Nick Valensi Breaks His Leg

/via nick’s wife.

I wonder what type of medical insurance a badass guitarist like Nick has. Health insurance definitely isn’t rock and roll. Moreover, the copious drug overdoses by musicians of previous generations must really drive up the premium. I bet he paid for this out of pocket.

1 Brian Wallace October 13, 2011 at 7:40 am

Remember when Julian broke his leg around 2002? “Wrestling?” It must be a thing with this band. Weak legs. I’ll bet the Stones never had to use crutches!

Brian

2 tyler October 13, 2011 at 8:11 am

Broke it doing what? Probably fell over playing. Hopefully he will realize those Gibsons are to heavy for him, and he will go back to his epiphone.

3 Andrew October 13, 2011 at 8:31 am

He looks like such a badass in this pic!!

4 the modern age October 13, 2011 at 9:14 am

“Nick Valensi Breaks His Leg” could be the title of an Always Sunny episode.

5 giovana October 13, 2011 at 10:15 am

what’s going to happend with the concert this saturday? on mexico?

6 shadey October 13, 2011 at 11:20 am

The most bad-ass picture I’ve ever seen of somebody with a broken leg..

7 Adele October 13, 2011 at 11:35 am

I miss that Epiphone too. I may have actually shed a tear when Nick tried to drown it in the video of You Only Live Once.

8 Julie October 13, 2011 at 12:16 pm

He could play sitting down but he always holds his guitar so low… I would imagine that would make it difficult for him to play as well as he usually does.

9 JOSH October 13, 2011 at 12:42 pm

he prob got drunk and fell over haaahaaa

10 Hanan October 13, 2011 at 1:06 pm

hahaha oh Eric. if only I had a dime for every ridiculous thought that went through your head. Nick breaks his leg and your mind goes to insurance premiums?

11 dave October 13, 2011 at 3:13 pm

i second what shadey said.

also on a sidenote, is it sad or cool that i can tell what song the strokes are about to play in almost every youtube video without reading the title, just by recognizing the video angle and background? how many strokes videos are TOO many strokes videos to watch on repeat?

either way, modern girls and old-fashion men RULES

12 dave October 13, 2011 at 3:17 pm

i mean the angle/background of the still screen shot

13 heather October 13, 2011 at 4:22 pm

Oh no. That sucks! Poor Nick. Wonder what happened. :/

14 the modern age October 13, 2011 at 5:23 pm

@dave, There are never too many Strokes videos to watch on repeat. I’m right there with you on that one :)

15 juanc October 13, 2011 at 6:10 pm

oh c’mon people, just stick to the topic, is not that hard…
Lately the quality of the comments on this web is similar to a tumblr of a 13 years old fangirl. That wasn,t the spirit of this page before, no it wasn’t

Anyway.. does anyone know the exact injury Nick has?

16 Lynn Wiberg October 13, 2011 at 6:32 pm

It’s really weird to see his legs. Shorts just are Strokes’ style.

17 jeommp October 13, 2011 at 6:49 pm

@Lynn- that is really weird. Julian wore sandals for a little while back in the day. It was weird to see his toes.

@juanc – not sure but it’ll probably come out soon

18 the modern age October 14, 2011 at 6:38 am

It looks like the show this weekend will go as planned. Récord’s website posted an article and referenced this site too! Eric, you are famous.

Here is Microsoft Word’s translation from Spanish to English. I make no claim to know Spanish this well, but I did my best to make sure it’s clear….

“The wife of Nick Valensi shared on the internet a picture of the musician after the accident Nick Valensi, guitarist of The Strokes, broke a leg, as it expressed on the thestrokesnews.com page, with a photo taken by the wife of the musician.

Although they have not given details about the incident, it is known that the band has already practiced with guitarist in a comfortable chair, and that the Organizing Committee of Crown Capital ensures that the incident does not alter in any way the presentation of The Strokes in the festival this Saturday in Mexico City.

The New Yorkers visiting Mexico are to reach Monterrey, on Friday, October 14, an event that will be not changed.”

19 C October 14, 2011 at 7:32 am

Haha, the comfy chair? What about the soft cushions?!

Will there be a stream of either show this weekend? Cuz this I gotta see.

20 Brian Wallace October 14, 2011 at 9:53 am

The Strokes have 4 of the 150 best tracks of the last 15 years, according to NME. I think only Radiohead has more songs on the list.

Anyhow, for “Last Nite” (No. 4) there’s this quote:

Nikolai Fraiture: “I do remember we had an alternate take, which I think is on a single, where Julian sings about Albert. The geeks can go digging that up somewhere in the archives.”

Is he talking about the version on “The Modern Age” ep? The demo?

Brian

21 Julie A October 14, 2011 at 11:50 am

Haha. I always love your commentary Eric. Where do you even come up with this stuff? ;p
about the pic though, I ‘d have to say that never before has a wheelchair and crutches looked so bad-ass!

22 Sarah October 15, 2011 at 2:16 am
23 KEVIN SOUTH October 15, 2011 at 6:08 am

@Brian Wallace – I sure as hell do remember when Julian broke his leg while wrestling. I was so mad because I had tickets to the upcoming Weezer/The Strokes show in Atlanta! The Strokes cancelled but Weezer was still awesome. I still have the the ticket stub that lists The Strokes as the opener. Pretty cool to have a ticket to a Strokes show that never happened. Well, it’s cool now, it sure wasn’t cool at the time…

24 Julie October 15, 2011 at 7:34 am

@Kevin South, Omg that’s awful!! I would have been so upset too. It’s cool you still have the ticket stub. The Strokes as openers- that’s funny. That sure was a long time ago!

25 heather October 15, 2011 at 2:10 pm
26 Darth Vader October 16, 2011 at 2:03 pm

Have the Strokes performed “Ize of the World” at all during this current tour? I feel like they haven’t which is such a disappointment. They don’t play it enough.

27 juanc October 16, 2011 at 2:14 pm

Eric, i dont have tw, but i think this TIOLI vid is worth to be posted..

28 juanc October 16, 2011 at 2:19 pm

This is a nice vid also. Someday..

29 juanc October 16, 2011 at 2:28 pm

According to the videos i’m watching at this time, the strokes @ corona festival is clearly one the best performances of the guys this year. And i’m very picky about the strokes (and espcially julian) live acts.

30 Dillon October 16, 2011 at 2:36 pm

cool the strokes busted out Heart In A Cage and 12:51 in mexico. No taken for a fool though which is interesting not playing a single from their new album

31 SharonGuitar500 October 16, 2011 at 5:06 pm

*Sunken in the deep abyss of depression* I wasn’t able to go to the concert this Saturday T_T It sounds like it was awesome. Heart in a Cage? That’s my favorite song! Ugh. Better luck next time, I guess.

Anyway, poor Nick, but he’s still about 100000000000000 times cooler than anyone else I know, who else can rock like that with a broken leg?

32 heather October 16, 2011 at 6:02 pm

Julian? Lol, just kidding Sharon. :) Anyway,sorry you missed the show. They should really play Mexico more often. They seem to have a huge fan base there. Nikolai posted on his twitter that the Strokes’ last show was for 84,000 people. That is so amazing. I wonder how they feel to be able to play for that many people 10 years after their first album.Their audiences just keep getting bigger and bigger.

33 the modern age October 16, 2011 at 7:20 pm

@Brian Wallace, Nice that we’re the geeks, huh? :) It’s not the ep version Nikolai’s talking about, but I would like to hear Julian sing about Albert lol. Those two have a major bromance. I read somewhere there’s a version where he sings lyrics to Tom Petty’s American Girl. I haven’t been able to find that one though.

@Darth Vadar, I agree! Ize is such a great song. Have they played Heart in a Cage anywhere else this year? They avoid most of the songs from FIOE like the plague, it seems.

@heather, 84,000 people is crazy! I hope they keep those numbers in mind so they keep touring next year. I haven’t been able to see them at all since they’ve been back and I need a US tour! Please play a few times on the east coast!

34 the modern age October 16, 2011 at 7:25 pm

I saw a post on another site about a fan who met TS in the airport this weekend and Julian traded iPhone covers with him. I am so jealous. Like my iPhone cover? Yeah, Julian Casablancas gave it to me. Wtf! :)

35 kore dizileri izle July 24, 2012 at 8:18 am

I wanted for this blog site publish admin seriously thanks i will search your future sharings i bookmarked your blog

36 Daysi July 25, 2012 at 4:59 pm

Greetings thanks for fantastic submit i was browsing for this issue last two days. I’ll search for following precious posts. Have pleasurable admin.

37 site July 30, 2012 at 4:49 am

Hello! I basically want to make a enormous thumbs up with the amazing information you