Strokes IV Will Have 10 Songs, Was Recorded In A Barn In The Catskills (UPDATED)

Strokes IV was recorded in a house similar to this one up in the Catskills.

via She's Fixing Her Hair

In the most recent issue of Rolling Stone, Albert Hammond Jr. said the following…

“The record is done and awaiting mixing,” Albert said. “We’re all really excited to be stepping into the next chapter.

“We spent the last 6 months recording in my studio upstate and we are beyond thrilled with the 10 songs we have for this record. We cannot wait for everyone to hear it. I’m positive that you’ll be as excited as we are.”

The Strokes first recorded in Avatar, as you certainly know from the In Studio video released almost a full year ago. The band ended up scrapping those sessions, according to the piece (which I don’t have a scan of, but I’d love to post if you have it). So I guess it makes sense as to why there hasn’t been a second in studio video released.

Also from the piece, the sessions recorded at Albert’s house upstate were produced by Gus Oberg.

To read more about where The Strokes recorded their fourth album, click here.

1 Speedy November 27, 2010 at 11:17 pm

10 s0ngs?!?!? thats bullcrap, i figured if it took them that long to record an album they would at least have 12… ugh i just hope these songs can make up for ones missing.

2 Jordan November 27, 2010 at 11:43 pm

And also let me remind you again, that Phrazes for the Young only had 8 tracks.
I’m not going to mention Little Joy, Nickeleye or any of the others side project’s tracklists since

A. I’m not familiar with them

B. I know some will disagree and I maybe ignorant saying this, but I see Jule’s solo album as the most analogous to the Strokes since Jules wrote most of the stuff the Strokes did and of course, he’s singing.

As long as the songs are all killer, we have nothing to worry about, save busting a gut (or nut) from waiting another 4 MONTHS.

3 Sianna November 28, 2010 at 8:25 am

I will be honest. I was expecting more songs, but we’re talking about The Strokes here. We know that every song will be AMAZING. I just can’t wait to hear them. The excitement piles on…

4 Melodica3 November 28, 2010 at 8:31 am

Well I guess that it is safe to say that Adam Green was full of crap. Clearly he wrote that article even before they started recording at Albert Hammond’s house. So there is no way he heard any of that. And if he did it was all the old stuff that they did with the old producer. So they switched producer because they didn’t like the direction the old producer was taking them. And people were actually worried that the Strokes would make bad decisions regarding their music. I can’t wait to hear it. Also I agree with Jordan less is more. While I actually like all the songs on FIOE, maybe the band was just really happy with 10 songs so instead of putting a couple more random out of place songs on the record they just chopped it down to 10. I guess we will know in a couple months.

5 Bernardo November 28, 2010 at 10:02 am

Honestly after all these years of waiting I did expect more songs then just 10. But I know that our wait will be great rewarded with absolute masterpieces. Because out every single Strokes/Julian Casablancas ever made(not just recorded) there is only ONE song that don’t completely win my heart(Lost Hollywood)
Soo I know that our expectations will be blown away by these 10 songs(maybe even some B-Sides)
And I just can’t wait to hear one of the songs

6 Mary Shea November 28, 2010 at 10:43 am

Honestly, it’s kind of nice to hear they scrapped the Avatar session stuff. Makes me more confident in them. I’m really really really excited. 10 songs…I forgot to speculate how many tracks there would be. haha. The number of songs doesn’t matter–why push filler tracks? The amount they chose is undoubtedly the correct one. My anticipation is growing! Thanks for the post!

7 Speedy November 28, 2010 at 12:19 pm

well i hope they have a hidden song or something, like the libertines had in what became of the likely lads, woah, now that i notice, i dont think the strokes have ever done any acoustic songs or shows have they? n i think its “old hollywood” and not “lost hollywood”
but thats cool, its an alright song.

8 sam November 28, 2010 at 12:37 pm

@meldocia3 if your talking about that NME article with Adam Green talking about Strokes IV, Adam said on his twitter that he didn’t actually say any of it

9 phil November 28, 2010 at 4:53 pm

awwwww yesssss 10 songz? sounds like its tailor made to be a short sweet classic.

One thing:
I want b-sides and outtakes. we deserve them. someone tell those bastards that we want bonus material

10 Bernardo November 28, 2010 at 4:56 pm

Yea Speedy it is “Old Hollywood” i had my stupid T9 on.
and itd be awesome to have something like “I’ll Try Anything Once” Then hear its fully developed version

11 Steph November 28, 2010 at 5:00 pm

Agreed, B-sides or some sort of bonus material would be great. I love the thought of all the dudes recording together in Albert’s little country barn. I do wonder how much of the record they actually recorded there, and whether all the Strokes were actually present. Anywho, Albert seems very excited, so I’m excited! I too would’ve hoped for more than 10 songs, but I have faith that all 10 will be excellent and that they chose that number for good reasons.

12 annie November 28, 2010 at 5:01 pm

I’m so happy to hear that they scrapped the Avatar sessions because Julian seemed to have nothing to do with those songs. And I think 10 songs is a good idea – i’d much rather have 10 perfect songs than an album with filler tracks and I think their music always works best when it’s immediate and succint. I wonder though will the songs be really long like they were with Phrazes… I think Julian said somewhere that his next record would probably be less rambling than Phrazes but maybe he meant for his solo thing. Did anyone really believe that they’d produce an album of tribal chants and fish sounds? Is Adam Green ever not taking the piss?

13 Gimli November 28, 2010 at 10:58 pm

Speculation is worthless – the article supposedly belonging to Adam Green meant nothing, as well as the old video. These were merely tools used by the Strokes to further hype the fourth record. Why would they make that first video and then never say anything and not make a second? Why not? – they know that everyone that loves them will still check the site everyday for that update and no matter how many times there’s nothing, they’ll come back. Low and behold, their strategy has worked. The guys never cease to be geniuses. As more and more real information is released like the number of songs, the hype continues to build, and I think we all know that Strokes IV will not disappoint. Let’s go.

14 Marcus November 29, 2010 at 9:59 am

Has anyone thought about how it wouldn’t be surprising to see some of Albert’s vocals on this “collaborative” 4th record?

15 John November 29, 2010 at 12:27 pm

well i hope he is not singing on the album.. maybe as a back up singer.

16 Mario Barraza November 29, 2010 at 1:02 pm

To be honest, I would be disappointed if the other band members have vocal roles.

17 Becky November 29, 2010 at 2:49 pm

I can’t believe this. Guess what I was doing for a couple of weeks before I went to Austin for Stubbs & ACL? Roadtripping through upstate NY! More accurately, I was in rural NY, ignoring my family & fighting with my husband & listening to The Strokes & counting the moments until I’d be in Austin & somewhere nearer to them. Oh, and asking everyone every 5 seconds if we could please go into the city so I could stalk The Strokes. Yep, and I prob walked right by The Boys in like a fudge shoppe or L.L. Bean outlet & didn’t even notice because my mind was like, “StubbsStubbsStubbsStrokesStrokesStrokesAustinAustinAustin.” Outstanding. Outfuckingstanding. I’m going to go back to Ausable fucking Chasm right now to jump into it.

18 sean November 29, 2010 at 3:15 pm

gimli i doubt they put that much effort into hyping the album, or care that much

19 phil November 29, 2010 at 5:35 pm

so they produced their own album with assisstance from an engineer like albert did for his solo records? impressive

20 wolfman November 30, 2010 at 10:37 pm

I like how they decided to go it alone producer-wise, it gives them more air to breathe, and I’m confident they’ve made all the right choices.

21 dave December 2, 2010 at 2:02 am

10-11 tracks for an album is perfect, around 40 minutes, any longer and there genrally seems to be alot of crap added, this comment is not specific too the strokes may I add

“Chill Speedo, rememeber ITI and RoF both have 11 songs, it was only FIoE that had 14 (which depending on who you ask, a few tracks could have been dropped to better equal ITI and RoF in track numbers and overall quality.) ” Jordan

Totally agree with the above

22 wolfman December 4, 2010 at 7:47 pm

I’m so anxious it’s not even funny.

23 kore dizileri izle July 24, 2012 at 5:12 pm

Nice one particular blog site operator accomplishment blog submit good sharings with this website at all times have pleasurable

24 Maximo July 25, 2012 at 5:43 pm

you are genuinely range 1 admin your running a blog is remarkable i often examine your website i am sure you will likely be the most effective

25 reparação July 27, 2012 at 8:50 pm

Hi, you used to write exceptional articles, but the last several posts have been kinda lackluster

26 Wanetta Hosie August 3, 2012 at 7:39 am

I saw a lot of website but I think this one contains something special in it in it 177353

27 visit August 4, 2012 at 8:51 am

The leading source for trustworthy and timely health and medical news and data. 260983

28 recursos útiles August 12, 2012 at 12:11 pm

Dead composed subject matter, thanks for info . 326494

29 high traffic website hosting September 4, 2012 at 4:45 am

Great post. I previousally to spend alot of my time water skiing and watching sports. It was quite possible the very best sequence of my past and your content kind of reminded me of that period of my life. Cheers 912198

30 Google Authorship Explained September 6, 2012 at 7:31 pm

Aw, this was a truly nice post. In concept I would like to put in writing like this moreover – taking time and actual effort to make a extremely great article

31 http://www.kozyservices.com/ September 17, 2012 at 9:00 pm

Amaze! Thank you! I constantly wished to produce in my internet website a thing like that. Can I take element of the publish to my blog? 750523

32 dyck o neal September 19, 2012 at 3:38 am