Vice gets in-depth with Albert Hammond Jr.

There isn’t a glaring news hook in Vice’s in-depth interview with Albert Hammond Jr., like that The Strokes’ Hyde Park gig might be the band’s last ever. But it’s interesting and enjoyable to see Albert get in depth about his new record, his maturation and much more.

Check it out here. The interview coincides with new AHJ UK tour dates and a live performance of Losing Touch:

1 Miguel June 23, 2015 at 9:31 am

It’s clear that Albert is tired of the indefinition going on with the Strokes seem’s like he’s moving on

2 Wes June 23, 2015 at 1:06 pm

“alone we stand, together we fall apart.”

Solo projects vs. the strokes?

3 john r June 23, 2015 at 3:12 pm

He does they that the strokes sound the best they ever have nowadays.

4 al June 23, 2015 at 9:27 pm

hey y’all, quick q but anyone know the key of the modern age? I wanna say its D, but if i rember correctly my guitar teacher said its C? the d7 in the intro, and the chords in the verse with the F# makes me say D, but then the solos has got an F and C on it so I’m kinda stumped. been playing my major scales over them for a while now and still cant put my finger on it. Is the verse and intro in Dmaj and the Solo in Cmaj maybe?

5 Wes June 23, 2015 at 9:58 pm

The song is in D major. Dmaj to e-min to f#min is key of D-maj. Why do I always go on this site when putting off homework? Probably cause I’m a dumbass!

6 Tutts June 24, 2015 at 5:26 am

Thought it was interesting Albert was enjoying a cold brew? Thought he passed on the devils brew

7 Eric Van Dril June 24, 2015 at 12:28 pm

@Tutts — Yeah, I found that to be weird also. Maybe alcohol isn’t a trigger for him like it is for a lot of addicts.

8 JP June 24, 2015 at 1:29 pm

cold brew is a way of making coffee, its not alcoholic.

9 vemadeahugemistake June 24, 2015 at 6:18 pm

Nice song and a good read. I don’t get a pessimistic vibe about the band from Albert. He’s ready to try something new but he still has a fondness for the Strokes.

I also love how rhythmically he ended the interview:
“Once you’ve finished something and you learn something new and you got to somewhere you didn’t think you would, you’re like, well now I gotta see what I can do.”

Sounds like a lyric to a song we never got to hear.

10 Mike P in Bay Ridge June 24, 2015 at 7:04 pm

@JP good call, that’s actually what it’s called here in NYC.

@Eric Van Dril I got a little scared for the guy when I saw the cold brew thing, then I realized what JP said. It’s iced coffee.

11 whathefuckwhasthat June 24, 2015 at 9:47 pm

Check this Human Sadness cover, really good!

12 Reality June 25, 2015 at 10:31 am

You’re an asshole if you call iced coffee cold brew

13 JP June 25, 2015 at 3:54 pm

it isn’t ice coffee…it’s the way you actually make it. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cold_brew

14 Dia June 25, 2015 at 4:43 pm

I thought the writer was talking about beer but who the fuck eats Greek yogurt and drinks beer at the same time? Cold brew must mean cold coffee.

15 Annie 1251 June 28, 2015 at 7:52 am

This is absolutely fabulous-
a fan put together this video. lots of fun stuff

A Vocal Anthology of Julian Casablancas

16 Annie 1251 June 28, 2015 at 7:57 am

My fave parts are The Roar and The Growl
and the Japanese My Way too 🙂

also loved that they ended it with a HS part…

17 LillySu June 29, 2015 at 5:37 am

@Annie 1251
I truly enjoyed in this clip. It’s amazing! 🙂 I can just imagine this work of collecting all the little snippets from so many videos/audios.

18 COLD BREW = coffee lol... June 30, 2015 at 6:39 pm

uh FYI Cold Brew is a type of coffee on ice, not beer lol….
maybe it’s only an LA thing ;]

19 Tutts July 1, 2015 at 7:34 am

thanks for clarifying the cold brew things errybody. Not familiar with that being from Iowa an all, yeehawww

20 john r July 1, 2015 at 8:19 am

slow times around here eh? Are we sure Albert quit drinking?
Im not arguing about what the writer meant when he said “cold brew”, but the term can certainly be referring to cold beer.

21 Dia July 1, 2015 at 9:48 am

@ john r

The writer also says he’s eating Greek yogurt. I highly doubt he’s referring to beer. Only a sociopath would drink beer and eat Greek yogurt at the same time!

22 Ize July 1, 2015 at 4:04 pm

Hey you guys should join plug.dj its a really cool website for sharing music in a really fun way. I have already created the official strokes community there for us.

Plug.dj is “Dedicated to growing positive international communities for sharing and discovering music.”

Here is the link https://plug.dj/thestrokesnews

23 Mateja July 2, 2015 at 4:04 pm

I don’t know if anybody posted it before, but there’s some videos that I’ve never seen before in this channel

24 "AHJ, how do you feel playing with Solo band, than with the Strokes?" AHJ: I Feel Better WHAT!!!! listen yourselfs July 5, 2015 at 5:17 pm

– give me props for this find guys

your friend,

AKA

25 Ted July 6, 2015 at 12:12 am

Of course it feel better, he is in total control.. It will he strange if he said the opposite.

26 Annie 1251 July 6, 2015 at 5:16 am

A new article from Gordon Raphael about The Strokes at Hyde Park

27 Miguel July 6, 2015 at 7:45 am

@Annie Thanks great article!
I really wish Gordon will produce the new Strokes album if they record one. I really like the Strokes new sound (aswell as their old sound) and their new sound combined with Gordon production style I think it would take it to another level really!

28 Annie 1251 July 6, 2015 at 9:27 am

An awesome Video pairing of Mad Max and JC& the Voidz done by @Futralux

MAD is just so good
js

29 lit2pop July 6, 2015 at 12:15 pm

wow does gordon not realise that there were only 2 other bands on the mainstage that day and that we know exactly who he’s trashing?! he sounds a bit douchey in that article. i thought beck was good personally, and im not exactly his biggest fan, but “sexx laws” was awesome, the harmonica solo totally reminded of his stint on futurama, and he told a nice anecdote about how the first time he met the strokes he was backstage at a festival and there were “these 5 guys racing these chairs they’d found down a hill”

i liked the gig a lot, but in all honesty, it just confirmed for me that the strokes are over – julian was super confident and talkative but it just sort of felt like it was the julian casablancas show with the strokes as a really great backing band, which i suppose is what a lot of us want in terms of their recording new stuff, but as a live band it didnt feel like they were a tight unit, flawless for sure but theres a difference between passion and perfection

It was very melancholic experience, summed up the best part of the biggest sing a long of the night, UCOD. It was really quite touching when everyone sang “like you, whoah, care!”

30 lit2pop July 6, 2015 at 12:26 pm

Also, I revisited Reservoir Dogs for the first time in ages (still such a great, great, film) and it reminded me of how seeing the strokes on totp doing nyc cops in their suits and skinny ties reminded me of that flick.

tom petty + ‘little green bag’ + some ace lyrics = ‘last nite’

31 LeavingIt July 7, 2015 at 7:45 am

Something about an organic vegan stealing Oreos doesn’t sound right.

Was Julian chatty at Primavera? I thought we’d all commented that he hardly spoke at all. Maybe I’m confusing it with another recent show, but it’s not like there’ve been a lot to choose from. Or perhaps the videos don’t show the chatter.

32 Death July 7, 2015 at 8:01 am

@ LeavingIt

Oreos are vegan. I don’t know the rules of an organic vegans diets/the way Oreo’s are made but they are vegan.

@lit2pop

I think you’re a bit confused. In a healthy way though.

@Annie1251

Great article, thank-you for sharing. Gordon is a really kindred spirit and I enjoyed reading through the paragraphs. It made me laugh out loud. Great to hear he has been treated kindly by TS staff/MGMT over the years. With the experience the guys have with producing themselves and being so close to producers other than Gordon I would doubt he would be the one to produce their next record however I would love to see it happen and think it could work really well. Ten odd years is enough to get over any awkwardness between him and TS.

On Albert… IMHO… His firs 2 albums were insanely good. It really hit home and felt so real… I feel as though AHJ was good however certainly wasn’t as good. AHJ & the new album seem to be a different side of Alberts music which I encourage yet stray from… I just feel when he was all fucked up he was closer to genius and now he is closer to average. This happens often though and it usually is just part of an artists progress. I would love to hear something as wildly emotional as the first two albums and I don’t feel like we will get that with MM. Oh well. He is capable of doing that and I feel like the best of him is yet to come. I sense many albums coming from him in the future.

I check this site almost everyday to see some news and it seems we’ve hit quite a dry spell so I thought I would share a few thoughts and yeah… Hope everybody is having a great July so far.

33 LeavingIt July 7, 2015 at 8:07 am

@Death
Vegan, yes, but hardly seem fitting with the diet. But then we all have our vices.

34 SteveSpoon July 7, 2015 at 11:12 am

@ lit2pop

Yeah, Gordon comes off as a dick in that article. I wasn’t there, but all four of the acts on the main stage are awesome. Syd Arthur make amazing music, Future Islands are awesome live, and Beck is a goddamn king.

35 Brian Wallace July 7, 2015 at 1:39 pm