Watch: Albert Hammond Jr. performs ‘St. Justice’ on Letterman

I, as I tweeted last night, love the song Albert performed on Letterman last night. I especially love the part of the song — both lyrically and musically — in which he plays guitar with the band’s other two guitarists.

Here it is, if you missed it… (warning: Albert is jacked now.)

1 Gibson October 5, 2013 at 7:52 am

My favorite part was when the crowd applauded. Looks like Alberts music will get out there. Hopefully

2 the modern age October 5, 2013 at 8:07 am

So good!!

3 Wolfsie October 5, 2013 at 8:24 am

Albert looks and sounds amazing!!

4 Anth October 5, 2013 at 1:58 pm

Heck yeah. Gonna see him live in DC!

5 jettison October 5, 2013 at 6:57 pm

What was David referring to “is that you, how do you do that” thing?..
Alberts music amazing as always

6 SirJoshua October 6, 2013 at 7:17 pm

He’s referring to Keith Urban. He’s pretty famous. Google him…

7 SirJoshua October 6, 2013 at 7:23 pm

“Was that you? How do you do that?” i believe he’s talking about Al’s shakey-guitar buzz thing from 2:45 till the end. btw really like ur Strokes covers

8 Anth October 6, 2013 at 7:52 pm

I’m pretty sure he’s just making small talk and trying to be friendly. Most likely, he doesn’t give a shit about any of this. I think one of the most obvious example of this was when The Kills preformed “The Last Goodbye”, and Letterman sorta made some awkward joke towards Jamie Hince. Check it out here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=teju-2p4YbY

9 MS October 6, 2013 at 8:02 pm

That’s just Letterman’s humour. He’s just messing around with them, it’s like when he asks drummers if those are their kits or if they’re rentals.

10 Kinger October 7, 2013 at 4:39 am

The Strokes guitarist and solo star Albert Hammond Jr has spoken out in praise of Arctic Monkeys and Yeah Yeah Yeahs – saying that the quality of their music inspires him to try harder.

Hammond said that ‘hearing other people’s songs becomes like a competition’ – and that he had recently found inspiration in the likes of Arctic Monkeys and Yeah Yeah Yeahs, as well as his Strokes bandmates.

“It can just be a new random song that you hear, by The Sweet or whoever,” said Hammond. “You can feel the competition within your own band as well – especially with a great songwriter like Julian. The other guys too, they’re full of great idea.”

He continued: “Arctic Monkeys, Yeah Yeah Yeahs – these are all bands that keep coming out with things that make me go ‘shit – that’s exciting’. You feel it when you’re doing it yourself – when you finish a song you say ‘shit, I’m glad we did that’.”

11 Brian Wallace October 7, 2013 at 6:32 am

Yeah, Yeah, Yeahs and Arctic Monkeys just played Philly, SO excellent.

I’ve been dreaming a lot about the Strokes the last couple of nights. So at least they’re working together in my MIND.

$59.99 for all five studio albums on vinyl? That’s a great deal.

Brian

12 Annie 1251 October 7, 2013 at 7:32 am

@Errrybody
I hope no one minds- but I am re-posting that great Q interview with Albert that Wolfsie found -
we switched threads so fast I don’t want anyone to miss it!

also re-posting this last paragraph – doesn’t it sound like TS will def go with Cult?
Sorry Gibson! lol! I know you disagree! :) But what do the rest of you all think?

“In a loose respect, Julian’s whole Cult Records and The Strokes’ philosophy is to bridge the gap between amazing music and music created for the masses. When we were young, we used to question why the rawness of music is diluted when it reaches a certain point of success. Right now, Cult are creating new ways to find answers to that question. It’s a great working relationship between Cult and I – a total team process.”

**I can’t imagine Julian ever going through another round of hell with another record company ever again. Esp since he now has his own label.
All he has talked about since 2001 was wanting to do things his own way. And now he CAN.

13 Sarah October 7, 2013 at 8:05 am

I find Albert’s EP very fresh and rock’n roll, I really like all those guitars.

The choice of going solo for Albert must not have been easy regarding the band- now that they were back together after the hiatus/ making two consecutives albums/ having to decide if they continue or not (Annie to me this is really the first question before thinking about Cult or not).

Detaching yourself from a band and making a name by yourself (especially with a famous father) must be hard work.

I find the result really enjoyable, and I will be an all time fan of the Strokes (“one way trigger” is a fantastic song, guys) but we can recognise that he has some guts.

14 God October 7, 2013 at 10:48 pm

@Gibson

They’re supposed to clap. The ferocity of the clapping varies though.

15 Sean October 8, 2013 at 9:19 am

Hey guys,

I’ve posted on the site about my music a bunch of times.

My band just released our EP, if you could check it out and let me know what you think that’d be awesome.

The EP is here:

If you like the EP you can check us out on Facebook and find out how adorable we are:

Thanks so much! Please take a moment to check us out you won’t regret it!

16 Annie 1251 October 8, 2013 at 11:40 am
17 Acombs1793 October 8, 2013 at 11:49 am

@Sean

Going to give your band and EP a listen, i followed you guys on soundcloud

18 Gibson October 8, 2013 at 5:24 pm

Re heard phrazes for the young today. Julian is such a genuis!!

19 Dom October 8, 2013 at 6:49 pm

Albert is touring! :)

20 Kinger October 8, 2013 at 7:26 pm
21 squirrel October 9, 2013 at 12:27 am

Hi guys, long time no “see”! — in short, I’ve been travelling for the last couple of weeks and my internet access has been occasional at best. Lots of Strokes related news in the meantime & a lot of catching up to do when I get back home in a couple of days! I haven’t even listened to any of Albert’s new songs yet… =(

Found out about Fab’s art installation in NYC just yesterday when Noisey posted an article about it (http://noisey.vice.com/blog/go-see-this-fab-moretti-of-the-strokes-has-an-art-installation), and then saw the Huff Post article the guys themselves posted on Twitter (http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/10/08/fab-moretti-art_n_4063986.html?ir=Arts). Really really sad I missed it for a matter of days! =( But it’s great to know that he’s still working on his art, and to see that the first impressions have been amazingly positive! And I gotta admit — two of the pics in that last link kinda made me wonder if he and Binki are back together (this is a probably a bit inappropriate but I think they made a fabulous couple, so I hope it’s true).

Talk to you guys soon, hopefully after finally having listened to AHJ! ***

22 cheap calls to South Africa May 23, 2014 at 4:42 am

Hello There. I found your blog using msn. This is a really well written article.
I’ll be sure to bookmark it and come back to read
more of your useful info. Thanks for the post. I will certainly return.