The Strokes Arrive In Las Vegas, Prepare For First Show Supporting ‘Angles’

As two new songs from Angles leaked Wednesday, The Strokes were traveling to Las Vegas for their first show supporting Angles.

That show takes place on Saturday evening at the Cosmopolitan and, if you’re still interested in going, you can buy General Admission tickets here for $134.

If not, be sure to follow the band on various social media sites. Nikolai, Richard Priest, Albert, Ryan Gentles and The Strokes’ official Twitter have all posted Tweets about Vegas in the previous two days.

(Also, another cute picture of Julian’s son just hit the web.)

So, who’s going? Have you ever seen The Strokes live? Which song are you most excited to hear?

For everyone: Which songs do you think The Strokes will play? How many songs from the new record? How do you anticipate the new Angles tracks will sound in concert?

Expect video from Saturday’s concert to be posted on this page on Sunday morning. “I’m wearing a jacket full of meat…”

51 Bro March 12, 2011 at 12:07 pm

Where’s the after party?

52 wolfman March 12, 2011 at 12:08 pm

@grims, AsdkjfhgFrance and other haters: 1:39 of taken for a fool after the chorus is one of the most tense and emotional moments on a strokes song… you guys are becoming what the strokes hate. you’re letting the media’s warped messages get in the way of the music. these are fun, danceable songs that the strokes are fucking happy with or else they wouldn’t be releasing the album. if u imagine them in a room being all pissy, half-assing their takes while you’re listening to machu picchu, you’ve got the wrong idea.
as for all those comments about these songs lacking melody, i don’t even know how to respond, because frankly i’m shocked.
you guys can post whatever negative comments you want, but you won’t ruin my experience. i couldn’t be happier with what i’m hearing, and i still firmly believe the strokes are the best band in the world.

53 Chu March 12, 2011 at 12:08 pm

This is one of the moments when I realize how sucky it is that I live one hour away from Vegas and am going today but I’m 14…

54 grims March 12, 2011 at 12:12 pm

@wolfman not trying ti ruin your experience man. Just posting my opinion.

55 Mike in Queens March 12, 2011 at 12:17 pm

@grims funny, but the reason you don’t like some songs is the reason I do like them. Case in point, I think the structure of Machu Picchu is actually quite impressive. They go verse, chorus intro, verse, chorus intro, chorus, outro, verse quiet, verse, chorus intro, chorus, outro, outro w/lyrics, second outro, chorus intro, power chorus, quiet outro. >WHEW< I think the climax is in the power chorus and w/ the high octaves in the vocals. That's a lot crammed into a 3:30 song.

56 Mandingo March 12, 2011 at 12:25 pm

Hmmm, wild to see so many mixed feelings about the songs. I pretty much played ITI and ROF to death after they were released. Then when FIOE came out, I really dug about 5-6 songs and found myself skipping over the rest. I remember feeling like I was really losing my love for the band, as on the first two albums, I loved just about every song. Then Arcade Fire’s Funeral came out, and I got about as addicted to them as when the original Strokes records came out.

Man, after playing these new songs to death, gotta’ say I’m really really impressed. The only song that I think is a miss is You’re so Right. These other songs are solid. I’m loving them and feeling a re invigorating energy for the Strokes again. I don’t think this is a let down at all. Phrazes was a letdown, but even as many of the reviews have been noting Phrazes, it doesn’t remind me of that album at all. Sure, it would probably be a little better if Casablancas was more present, but I’m hoping after touring and playing these songs these guys will find a balance again to produce another album without all the band drama. Honestly, couldn’t ask for more so far.

57 blahblah March 12, 2011 at 12:50 pm

enough about the songs…wheres the video and pics from last night?

58 blahblah March 12, 2011 at 1:18 pm

woops! show is tonight. My B…so lets talk about those songs…Great songs…might be some of the best of Angles but really no room to speculate on that. I’m saddened that some people are finding a lot of faults in the new stuff. Maybe it’s the approach? Personally, I’m just happy to have a new Strokes record and I’m not trying to be too picky with the new stuff. I like it, its good, and I think it’s hard for The Strokes to drop a real turd. Even their worst songs (my worst songs could be some of your favorite songs) aren’t terrible. They haven’t reached Weezer territory yet. Everything after Pinkerton is inferior with few exceptions. Green Album is cool, Maladroit is cool (despite most fanboy opinions) Make Believe is meh(This is such a pity…boner) and everything else that follows is just meh.

59 Cris March 12, 2011 at 1:38 pm

@bro, I think the after party is on the 16th floor.
Not sure…a line is forming already dude

60 Nick March 12, 2011 at 1:46 pm

just found this, looks like from the comments it could be legit.

61 Andres March 12, 2011 at 2:08 pm

^ its not because all the comments are at the same time
also, the website is a bootleg pirate bay so its fake

62 Maria March 12, 2011 at 5:19 pm

I think it’s ridiculous to judge an album when we’ve only heard half of it and even at that, for all we know, Life is Simple might be even better on record, just as UCOD. I think this waiting is just driving us into overloaded statements. Keep in mind there hasn’t been one single review that’s given the album anything less than 3 stars which is pretty incredible given the range of media outlets that have reviewed it, everything from tabloid to broadsheet to music journals. I’ve really enjoyed the released songs, but not been blown away by any of the songs, however much i’ve tried but i know it’d be crazy to dismiss the album before it’s out. I didn’t really like half of FIOE either but loved the other half.

63 Friction March 12, 2011 at 5:57 pm

Does anyone know of any afterparties in Vegas?

64 grims March 12, 2011 at 6:40 pm

@Mandingo let’s hope you’re right. Totally agree with u on phrases

65 tom March 12, 2011 at 6:55 pm

nick doing backing vocals….this picture suggests so

66 secret man March 12, 2011 at 7:09 pm
67 AC March 12, 2011 at 8:11 pm

whoa…seeing Nikolai smile like that is kinda weird.

68 wolfman March 12, 2011 at 10:36 pm

anyone else notice Albert’s GfC in the nivea commercial?

69 Jettski1 March 12, 2011 at 10:41 pm

those fucking jackets are so ridiculously overpriced, especially when you could get a comparable jacket for 100 bucks. And Albert looks like he got punched right in the eye.

70 wolfman March 12, 2011 at 10:51 pm

they probably got the jackets for free

71 Jettski1 March 13, 2011 at 2:49 am

@ wolfman

I’m 99 percent sure that they just had the jackets on for the photoshoot, but The fact that they were wearing them and possibly got them for free has jack shit to do with the price. They list the item and the price under the picture, I was commenting on that.

72 chu March 13, 2011 at 2:57 am

TOkay everyone I just got back from the concert! It was surprisingly easy to sneak in! They started off with I can’t win and played a beautiful perfect set including life is simple. You’re so right, taken for a fool, under cover of darkness, the modern age, juicebox, is this it, take it or leave it, yolo, somedau, hard to explain, reptilia, last nite and much more. Perhaps most importantly, they played a new song. I can’t seem to think of which sample it was from but it was pretty simple with the same repeating lines and had kind of a dare I say bluesy feel? Either way, it was very catchy. he band seemed happy and from the videos I’ve seen, julian was more talkative than usual including blowing kisses and the classic julian bow at the end of the show.

73 grims March 13, 2011 at 3:12 am

what videos?

74 patrick March 13, 2011 at 3:12 am

pretty sure the ;ast three were gratisfaction, yolo, and last nite.

75 grims March 13, 2011 at 3:14 am

@chu maybe Call me back…

76 Chu March 13, 2011 at 3:30 am

@grims, Yeah, it’s hard to say. It said something like: You’re never gonna get my love! Or something like that. Someone mind listening to the samples and telling me which one that might be in? Sorry, my computer is practically fried and the sound wont work :(

77 grims March 13, 2011 at 3:37 am

Gratisfaction bro

78 Chu March 13, 2011 at 3:48 am

@grims, yeah I just saw the setlist too, so it’s pretty official. Pretty good song, but it’s not my favorite for sure.

79 Cris March 13, 2011 at 3:51 am

The show was fucken crazzzzzyyy!!! I was at the very front. Ppl were passing out, high as hell…securities were pulling out ppl left and right. Dudes running up stage away from security…. Girls yelling “get me outta here!!!!!!” While crying….to be honest, you will never how sick show was unless you were there! >=] good night

80 Chu March 13, 2011 at 3:53 am

@cris, I wish I could have gotten into the pit, it looked like such a good time. I didn’t actually have a ticket, though so it was kind of a bummer. Did anyone else see The Killers there? They were all there, but I only saw Mark. I also saw Richard Priest!

81 Deirg March 13, 2011 at 5:38 am

Soooooo… bootlegs?…. videos?… anything? :D

82 grims March 13, 2011 at 5:39 am
83 Theo March 13, 2011 at 8:21 am

Videos of the gig here !

This is in quite good quality !

http://www.spin.com/articles/strokes-bring-angles-life-vegas-gig and here’s an article about the show

84 tom March 13, 2011 at 9:06 am

Encore:
Gratisfaction
Automatic Stop
You Only Live Once
Last Nite

85 FrenchConnection March 13, 2011 at 9:10 am

Heart in a Cage? 12:51? No?

86 tom March 13, 2011 at 9:14 am

seems odd to drop two great songs for automatic stop and what ever happened.
good songs but they left out two great tracks

guess its only the first show and maybe still working out setlists

87 DarthVader March 13, 2011 at 9:15 am

listening to the video of You’re so Right makes me like it a little more. It sounds pretty intense live.

88 tom March 13, 2011 at 9:17 am

where are these videos??

89 DarthVader March 13, 2011 at 9:18 am

Also if anyone finds a vid of them performing Automatic Stop please post it here!! It is my favorite song of all time and I also think it is one of their most underrated tracks.

90 Didi March 13, 2011 at 9:20 am

This guy has most of the videos from last nite already up

91 DarthVader March 13, 2011 at 9:20 am

just search “the strokes at las vegas” on youtube and you should find a bunch. That’s what I did at least.

92 grims March 13, 2011 at 9:22 am
93 tom March 13, 2011 at 9:24 am

you’re so right sounds so good live

94 DarthVader March 13, 2011 at 9:25 am

A real low quality vid of “Gratisfaction” but I think the strength of the song still shines through.

I especially the good vibe at the beginning of the vid. Julian is in good spirits and he and the band seem to be communicating awfully well!

95 Yes March 13, 2011 at 9:28 am

I fucking love automatic stop. glad they’re playing it out

96 Mateja March 13, 2011 at 9:28 am
97 petee March 13, 2011 at 9:34 am

Alby and Nicky singing on gratisfaction

98 Kevin March 13, 2011 at 9:44 am

@DarthVader – I totally agree. Automatic Stop is an amazing song! LOVE to hear that they’re putting it back in the set.

99 j March 13, 2011 at 10:05 am

its crazy how much you’re so right has grown on me

100 alan March 13, 2011 at 10:12 am

Oh my god Julian can’t sing on Taken For A Fool, it’s horrible…