Updated: ‘Q Magazine’ Scans: Albert Hammond Jr. Takes The Blame For Problems Within The Strokes

(Updated with full article)

What sells magazines and catches the interest of a publication’s regular subscribers, a group which does not particularly care about The Strokes?

Controversy, especially if the journalist can frame the story to make it seem as if The Strokes are on the verge of breaking up.

Keep that in mind as you read this story. This story wasn’t written for readers of this site. It was written to sell magazines and create buzz for Q Magazine at the expense of The Strokes and their fans.

(Interview via she’s fixing)

51 Ben April 28, 2011 at 8:29 pm

@Andy

If your talking about the Strokes’ management, obviously not, as they literally cut Julian off at the end when he was really getting nasty. I think the only people making any money off this are maybe the magazines. I don’t think its in the Strokes interest or their management to have all this dirty laundry out in the open. People don’t go out and buy records or go to shows because they hear the band members are fighting.

52 dave April 28, 2011 at 9:46 pm

“The depth of your friendship pulled you all through?”
‘……………………………..Okay.’

thats my favorite part of the interview. talk about awkward.

53 Chris April 28, 2011 at 9:58 pm

Wow. That is really awkward with Julian at the end there. I think there’s a lot of resentment with him doing his solo album and wanting to go a different direction musically.

54 Hanan April 28, 2011 at 9:59 pm

Jesus.
everyone goes on and on about Nick not doing any solo work and waiting around for the band…I never would have guessed he wanted to but couldn’t use the material they came up with collectively.
fuck. Julian is amazing. he is so gracious and he keeps his mouth shut. Albert is always so philosophical but Nick is getting on my nerves.
Julian will always be my favourite Stroke.

55 TLA April 28, 2011 at 10:48 pm

I agree with what many others have said, the article seems based on the way things were a couple of months ago, and the band seems to be connecting in their live performances and enjoying the success of Angles.

I do wonder, however, did The Strokes break Julian’s heart? It seems like the band was his first love ever, and he comes across a little heart broken by what happened. (or am I just too worried about what Julian loves?…so dumb).

56 Fab April 29, 2011 at 6:51 am

I really fucking hate nick. Oh man. I mean it’s hard to say poor julian when you consider that he dosen’t miss money, but the strokes would be NOTHING without JC. JC is the strokes. Fuck you nick

57 alan April 29, 2011 at 7:50 am

Julian Casablancas is the boss. The others are just ungratful assholes glad to have met him and been at the right place at the right time, back in 2001.

58 Rex April 29, 2011 at 8:40 am

Nick is coming across like a total d-bag. I agree with a lot of these comments being posted. He’s turning into a prima donna rock star. He needs to shut the f*ck up. And Nick should think about this: When he is up there on stage shredding on the guitar solos(which he admittedly does), he should remember who composed them. Yeah, you guessed it, Julian. I’m sorry, but Julian wrote two of the most amazing albums of all time. Does he not deserve some credit? Some level of control? I understand other member wanting to contribute creatively, but Julian is the mastermind. If it’s true that Nick wanted to out out a solo album based on material that he and Julian had written together, then he has totally mislead all of us throughout all of these interviews. He comes across as, “Hey, I’m the only one that didn’t put out a solo record. I waited. i’m all about this band and nothing else.” What an ass.

59 leo April 29, 2011 at 8:41 am

jews.

60 alan April 29, 2011 at 9:10 am

can’t trust them.

61 alx. April 29, 2011 at 9:56 am

Fuck it’s like with every interview that comes up the blame moves from one Stroke to the other, and you don’t know what to think.
You read what Nick or Nikolai have to say and it’s like…Julian is a fuckin douchebag.
You read what Julian has to say and it’s like…the other Strokes are mean and break his heart.
You read what Albert has to say and it’s like…fuck you, Albert and your stupid solo albums and drugs.
Only Fab moves gracefully through all this shit. Gotta love Fab.

62 Andy April 29, 2011 at 10:05 am

OMG, like so totally out of it here.

“Jews” … what the fuck is that about. WTF. WTF. WTF.

Man if this is how JEWS play music then I was just born fucking wrong. Make me a damn JEW. Where the fuck do I sign up. Please, make me a fucking JEW.

Man that’s the most fucked thing anyone in here has said. That’s more fucked than any damn thing the Strokes have said. Fuck.

63 napaloo April 29, 2011 at 10:26 am

relationships are hard. anyone who’s ever been in one for a long period of time recognizes that. to be able to last over 10yrs in a relationship w/5 people? that’s extraordinary! Julian may have a broken heart, but then again, and i’m sure he’s pretty good at being cruel himself. Nick may come off as a prick in this interview (BTW, Hitler was a prick, and not a jew. jewishness has nothing to do with such capability. just a thought for the bigots in the peanut gallery) but i’m sure they’ve all taken turns in true Rock Star fashion. fact is, the guys realized a long time ago that together they are much more than the mere sum of their parts.

such is art. the guys have come together as a group in a effort to reflect something LARGER than themselves. Jacob Dylan said in RS magazine that when he told his legendary father Bob he wanted to be a rock musician, Dylan looked at him very seriously, and responded: “don’t get confused then son, this isn’t the MUSIC business. if you’re doing it for REAL, if you’re doing it FOREVER, you’re DEDICATING your entire life to SHOW business.”

hence the title, ANGLES. this interview only helps to illustrate the thematic core of the endeavor. long live the different Strokes.

64 napaloo April 29, 2011 at 10:28 am

yeah, Andy. i’m w/you. they’re pretty fucking lame.

65 alan April 29, 2011 at 11:13 am

jesus Andy calm down it was a joke…

66 Andy April 29, 2011 at 11:21 am

You know The Strokes out to just shut the fuck up and write fucking music.

Everything that needs to be said can be said in their music.

And if you read this thread and maybe they do or maybe some idiot from their management company does maybe, finally, after ten fucking years and this fucking disasterous press of the last few months someone will give them some fucking talking points and they will fucking stick to them.

They’re not eighteen any more. And man, you are so on point, Napaloo, about everything, everything. Totally cool insight. Totally cool.

Yeah, this is a fucking business and these guys are not 18 any more, their are actually moving into their mid-thirties. They need to start acting like it and just shut the fuck up, and make music.

They need someone that can help them with this press shit because they are making a complete fucking mess of it.

They are in the BUSINESS of music. Whoa, Napaloo, so right, so right.

Get the personal shit out of it. Get a pro to handle the press and just shut the fuck up and write and play music.

67 Andy April 29, 2011 at 11:26 am

btw, that’s pretty funny “Jesus”

good

glad it was a joke

68 Joe April 29, 2011 at 4:27 pm

i feel that this is a timebomb waiting to go off. Personally, i find it utterly bizarre that certain strokes; not naming any names (NICK), seem to think that they can mouth off whoever they please and then go and have the moral indecency to try and steal songs written in Strokes writing sessions! julian may have had a few darker points and made some questionable decisions, but at least he isnt a backstabbing thief.
if i were julian, i’d fix my hair, pick up my leather jacket, adjust my sunglasses, and give my four ‘best pals’ the ol’ ‘f**k you b*tches!’ because lets be honest, is this it, room on fire, and phrazes for the young were 3 f**king brilliant pieces of work.

69 alan April 29, 2011 at 4:48 pm

Didn’t he also write First Impressions of Earth ? Or at least 99% of it ?

That dude is awesome. It’s hard enough to find a descent chord progression, but to come up with “that” kind of stuff… unbelievable.

70 AC April 29, 2011 at 6:53 pm

Yeah I never really understood how the other 4 strokes didn’t feel the at least a little guilty when they became rockstars and famous, cause it was mostly Julian’s doing, they pretty much just played their respective instruments and acted funny. Not saying they are bad people by any means, but they owe so much to Julian…and even if they do feel a little resentful for the music writing process not being collaborative they can’t complain because he made them rich and famous.
Or maybe they do feel bad but have never said anything about it…either way it’s pretty sad that their friendships have been deteriorating like this. I just want more good music dammit.

71 KK April 30, 2011 at 4:15 am

I agree completely with joe. And wow man.. They owe Julian everything. And well maybe Julian have sometimes been a little “i want it this way” but.. He made them rich and famouse. And for the last 3-4 years fans of the strokes have blamed julian the most. I don’t get that. I DON’T GET THAT. If it isn’t Julians way. It sucks. Like Angles. Only a couple good tracks. Besides jules I like albert and especially fab. Cuz i don’t think they do anything wrong. I mean they wanna be a team in the writing process. And Julian don’t mind if we shall believe the interviews, but NICK. Oh god.. Nick’s a bitch. He thinks that… well. Indeed they shouldn’t have named them The Strokes. But “Julian and strokes”.. It’s almost sad that other guys get so much honor for great albums cuz it’s more obviouse who’s writing the music.
LOOOOOOVE JULIAN CASABLANCAS

72 Joe April 30, 2011 at 7:20 am

ON A SECOND NOTE.
Who else believes that the recent guitar change nick has made is a stupid one? his SXSW performance of the modern age with the les paul forced me to vomit violently onto the keyboard.

73 alan April 30, 2011 at 7:53 am

damn right Joe, he needs to get his Riviera back, Les Paul’s are no good for The Strokes…

74 Joe May 2, 2011 at 4:05 pm

Thanks for agreeing ‘alan’!
Another, final niggle I’ve been having about angles is the lack of a furious, passionate, bluesy solo from Albert! Take it or leave it, under control, last night, and ize of the world are all songs that have inspired me on a musical basis. nick’s ability to descend the scales is quite frightening, but so is the intense passion Albert can generate from a stamp on the pedal and the next 16 bars of genius played out. His guitar playing definitely has a more melodic image on angles, but the only thing close to a solo he generates is towards the end of ‘you’re so right’. A sudden release from restraint goes a long way. And so does a fucking insane performance of take it or leave it. RESPECT FOR JULIAN. RIVIERA. ALBERT RIPPING IT UP. 3 simple things!

75 chase May 13, 2011 at 2:15 am

dude all these people talking shit about nick valensi? dude all the strokes are wonderfully talented and musically gifted julain might be a mastermind but is he even that great of a singer? yea he’s a great composer, but to discredit the other strokes and comparing them instead of being thankful to have them all in solo projects and coming back together. it’s like if the beatles wouldve gotten back together as they split or something it’s a big deal they are all respectivley great quit comparing them for no fucking reason

76 chase May 13, 2011 at 2:19 am

and musically first impressions and angles destroy is this it and room on fire so i really don’t understand how they could be seen as less than the previous ones when i think it clearly shows they play more notes the songs have more meaning and they’re using more instruments and backing vocals and basically alot more of their resources it’s exciting for the future anytime the stroke add to their music category it’s the shit

77 lksdlkfd June 10, 2011 at 1:34 pm

the whole thing about nick wanting to rip off the songs is false. or so i’ve heard from them, including julian i think.

78 zpro January 29, 2012 at 6:48 pm

personally, i think Nick’s comment are a bit more from the “mag” than himself don’t ya think? anyway hoping something good coming in 2012 !!

p/s totally agree with the Les paul thingy !! p94 FTW !

79 CC February 7, 2012 at 11:52 pm

I personally think you guys are just hating on Nick cause the magazine itself percieves Nick as a sort of..douche. Yes, he might be really selfish and ignorant but this IS a magazine..and 80% is most likely blown out of proportion. That’s why Jules always hated the press and Nick always said it was like reading a fictional novel on characters made up. Don’t always take seriously what is put into these magazines..I’m sure they made up and are good with each other now. They’re brothers..and they are The Strokes!

80 Annie 1251 March 16, 2012 at 12:00 pm

Wow – I am new to this whole Strokesnews forum – but I left a post over at the Angles V forum BEFORE I had a chance to read this horribly depressing article from Q magazine (4/11). I have been reading and researching the Strokes history myself – to try and get a handle on the dynamics of this fantastic band..and none of this depressing stuff is news to me. What I found out from interviews with managers, reporters, producers and the Strokes themselves was that Julian kept quiet for years – sharing royalties and working his ass off. Nick himself said “Julian eats, sleeps, breathes and shits music” – Jules worked until 4am in the studio long after everyone went home (for (ROF). He was always exhausted trying to get writing in while they were touring. The pressure was insane. Jules said a few years ago in an article “It wasn’t always fun – sometimes it was really, really hard”. BUT – hard for who? It really is no wonder the man drank like a fish. Most people would have totally cracked. He NEVER tooted his own horn – it was all for “the dudes” (as he called them) and the Band. A lot of peopleout there didn’t even know he played an instrument!! lol! I do know that Fab and Albert came to see him in one of his solo shows. At least they are his friends. I will admit tho’, I did feel like crying when I read the end of this sad article. My heart is hurting.

81 kore dizileri izle July 24, 2012 at 8:20 pm

I was searching for this website survive a few days good blog proprietor wonderful posts every little thing is amazing

82 Derek July 25, 2012 at 4:02 pm

i bookmarked you in my browser admin thank you a lot i might be trying to find your up coming posts

83 Google Latitude September 1, 2012 at 1:55 pm

Cheap Gucci Handbags Is usually blogengine much better than wp for reasons unknown? Should be which is turning out to be popluar today. 783529

84 my latest blog post September 17, 2012 at 10:25 am

I took a break to view your write-up. I discovered it extremely relaxing 626975

85 up on a hill :) November 9, 2012 at 8:28 pm

I don’t really blame any of the strokes for this – its was kind of inevitable… The fact is that they are 5 extremely talented, extremely creative and opinionated musicians, and when they’ve gone through what they experienced as a band, its hard not to get to a point where you either split up, take a break, or musically, go in a different direction.

The sad fact is that the music will never be as wonderful as it was in the early 00′s, during Is This It and Room on Fire, because at the time, they had that amazing thing that bands starting out have, when its just all about the music… they reached their peak between Room of Fire and First Impressions, and thats when the fame, the drugs and the alcohol really caught up with them, so it would have been unhealthy for them not to take a break – but everyone knew that they would never return as the same strokes that we all know and love. So if you really want to blame something – just blame the fucking media for ruining what they always said from the beginning was simply just about the music… or blame drugs :( screw you drugs!!!!

But anyways… as they say – all good things (and the strokes are a pretty fucking good thing) must come to an end. And now i’ll just wallow in self-pity, listening to Is This It and Room on Fire on constant repeat, and re-watching old strokes interviews and live performances. Fml.

But seriously, just remember them as these incredibly talented, unique, hilarious :’), people in an amazing band that literally is the best, most influential and mind-blowing band of our generation, and just enjoy them for what they are – or were – without all the shit inbetween.

86 April chip chili-O's June 4, 2013 at 1:33 pm

Come on guys, I mean I love julian but saying he is the strokes or saying the band is nothing withought him is kinda stretching it, don’t u think? Plus interviews are interviews, honestly we don’t know what goes throug, behind the scenes, the before math, or their lives. Shit happens. At least AT LEAST, keep note, at least fab isn’t like axel rose. NOW THAT’S A DOSCHE BAG…