Things are (actually) happening with The Strokes

Not only is Julian hosting a new, monthly show on SiriusXM (details here), but The Strokes have announced a new show.

The gig will take place on Tuesday, May 31, at the Capitol Theatre in Port Chester, New York. It was likely added to the band’s itinerary to serve as a warm-up for The Strokes’ headlining slot at Governor’s Ball later in the week. The pre-sale for the Port Chester gig begins at noon ET on Thursday, May 26.

1 Rob May 24, 2016 at 12:41 pm

I’m pumped, but no way will new Strokes be as cool or as vital as the Voidz. The Strokes’ songwriting formula went south when Julian relinquished power. The first two albums are flawless, the others, though full of great songs, are all deeply flawed, with too much filler.

2 AutomaticStop May 24, 2016 at 1:00 pm

Great news. Especially the new show – am I wrong in considering it the first non-festival, non-sponsor type gig in several years? Like the band are finally in a good enough spot to agree to do this extra show pre G Ball.

I also saw posts from Albert and Nikolai in the last couple of days, indicating an exciting about Strokes stuff that I hadn’t felt from the band members in a while. Could it be that during the week they’ll be in NY they’ll be working on new material? Nikolai’s instagram mentioned “possible surprises” for the May 31 show. Previously unplayed live songs at GBall, possibly even new tracks, is looking probable now.

3 j May 24, 2016 at 1:09 pm

Has anyone posted about this already? julian remixed a Songhoy Blues song a couple weeks ago. It’s a more subtle remix, but it’s pretty tight.

4 hahaha May 24, 2016 at 3:07 pm

This seems like business as usual. I don’t want to over-promise and under-deliver myself into thinking The Strokes are back to form and are engaging fans again. I wouldn’t if I were you.

Cynicism fuck yeah!

5 FrenchConnection May 24, 2016 at 3:16 pm

yep, so pretty, the remix
so pretty and so sublime, really

the strokes are (almost) back, so, but whore it’s long, it’s slow
the snail which goes up stairs, five snail, fab and nick and all, five snail, eighty steps

if they announce, in the next few week, the disc for february 2017, i dead
mid-october, maximum

but the remix, the song, ouah, superb

6 Nick May 24, 2016 at 7:34 pm

Everyone chill out, they are only doing like 4 shows, all for money they did that couple years ago. Bet they won’t do anything after August till next summer 2017.

7 hahaha May 24, 2016 at 7:46 pm

@Nick

Agreed. Think about it.

Summer Moon is prepping their debut release. Last we heard from Albert, he was recording his new record in May. Allegedly, The Voidz have been working on #2. They’ve done the balancing act before and The Strokes took the back seat. Hopefully, my negativity is just stoking the fire.

8 buy the rey pila album May 24, 2016 at 9:10 pm

Summer moon doesnt seem like a really serious thing, I dont think Nikolai would even tour with that group. Albert mentioned LP IV in a jestful tone in response to somebody clowning him and then deleted the tweet. The Voidz rumors are more plentiful but not exactly solid. JP’s recent mention of “Julian asked for some help with some Voidz stuff” was not dated, it couldve been over Tyranny. Beardo shot down somebody who was suggesting some work he was doing was Voidz, saying something like “I do work other than Voidz”. The Shaw Everett post was literally just “Tracking II”.

Meanwhile the strokes evidence is equally scant, such as the record exec talking about a new single. BUT, major publications like NME and COS have run with the narrative that the strokes are set to release new music. JC also said they’d be back in the studio.

The evidence isnt strong either way, and theres no time table. But Im sticking with my gut feeling that we will have either New Strokes music or a date for it by the end of the summer.

9 Michael May 24, 2016 at 9:52 pm

Maybe a new single for the cult website.

10 Steve May 25, 2016 at 8:33 am

@Rob I agree that the Strokes songwriting formula went under when Julian relinquished power. But, the Voidz will never be as cool or as vital as the Strokes.

@Nick not sure who you’re telling to chill out, maybe you need to calm down. Is the rest of you’re statement true? Likely.

11 Rob May 25, 2016 at 1:45 pm

The Strokes are largely a nostalgia act now, while the Voidz are brand new with far more innovative sounds than the Strokes.

12 buy the rey pila album May 25, 2016 at 2:01 pm

^ I agree. Tyranny is better than Angles or Comedown Machine.

13 El Pedro May 25, 2016 at 2:21 pm

@buy the rey pila album

I agree with your 3 paragraph statement, 100% agree with it. Well written and thought out.

But, Tyranny is not better than Angles or CM. It’s industrial noise, sounds like rape chamber music. Don’t get me wrong, there are good songs on it (three in my opinion), I’m not saying it’s a bad album. I’m just kind of talking shit in a fun way so don’t take it personally. Too many emotional people on here.

14 lettuce-face May 25, 2016 at 2:59 pm

@El Pedro do you even NIN bro?

15 lettuce-face May 25, 2016 at 3:21 pm

***every time someone says “X is better than X”, or “X is garbage/the best” no one should respond in favour or against. Popular opinion on the Strokes’ biz and their side biz is already well documented. That shit just draws out trolls and starts flame wars. Save it for when the new album drops. Then we’ll get nasty.

16 Eli Manning May 25, 2016 at 3:22 pm
17 lettuce-face May 25, 2016 at 3:24 pm

@Eli
GAAWDDAAM! THA HYPE IS REAL!

18 j May 25, 2016 at 3:29 pm

@eli omg what is that???

19 Tommy Pickles May 25, 2016 at 3:29 pm

Also this. Could be nothing but paired with the other tweet it looks like a new single out on Cult….maybe…

20 j May 25, 2016 at 4:06 pm

strokes single tomorrow on julian’s radio show. guaranteed.

21 andrés May 25, 2016 at 4:59 pm

GUYS!

from: thestrokes brazil twitter account

22 Raulf May 25, 2016 at 5:14 pm

Am I dreaming?

23 Condöm May 25, 2016 at 5:31 pm

New single tomorrow!

24 Condöm May 25, 2016 at 5:32 pm

This is butt fuckingly good news my regular motherfuckers! 😀

I am so excite!

25 Anthony L. May 25, 2016 at 5:48 pm
26 Anthony L. May 25, 2016 at 5:48 pm

27 buy the rey pila album May 25, 2016 at 5:55 pm

okkkkkk here we go veryyyy nice, hopefully we hear some new music tomorrow. theres a lot of talk about how an album does better when u make everybody listen to it at once, and maybe thats the plan here. play a single tomorrow and play the whole thing on the next episode of his show

28 buy the rey pila album May 25, 2016 at 6:04 pm

wait do you have to pay to listen to sirius xm on the internet? thought you only had to pay for that shit if it was in your car

29 Anthony L. May 25, 2016 at 6:48 pm

^yep. It’s cheaper on the internet I believe.

30 j May 25, 2016 at 6:56 pm

You can get a 30day free trial if you do it through the siriusxm website.

31 Mateja May 25, 2016 at 7:01 pm

A new single called Future Present maybe?

32 Ubu May 25, 2016 at 7:22 pm

@j
it’s a shame that those of us outside the US can’t get it, though. I tried setting up an account but it won’t let me log into it.

I hope the new song is streamed somewhere else

33 LeavingIt May 25, 2016 at 8:02 pm

I’m a little suspect of that clip. Why not just link us to the actual site? Anyone could have recorded that. Anyway, Sirius has a free trial right now to May 31 (I didn’t see a 30-day free trial.) At least I’ll catch the first show, but after that I’m screwed. (Maybe some nice person will record it via that Vocaroo site and post it here.) You need to create an account, so don’t dilly dally. But damn, it sure slows down the computer! (Only for Julian will I get up at 7:00 am.)

34 LeavingIt May 25, 2016 at 8:06 pm

That Twitter vid worries me — more electronica. Please no.

With all the hype they’re building, they better put out something spectacular. They’re setting the bar high.

35 ??????? May 25, 2016 at 8:19 pm
36 Kinger May 25, 2016 at 8:26 pm

@LeavingIt

Remember 12:51?

37 Raulf May 25, 2016 at 8:32 pm

I wonder if this clip is hinting what the single will be called…

Who knows. Guess we all have to wait til tomorrow to see whats up.

38 Kinger May 25, 2016 at 8:45 pm

It says, “Future, Present, Past.”

39 LeavingIt May 25, 2016 at 9:02 pm

Culture Void w/Julian Casablancas

Culture Void. Julian Casablancas hosts his own monthly SiriusXMU Show, Culture Void. The show includes an eclectic mix of under-appreciated and previously undiscovered gems from across the globe. Hear a new episode the fourth Thursday of every month.

Next airing: Tomorrow / 7:00 AM – 8:00 AM (That’s Pacific time, folks.)

Seems sort of cocky for him to play a Strokes song, don’t you think? And it really doesn’t fit the description of the show. But while I was listening to that station tonight, they played “Heart in a Cage”, which you never hear on regular radio (and happens to be my favorite Strokes song.) They also advertised his show, and he said a few words, but I couldn’t understand him. Sounded like he’d been up all night, asleep for only 2 hours, and someone had just shaken him awake and stuck a mic in his face.

40 SteveSpoon May 25, 2016 at 9:04 pm

New Strokes on Thursday and New Avalanches on Friday! Happy 2001 baby! I’m beyond stoked

41 Kinger May 25, 2016 at 9:08 pm

You know new music is near when you kind of hope for a leak soon. LOL.

42 Annie 1251 May 25, 2016 at 10:31 pm

In the little video:
Moving from Future-Present-Past ending up at Cult Records…

43 Annie 1251 May 25, 2016 at 10:33 pm
44 FreddyA May 25, 2016 at 10:53 pm

I’m so stoked.
New song or what, I’m still excited!

45 Oh Shit Bacon May 25, 2016 at 11:42 pm

So exciting !!!

Such excitement makes this long wait (since CM) worthwhile.

The Strokes are back !

The world is a better place with new Strokes songs^^

46 Ted May 26, 2016 at 4:45 am

So New Single today, and new ep in July !
🙂 🙂 🙂

47 FreddyA May 26, 2016 at 6:48 am

@Ted

Where did you get that from?
The EP-thingy, I mean.
And the date?

48 LeavingIt May 26, 2016 at 7:07 am

ALRIGHT! I’m up, I’m up… jeez. Way too early for this much excitement.

@ Kinger… True! And the fact that he’s running “from” future to present to past is encouraging. (I couldn’t see the words when I was watching last night.) OR, does that mean is a greatest hits album with some new material?

Cult site wants us to “subscribe” right off the bat? What for? I’m already subscribed to something on there — I get a bunch of notices. Took no chances — signed up again.

Okay, I’ve got 7:06 — get on with the show!

49 LeavingIt May 26, 2016 at 7:09 am

What’s with the voice? Trying to sound too wasted/mellow/cool. Please, Julian, we know you don’t talk like that. We’ve all heard you.

50 LeavingIt May 26, 2016 at 7:42 am

Huh. I’ll have to listen to that again. Maybe it takes a few listens, like most Strokes stuff. Liked the last half okay, but the first part sounded too heavily influenced by current pop trends. But nice to hear that old Strokey sound again as well. And it sort of puts to rest the rumor that the reason Julian doesn’t sing some songs in concert is because he can’t hit the high notes anymore.