Thundercats Are GOOOOOO! And Other Shit From The Strokes’ Austin City Limits Show

Nice boot, yo.

I was thinking about The Strokes the other day with my mind appropriately blown from Electricityscape and I realized Austin City Limits, more than likely, will be the last “Greatest Hits” set The Strokes perform. Now, I’m not saying that they won’t play another gig until their fourth record is released, but I hope this was the last show that doesn’t feature any new songs. Not because the shows aren’t great, I just NEED that new record like a junkie needs a blast.

Anyway, I wish I was there last night. The Strokes, according to this setlist, played a 14-song set which surprisingly began with Is This It and included Trying Your Luck, Evening Sun and Between Love and Hate. I’m in the kind of mood/state where Evening Sun and Between Love and Hate are my favorite Strokes songs, so I am very envious of everyone who was at the ACL show Friday night.

“Break you heart in two halves / Keep one half and give one half to me / I like the sum, miss the summer / Tell me what to do you do / Nothing? Me too…”

And while we’re talking about incredible, breathtaking lyrics, here’s a video from last nite where Julian sings the Thundercats theme. He is soooo rock ‘n’ roll…

I’ve heard preliminary things about the ACL show, but I’d like to hear more. How did Evening Sun, Trying Your Luck and Between Love and Hate sound? Were you disappointed they were late or that certain songs weren’t in the setlist? Tell me about it, people.

In the meantime, there are more ACL videos after the jump. And you can see a bunch of ACL pictures here.

Need more Strokes videos? Let me remind you about that fucking awesome Stubbs show on Wednesday night.

1 Becky October 9, 2010 at 5:45 pm

Oh, me again. I thought the rarities sounded good. I have a bit of trouble expounding because they always play everything so straight. You know, super tight and stuff, but it’s not like they improvise a lot. Bad attitude? Jules had to ask what the first line of Between Love and Hate (I think) is. That was funny.
I thought the set ran smoothly. I freaked out when Julian said they were going to play some stuff they hadn’t played in a while. I started screaming for Hawaii, since, you know, the Stubbs closer debacle.
So, been listening to some pretty mushy songs there, Eric. Who is she?

2 Speedy October 9, 2010 at 5:55 pm

omg becky was that you screaming hawaii??? because i heard a girl screaming hawaii then started singing haw-wah-ee, hawa-ah-ah-ee…and then heard her sang…run run run from (sagganuts and it might’ve been another girl) but it’d be pretty awesome if it was you and i was right by you and didnt know it was becky from the fan page.

3 Becky October 9, 2010 at 6:31 pm

Let’s see, a girl screaming and acting like a freak. Sounds very much like me. I was wearing a black Julian Casablancas t shirt (yes, I’m a massive tool), denim skirt, and I carry a gigantic purple bag?
Wait, you’re a dude, right? So none of that description will help.
I’m a brunette with big tits.

4 Steph October 9, 2010 at 6:55 pm

I like how the three of us are STILL commenting on this…I for one will be re-living it for days..probably weeks (ok, months). I was also yelling for Hawaii after Julian said they were playing stuff they hadn’t played in a while. I thought of Ize of the World too…that would have been so awesome. I thought all 3 songs sounded great even though Julian was having trouble with the lyrics on Evening Sun. He also had trouble with the lyrics on Under Control, and like he awesomely does, he sang about it at the end of the song. Albert’s solo on Trying Your Luck was magical. I’m sad I didn’t get to hear Heart in a Cage between the two shows- that’s definitely one of my faves. Oh, and 12:51 too! My friend was upset that she didn’t get to hear Modern Age or Whatever Happened at ACL, both of which they played at Stubb’s (she did not go to Stubb’s). And of course I wasn’t disappointed that they were late- I kind of expected it. The crowd’s attempts to get them out (chanting, counting down) were amusing, though! All in all, both shows were pretty mind-blowing. They are 5 super cool, super nice dudes that just make magic together on the stage. Seeing them live is amazingly satisfying and yet not so….you just can’t get enough, no matter how much they play. New album, come out right now!! If I think of something else significant, I will add it later.

5 Speedy October 9, 2010 at 9:30 pm

are you kidding me Steph?
even though i love the strokes i think julian is an asshole, he kept me waiting 2 hrs after the concert just to find out he had already left, its a love-hate kinda thing…dunno which one tho, maybe its BETWEEN LOVE & HATE.
gotta love em tho.

6 Speedy October 9, 2010 at 9:31 pm

after the j.c. tour i meant, at the house of blues in dallas.

7 siobhan October 10, 2010 at 4:30 am

Anyone know what happened to Julian’s leg???? All this talk about the band being giddy at ACL and Stubbs gives me a warm feeling inside and I was so happy to read that Julian knows he looks like an asshole wearing sunglasses at night.

8 siobhan October 10, 2010 at 4:32 am

@Speedy – it’s hardly Julian’s fault that you waited 2 hours outside an empty dressing room… you’ve just got to up the stalker stakes.

9 annie October 10, 2010 at 6:10 am

Thanks for the posts from the show! I loved reading all about it and wish I could have been at either one. It sounds like the band were at their best and just having fun. Does anyone else think that the Julian you get in the in-between-songs banter is pretty at odds with the Julian he creates in his lyrics and music? In other words – he’s always a bit dorky and awkward when he’s talking at gigs but then his music and his behaviour when he’s singing is ridiculously ‘cool’… I love both sides of him but I just think it’s pretty funny – like him saying that about the sunglasses but then he still wears them all the time. He will forever be a bundle of contradictions to me. @Siobhan – I don’t know what happened to his foot but I am so relieved that he’s not taken to wearing knee-high boots which is what I thought they were till I saw your post.

10 Preetha October 10, 2010 at 6:24 am

@annie.
so true !(bout julian being a bundle of contradictions). I remember reading this interview he did in 2003. The interviewer said how julian kept saying everday that he hated pringles. Then on the last night of the interview, after julian left, he saw a receipt. There was only one purchase. A can of pringles. Haha..dont know why I felt the need to share that.

11 kathleen October 10, 2010 at 7:51 am

I would love so much if they played Meet Me in the Bathroom – I think it’s my favourite Strokes song but they never play it live and I guess now it’s getting even less likely that i’ll get to hear it live.

12 kathleen October 10, 2010 at 7:57 am

@annie and preetha; I completely agree – he’s so completely contradictory that he ends up negating everything. it’s impossible to get any coherent information from him because in the same sentence he’s backtrack on everything he’s said and before you know it you’re back to knowing nothing again. At first I used to think it was a deliberate attempt to keep everything mysterious but he’s so consistent with it that I think he’s genuinely got a multiple personality disorder.

13 kathleen October 10, 2010 at 7:58 am

sorry that’s supposed to be “he’ll backtrack”

14 cheryl October 10, 2010 at 8:09 am

I really hope Albert will let his luscious locks flow – right now he just reminds me of my old geography teacher (white suite aside, that is). And if Julian would only stop dying his hair – I quite like the washed up Karate Kid look but he can look so much better with his natural hair colour – unless he’s going grey, then it’s all cool.

15 JC October 10, 2010 at 8:24 am

I agree with you cheryl. I think that julian should stop dying his hair cause i think it looks kind of trashy. And no fucking sun glasses, show us your eyes!
They should’ve played Alone Together, that would have been swell

16 stephanie October 10, 2010 at 9:26 am

does anyone have the complete setlist or know where i could snag it?

17 asma October 10, 2010 at 10:26 am

I’m with Cheryl, Albert needs to stop depriving the world of his potential fro. You people who went are sooo lucky man, and it’s down to the two girls who met the guys beforehand and requested ‘Evening Sun’, ‘Trying Your Luck’ and ‘ Between Love and Hate’ that you guys got to hear those rarely – performed tracks. God bless ‘em :)

18 wolfman October 10, 2010 at 10:53 am

Jules gets beat up a lot, doesn’t he?

19 julie October 10, 2010 at 11:31 am

@Steph: Any more details on what it was like meeting the band?? It’s so rare to get to meet them all together at once – they hardly even gave interviews as a full band when FIoE was released. Was it thanks to you that they played those songs?? I don’t think i’d be able to behave in any way appropriate if I saw them all hanging out in a hotel…
And I couldn’t agree more on Albert’s lack of fro and Julian’s dodgy hair dye – I really hope it’s just a phase. He just comes across as an arrogant asshole with the glasses – I wonder why the hell does he do it when he knows it comes across like that?? It just creates a sense of detachment. I wouldn’t mind so much on anyone else but he’s depriving us of the most beautiful, sad eyes……………..

20 Steph October 10, 2010 at 4:08 pm

I agree, Albert needs to let the fro come back!! And Julian’s hair seems to be less and less black everytime we see him…so maybe that’s a good sign. It was pretty funny to hear him call himself an A-hole that wears sunglasses at night…you have to wonder why exactly he always wears them now. He wasn’t wearing them at first at the Stubb’s show, but put them on pretty quickly.

@Julie: We had been talking to our waiter about meeting musicians and famous people at the hotel and after we had paid, the waiter came up to me and told me to go in the lobby, look at the tall dudes that were standing out there, and come back and tell him who they were. You can imagine my shock when it was Nick, Julian, and Albert. We had already met Fab and Binki, both of which were very very sweet (and ridiculously cute together). I didn’t want to approach the other 3, as they were talking with Rich about something. My friend is braver than me though and went right up to them, so i followed. They’re pretty much just what you’d expect. Albert was the friendliest for sure. Nikolai walked up at the last minute and ran over to get in our picture (to which I said “yay nikolai!” like a dork). As for Julian’s injury: I noticed it when I got next to him for the picture and said “oh, did you hurt your foot?!” and he said “yeah…a little.” So who knows. It was a very lucky day for me, that’s for sure!

21 Steph October 10, 2010 at 4:08 pm

oh, and no, it wasn’t us that requested the songs. when he said that those songs were by request, i was kicking myself for not requesting anything!

22 Nick October 10, 2010 at 5:34 pm

Anyone a fan of John Frusciante on here cuz apparently The Strokes used “Failure 33 Object” as their intro music for ACL. Which is awesome cuz i love both artists!

23 Becky October 10, 2010 at 6:41 pm

Reality bites. I don’t want to be back home. I want to be at a Strokes show every night. This week has been amazing.
And Julian, Julian, Julian. I love you so. I love your contradictions. Hard yet soft. Beautiful and ugly. Laid back yet uptight. Otherwordly and down-to-earth. Over-the-top yet still shy. Angry and happy. Polite and rude. Rebellious and compliant. Aloof yet engaging. You are a beautiful person and a sensitive little soul. You soothe me so. Your voice is my life raft.
I am so insanely jealous that you met him, Steph. I could not get up the courage to go down to 6th Street when you said everyone was out and about. Huge regret.
I just discovered Long Island Blues while bumming around Austin this week. God, so, so beautiful.

24 Jordan October 10, 2010 at 8:47 pm

@ Speedy, you waited outside the HoBs during the Dallas tour too? How long where you there? I stayed like until they’re were only maybe less than 5 people left. Like maybe 12:30. I pretty much figured he had actually left but ya never know if he could have showed back up. Was the dude with long hair, glasses, beat up jean jacket, white Julian V neck and red converse.

@ Steph, not to be super stalkerish but can you link us to the picture of you guys? Anything to make my jealousy surge :x what hotel was this at?

25 Bob October 10, 2010 at 11:49 pm

so far, this is the only “official video” of ACL that i could find… http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/51942/217708

and they make a brief appearance in this vid at 0:45 here…

Oh and as an added bonus, i found this abomination of “Take It Or Leave It” by a Japanese electronica band who cannot pronounce their L’s…

26 clare October 11, 2010 at 3:48 am

@Jordan: I think we’re probably all borderline mental cases/ stalkers at this point – it’s their own fault though! I too would love to see your picture of them, Steph, for more psychoanalysis on the inter-band dynamic…. you just can’t get that from pictures of them on stage. Thanks for all the details of your Strokes moment!
And thanks Eric for all the video posts – I’ve really enjoyed watching them! It seems like the concerts were amazing – the band was much more relaxed and fun. It really underlined for me how Julian’s happiness seems so central to the overall vibe of the band. And I’m so happy that they haven’t turned into complete music robots pumping out the same setlist again.
@Becky: I second all your sentiments on Julian…. a forever unknowable dreamboat.

27 phil October 11, 2010 at 8:07 am

how packed was the show at acl? that vid looks makes it look deserted!

28 Becky October 11, 2010 at 9:18 am

Phil, I read The Strokes had a bigger crowd than Phish that night, and Phish was officially headlining.
I was in the front row (not bragging or anything!), so I really couldn’t judge.

29 Steph October 11, 2010 at 3:38 pm

You’re welcome! I wasn’t going to post about it…but I couldn’t help myself. Plus, I thought you guys would find it interesting….the fact that they were all together, approachable, and friendly, that is. I don’t know how I feel about linking to a picture of me and my friends on a public site…sorry guys!! I will say that they look just as cool on the street as they do on the stage.

30 sharon October 11, 2010 at 5:30 pm

Please leave the hair alone.

31 Jess October 11, 2010 at 10:17 pm

Big time Strokes fan here…big enough that I was content with hanging outside Zilker Park just to hear them play because I did not have the money to get in (I spent it all to go see them at Stubbs…). About an hour before the band went on, two police officers gave my friend and I tickets. Needless to say, we were in shock. And yes, the set was amazing. They played Trying Your Luck, I cried like a baby…All in all, it was magic.

I loved how Julian threw in “raised on promises” during Last Nite– I wonder if anyone else heard that! But I couldn’t hear what he was jamming on at the end of Vision of Division, which by the way drew some of the greatest Julian banter I’ve experienced at a live Strokes show (and the one Julian gig, too). It was better than him calling 12:51 “foreplay”…Anyway, could anyone make out the end of that and help me out? Thanks in advance. I never want to stop reliving this week. The only thing that could have made it better? Bumping into them somewhere. But I’m not complaining: The Strokes blew my mind all over again this week. Bring on no. 4!

32 Rola October 12, 2010 at 11:19 am

Hey! Lets get The Strokes on The Simpsons!! Go to http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Strokes-on-The-Simpsons/167057543304555?v=info, “Like” it, and sign the petition! Then spread the word! Together, we can change both Strokes and Simpsons history!

33 Ha October 13, 2010 at 1:41 am

TRYING YOUR LUCK! YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS. *hyperventilates*

34 kristine October 19, 2010 at 12:52 pm

We drove all the way to Chicago (from south Louisiana) to see the Strokes first big show back in the US at Lollapalooza and it was absolutely amazing. The crowd was crazy and the show was super intense. It seemed perfect. Then we went to Austin for both the show at Stubb’s and the festival- The Stubb’s setlist was very similar to Lolla (I think they had been using a similar setlist for all the festivals this summer) but it was more intimate, and I thought they sounded great. THEN…. they completely surpassed all my expectations when they changed things up at ACL. They came on late (as always ; ) but Instead of starting with NYC cops, they opened with the drumbeat of Is This It… it was EXACTLY what we wanted after hearing two very similar shows. Perfect. The entire show was a lot less predictable, with little surprising things here and there. It was so exciting to be there for songs they hadn’t played in a long time, and it was also awesome to see how much they seemed to enjoy playing them. I also loved that Julian was more random and personal in his rambling between songs. In Chicago, he talked a lot about the festival and the city and the crowd…. I loved that at ACL it was about his sunglasses and Thundercats… and that they were throwing in songs they wouldn’t normally include. We were about 8 people deep from the stage and right in the center along the barricade, which was AMAZING because we could see so well. (and lean over the side to wave and yell and get great videos :). They did leave out a few really great songs, but we had already heard them at their other shows, so we didn’t mind at all. I couldn’t have been happier that they changed it up. Every time I see them (including Julian’s solo show in New Orleans) they leave me on a high for days, weeks, months…. but also leave me wanting more and more! I’m so jealous of the people who ran into them in Austin and were able to request songs… I requested “Is This It” as an opener before Lolla (via Julian’s twitter) so I was pumped to hear it at ACL. Hard to Explain is always one of my faves to hear live ever since Julian surprised us with it at his solo show. Between all the shows, I’ve heard most of the songs I’ve wanted to hear, but the song I’m still dying to hear live is Redlight. But I can’t understand how anyone would say any of these shows were anything but great because they were everything we hoped for and more. Strokes = AMAZING : )

35 kore dizileri izle July 24, 2012 at 5:32 pm

Greetings thanks for good put up i used to be browsing for this challenge last two nights. I’ll search for subsequent valuable posts. Have entertaining admin.

36 discount-hunting-gear.com October 3, 2012 at 1:07 am