The Strokes “You’re So Right” Out March 1st, And Other Strokes News (UPDATED)

Nick at the UCoD shoot.

Update: Ryan just sent out a tweet that said: “haha! yes, i’m an ass. the b-side is “You’re So Right”. speaking of “Yours To Keep”… helluva damn album!” Also, the pre-sale has sold out, apparently is some absurd amount of time. Updated

I’m preparing to head out of town from Friday-Monday, so I’ve been neglectful and haven’t posted a number of items. Let’s change that with some bullet points.

• The next Strokes track you’ll here is reportedly called “Yours To Keep,” “You’re So Right”, which isn’t one of the 10 songs on Angles. It will be released on March 1 as a b-side to “Under Cover of Darkness,” according to Ryan Gentles, the band’s manager.
  • The Strokes will play Madison Square Garden in New York City on April 1. Tickets are expensive, approximately $70 after taxes and fees, but it’s (basically) The Strokes return to New York City show. So go if you can go, beat the rush to order tickets by pre-ordering them here. They go on sale today (Feb. 17) at 3 p.m. CT
  • The Strokes shot the video for “UCoD” yesterday in New Jersey. Warren Fu hinted at being at the helm of the video and, judging by yesterday’s picture on Julian’s website, it seems like The Strokes are going for an 80s/12:51 vibe that Julian and Fu love.
  • From The Strokes’ newsletter today, “The band also has something cool planned for SXSW. Make sure to visit TheStrokes.com on Tuesday, February 22nd, for the details.” So is a gig for SXSW planned, confirming the swirling rumors?
  • The Strokes, according to the newsletter, will likely play a third song off Angles on SNL. I’d guess it’ll be the second single, which seems to be — from the band’s interviews — “Machu Picchu”.
  • The Strokes have been on the cover of NME 18 times. See all the covers here.

That’s all, everybody. I’ll try to get on Twitter a couple of times over the next three days to post any updates about The Strokes.

201 Wendel February 22, 2011 at 3:12 pm

LOOK PEOPLE we were supposed to have a video of them at alberts or more news today. where is it and why is no one bitching?

202 Wendel February 22, 2011 at 3:14 pm

oh ok theyre doing a free show during sxsw, how cool/dontgiveafuck

203 secretman February 22, 2011 at 3:19 pm

mr.met is julian, FYI

mr.mets? get it.

204 Anthony February 22, 2011 at 3:21 pm

according to this site, footage from the free SXSW show will be put online the following day: http://www.thisisfakediy.co.uk/articles/news/the-strokes-confirmed-for-sxsw-online-broadcast-revealed

205 Eric Van Dril February 22, 2011 at 3:24 pm

@everybody — I’ve kind of been keeping track of the comments on here and it looks like you guys have most of the news covered (if not all of it). I have terrible jet lag and a bunch of work to catch up with, so I won’t post anything today, but I’ll try for tomorrow.

And hopefully we get an in-studio video tomorrow. That would be sweet.

206 clare February 22, 2011 at 3:26 pm

yeah, i think we all got that a while ago – that Julian likes the mets, but i don’t think he’d be bothered going on a fan page and besides Mr Met didn’t know all the lyrics to one of the songs a while back and surely Julian would know his own lyrics – he made some comment ages ago about the UCoD lyrics being inaudible at certain points. I’m sticking with it being Richard Priest or maybe it’s just some dude who works in the Wiz Kid office. I expect that there’ll be a whole load of interviews/ reviews coming with the newspaper weekend supplements this week.

207 clare February 22, 2011 at 3:27 pm

sorry that post was to secretman!!

208 wolfman February 22, 2011 at 3:34 pm

@thestrokes””Angles” pre-order kickin’ off at iTunes today, friends! and in just a little bit, we got some other things comin’ down the pipeline…” does a little bit mean today???!!?

209 secretman February 22, 2011 at 3:41 pm

@clare, I was being sarcastic :)

210 make nice February 22, 2011 at 6:50 pm
211 saywhat February 22, 2011 at 7:06 pm

I don’t see why this guy keeps bragging about it. It’s like “Hey everyone, I’m the douche that wasted an hour of my life to make a fake Strokes sounding song that I could post on the internet and trick people with. Aren’t I awesome?”

212 Bobby February 22, 2011 at 7:24 pm

Well done, secretman, had me fooled! I agree with the “less is more” approach and about the “falsetto” singing. But hey, we’re just fans, the band can do whatever the hell they want, obviously. Looking at the lyrics posted on here, I gotta say that Julian is a really underrated lyricist, IMO. At least by most in the music press.

213 wolfman February 22, 2011 at 7:52 pm

the other fake demo without a title sounded kinda good

214 wolfman February 22, 2011 at 7:55 pm

i hope the in-studio clips feature snippets of some of the songs like the interview for phrazes

215 @saywhat February 22, 2011 at 8:46 pm

Not bragging. A lot of people were freaking out about it, it was getting a bit silly so I opted to put out a fire and just say the shit was fake.

216 Rick February 22, 2011 at 9:37 pm

You’re are smart dude. You knew that shit would get our dicks hard and pussies wet. Kudos.

217 secretman February 22, 2011 at 9:49 pm

@rick thanks dude. Appreciate that.

218 saywhat February 22, 2011 at 10:31 pm

@secretman
oh ok well if that was your intention I guess it’s respectable.

219 wolfman February 22, 2011 at 11:03 pm

it was obviously fake… there was no fire.

220 Not in the mood for fakes February 23, 2011 at 1:15 am

@secretman
i am annoyed. why? i dont know, mayb for a second (or hours) I thought it was true.
and I hope you’re not doing this so that when you do release your record you can say ”hey I’m the one who did the fake demo!” so people will be interested in your music even though you remain anonymous.But I liked your demo, especially the drums. Reminded me of the fray.
Oh and just please dont do that again, whatever your point is.

221 Ibrahim February 23, 2011 at 2:19 am

What I think is that this guy is just trying to seem interesting by making you think it’s a fake demo… I’m sure it’s Julian’s. Let’s wait til March 22nd, secretman, the hour we’ll listen to the real song will be so funny for you :)

222 Ibrahim February 23, 2011 at 2:21 am

Ok… I just listened to the version with the loud voice… I capitulate.

223 patrick February 23, 2011 at 4:43 am

why are people complementing the loser who ‘wrote’ that song??? first of all it was two chord crap, secondly, everyone who believed it was the strokes should be ashamed of their own intelligence.

Bunch of muppets all round!

224 chris February 23, 2011 at 8:03 am

@patrick – A two chord song does not equal a bad song. ever heard of Harry Nilsson? he crafted amazing tunes with a lot less.

225 Bobby February 23, 2011 at 8:17 am

Patrick, just because a song is “complicated” doesn’t make it good. I would argue it’s the opposite actually in a lot of cases. There are all kinds of ways to write songs, a lot of Strokes songs (especially the early ones) are actually fairly basic at their core, which was the point this guy was trying to make with this fake demo.

226 chrisss February 23, 2011 at 9:28 am

and it was not so obvious that is was fake if so many people were on the fence, the voice got me for a little while. no one is a muppet, we’re all strokes fans, some of the finest fans around. stop bragging in that you knew right away (if you really did).

227 Wendel February 23, 2011 at 10:01 am

yea chill out everyone, ive been reading the comment section since the beginning, and while patrick is a pretty big sod, hes on the ball with his music news and strokes history.
now doesanyone think well be getting the in the studio video today?

228 Dirty Beatlez February 23, 2011 at 10:06 am

I knew it was fake, well I had my very strong doubts about it from the first listen, and im not bragging. Anyway I think the guy (“secretman”) has actually a cool voice and pretty decent guitar skills, should be making some nice music instead of making strokes fake demos. This blog is awesome. Sorry for my bad english, me speako Spanish.

229 patrick February 23, 2011 at 10:18 am

Its true i am a big sod, but whatever can’t help it. Communication on the net always heads in that direction anyways.
Does anybody else feel the strokes kind of drop the ball by not having the release date brought forward a little. It seems like a very drawn out lead-up to what is only ten songs…..
Also to ramble on further, maybe they should have had a video ready for under cover of darkness to co-incide with its release..Why bother spending loads to make a video when the majority of people will watch the you-tube video with the single cover….wasted oppurtunity.

I always felt that julian casablancas dropped the ball when he didnt have a video ready for ’11th dimension’, especially when you consider the exposure he got for ‘boombox’…
His video limped along a month or so after the release of the single, and garnered much less views than the one featuring the static image… shame considering the amount of effort and ‘mmeaning’ put into the video(and money of course)

Anyways thats my thought of the day.
apoligies for my grumpiness….

230 Mandingo February 23, 2011 at 10:23 am

@Patrick–I don’t know about all the video stuff, but I do think this is very drawn out for a release. I mean, I know it’s been 5 years and all, but another month?? I’m just wondering if the thing is going to leak…Everyone of their albums except ITI leaked very early on. If I remember right, ROF leaked over a month early. It seems that they kept the single under tight wrap, but a lot of sources have now heard the whole thing. They should just go ahead and do a pay per download on their website. Shit spreads like wild fire on the web. Every fan would be rushing to download it before it leaked.

231 secretman February 23, 2011 at 10:35 am

@dirty beatlez ha thanks. I do write and play my own music. That was my first and last attempt at a strokes tune.

232 annie February 23, 2011 at 10:47 am

No doubt they’ll drip-feed the videos but I can’t wait to see these. I read on Ryan’s twitter that just maybe they might also consider doing an In Transit video while they’re touring too, which would be cool. But yes, it’s all going way too slow for me too – there’s something to be said for Radiohead’s shock release tactic.. this wait’s killing me. I agree on the video thing, it’s a bit stupid that they were only filming it after the single had been released and they also could have got the site up in order ahead of the download thing. As you said, it’s not like they didn’t have time but i think some of that may be down to Julian obsessing over details and wanting to get involved in aspects which other bands just delegate – like cover art, video production etc and I guess there are only so many hours in the day!

233 Leezak February 23, 2011 at 11:14 am

@Ibrahim

Oh my god.. what’s your problem? Even after he admitted he had recorded it you’re STILL 100% sure it’s a real demo.. WOW

Funny thing is that you’re being all serious about this!

234 Brian Wallace February 23, 2011 at 11:58 am

I think the reality of it is $$$.

With the record industry tanking, I think there has to be SOME sort of response to a song to make a video. The band got great pub for “Under Cover of Darkness” which allowed them to make a video to promote. Not to pick on them or anything, but as an example, were there any videos for Interpol’s latest?

The budgets for record companies are substantially smaller than they were even a few years ago. Money is only spent on MEGA artists like Britney and Gaga.

Brian

235 anthony santa maria February 23, 2011 at 12:02 pm

hey man just letting you know the strokes are playing a sxsw free show in support of the new album is gonna be in austin texas thursday the 17th

236 secret man February 23, 2011 at 12:10 pm

@brian wallace these days, with so much amazing content being created with SLR’s (5D + 7D)
all you need now (more than a big budget) is talented friends, which I am sure the strokes have. hell, use the internet. crowd sourcing and involving people in the creative conversation is where things are going. I am unsure if this is a good thing, but still an evolution.

237 patrick February 23, 2011 at 1:44 pm

There was always going to be a video for the albums first single thats for sure….imo
Interpols latest had two videos ‘lights’ and barricade…
I dont think they were waiting for a response or anything….if julian casablancas had enough money to film one for his solo album i’m sure they would have enough as a five piece..

238 wolfman February 23, 2011 at 2:36 pm

where’s the in-studio vid?

239 AunomdelaFrance February 23, 2011 at 2:54 pm

album behind the scene video

240 Mandingo February 23, 2011 at 3:12 pm

Thanks a ton for the link! Great find on it.

Kinda’ disappointed by the video, though. :( Shouldn’t have been called the making of “Angles.” More like a few short video clips in the studio.

241 JRosie February 26, 2011 at 8:22 pm

This is a fake. There is a file on soundcloud uploaded by the person who made this “song”
It has the vocals turned up, and you can clearly hear that its NOT Julian.

242 MypeMoopleple July 24, 2012 at 2:01 am
243 kore dizileri izle July 24, 2012 at 1:30 pm

that you are really quantity a person admin your running a blog is amazing i usually verify your blog site i am certain you will likely be the most effective

244 Jame July 25, 2012 at 5:34 pm

Great post admin thank you. I observed what i was searching for right here. I will review complete of posts in this day time

245 http://www.affordablehomeinsurancequote.com July 12, 2013 at 1:42 pm

Hello would you mind stating which blog platform you’re using? I’m going to start my own blog soon but I’m having a hard time making a decision between BlogEngine/Wordpress/B2evolution and Drupal. The reason I ask is because your design seems different then most blogs and I’m looking for something completely unique.
P.S Sorry for being off-topic but I had to ask!

246 affordableautoinsuranceonline.com July 19, 2013 at 12:39 pm

My brother recommended I might like this web site.

He was entirely right. This post truly made my day.

You can not imagine simply how much time I had spent for this
information! Thanks!