The Strokes Hate ‘First Impressions Of Earth’

It’s a morning of posts dedicated to the information which Pitchfork’s uncovered. One of the most interesting aspects of this article I found was about the in-fighting, which is still going on. The wounds are still (seemingly) not healed because of the collective failure all five members felt while recording and touring FIOE.

This is how it started…

Bowersock, who sat in on the studio sessions for both Is This It and Room on Fire, recalls the second record being “the beginning of the other guys starting to voice their opinions on the music as forcefully as Julian would voice his.” Fraiture remembers some palpable discomfort on tour as well. “We were all up for working on music and playing, but [Julian] would want to wait to get back to New York and get settled [before writing]. It was a little bit frustrating. Around then he started withdrawing, maybe because he stopped drinking as well. A large part of our relationship was based on that– being at a bar and drinking.”

And the fighting continued to the FIOE sessions, which were, by most accounts, dreadful.

Of all the Strokes, Valensi probably has the most positive memories of the sessions. Most of the others describe the recording process for First Impressions in varying degrees of joylessness. Moretti remembers it being “difficult to put on a smile everyday. It was a get-the-job-done kind of thing.” Fraiture concurs. “The certain thing that makes bands great– the communication, the focus– was starting to recede,” says the bassist. Hammond, meanwhile, checked out entirely. “Talk about not having fun– that’s the understatement of the year. I was balls-to-the-wall fucked up, so it’s hard for me to judge.”

As a general rule, the Strokes aren’t easily satisfied. Most of the band members are quick to criticize each of their studio albums, but First Impressions is a favorite punching bag. All but Casablancas now consider the 52-minute album to be too long. Gentles recalls almost succeeding in getting the album shortened prior to its release as “Julian agreed to [cut three songs] at one point. I told the label and they were happy about it, too, but [Julian] rang me up a couple of weeks later saying he couldn’t do it. He didn’t want the songs sitting around doing nothing.”

1 John March 7, 2011 at 7:46 am

Not once do they say they “hate” first impressions of earth. Why are you making the titles of these posts so misleading?

2 Giorgi T March 7, 2011 at 8:03 am

I’m glad julian pushed for a longer albums it great for real fans as far as im concerned my favorite songs when it 1st came out were killing lies and fear of sleep. It would of sucked if either one or both ened up on the cutting room floor because of some notion that albums need to be 40 mins or less. I’m dissapointed there’s only 10songs on angles afteer 5 years.

3 Jeff Mathew March 7, 2011 at 8:12 am

I wonder which songs the were gonna cut from FIOE….I’m kinda glad they didn’t.

4 Bobby March 7, 2011 at 8:25 am

It’s by far their worst album, IMO. Still some great songs on it, but overall I hardly ever listen to it compared to the other two albums. Production sucks on it and some of the guitars on it aren’t that great either.

5 Steve March 7, 2011 at 8:36 am

Very mis-leading article title, don’t turn this into some type of NME site. Sounds like they all hate certain aspects of it or the recording of it, but not the album itself. And I’m glad Julian kept those three songs, whatever they may be. More Strokes tunes is a better thing, as far as I’m concerned.

6 AunomdelaFrance March 7, 2011 at 1:03 pm

FIOE is their best album, and it’s not a tto long album. Why can’t they realize that ITI and ROF were quite obsolete, and too short ?

7 Sam March 7, 2011 at 3:00 pm

jajaja. “balls-to-the-wall fucked-up”..i literally “lol”d at that. i love albert!

8 Andrew March 8, 2011 at 8:41 am

Yeah, there’s no way I’d say FIOE was garbage. I feel that musically, it jumped forward many years. It was great to hear what Fab can do on the drums. Let’s put it this way, I’m in no way a great drummer, barely even a good one yet, but I can drum 90% of the Strokes first two albums perfectly. When it comes to FIOE, I have an awful time trying to do that stuff. I love how it’s different than the other two.

I’m down to follow the Strokes progression wherever it takes them and I was definitely glad they made an album that was different. Ize of the World is ridiculous.

They’re allowed to have their own opinions, but like others have said, I would think that they straight up hate the album. If that were true, I wouldn’t be able to enjoy it when they play any songs from it. I’m saying that they may hate aspects of it, but not the entire album itself.

9 Andrew March 8, 2011 at 8:44 am

last paragraph, it’s suppose to say “I don’t think that they straight up hate the album” haha…

10 Hanan March 9, 2011 at 2:36 am

I’m starting to really hate this site

I usually can’t stand pitchfork but I read that entire article (against my better judgment because what you wrote here made it seem negative) for ONCE pitchfork wasn’t mean or condescending but compiled a very interesting history of my favourite band and I learned a bunch of stuff I never knew before. Pitchfork ended by saying
“Everyone’s putting the Strokes as a priority for at least the next little while,” says Valensi. “The best thing we can do right now is put out another one really quick.”,
which was extremely positive, not just for the website but for the band members whom you’re accusing of being liars and hating each other. they don’t hate each other. if they did they wouldn’t still be a band. they worked through their crap. they had a lot of issues and they dealt with them.

they don’t hate FIoE. you hate that album. you’re biased and you’re trying to get people to agree with you by pretending The Strokes agree with you.
Nick said he was worried the technology would be dated, as opposed to ITI and RoF which are retro and therefore timeless.
if you continue writing up this disparaging, divisive BS and dissecting every article into 5 negatively titled posts, you will alienate a bunch of your readers and that includes me.

11 Heya Hanan March 9, 2011 at 3:17 am

@Hanan..erm I think you are being a little too harsh. I think Eric actually likes FIOE. Its probably not professional of him to do this, but probably he’s upset because it all maybe be fake, atleast that’s how he interpreted it.

Love your blog Hanan..so dont hate me. You sound really angry. Okay I’ll shut up now.

12 Patrick August 10, 2011 at 7:57 am

Giorgi T, yes to killing lies and fear of sleep though my favorite is you only live once.

frankly i think this is their best album hands on

13 Patrick August 10, 2011 at 7:57 am

wow. hands down.

14 kore dizileri izle July 24, 2012 at 11:58 pm

Good 1 website manager triumph blog site submit wonderful sharings with this weblog often have entertaining

15 Noah July 25, 2012 at 5:48 pm

Fantastic submit admin! i bookmarked your website web site. i will look forward in the event you may have an e-mail variety adding.

16 wolfsie January 25, 2014 at 10:22 pm

Wow, I forgot how awful this site used to be before I started reading.