The Associated Press talks art, The Strokes with Fab Moretti

IMG_0961The AP caught up with Fab Moretti recently, and it published an article about The Strokes’ drummer today.

You may already know many details of the article — that Fab created a sort of interactive exhibit outside Rag & Bone in NYC, featuring 24 statues which people are free to take. The demand has been much higher than he thought it would be, the short article says, and it talks about why this type of project has excited him.

Near the end, it says that Fab said The Strokes are working on new material — again, we’ve heard rumblings that they’re all individually writing — but it also seems like this project is currently much more exciting to him than making music.

“I hate to sound jaded, but everything else has become routine and a business — that’s what the music industry has become to me — and I have to remind myself that creating is a privilege. Art has fueled creativity with a newfound fervor,” he said.

Here’s a photo gallery of the display outside Rag & Bone before everybody stole almost everything. The picture above is from Vice, which also has a gallery of Fab working on the display.

1 mateja October 30, 2013 at 11:25 am

It seems that The Strokes has became just a source of income for all them, not just Fab.

They have their things, things that make them really happy, and when they need the money they reunite The Strokes for some months. In that situation I wouldn’t expect much from the next record, I guess they will just phone it in.

2 Wolfsie October 30, 2013 at 12:15 pm

I think Fab’s project sounds great! Wish I had one of his little spacemen!

Julian makes a cameo in this Cerebal Ballzy video

3 Gibson October 30, 2013 at 12:38 pm

YASSSS that little cameo

4 yeah October 30, 2013 at 1:37 pm

fab most likley isn’t that good at writing songs…thats why he’s kind of not interested in the music side…this was his real passion…

5 Andres October 30, 2013 at 2:56 pm

I’m so happy for the guys, they are doing what they really love.

a month ago i posted that maybe julian casablancas is coming to sourthamerica next year (march/april)…a week ago i posted this leaked line up of a colombian festival

well ….the thing is that the line up that i posted of “estereo picnic” is real….RHCP are coming to lollapalooza chile (29-30 march 2014) and Zoé (a mexican band) confirm that are going to be at estereo picnic. so, yes guys. New casablanncas album and tour

The line up of estereo picnic/lollapalooza chile/argentina will be realesed next week :pp.

p.s: the new arcade fire album is awesome <333. sorry for my english i know it's not the best :c

6 Tannk October 30, 2013 at 6:11 pm

@Andres,
Sorry but its fake, Atleast the part about JC being there…

7 Alex October 30, 2013 at 7:01 pm

I don’t know how I feel about the strokes right now. Nikolai seems to be the only one who really wants to be out there touring, having a good time. The rest of the guys seem like they would rather just do other things. That’s kind of disappointing. :/

8 Tannk October 30, 2013 at 8:08 pm
9 Andres October 30, 2013 at 8:58 pm

@tankk no it’s not fake it was an official web page not just an image, i saw the webpage.

read this
“@indiedadepre Boatos circulam de que Julian Casablancas e Richard Ashcroft podem ser anunciados como atrações do @Lolla”
it says:
rumors said that casablancas might be coming to lolla

and this tweet from a chilean music store

‏@Sonartienda
Y se nos viene Nin, Arcade Fire, Soundgarden, Julian Casablancas #Buenacosa

“and nin arcade fire soundgarden, julian casablancas are coming”

10 squirrel October 31, 2013 at 4:24 am

Sooo… unpopular opinion and all that, but I don’t mind these little ‘solo breaks’ every now and then, both because I very much enjoy their solo work (especially Julian & Fab’s) and because imo it’s good for creativity & band dynamic. What Fab said about routine & business in the music industry was telling. Hopefully now that they’re free of RCA and able to create music in their own terms that will change quite a bit, but I don’t find it strange that 5 different people have their own individual projects & dreams they want to pursue in parallel with the band. Someone will probably call this ‘hero worship’ or something, but that’s just what I think.

Looking forward to see more of Fab’s art! Btw, did Nick completely stop doing photography?

And I’m confident 2014 will be a very good year for The Strokes. Either as a band or, you know, ‘Alone, Together’. :)

11 Next Dimension November 1, 2013 at 4:34 am

So I’ve been listening to Comedown Machine lately and thought it would be cool if we all went over what we thought some of the meanings to the songs were. We did it for FIOE a while back and I thought it was very interesting. I’m finding Comedown Machine to be great and it definitely gets better and better on repeat listens. So here are my interpretations….
Tap Out- “Decide my Past, Define my Life”
This is about drifting away. He’s tired of everything and is giving up. He thinks his hard work went unappreciated and sees no point in continuing on so he’ll just float off…
All The Time-
“You’re livin’ a lie
This is Julian going back to his former life. A clear allusion to You Only Live Once here. This life doesn’t suit him either though (livin a lie) and he’s ultimately unhappy.
One Way Trigger
“You asked me to stay
But there’s a million reasons to leave”
His depression turns to his relationship in this song. His relationship has lost it’s luster and he’s playing around with a loaded gun…aware that he can end it at any moment.
Welcome to Japan
“He lies on the phone
He cheats on his code
You’ll never believe me ’til you’re on your own”
Traveling…he cheats and lies about it to his significant other when he calls back. This is excitement but also has some reservations. He tells her “you don’t know how good you have it.”
80s Comedown Machine and 50/50
He seems to be back with his significant other here. Couldn’t really interpret these two. Anyone have any ideas?
Slow Animals
“You don’t have to try so hard
I think they got the message, you were out of your mind
It’s not so good to see you this upset”
This song he seems to be talking to his significant other about their kid. He seems to be telling her to calm down and stop being an overbearing mother. The kids aren’t going to remember you cared about them this much anyway. They are going to do their own thing.
Partners in Crime
“Life forgives you when you rebound
Why aren’t we leaving town right now?
Oh, alright, I know where tonight
I’m on the guestlist”
He seems to have made up with his significant other and they agree they have to escape. They end up going out but the night ends in tears.
Chances
In this song he seems to have given up on his relationship. He has already checked out and is just hoping she gets on her horse and is gone.
Happy Ending
And now they’re back together in marital bliss. He seems to want his significant other to tell him what to do but he has a deep sadness under it all “Pull the trigger please” and “I wanna die” are sung at the end of the verses
Call it Fate, Call it Karma
They seem to be back together but he has now gone crazy. He is obsessed with keeping tabs on her and just wants to be with her at all times. He is more open with her “Close the door….not all the way” and wants her to know what’s going on but this could end with her creeping her out.

Let me know what everyone else thinks!

12 yeah November 1, 2013 at 11:54 am

you’re implying that all these songs are about relationships with his girl…i don’t really think that……..there are some lines that may be about that but the messages or whatever aren’t really linear….like i think slow animals is about society and growing up…
thats just an example julian usually doesn’t have clear messages except for All the time, Life is simple, and a few others