The Strokes To Headline Radio 1′s Big Weekend 2011

Back when I saw The Strokes at Lollapalooza, they co-headlined Friday night’s festivities. The act on the other side of Grant Park was Lady Gaga.

The Strokes will again co-headline with Gaga at Radio 1′s Big Weekend on Sunday, May 15. For the sake of those attending the festival, which is put on by the BBC, I hope The Strokes perform with the same ferocity and beauty as they did when they co-headlined with Gaga at Lollapalooza.

(please watch from :50 – 1:05. Julian’s voice is so beautiful.)

Thanks for the link, Tom.

1 alex March 30, 2011 at 10:37 am

They fuckin rocked Lolla! and 2:24 is badass… wish i could go to the festivals in europe

2 AC March 30, 2011 at 11:02 am

Lolla was probably my only chance to see them live…and I missed it :(
Hoping they come to the midwest again at least once this year.

3 Brian Wallace March 30, 2011 at 11:26 am

“Angels” actually came in at No. 4 in the charts. They couldn’t beat Adele.

Brian

4 Brian Wallace March 30, 2011 at 11:26 am

“Angles”

5 Maria March 30, 2011 at 11:54 am

Ha just realised that there’s another maria who posts here! From now on i’ll be ‘other maria’! This is so cool! Best news! Looking forward to catching it, thanks for this!!!

6 Jose March 30, 2011 at 11:55 am

He played it like this at sxsw and my god it was so beautiful. My friend turns to me and tells me I am in love with him, I told her so am I

7 Maria March 30, 2011 at 11:59 am

Just thought, it’s actually pretty cool that gaga’s playing same time as maybe she’ll suck some of the crowd and save the elbow-to-the-face scenes from sxsw

8 Sam March 30, 2011 at 12:36 pm

i wish i lived in england. why do they get all the best concerts? not fair =(

9 Other Maria March 30, 2011 at 12:47 pm

Lol i just saw the picture of julian shopping in UO that eric has up on twitter. Is that even him? I guess the cool shoes pin him but but it’s so blurry!

10 wolfman March 30, 2011 at 1:20 pm
11 Other Maria March 30, 2011 at 1:27 pm

Jesus what an idiot liam gallagher is! It’s funny makes me think of the nardwuar interview when julian talks about meeting noel in the bathroom at a gig and them nardwuar says something about the asshole brother paul and julian’s like u mean liam?!! And that was 10 years ago.

12 tom March 30, 2011 at 1:33 pm
13 jw March 30, 2011 at 1:51 pm

the tickets are allocated to people who live closest to the host town – carlisle! theyre free but its really lucky if you get a ticket! id be so happy if i got one! though its unlikely..i dont live near haha :(

14 Kimdiy March 30, 2011 at 1:55 pm

the only way liam seems to be getting any press these days for his band, is to be bad mouthing julian and the strokes. i’m sure he’s super pissed that the strokes are billed higher than beady eye but c’mon dude your band is a knock off of oasis which is a knock off of all good british bands from the 60′s and 70′s. write real music, then maybe that chip on your shoulder would make sense.

oh, and GET AN F”‘ING HAIRCUT!!!
god i hate that douche…sorry, i’m done.

15 thevigilanteoflove March 30, 2011 at 2:04 pm

Can you really expect anything better out of Liam. He and his brother have been taking shots at people and making remarks like that for years. I like Oasis as much as the next guy, especially those first two albums. They were brilliant, but I try to avoid listening to what Liam has to say in interviews becasue it’s usually not pretty.

16 Didi March 30, 2011 at 2:17 pm

@eric van drill. you’re from chicago?

17 Carolyn March 30, 2011 at 2:18 pm

@AC same here!! I don’t know what I’ll if they don’t come back.

18 Carolyn March 30, 2011 at 2:18 pm

*do

19 Kimdiy March 30, 2011 at 2:18 pm

no i get that liam talks smack about everyone, but it’s just nauseating how he always goes for negative press. why can’t he be classier and let his music speak for himself. he’s seriously more insecure than a pre-pubescent girl.
and i don’t dig how he’s perpetuating the julian vs. the strokes shit.

20 Julian March 30, 2011 at 4:29 pm

Liam is an asshole, everyone knows it, just like his comment on King of Limbs….lol what a joke he is

21 Mykel March 30, 2011 at 4:30 pm

i fuckin hate the Oasis brothers, there just bowl cut pussy’s who like to complain.

22 Cory March 30, 2011 at 5:36 pm

Hey Eric, when you post about the strokes on Jimmy Fallon you might want to consider including this video that features Russell Brand (tonight’s guest on Fallon) interviewing Nikolai and Fab. It might be a good closer or something recognizing the last time the strokes interacted with Brand.

23 sophie March 30, 2011 at 5:48 pm

this performance is epic.

i am feeling desperate to see them again.

24 thomass March 30, 2011 at 7:38 pm

saw them @ lolla…. it was surreal.

25 Agueda March 30, 2011 at 8:24 pm

i love watching footage of the strokes doing this song live. *sigh*

26 Rick March 30, 2011 at 8:29 pm

I fucking dig Oasis, but they are obviously no where near as good as the Strokes. Liam talking shit is just his style. I’m from Chicago, and I was at Lolla. That rendition of Under Control was the best thing of that night, totally unexpected. It really felt like everyone on that side was making a statement. Fuck Lady Gaga.

27 Carolyn March 30, 2011 at 8:48 pm

I’m from Chicago, I didn’t get go to Lolla because a) I had to work and b) none of my lame friends wanted to see the Strokes, this is why this little website means so much to me. I never get to obsess over my favorite band to anyone! Thank you Eric and everyone else for letting me talk about and absorb all things Strokes!!

28 Wendel March 30, 2011 at 9:13 pm

yea gaga sucks so bad, hate to read the strokes and lady gaga in the same sentence

29 Tobz March 30, 2011 at 9:42 pm

When I saw Julian Live, he played The Modern Age for the first time in 4 years and basically they did the same thing as with Under Control, he played the chorus slow and then started the actual song…and it sounded awesome

30 protogyl March 30, 2011 at 10:33 pm

they played you’re so right…

31 Tobz March 30, 2011 at 10:42 pm

yep. Nick vocals didn’t do too much good to the song, overall it was alright but the ending was awesome

32 Carolyn March 30, 2011 at 10:44 pm

loved the intro jimmy gave them at the beginning of the show

33 Hanan March 31, 2011 at 4:40 am

Julian’s voice is beautiful indeed.

34 kristine March 31, 2011 at 7:23 am

Beautiful. So glad to have been there for this… it was so exciting knowing it was their first show back in the states “in like forEVER!” as Julian said : )
And @Maria – we were hoping the same thing about Gaga taking away some of the crowd… didn’t happen. People are crazy for these guys : )

35 Drew March 31, 2011 at 9:33 pm

Oh god, such fantastic memories. I was at Lolla to see them, front row, it was such a beautiful performance. Probably my favorite concert.

If you’re interested in actually hearing this if you weren’t there. There’s a soundboard of it avaliable. Full performance.

36 Kevin April 1, 2011 at 10:17 am

@Drew – Thanks for the link! Where is this soundboard version you speak of?!?

37 kore dizileri izle July 24, 2012 at 9:04 pm

i bookmarked you in my browser admin thank you a lot i will likely be seeking your following posts

38 Quinn July 25, 2012 at 4:48 pm

Great put up admin thank you. I discovered what i was trying to find right here. I’ll review total of posts in such a evening