Watch: 6-Minute Interview With Nikolai Fraiture Before Milan’s Flippaut Festival

Niko on the fifth record: “Some people are bringing in stuff, some people are not.” There are also a lot of ITI questions, which I like.

Unfortunately, Flippaut turned out to be the The Strokes’ most disappointing festival experience of the year. And that has nothing to do with the band’s performance.

The Strokes were forced to stop playing after around 10 songs because of repeated power failures. The typical reaction seems to be, as Francesca said on Twitter: “yeah i’m with my friends and we’re all SO FUCKING SAD!!i mean, i love the strokes, i’ve wait for 6 years to see them…”

The worst part is that tonight’s setlist was one of the best I’ve seen from The Strokes. Plus, they played Alone, Together, according to Ryan.

1 tyler July 12, 2011 at 6:53 pm
2 tyler July 12, 2011 at 7:46 pm

Now on the interview, it seems like the guy got some generic stale questions in as well as some useful questions like the last one. “Some people are bringing in things, some are not” well that cant work because they are paid on their effort in the writing process, not even like they were before.

3 Eric Van Dril July 12, 2011 at 8:12 pm

@tyler — In all fairness, though, it’s early in the process.

4 Hanan July 12, 2011 at 8:21 pm

they played Alone Together?! WTF I WAS NOT IN ATTENDANCE, JULIAN.
plus, it’s not on the set list?

5 Gabe July 12, 2011 at 9:47 pm

You can really tell Nikolai is completely sick and tired of talking about how they all contributed writing to Angles.

6 Ben July 12, 2011 at 9:53 pm

Nikolai’s daughter is 7 now?? Crazy.

7 Rodrigo July 12, 2011 at 10:38 pm

im still in awe with that pic Julian tweeted, I made that shirt I sell it on redbubble, how the hell did he get it? someone threw it at him? someone gave it to him? ok im just ranting but understand me, i cant believe how small this world is after all.

8 Brian Wallace July 13, 2011 at 5:06 am

Off topic, but the Strokes should do a cruise, too:

Who could they get? Maybe GBV. Julian likes Beirut. Adam Green probably. Maybe Ryan Adams. Where would the cruise go?

Brian

9 Dylan Smith July 13, 2011 at 5:43 am

I HEART the strokes, i want a leather jacket so i can look just like jules!

10 Evelin July 13, 2011 at 6:12 am

I think they played Alone together after the first incident with the sound. Julian said “What can I do for you? We’ll play whatever you wish”.
I can’t believe all the songs that we missed because of the failures in the sound organization! Nevertheles, they were completely awesome! Julian and Fab even jumped from the stage to say hello personally to the people while we were waiting to continue with the concert

11 marc July 13, 2011 at 1:08 pm

The setlist has nothing special. Why did you say it’s the best one ???
It’s just the usual.

Where is The End Has No End, Razorblade, When It Started, Between Love and Hate … !
THAT would be a great setlist.

Reptilia, Juicebox, Taken for A fool… whatever.

12 tyler July 13, 2011 at 1:42 pm

@marc perfectly said. When It Started is one of my favorite songs by them and they treat it like an ugly stepsister.

13 Rick July 13, 2011 at 2:03 pm

Have they played heart in a cage at all this year?

14 KEVIN July 13, 2011 at 2:19 pm

Life Is Simple
NYC Cops
Soma
You Only Live Once
Take It Or Leave It

15 Mary Shea July 13, 2011 at 2:25 pm

I love how uncomfortable he gets with the rock star question. haha. And yeah, it’s too early in the process to make any presumptions about Strokes V.

16 correction July 13, 2011 at 2:45 pm

@Tyler- They are still being paid evenly. I don’t know how you go from All Songs By Julian Casablancas and everyone gets paid evenly to All Songs By The Stokes and only the credited writers get royalties to their particular song…Albert would be one broke mofo if that were the case with Angles. Where are you getting your information?

17 Tom July 13, 2011 at 2:50 pm

@ marc, to everyone outside of America, When it Started is essentially a b-side, so it’d be strange to drop a bigger song to include it. Also, the song itself has a fairly low key sound, (not that it makes it a bad song, just that it’d struggle to get the crowd going – the same applies to Between Love & Hate), and too many songs like that would bog down the setlist, whereas songs like Juicebox and Reptilia are have a ‘big’ sound – not to mention that Reptilia is probably the bands 2nd or 3rd biggest song, so it would be extremely strange to not include it. I’ve read in interviews also that Julian wrote When It Started pretty much at the last minute to replace NYC Cops after 9/11, so the band probably doesn’t really look on it too fondly for that reason – thinking that it was a bit of a ‘last minute’ job. Razorblade is pretty divisive between most of the fans i know – mainly due it’s Mandy qualities, not to mention that the band has almost disowned the majority of FIOE songs when it comes to playing them live. The End Has No End always seemed a strange choice for the ROF 3rd single (as much as I like it), and I’m guessing in hindsight the band probably agree – I Can’t Win always seemed the obvious choice to me. Personally, knowing that the band still have to play a reasonable amount of Angles in the set, i’d drop What Ever Happened? for Heart in a Cage, and perhaps at the moment just keep changing Trying Your Luck for other Is This It songs – Soma, Barely Legal etc.

18 woon July 13, 2011 at 5:24 pm

heart in a cage over watever happened , ur having a laugh, drop juicebox for ize of the world tho

19 Rick July 13, 2011 at 6:38 pm

Wow, no love for hiac. Live, I’d rather hear hiac over whatever, but together would be super gravy.

20 Molly St Clair July 14, 2011 at 2:41 pm

Nikolai:”I don’t know, what does a rockstar feel like? Maybe you’re a rockstar in your circle?”
Reporter:”You tell me…No, I’m just a journalist.”

I don’t know why, but I loved that exchange. It’s as though Nikolai is trying to be savvy about the question, and the guy responds with stark honesty. Great answer! Lol

21 zef July 14, 2011 at 4:36 pm

ok ok what about vision of division?? that would be CRAZY live!!!

22 H July 18, 2011 at 8:51 am

@zef Vision of division was already covered in T in the Park several years back (or was I dreaming?). I’d love to see Ize of the World it’s my favorite.

23 kore dizileri izle July 24, 2012 at 5:00 pm

I was trying to find this website previous 3 days and nights good web site owner good posts everything is superb

24 Jamey July 25, 2012 at 5:40 pm

Greetings thanks for fantastic put up i used to be searching for this challenge previous 2 days. I will search for up coming precious posts. Have pleasurable admin.