The Strokes to play ‘Jimmy Kimmel Live’ on July 26

What do you think they’ll play?

1 Casanegras July 18, 2016 at 10:37 am

I hope they will play oblivious or drag queen.
But for sure they will play threat of joy

2 Gagashi July 18, 2016 at 2:00 pm

Threat Of Joy is more likely but… they could surprise us and play OBLIVIUS instead or both, or DQ, why not? Oblivius would be more risky I reckon (obviously) – with those notes – I always hold my breath tight and grin and even get cold sweats (Jesus!) when I see Julian singing high notes live. Too afraid he will mess up, I even repeat a “don’t mess up” mantra in my head… (sorry Julian)

3 El Pedro July 18, 2016 at 2:30 pm

Drag Queen
Oblivius

4 Miguel July 18, 2016 at 6:06 pm

Yeah I love threat of joy, but i think the other two would be more interesting to hear live, although DQ(my favourite of the ep btw) may be a little too weird for the mainstream audience i guess, i don’t know but i’ll sure enjoy whatever they play

5 AutomaticStop July 18, 2016 at 7:47 pm

Threat of Joy or Drag Queen. DQ is the best one live, ToJ sounds great, it’s just a simple song.

6 Pj July 19, 2016 at 11:58 am

I think they will play Drag Queen but if they don’t then it will almost certainly be Threat of Joy. It could very easily be either one – I heard both at governors ball and they were on point. Drag queen just seems to have a more powerful chorus.

7 lit2pop July 19, 2016 at 5:07 pm

Kimmel has a proper outdoor stage set-up right? If any of you guys go there I wouldnt be surprised if they play all three but just broadcast one track

8 Obstinate July 19, 2016 at 6:42 pm

@lit2pop They’re not scheduled on the outdoor stage that day though. So it seems like they will play inside the studio.

9 Anthony C July 20, 2016 at 4:05 pm

Anyone recall when Julian botched “taken for a fool” on Letterman so much so that they had to do 2 takes…

I never heard the real story behind it…but when you watch the cut they aired, you can see that they mashed two performanced together…especially at the end…

Persoanlly, I thought all the late night “Angles” performances were pretty rock solid…LISITM was amazing on SNL

10 El Pedro July 22, 2016 at 8:23 am

@Anthony C

Really? Did not know that at all. I DVR’d that performance, I think it was their best “Late Night” performance ever. It was awesome. Had no idea he botched it but now that you say that. At the end, you see Letterman come up to shake their hands and Julian is shaking his head and you hear Dave say “Oh c’mon, you were great”.

11 Anthony C July 22, 2016 at 4:04 pm

@El Pedro

Also take a look at the mic stand at the end when Letterman comes on vs. the shots right before the end. You can see that it’s two takes

12 LeavingIt July 22, 2016 at 11:14 pm

Ah, the Letterman curse. (It was on that show that Julian took a bad fall during TIOLI. Otherwise, it’s an electric performance.) But yeah, Julian messed up the lyrics on TFAF. He started out that one line okay, but then changed it to the wrong one and then it went haywire. Nice recovery, though. They are true professionals. Everyone sure likes to dramatize that performance. I don’t read anything more into it than Julian being irritated with himself for messing up.

Good catch on the mic stand, Anthony. I’d noticed that, but didn’t know what it meant. Second take makes sense. I’ve always doubted the bands are actually playing to a live audience anyway. They never show the audience like on other programs. Probably just a few select people and the crew. (I like the one — can’t remember which — when Julian breaks from the song to shhsh someone off to the side.)

13 Casanegras July 25, 2016 at 2:58 pm

Can’t wait to see them play live with a proper sound!
This is so exciting! I always thought the live apereances of angles on TV were pretty weak.
Just look at the live apereances of is this it, room on fire and some of fioe!
They were so electric and tense… I’m very curious what’s it gonna be this time!

14 ricardo July 26, 2016 at 12:33 pm

are they going to stream it?

15 LeavingIt July 26, 2016 at 6:52 pm

@ricardo
Supposedly you can watch the show on-line (maybe not live, but at some point) on the show web page, but I haven’t been able to get the page to load correctly.

16 Ted July 27, 2016 at 1:30 am

video of the Kimmel show !
great performance !