Scans: NME writes about a possible second Julian Casablancas solo record

First, the scan of the article about a possible follow up to Phrazes in NME’s current issue. Then, my thoughts.

(link via Akshara, scan via Abigail)

There are a couple things to consider after reading this article. First, it’s pretty normal for musicians to get together and work on material. Just because Julian and Danielle have worked together since the end of the Phrazes tour doesn’t mean a new record is in the works. I mean, didn’t Julian and Rivers Cuomo work together? Where is that song?

Second, Rough Trade denied the rumor. It’s a two-source story. The main source, Danielle, says “maybe they were just for fun” and contradicts the first quote she said about him making a new record. Then, the second source completely denies a second solo album is in the works.

Lastly, NME sells more magazines by trying to sensationalize a studio session between two Danielle and Julian than they would writing about Haim, which is actually what this article is about if you’ll notice the graphic on the bottom.

Maybe Julian will do another solo album soon, but I don’t think this article proves anything.

251 Tannk June 10, 2012 at 1:36 am

2$ BILL By far!

252 Annie 1251 June 10, 2012 at 5:18 am

HEY! Got back from NYC last night – loved EVERY single minute of being there -it’s so crazy awesome, I can’t wait to go back!
BUT NO STROKES SIGHTINGS! :( I did see a guy in Times Square that looked so much like Albert – he was practically on top of me before I thought – ok, not him!

We walked everywhere – we went right to the Mercury Lounge first (hard to find – Houston street is so long!) they weren’t open yet but I talked with a guy waiting for tickets and got a picture, and I got a picture of a Ludlow Street sign (I was SO Tourist-ee!).

Later we made our way to WIZ KIDS. I really had high hopes (I KNOW I shouldn’t have – but I am such a glass half full person!) – but no Strokes guys. – but it was still just so exciting to BE there – (in our guy’s area). I guess I’m just such a pathetic fan – I was just so thrilled to see it and take a picture!

I Loved Washington square park (the one with the arch), and yesterday morning we walked all around the East Village/University place area. That area has cool old homes with great architecture (I love old buildings) and I was thinking – Julian could walk around THIS corner at any minute!! I was totally nerved out – really! I had to get myself together.

Greenwich Village was also cool – every part of the city had a slightly different “feel” to it.
In mid-town, I couldn’t believe there were SO many taxis!! It was like a taxi army!

Our bartender at Hard Rock (who has his own local band) – said although yes, he is a Strokes fan
(I had my black Strokes t-shirt on – of course!) –
but that his guitar player is OBSESSED with the Strokes :) Says he drives him nuts about the Strokes, lol!
I am always glad to find more people out in the world like us here in our “club”!

@Choco -
My friends says he can help me put these couple picture on the forum – I am so lame – I am not good at that kind of thing! Hopefully later today.

253 Annie 1251 June 10, 2012 at 5:25 am

@Leaving Just in Time
Yesterday morning – we went to Bagel Bob’s – to get a (much needed) coffee, and well – a bagel. I know that is across the street from where you met Julian. I almost had a heart attack every single time a guy walked by w/a dog – lol!!
But, although there was lot of good looking guys walking around the city, I have to say – not one time did I ever mistake anyone for our Julian. I guess he is just too unique looking.

I do want to thank you for all your directions and suggestions -I am so glad you did that for me!! All those cool places and “possible Strokes sighting locations” just really added to all the other excitement of NYC itself.
*Also – we went to Strand’s bookstore and I did buy Sam’s book!! It is a cool book and the Strand is so huge and amazing – I could have spent all day in there (I love books!)

@LJIT & @Tannk
I want to tell you that your fellow New Yorkers were so friendly and great. I don’t know why New Yorkers get a bad rap for being rude. Everyone I talked to and/or asked directions were so nice!

@John
You’re playing bball at Columbia?!! That’s awesome! And now – it’s your turn – if you see any Strokes guys- ask them what is going on!!

And- how could I have forgotten “Modern Girls” – with that line “So fucking help me up!”
And I had JUST mentioned that song – what an airhead, lol!

@Brian W.
I don’t know of any other songs by Julian and Regina. But if anyone can find a demo – it will be LillySu! She’s like a Strokes detective! :)

254 Annie 1251 June 10, 2012 at 5:52 am

@LillySu
You and I are so similarly “Strokes minded”! I also am torn between Summersonic 2003 (NYC Cops!!) and the Eurokeennes 2006 concert. I might have to go with the 2006 Eurokeennes just a little more. I just think the feel of those shows were so great. But, then again, TIoLI at Summersonic is mind blowing.
Dillon had mentioned the 2006 Jools Holland shows – they were also so good!

I absolutely loved your Cochella “Under Control” version. That song makes me think of what a great voice Julian has.
“I wish that I could sound as soothing as a rainfall, but I am only a drop from the storm.”
I think it’s more like the rainfall – don’t you?

Here’s Last Nite from Jools Holland – a great, fun performance!
I love Julian’s hair, Nick’s (pink?) chucks, and albert rocking that solo!

What do you think?

255 Annie 1251 June 10, 2012 at 7:29 am

@Choco
I forgot about the $2 Bill one where Julian is stepping on everyone in the audience, and trying to take the camera, LOL! I loved that performance!
That is totally up there with my favorites – and yes – agreed – I loved how everybody was dressed there.

How was Graduation? Fun?

256 Annie 1251 June 10, 2012 at 7:45 am

One more thing!! Promise!

Julian’s latest Tweet:
Julian Casablancas ‏@Casablancas_J
P R O M E T H E U S I M A X. (do it now)

A Fan’s Tweet back:
ann ‏@brethrenz
@Casablancas_J N E W A L B U M. (do it now)

LOL!

257 LillySu June 10, 2012 at 7:59 am

@Annie 1251
I’m so glad you had such a good time in NYC. Pity you haven’t stumbled across any of our guys, but it would be almost a miracle. Anyway, glad we have you back here in our little club.

And about favourite concert… It was sooooo hard to choose just one. In every singl performance there are some perfect moments. If nothing else, Julians screws up the lyrics, and than he is so charming in trying to redeem himself. :) So, I really love that KROQ Weenie Roast from 2004 with chubby Julian pleading “please please give me back my necklace”, MSG 2011 is fantastic, $2bill of course, than MTV live from 2005 (Storytellers), MSG 2003 with Regina as guest, Coachella 2011 in which I fell in love these days ,… and I could go on and on all day.

That Last Nite from Jools Holland is beautiful. Everyone in that studio was looking at them as they were gods. The Strokes in their prime.

Just one thing. I didn’t found that other demo Strokes, but I found something else very interesting. This is Regina’s song about Julian and it is called Poor Little Rich Boy. In comments someone said that she admitted in some live show that it was for him.
Oh, and as she is singing it incrediby fast, here are the lyrics:

258 LillySu June 10, 2012 at 8:07 am

@Annie 1251
I saw that Julians Tweet and that order: “N E W A L B U M. (do it now)” . Haha, I thought maybe it was you. :D

259 LillySu June 10, 2012 at 10:27 am

Ups, I mistakenly ate part of the sentence in #257, in last paragraph. I was speaking about that other demo Strokes perhaps recorded with Regina Spektor. Sorry!

260 Annie 1251 June 10, 2012 at 4:10 pm

@LillySu
I forgot about that 2005 MTV Storytellers concert! That’s the one with the jacket I love. (I’m starting to sound like you and Choco now, lol!)
That is a great concert!
Do you think Julian seems sober here? I think he does – yet I thought he didn’t quit drinking until 2006-
The End has no End:
And look at the exchange between Julian and Albert @ 3:04 – I wonder what Jules said to him? Albert’s face got so serious!

No prob- I knew which demo you were talking about!
Now – about that song Regina wrote – if the person in the comments was telling the truth – and Regina DID write it about Julian, then Dillon’s friends’ story is most likely true, and the one I heard is NOT. :(
And, I do think the song sounds like it is supposed to be about Julian (thanks for including the lyrics, btw!).

Especially the first paragraph – here’s why:
This is from that 2003 interview w/Neil Strauss:
“Once upon a time, most of the Strokes lived together. But, one by one, they have moved apart or disappeared into girlfriend land. Casablancas is the only single member left.”

But – I don’t know why Regina would say “he doesn’t love his Mother” (?) Because Julian ALWAYS says such good things about his Mom – from early interviews to present day. He talks how it was just “me and my Mom”. and he named his dog Balki after a character on Perfect Strangers – a show he says he watched with his Mom.

I guess that 2003/2004 time was really crazy for Julian – he sure was fighting his inner demons! That’s why I am amazed that Juliet could just get into his life and help him straighten his butt out!

Have you ever seen this picture? Based on how he looks – it seems to be around the time that he was going sober..and in alot of pain….and it really looks like she was his “rock”:

and in that picture his face has that same pale, pinched look as it does here, when he was talking about taking the break:

Well, I’m just so glad (as we all are!) that together they got him on the right road!

261 Annie 1251 June 10, 2012 at 4:52 pm

Continuing on with this “Julian theme”
just scroll down a bit to: Julian “entire life” in GIF’s

I especially like the “Making Friends” one, and “Pickin’ up the ladiez” – those eyebrows, lol!

262 Choco June 10, 2012 at 5:14 pm

@Annie
LOL! Those tumblr pics made me laugh!

263 Choco June 10, 2012 at 5:35 pm

Here’s Julian’s driver’s license lol. He looks so different! I wonder what year this was taken and what he was thinking when he put on that creepy looking turtle neck sweater. His signature looks cool.

264 LillySu June 10, 2012 at 10:03 pm

@Annie 1251
I love that secon photo from “drunken years”! :)

265 LillySu June 12, 2012 at 4:05 am
266 Annie 1251 June 12, 2012 at 4:21 am

LillySu:
I swear to God – I was just posting that EXACT picture this minute!!! Just to prove it:

OMG! We DO think alike, lol!

But what’s up with that picture?

267 Annie 1251 June 12, 2012 at 4:23 am

And this Tweet was posted 5 hours ago -

Isabella ‏@iB3lla
Oh my god, is it true? Julian Casablancas is in LA or Burbank! I must search for him.

268 Annie 1251 June 12, 2012 at 4:38 am

Yup, I Googled it – Chili John’s is in Burbank, CA.

269 LillySu June 12, 2012 at 4:47 am

@Annie 1251
Haha, it’s not the first time we’re synchronized! :)
And that sentence… “Just two men enjoying a good bowl of chili… @Casablancas_J & Josh Hommes”
But both bowls are in front of our Julian. He will end as sumo wrestler.
Is that pic new? Is that map saying he’s in LA?

270 Annie 1251 June 12, 2012 at 4:53 am

@LillySu
Yes – I’ve been checking all over – and it does seem like the picture is new, and it’s definitely in LA.

Listen – if he’s leaving the Strokes behind :( ……I at least would like him to do his OWN solo stuff. He doesn’t need to do all this collaboration! Right?
I mean, if we can’t have Strokes songs or tours – then I’d like to have song Julian songs..and tours…not Queens of the Stone Age type stuff. Just sayin’.

271 Annie 1251 June 12, 2012 at 4:57 am

And lol about the sumo wrestler!
All that man has to do to look like one of the most attractive people to ever walk the planet is to STOP EATING so much – why is that so hard?
I guess I’m just mad at him right now for not giving fans any info and meeting with Josh Hommes (instead of recording stuff here in NY)

272 LillySu June 12, 2012 at 5:06 am

@Annie
I agree. And I hope he will not just produce someone else.

One more thing. We were talking about that Strokes-Regina collaboration. Here’s little something…

273 Annie 1251 June 12, 2012 at 5:20 am

@LillySu
Wow- that must be where Dillon and Brian mentioned they were recording! I wonder whose dog that was?

I wanted to tell you this – and your picture just reminded me!
I had a real long drive yesterday, and I was playing ROF (from start to end). I think some of those songs were written about Regina!!
You know I love to analyze lyrics, and I always wondered who Julian was writing about during ROF.
Give that whole CD a listen to – next time you have 1/2 hour -and let me know what you think.

Especially Between Love & Hate (excluding the high school dance part)…”I never needed anybody, never needed nobody…”
And DEFINITELY Under Control.

And how about – “He want it easy, he want it relaxed , three steps forward and two steps back, it won’t be easy” from The End has no End”

I am HOPING Reptilia is NOT about her – but based on what Dillon said about their “fiery relationship”, – I’m not so sure.

274 LillySu June 12, 2012 at 5:24 am

@Annie 1251
It doesn’t necessarily mean that Strokes V sessions are off. This is perhaps only a day trip. I want to be positive. :)

275 Annie 1251 June 12, 2012 at 5:57 am

@LillySu
I hope you’re right! Tho I do think something you said a while back was really true – that he’s wasting precious time. I feel like this:
If the Strokes ARE going to record and tour – NOW is the time for them to keep their name out there. They interested some new fans with UCoD – and are keeping their most loyal fans holding on – hoping for something better than Angles and maybe a real tour. But they don’t have much longer to keep fooling around like this.

And, we’ve established that Julian’s solo tour was mishandled – and he could easily fix those problems if he wanted -but it still got his name out there and (surprisingly) most of the critics actually liked Phrazes (I read so many good reviews). So, if he is going to get out there and be a solo guy – he should just freaking do it – and do it RIGHT this time! Don’t be all Mr. Humble!! He should put himself out there like all the (not-as-talented) other singer/songwriter/performers.

What I have been thinking lately, tho – is what Modern Age said. Julian is an ARTIST. Really – in every way possible.
He doesn’t seem to care that he could be Mr. Rock God solo guy and he sure seems oblivious that half of the world’s population (female and male) find him incredibly hot -
most musicians/actors/celebrities would totally run wild with his looks and talent -
he seems not to know (or care) at all at how it usually “works”.

In 2001, he said “It’s all about the music. I just want people to listen to the songs”.
I think he still feels that way. And that’s cool…because that is so HIM.
But I just wish he would AT LEAST pump out all those great ideas in his head – put them out there for us to listen to!

BTW: I am now in the “Frustration Phaze” of the loop – in case you can’t tell, LOL!

276 the modern age June 12, 2012 at 7:04 am

@Annie, post #275… I agree completely. But couldn’t he just be hanging out with his friend at the chili place? I think ppl might be reading too much into it. Has anyone else noticed that he looks miserable in all his pictures lately? Although maybe I’M reading too much into that. He’s always looked miserable and annoyed in pictures and interviews, which is kind of cute, I think.

I’m really mad too. I know they’re under pressure and everything, but I have a feeling that there’s some problem and it’s taking longer than they planned (but what do I know anyway?) That’s always the case with them though so why should I think any differently? The sooner they figure this shit out the sooner we can get some new music from the most interesting and fantastic modern day artist. Please PLEASE Julian, give us something. I’m begging (how pathetic of me :( ) I just want to slap him across the face and tell him to wake up!

277 the modern age June 12, 2012 at 7:17 am

And I don’t care about his weight- he’s still hot IMO. I do not like his hair though- please grow the sides out again and smile for us once in a while. And lose the shades so we can see your beautiful expressive eyes.

Annie mentioned men thinking Julian is hot. Yes, and I like that. My husband is not one of those men- I don’t know what’s wrong with him LOL :) he is a HUGE Strokes fan though and that is obvioulsy extremely important, hahaha.

278 LillySu June 12, 2012 at 9:08 am

Girls, I don’t have to write here anymore. Just when I wanted to say I’m in frustrating phaze, Annie told the same. Just when I wanted to start begging Julian to give us anything new, TMA said that. :) And about my husband, he started to listen Strokes music a lot lately. :D

Sadly, but I think TMA is right about Julian looking miserably in newest photos, and drowning his misery in food. But, maybe it’s only looking like that to us – outside viewers. Maybe conversation behind this latest picture is something like this…

Hommes: But Jules, you promissed me that song for our new album.
Julian: Sorry Josh, Nick & Albie fucking fell in love with that guitar solo and forbidden me to give that shit to anyone. Thay say it’s mind-blowing and must be on Stroko V.
Hommes: But Jules, I even gave you my chili…
Julian: I’m so embarrassed, man, that I have to hid behind these shades. And sorry for chili, it was really dilicious, mmmm.

279 the modern age June 12, 2012 at 9:53 am

@LillySu, :) And you’re right, it’s funny how like-minded all of us are. Glad our husbands are listening to good music too!

280 Choco June 12, 2012 at 2:22 pm

WAIT. Julian is in Cali right now?! That’s where I am !!! I live nearby LA as well, does anyone know what part of LA he’s in?

281 about marilyn monroe July 22, 2012 at 4:35 pm

My passion for everything about Marilyn Monroe

Yes, a lot of things have been written about Marilyn Monroe.
She is unquestionably an American legend and the idol
of millions of fellows around the globe. I am a giant fan of Marilyn, too.
She was the most beautiful and sexy woman who lived on the
Earth. She had so delightful smile, and she was so sweet and attractive.

She was a symbol for many American girls which have been inspired so much by her.
Marilyn Monroehad some extraordinary capability to make delightful influence to anyone she met
in her life. Everybody was so fascinated by her when
she appeared anywhere. She got a lot of attention from her fans
and lovers of her movies. She was the real head turner.
A lot of men were so unhappy that they can’t marry.
There was only one man who was happy enough to gain her heart – President John.
F. Kennedy. Marilyn had tremendous influence on him, indeed,
and their relationship got truly magnificent dimension.

They enjoyed each other so much every day and every second of their
life

Marilyn starred in so many movies and a lot of beautiful songs have been
devoted to her. I am a collector of everything which is related
with Marilyn. I was interested in some truly delightful porcelain figurine of Marilyn.
I was searching over the Net pretty long time, and I found a lot of things about Marilyn Monroe.
Finally, I found the company named WEXONMART Inc., which sells truly terrific porcelain figurine of Marilyn.
So I purchased this figurine immediately. This terrific figurine says a
lot about Marilyn Monroe. She will stay in our hearts forever.

Craig Langridge

Santa Barbara, CA

282 kore dizileri izle July 24, 2012 at 7:21 pm

oh my god amazing put up admin will examine your webpage constantly

283 Tory July 25, 2012 at 5:22 pm

oh my god terrific post admin will verify your blog site always

284 ativan July 31, 2012 at 10:31 am

I conceive this internet internet site contains some rattling amazing information for every person : D. 446568