Pictures of Julian Casablancas and his new band have surfaced

Julian Casablancas and his new band — it’s still unclear if they’re called Voidz, if Voidz is the title of the new album, or how Voidz is involved in Julian’s new music — took part in a photo shoot recently, and photos from that shoot hit the web today.

We all recognize Jules. Do you recognize any of the other guys?

1 A Minor 4-4 December 7, 2013 at 8:47 pm

I don’t recognize any of these guys.

Granted, it’s exciting to see what Jules comes up with, I felt a little sad seeing these pictures =/

2 V December 7, 2013 at 8:47 pm

jeff kite and alex carapetis once again

3 Tannk December 7, 2013 at 9:26 pm

I don’t think the band is called voidz I think it’s the album.. None the less I am
very excited to hear it!

4 Tannk December 7, 2013 at 9:39 pm

Does anyone know where these pics originated from?

5 the modern age December 7, 2013 at 10:00 pm

@Tannk, someone on twitter said they were taken in LA earlier today.

I like that he’s keeping the tie around his knee, always something unique. No Danielle :( but Haim is really busy so I wasn’t expecting her. I’m sure these guys will be really good, and yeah I see Jeff and Alex. I liked Julian’s band last time around.

6 Semone December 7, 2013 at 10:00 pm

@A Minor 4-4 I feel the exact same way! I’m hoping Voidz is an ep and the band gets back together

7 Annie 1251 December 7, 2013 at 10:06 pm

@Taank
A girl named Mia took them (supposedly today in LA) and they got put on Twitter

**She took them down right after they went up – not sure why!

8 the modern age December 7, 2013 at 10:08 pm

Guys, Cheer up, the band is together. Albert wouldn’t lie. They’re just expanding on everything else they can do right now.

9 Paola December 7, 2013 at 10:08 pm

I actually think I can see Alex Carapetis

10 Annie 1251 December 7, 2013 at 10:13 pm

okay that link didn’t work – try this one: https://twitter.com/V0IDZ/status/409490973937639424/photo/1

11 Annie 1251 December 7, 2013 at 10:21 pm

MA is right – look what Albert tweeted just today:

Albert Hammond, Jr. ‏@alberthammondjr · 5h
“@MuyChoco: @alberthammondjr like the fact that u dont play stroke songs/ love u Albert”

Were still a band not the right time to play’em

12 Lynn Wiberg December 7, 2013 at 11:03 pm

This looks like an 80s Thrash Metal band. And that rules.

13 Bobby December 8, 2013 at 1:28 am

Guy in the upper right is cracking me up. Voidz is an awesome name, but I keep thinking of avoid the noid from Domino’s when I see it.

14 LillySu December 8, 2013 at 2:23 am

@Bobby
Ha ha, that guy reminds me of this dude from Wedding Singer movie.
Proper 80-ish haircut!

15 Mike December 8, 2013 at 2:13 pm

This its like seeing your girlfriend with another guy. Regardless can’t wait for more music from Julian.

16 wolfman December 8, 2013 at 4:57 pm

is voidz what the gif on jules’s site says? http://juliancasablancas.com/

17 Bobby December 8, 2013 at 5:20 pm

@LillySu, I actually thought the same thing, looks just like him in that photo, pretty damn funny.

18 Mofo December 8, 2013 at 8:44 pm

How tall is the guy on the far left??? He’s way bigger than Julian.

19 FrenchConnection December 9, 2013 at 4:47 am

They look like RAMONES

2013′s Ramones

20 ITAO December 9, 2013 at 7:21 am

@Mike
That’s exactly what I thought.

Now that these pictures showed up, I’m starting to doubt a return from TS anytime soon, but nevertheless, their solo projects ain’t bad either. Come to think of it, all of the members there look like Julian wannabes. haha

21 whatthefuckwhasthat December 9, 2013 at 11:32 am

Itao, you obviously havent seen the ramones, the clash or any true punk rock band.

22 Daniel December 9, 2013 at 4:52 pm

Is it me or does the gif on juliancasablancas.com look a lot more like JULZ than Voidz.

23 Dink December 9, 2013 at 9:12 pm

I totally agree with you. And because I’m bored I even outlined a frame of the .gif with that in mind:

24 R Guy December 9, 2013 at 10:46 pm

It’s definitely Voidz…

25 Phantasm December 10, 2013 at 3:17 am

actually the moustache guy is none other than Beardo himself
The Voidz. An 80s band that never was led by a time-travelling composer.Exited

26 Annie 1251 December 10, 2013 at 5:13 am

@Phantasm
“An 80s band that never was led by a time-traveling composer”

I love that! :)

27 muthastone December 10, 2013 at 5:38 am

where does it mention that “time-traveling” comment?

28 the modern age December 10, 2013 at 7:06 am

@Phantasm, love that wording!

29 Melodica03 December 10, 2013 at 8:40 am

Wouldn’t it be interesting if Julian decided to conquer all music genres. With each album he releases it takes on a new genre. If Phantasm is right, and that is Beardo then maybe this band is an 80s punk band. Maybe Julian enjoyed writing 50/50 so much that he decided to make an entire album in that voice.

Could be interesting.

Then again, that’s a lot of band members for a punk band.

30 LillySu December 10, 2013 at 11:23 am

Guys, don’t forget that at the concerts they’ll have to play Phrazes songs too. At least, I hope they would.

@Phantasm
Thanx for the link. I would say that’s the guy. I kind of like him.

31 FrenchConnection December 10, 2013 at 11:50 am

@Melodica03 : possible

Julian is a surprising guy

personnally I would say (by seeing photos) : synthpunk. A band of synthpunk

as Suicide, Spacemen 3, Ramones, Devo …

maybe it’s a project more SPONTANEOUS

32 the modern age December 10, 2013 at 12:30 pm

It’s going to be like nothing we expect.

33 squirrel December 10, 2013 at 2:03 pm

@FrenchConnection

YES re: synthpunk / no wave and Suicide-inspired music! Would *love* that. I can totally see Julian being into that type of sound, especially since it’s so connected to the NYC music scene & its history. And it would be kind of a natural progression from his 1st album, only towards a heavier / somewhat weirder sound…
Oh, I’m excited now! And all this made me want to listen to ‘No New York’ again. :)

34 JD December 10, 2013 at 3:44 pm

The website logo even reminds me of the Space Jam movie logo, maybe the word was true.

Maybe this music will sound more like that “New Song” only played live during the Phrazes tour. That’s more like.. “synthpunk”, as mentioned.

35 Annie 1251 December 10, 2013 at 8:38 pm

@muthastone

Phantasm’s quip was perfect because it reminded me of two great quotes from Julian himself-
He said he wanted Is This It to sound like “a band from the past that took a time trip into the future to make their record.”

and also:
“I never had the rock star dream. I thought it would be cool to be a modern-day composer.”

36 Annie 1251 December 11, 2013 at 5:05 am

@JD

This song? I LOVE this song – another song that Julian should have recorded imo. He wrote it with Alex while on tour and said it was something they “threw together”. I just love the energy of it!

btw: Not sure if Julian actually named it “Hearts Go Low” or if fans did.

@French Connection & Modern Age
Synthpunk + Julian’s brain = Very Interesting.
Also I agree that it most likely will be nothing like we are expecting!
He’s always full of surprises.

37 Annie 1251 December 11, 2013 at 5:32 am

@LillySu

Your comment about the Phrazes songs made me wonder – although Jeff and Alex appear to be in this new band-there’s obvsly no Danielle and the others. Will they play songs like RoB?

This is one of Julian’ s absolute best performances ever and the Sick Six were so tight it was ridiculous:

38 Noir December 11, 2013 at 9:29 am

Guys, Albert tweeted that there’s “no news” about The Strokes. He’s making a new EP and will tour solo till at least fall. This means no Strokes touring in 2014, probably :(

39 Cameo December 13, 2013 at 9:45 pm

The second I saw the gif on Julian’s page I immediately thought it looked like “Julz”. Voidz didn’t even cross my mind, although that would be a cool title. First of all, what appears to be the second letter is curved at the bottom, flat on top. How is that an “O” and not an “U”? Secondly, how does a “D” fit anywhere in there? It’ probably neither haha. We’ll know soon enough I guess.

40 M December 20, 2013 at 5:10 am

@cameo it could a “d”

41 StonedRobot February 21, 2014 at 11:53 pm

I believe it does say “JULEZ”…

Their is a Voids punk band…

why would Julian fuck another band over by naming it almost the same thing…

42 Fran February 22, 2014 at 2:41 am

Where’s Bloom?!?? Mike Bloom – The sickest of the six.! whatz up?!

43 Danny March 31, 2014 at 4:47 pm

Guy standing on the ledge is Beardo.

44 priya dubey July 22, 2014 at 6:42 pm

New band i am exited.But what about strokers?