Watch: Julian Casablancas In The Making Of ‘I Like The (K)Night’

In a video posted on Vulture’s website, Julian talks about the inspiration for “I Like The (K)Night,” the song’s recording process and what Decibel requested when they first approached him.

Watch the videos here.

Thanks to Brian and Molly for the link.

1 wolfman September 9, 2011 at 2:15 pm

it’s definitely not a straight forward as take it or leave it, but i can see what he was doing.

2 Skye September 9, 2011 at 2:28 pm

Nice clip! Yeah, I wouldn’t have thought TIOLI when I first heard the snippet, but it does kind of make sense.

3 Molly St Clair September 9, 2011 at 3:09 pm

It’s always cool to see Julian use instruments, and be reminded that he is so much more than just an incredible singer.

4 Deirg September 9, 2011 at 3:12 pm

Fuck. I am seriously excited to hear this song on it’s completion. And did I hear singing in French??

5 alx. September 9, 2011 at 7:05 pm

He likes Batman?

6 April September 9, 2011 at 8:34 pm

what a genius. i need the full song now!

7 heather September 9, 2011 at 9:34 pm

Yes. We need the song.Hurry up Jules! lol

8 saloni tiwari September 9, 2011 at 10:23 pm

I love the electronic/ riff tune that’s in the song and only on the azzaro dB webpage, would love to have that alone too :) besides the actual song.

9 SuperFan September 10, 2011 at 12:00 am

Rainbow guitars, nice :) I love hearing him talk about his ideas. And he lost the shades for part of it! Thanks Brian and Molly.

10 Anthony September 10, 2011 at 8:23 am

It’s nice to see that Julian can be in the studio with other musicians….sorry Nick, Fab, Albert, Nickolai.

I love Julian’s solo work…Love The Strokes….but, it pissed me off seeing him in the studio with all the members of the “Sick Six” and not “the family”

11 atd September 10, 2011 at 8:25 am

i really like the song….but i still can’t believe he is doing this ad….

12 Tits McGits September 10, 2011 at 8:41 am

Dude is the sweetest.

13 KEVIN SOUTH September 10, 2011 at 10:28 am

WHERE ARE THE AMERICAN FALL TOUR DATES?!?!? Seriously, do you guys think they’ve given up on the idea? It’s getting mighty late…

14 Cassie September 10, 2011 at 12:43 pm

@Kevin, I’m sure they’re going to tour the US, but I don’t think they’ll do it this year :( We know Strokes V is in the works so I’m thinking (and by thinking I mean desperately hoping) they’ll come around the US in 2012. What does everyone else think?

15 Futebollounge September 10, 2011 at 4:45 pm

I feel like the US just isn’t a big market for their kind of music like UK, South America, and Asia are

16 candle wax September 10, 2011 at 5:12 pm

@futebollounge

-they would sell out a tour here, easily

17 Yuko September 10, 2011 at 6:59 pm

I think they are going into the studio after coming back from South America dates. I read somewhere that Jules said he has already scheduled to work on the 5th album for 4 months.

As for ” I Like The Night”, am I the only one hearing very similar drum beat as “Alone, Together”? And are the drummer and the keyboadist Alex and Jeff from his solo tour?

18 Yuko September 10, 2011 at 7:02 pm

And I love Jules showing off the sticker says “人気爆発” on his laptop in the end…it means “EXPLOSIVELY POPULAR” in Japanese. lol

19 Houston September 10, 2011 at 11:28 pm

I would rather the Strokes go into the studio to make album five than seeing a U.S. tour. I love Angles, but it needs a follow up.

20 H September 10, 2011 at 11:47 pm

@Yoko Haha I’d never have guessed but it’s so fitting.

Sorry to say but Azzarro’s behind-the-scenes video is so much better than the 2-part making of UCOD clip on youtube. I liked the proper explanation and we actually learned some things; song inspiration, experimentation (rainbow guitars?) and his recording voice sans music (I was pretty excited about that portion). The only down part is the rest of the familiar faces weren’t there.

The Strokes really need to be less mysterious and make something like this for their next album. Cos we usually only read about the songs/ album inspiration much later after the album release, which is nothing wrong with that, but as an audience I feel less engaged than if they were to film their actual recording process and I hear it through the horse’s mouth than through a print media. Also this kind of video sort of makes you feel more excited and builds up the anticipation on the final output of their creative process.

21 H September 11, 2011 at 12:15 am

Ah crap I’m hearing a bit of Neon Trees’ Animal in the electronic riff. I think intense radioplay has penetrated that song in my skull.

22 Cassie September 11, 2011 at 5:57 am

@Yuko, Thanks for the translation! That’s really cool.

@H, I agree. They’ve never given a lot away. Everyone is so stoked about their come-back that it seems fitting do a little more raw promotion. I love seeing Julian talking about the creative process; seeing all of them together like that would be amazing.

On another note, has everyone seen this link(s)? It’s a little documentary Albert made of their first UK tour in 2001 (this is the first of four 15-20 minute clips- I recommend sticking with the HD versions)

It is in no way a making of ITI, and they only included a couple mini-segments of actual play time (which sucks) but it’s fun to see them paling around together :) There’s a quick sound check of NYCC and an interview in there which is pretty cool. The song at the very end is a song Albert wrote called “In Transit” which was on one of his solo records.

23 Cassie September 11, 2011 at 6:13 am

@H, I also really enjoyed hearing Julian’s recording voice sans music :) I’m not sure I’ve ever seen that anywhere before.

24 Strokertines September 11, 2011 at 4:17 pm

@Cassie: no offence, but I don’t think anyone here has not seen In Transit yet;-)

25 Cassie September 11, 2011 at 4:45 pm

Oh well, that’s a good thing then :)

26 Futebollounge September 12, 2011 at 5:05 pm

Machu Picchu will be featured on the FIFA 12 video game!!!!! YESSS!

27 Molly St Clair September 12, 2011 at 11:02 pm

I just read a poorly written article about Julian’s new behind-the-scenes interview, and the guy quotes him twice, and one quote is, “talking about the song’s title, saying, ‘I’ve always been a night person, I just enjoy the evening, so I took that emotion and put it in a song'”.
I think it is hilarious that they used Julian’s most sarcastic quote from the whole interview! When he said that, he was definitely mocking musicians who use that cliche! Lol

28 the modern age September 13, 2011 at 5:53 am

@Molly, I read that article yesterday too, they made him sound so cheesy! He was totally being sarcastic.

29 New Fan September 13, 2011 at 6:11 am

@cassie thanks for the movie links. I just found out about these guys last year and am now a huge fan, but I had not seen “In Transit” until now. It would be great if they could do more stuff like that

30 lolz September 13, 2011 at 9:41 am

Nick Valensi is to appear on William Shatners next music release: “Major Tom” (Peter Shilling) [ft. The Strokes’ Nick Valensi and Zakk Wylde on guitar and and Mike Inez (Alice In Chains) on bass]

31 HeIsARocker September 13, 2011 at 8:22 pm

Well, I know everyone has seen everything.

Have you seen this video … and will save you the link time.

He’s a Rocker by the Vines with images of Hammond, Jr.

Good job.

32 Isaac September 14, 2011 at 1:34 am

check out this fucking awesome band, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d6EiRlzh7o8

33 the modern age September 14, 2011 at 7:46 am

I cannot stop watching this ad! The song is great, the lighting and movement is fantastic and Julian looks great. I love it.

Has anyone heard when the song is being released? I know the answer is most likely no… but I’m getting restless here.

34 kore dizileri izle July 24, 2012 at 2:39 pm

you happen to be genuinely amount one particular admin your blogging is remarkable i constantly check your webpage i am positive you will probably be the best

35 Stephan July 25, 2012 at 4:09 pm

Great put up admin thank you. I discovered what i was seeking right here. I will review complete of posts within this time of day