick August 27, 2011 at 5:26 pm

WOW

4 alanna August 27, 2011 at 5:32 pm

i can’t even…this is one of my favorite songs ever and the strokes just made it better. this fucking band. god bless them.

5 Ilya August 27, 2011 at 6:02 pm

I share Alanna’s sentiments…one can only hope this becomes a b-side..

6 mateja August 27, 2011 at 6:53 pm

the four guys sounds always incredible, it’s always a wall of sound. julian depends on the day and his mood. today he was on a good night.

7 hillary August 27, 2011 at 7:11 pm

personally i like this one better than the TFAF b-side.. hopefully it’ll be released as one :)

8 SharonGuitar500 August 27, 2011 at 7:23 pm

That was awesome! Everything (aside from Nick’s ridiculous jacket) was perfect. I absolutely loved the guitar solo! And Julian looked happy :)

9 AC August 27, 2011 at 7:52 pm

My favorite band + one of my favorite songs= orgasm.

10 karinaa August 27, 2011 at 9:10 pm

the first :30 seconds…i love julian:)

11 woon August 27, 2011 at 9:11 pm

hope hey repeat is onight,o that julian joins pulp on stage
this was awsome tho, as washe whole set actually, ho wold love some 1251, cant win, ize, or barely legal tonight… cant wait

oh and i 2nd themotion that this has o be released as a b-side

12 hugh August 27, 2011 at 9:33 pm

awesome.
also, nick has cut his hair.

13 Kate August 27, 2011 at 10:02 pm

this was fantastic. i loved the whole live stream and I was really glad they played Automatic Stop because that’s one of my favorites! And someday was really, really good too.

14 Tank August 27, 2011 at 10:58 pm

Awesome show. Wish I was there. The stream was super blurry, but they were on point especially nick who was movin all around.
When is julians track for decibel going to come out? Is there a posted release date? I wanna hear it so badly!
And for anyone who hasn’t heard it already make sure you listen to long island blues off julians solo demo! Just google that shit!

15 saloni August 27, 2011 at 11:17 pm

any chance of a download of the cover they did?

16 Gogo August 28, 2011 at 1:09 am

decible track!! when??

17 sunstroke house August 28, 2011 at 6:18 am

Only seventh time I’ve seen them since 2001. First since 2006 . They were great. Song for song, they’re untouchable.

18 Hanan August 28, 2011 at 6:54 am

you know what’s crazy?
just yesterday, I was thinking about how TS are one of those bands that generally play the same songs during their concerts. yes, super fans notice little changes in riffs and stuff but for the most part, the set list is kinda standard
and then they throw this at us. it makes it SO MUCH BETTER than if they improvised all the time, because it’s special. like getting a extra-special treat on your birthday
anyways, I fucking love this cover. for so many reasons. The Cars’ first album has a special place in my heart, Jarvis Cocker always sends shivers down my spine and g-d damn Albert and Nick make those guitars SOAR
most of all, I’M SEEING THE STROKES NEXT WEEK WITH PEARL JAM AND QOTSA!! fingers crossed that they’ll bust out Mercy Mercy Me…

19 heather August 28, 2011 at 8:39 am

This was a really excellent cover indeed. I hope they do make it a b-side. Loved Julian’s vocals on it!

20 Joe August 28, 2011 at 5:04 pm

its a good cover. made it better? don’t be ridiculous.

21 SuperFan August 29, 2011 at 8:32 am

@Gogo, I KNOW!!! I loved the teaser, RELEASE IT ALREADY!!!
@Hanan and Heather, I loved their cover of Mercy, Mercy Me too- it was actually the b-side to You Only Live Once, but it would be awesome if they played it live. What better time than playing a show with Pearl Jam. I’m totally jealous that I’m not going :) but I hope they play it, and that someone uploads a video!

22 JOAN Casablancas September 2, 2011 at 6:31 pm

i love his laugh its so adorable!!! AWE as well as the song! <333

23 kore dizileri izle July 24, 2012 at 12:38 pm

Wonderful post admin thank you. I discovered what i was searching for right here. I’ll review whole of posts on this time of day

24 http://telebaron.info July 30, 2012 at 2:22 am

Hello! This is my first visit to your blog! We are a group of volunteers and starting a new initiative in a community in the same niche. Your blog provided us valuable information to work on. You have done a marvellous job! 39424