Watch: Six High-Quality Videos From The Strokes’ Set At T In The Park 2011

I believe the proper term in Scotland is “top form”…

God, The Strokes have sounded incredible during their current European tour. That trend continued at today’s T In The Park gig.

I love that the crowd sings along with the opening riff in UCOD.

“From Los Angeles, California…”

You can download all six videos and the audio here.

51 Eric Van Dril July 11, 2011 at 5:53 am

I think saying that Julian writes all the music is kind of misleading, though. It’s not like the other members of the band don’t do anything. They help arrange music and things like that, but Julian was always the one with the melodies, lyrics, song structure, etc.

52 H July 11, 2011 at 6:42 am

This version of ‘Is This It’ is oh- so- sweet. I really really wish I was there.

53 boubou_du92 July 11, 2011 at 7:03 am

@Jj

well, you will be quite surprised but yes!! he wrote most of the guitar solos from ITI, ROF &FIOE albums
for example, vision of division guitar solo, it was him

i just need to find the interview where he explained that he was fed up with his buddys cause it was him who wrote the drums & guitar parts and not them

54 boubou_du92 July 11, 2011 at 7:07 am

about vision of division solo, i found that on thestrokes official forum:

” By Elle – 06/16/08 – 9:23PM
And yeah, Julian does write the parts for the instruments as well. For example, I remember reading an article with either Nick or Albert saying that Julian wrote the solo for Vision of Division on a 12-string guitar. And in all the albums, its credited as saying “Words [i]and[/i] music by Julian Casablancas” meaning he created all of it. So it’s not a matter of if he’s able to play, it’s just if he wants to. But I kind of agree with robotfrom1984; it might mess up the already-established dynamic of the band. But I just want to see Julian play ’cause I’ve never actually seen him do it; it’d just look very interesting.”

55 Lulu July 11, 2011 at 7:13 am

i know julian played and sang on albert’s solo album, at least his first one

he sang in Scared and he played the bass for another song, at least.

56 Jj July 11, 2011 at 7:18 am

Lol I read some place that they all made equally as many money. Witch sounds kinda unfair considering what julian did for the band and what they did for the band. I actually think that must have been the main reason why they had problems. I didn’t know that he played guitar so well, but i’ve seen videoes where he plays the piano while singing and jesus christ he’s a very good piano player.

The thing I really love about julian is that it have never been SO clear that he wrote all the songs. If you read critics they’d never really credit him. Witch is kinda sad considering how much honor he really deserves… :)

57 boubou_du92 July 11, 2011 at 7:23 am

well , i found the julian interview:

here the part I talked about:

It gave you the opportunity to follow your own muse. Did you relish the freedom of your own project?

Well, I mean there’s two points to that. Yeah, like I said, I pulled back so much because I just wanted it to work and for people to be happy. I mean I’ve written all The Strokes’ guitar solos and a lot of the stuff, back in the day I was pretty involved on all levels, but for the future Strokes I’m trying really hard to pull away. But then when it wasn’t enough, people still kinda needed to go out and venture on their own. When I was doing the solo record, I was like, ‘Okay, there’s zero compromise – I can do whatever I wanna do’, and I realised that I do enjoy that a lot. I think if anything it made me realise that I’d like to do both.

58 boubou_du92 July 11, 2011 at 8:18 am

@Jj

True, the creative process was always unclear until…angles. I think that Julian reproach the other members for their “no involvement” in the band whereas they criticize him to not let them express their artistic points of view….yeah, i know, may sound quite paradoxical….

59 Jj July 11, 2011 at 8:36 am

Boubou@ I think the reason why it was unclear was because of the other members sake. If it was written everywhere that julian was the mind behind everything, it would make everyone wonder if julian was a better guitarist than the others? You know. Then everyone would point at Julian. One of the reason why I think he is brilliant. Lot of critics think he is “cool” and “with a nice voice” but that is really an understatement. an extreme understatement. I think his talent goes bob dylan high. And I hope someday more people will see that. That’s why I hope he will go solo again. I really hope he continues until everybody knows who he is and how talented he is. He deserves that. And I hope he know that. When all that is said, Nick and Albert are of course better guitarist but they don’t got his songwriting skills at all.

60 Will July 11, 2011 at 8:39 am

Totally agree with Jj!

61 H July 11, 2011 at 8:54 am

This might be a totally silly question, but does anyone know what brand his sunglasses are? Anyone?

62 Eric Van Dril July 11, 2011 at 9:08 am

@jj — Here’s Julian playing guitar: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rV86UxO_1Oc

63 heather July 11, 2011 at 9:57 am

@Eric, maybe in the future, there will be a way that we can register screen names on this site because it’s really annoying me that someone is using the exact same name as me on here. Just sayin’.

64 boubou_du92 July 11, 2011 at 10:11 am

@Jj

agree with you :)

65 Eric Van Dril July 11, 2011 at 10:46 am

@heather — Yeah, we could try that in the future.

66 heather July 11, 2011 at 10:47 am

Anyway, Eric, I’m glad you posted that video because it only highlights how amazing Julian is. As that video clearly shows, he’s not even good at playing the guitar, yet he still came up with brilliant guitar solos like the one he wrote for Ize of the World. I don’t understand why people are disputing that Julian wrote all of the guitar solos when he has said many times in interviews that he did write all of them. Not even Nick and Albert dispute that.

67 Iasmine July 11, 2011 at 12:28 pm

Lol I wouldn’t say he’s not good at it, just not so good at singing AND playing.

68 heather July 11, 2011 at 1:26 pm

Well, he’s no Nick Valensi or Albert Hammond on the guitar, but he can still write the solos, so it’s all good. :)

69 tyler July 11, 2011 at 5:10 pm
70 thomass July 11, 2011 at 7:54 pm

i remember an interview with nick in which he stated that all of his solo’s are pre-planned, thought out, and not just spontaeous…… julian has not written all of their solo’s

71 Eric Van Dril July 11, 2011 at 8:31 pm

@heather — I wouldn’t say he couldn’t be Albert or Nick, he just hasn’t practiced. I’m sure they’re not perfect when they first get the part, either. I think Julian could have been Albert (if they’d stuck to the original plan where Julian does his best Alex Turner impression), but it worked out better.

72 Jj July 12, 2011 at 3:59 am

Agree with Eric.
The reason why it had never been extremely clear that julian did all the music is beacause he think about the band. If it was spelled out everywhere that he wrote modern age solo and all the other great solos people would start wondering if he just wasn´t better than the others. I don´t belive anyone can doubt Julian Casablancas talent. But Julian is an unselffish person. I don´t know him, but the acts he have done for the band proofs it. And if you listen to the guitar parts in the strokes? It isn´t like they are very easy? He is a very very very good guitarist I just don´t think he really care about playing the guitar. Only used it as a way to write songs. For the record”” Alex Turner is greaaaaaaaaaaat. But julian is just..,… a legend. :))) Love you all

73 heather July 12, 2011 at 7:15 am

I don’t know, guys. I just don’t see Julian as a very technically proficient guitar or piano player at the level that he is at *now*. I guess it’s because I always viewed him more as the singer and songwriter of the band who can get around the keyboard and guitar when he is writing songs. I do agree though, Eric, that with lots of practice he can be really good at those instruments. Of course! Practice makes perfect! lol And JJ, I would be interested to hear how Julian sounds on the guitar when he is not singing so that I can get a better idea of how he sounds when he’s really playing. It is hard to play and sing at the same time. I know that from experience. lol

But anyway, back to my original point, which was not to knock Jules in anyway. It was merely to point out that even with his pretty basic and limited ability on both the piano and the guitar, he still manages to write some great guitar solos and I think that’s a testament to just how talented he really is.And Thomas, I’m going with what Jules says on that one, so we’ll just have to agree to disagree on that point. No biggie. ;)

74 Beliow July 12, 2011 at 10:04 am

Thomas, that’s only for angles

75 Toni July 12, 2011 at 11:04 am

I also wanna know what glasses those are haha can someone answer

76 Jj July 12, 2011 at 11:28 am

Well spoken heather@

77 heather July 12, 2011 at 6:55 pm

Thanks Jj. :)

78 alx. July 12, 2011 at 8:09 pm

Machu picchu sounds so very decent live that it’s back in the singles game, don’t you think? I could definetly picture a video and listening to it in the radio too.

79 alx. July 15, 2011 at 9:04 am

Man, Julian has never sang “I’ve been all around this town” in UCoD when live, he always changes it for “I’ve been running around this town”. Maybe makes him more comfortable when singing or maybe it was the way the lyrics were before or smth.

This is one of their best live performances lately, love this vids

80 kore dizileri izle July 24, 2012 at 1:00 pm

Good one weblog operator results webpage put up excellent sharings on this blog constantly have fun

81 Seema July 25, 2012 at 5:05 pm

hey admin thanks for excellent and straightforward understandable submit i beloved your webpage web site seriously a lot bookmarked also

82 Free Trial Vpn For Iphone September 12, 2012 at 12:58 pm

Outstanding read, I just passed this onto a friend who was doing some research on that. And he really bought me lunch since I discovered it for him smile So let me rephrase that: Thank you for lunch! 924627