LISTEN: The Strokes — ‘One Way Trigger’

The Strokes have debuted its first new song in a little less than two years. It’s called “One Way Trigger”, and you can download it here.

Before you listen, I beg you: Listen to this song at least five times. You most likely won’t like it on the first listen because of Julian’s voice. I didn’t. But it will grow on you. I promise.

This song is obviously a stark contrast to every song in The Strokes’ catalog, most notably because of Julian singing in a high falsetto. It also appears to be the synth-heavy track 107.7 The End was referring to last week.

What do you think of the new song?

451 taken for a fool January 28, 2013 at 8:20 pm

hi gais. let me apologize for my dumb idiotic trolling comments. Forgive me. I am the same person as the fake Annie, as well. Please forgive me for i have sinned. I am sorry and am a dumb. The Strokes are great, you guys are my idols as well. I am jealous because I cannot hold a good conversation with you guys. Please forgive me.

Sorry guys. I am a dumb.

452 Matt January 28, 2013 at 8:21 pm

Oh this guy^

453 Rick January 28, 2013 at 9:01 pm

if everyone could just let my two cents in? One Way Trigger is one of the greatest Strokes songs of all time . They have advanced as a band in ways that we can’t comprehend right now. UCOD didn’t leave this sense of “must listen again” as OWT does. Just trust me, this is a classic song, everyone will adore it in the future.

454 TheTourist January 28, 2013 at 9:08 pm

@Rick
I dunno about anyone else, but it’s been on repeat (in my head and on my iPod) for a few days now

455 Matt January 28, 2013 at 9:12 pm

I still listen to UCOD as much as possible. Now it’s OWT as well.

456 Rick January 28, 2013 at 9:23 pm

@Matt
I find that surprising. UCOD just seemed like an attempt to reach back to the “roots”. By no means is it a bad song, but OWT is the future.

457 Matt January 28, 2013 at 9:32 pm

Well UCOD means a lot to me actually. For one, it was the first Strokes song I had ever heard. It brings back good memories, so I have an attachment to it.

458 Rick January 28, 2013 at 9:38 pm

@Matt
Wow, I’m sorry. Been listening to them since ’04, with B-Sides and stuff. Welcome to the great cult that is universally known as the Strokes fans.

459 Matt January 28, 2013 at 9:49 pm

Don’t worry. I adapted pretty quick. Heard UCOD, within the span of a few months, heard every other song.

460 Rick January 28, 2013 at 9:51 pm

@Matt
GREAT. Hope you heard the Arlene Grocery gig.

461 Matt January 28, 2013 at 9:53 pm

Oh boy did I.

462 Rick January 28, 2013 at 9:56 pm

Rock N Roll doesn’t get much better than that does it?

463 TheTourist January 28, 2013 at 10:08 pm

@Rick
Phazes/The Strokes are the single reason I started listening to music, so I’d say no, nothing’s better.

464 Alan January 28, 2013 at 11:18 pm

All The Time auring Feb 13 !!!!!

465 Christian January 29, 2013 at 3:34 am

117 repetitions!!!

466 Annie 1251 January 29, 2013 at 4:53 am

@Modern Age
When we were all guessing release dates – was it for album release or the first single? Because if it was for album release, I still have a shot with my June 21st date, lol!

Anyone else here want to join in and guess the exact album release date?
MA – do you still have the “list” of what we have so far?

467 Alan January 29, 2013 at 4:57 am

Feb 13 for “All the time” you guys

468 Annie 1251 January 29, 2013 at 5:07 am

@Rick & @Matt
Rick – I am so happy with your enthusiasm about OWT! :) I really like it too, and I agree that it is a song that I want to hear over and over. I just can’t seem to get enough of it! More than any songs on Angles….well, I do like LISITM alot.

But I will agree with Matt that UCoD is a good song – it’s so catchy and fun! Fab’s drumming was fantastic!
Which reminds me:

Any Drummers here?
How about Fab’s drumming on this song? Pretty good, yes? Tell us what you think.
I am thinking this might be the song where Julian wrote “Fab, study this.” (so bossy, lol)

(where is Random Guy, btw?)

469 Annie 1251 January 29, 2013 at 5:09 am

@Alan
February 13th! To be released everywhere or just that 107.7 radio station?

470 Samster January 29, 2013 at 6:20 am

I find increasingly on the new tracks fab’s drumming has got a lot tighter in sound, almost like the drum machine he was trying to recreate in ITI

471 the modern age January 29, 2013 at 7:28 am

Does anyone else thing there’s more than one drum track on OTW? I’m not a drummer so I could be wrong. That’s something Julian talked about wanting to do with TS but was hesitant to bring it up, so I’m wondering if “the dudes” agreed. @Samster, agreed.

@Rick, Nice to see a Strokes veteran like me have the same attitude about OWT :) I’ve been a fan since 2002.

@Annie, I still have the list, and it was for the album release. Anyone else want to guess and I’ll add you to the list. Here’s what we have so far (if you don’t like this game, take it or leave it)

Matt, All of March unless someone challenges and wants a March date :)
Maya, April 7
Wolfsie, April 25
Me, May 6
LillySu, May 8
Ted, May 10
Jasper, May 22
Annie, June 21
Eric, October 21

472 Alan January 29, 2013 at 7:28 am

THE STROKES 5th ALBUM “COMEDOWN MACHINE” !!

35min49 seconds

473 brent January 29, 2013 at 8:35 am

@Alan I was just coming to post that. It’s on the official site, so I’ll believe it. I’m guessing late April.

474 Eric Van Dril January 29, 2013 at 8:36 am

@Alan — Are we sure that’s what it is?

475 paul January 29, 2013 at 10:35 am

I love the new song.
At about 3:33 towards the end, Julian does this thing he often does; he throws in a new melodic twist to the vocals that’s so wonderful, you think another singer would milk that and make a whole song around it. You can hardly hear it but its perfect.
I know he’s done this on other songs, can’t think of them right now.
Anyone else know what I’m talking about?

476 the modern age January 29, 2013 at 1:47 pm

@paul, Yes I do :) The end of 11th dimension comes to mind first, but there are a lot of Strokes songs as well.

477 Matt January 29, 2013 at 9:33 pm
478 H January 30, 2013 at 12:56 am

First time the band members are in the lyrics sheet itself. (Whats with the handholding trololol)

Still can’t quite make out what the song is about.

479 Christian January 30, 2013 at 4:39 pm

They still seem to exactly know what they’re doing. So well composed. A change in style, not in attidude…

480 martinmorten January 31, 2013 at 4:45 pm

i listen A-ha “TAke on me”