Machu Picchu Will Be Featured On FIFA ’12

As somebody who has played FIFA games in the past, I’ll make this statement: EA Sports’ FIFA games have the best soundtrack of any sports game I’ve played. Since the game is popular in many different nations, EA picks a wide range of artists from a variety of different countries. Through playing FIFA, I’ve discovered artists like The Kills and Santigold, so I’m glad to see that The Strokes’ “Machu Picchu’ will be featured on this year’s game.

I think this is a cool deal for two reasons. First, The Strokes play FIFA. On Rich Priest’s tour notes from the First Impressions tour, there was at least two entries which talked about Fab and Julian playing the popular soccer game. Secondly, The Strokes are popular in many soccer-mad nations around the world, including a number of countries in Europe and South America. While some might say this is another instance of the band selling out (which is a load of crap, but y’all are entitled to your opinions), I think it’s a perfect fit.

Oh, and I think this signifies that Machu Picchu is going to be third single from Angles.

Anyway, here’s the full tracklist.

ARTIST SONG COUNTRY
The Vaccines Wreckin’ Bar (Ra Ra Ra) England
Thievery Corporation Stargazer England
Tittsworth & Alvin Risk / Maluca La Campana USA/Portugal
TV On The Radio Will Do USA
Tying Tiffany Drownin’ Italy

1 Marcos September 14, 2011 at 8:40 pm

I agree with you that FIFA has the best soud tracks of any Video game franchise

2 Alex September 14, 2011 at 9:00 pm

I think that I’d have to disagree with you on FIFA having the best sound track of any video game franchise. I think that would have to belong to the Rock Band series. But that’s kind of cheating.

3 alx. September 14, 2011 at 9:09 pm

Amazing tracklist, glad Machu Picchu is in there. I also discover great bands from FIFA games.
Lyrics, confirmed in FIFA, played live…I guess Machu Picchu is an easy pick for the next single huh?

4 wolfman September 14, 2011 at 9:15 pm

definitely the smartest choice for single no. 3

5 LSA September 15, 2011 at 4:53 am

Where can you get the notes from the tour?

6 AunomdelaFrance September 15, 2011 at 10:56 am

When you buy Fifa 70€, you pay 20€ for the music, 20€ for EA, 20€ for real team and 10€ for the game.

Yeah, you know what I mean: Pro Evolution Soccer rocks.

7 Dillon September 15, 2011 at 12:50 pm

hey i dunno if anyone cares but today on pitchfork there was an interview with Christopher Owens lead singer of the band girls. (They are a band i do actually like alot) but the reason i bring it up here on Thestrokesnews.com is he made some weird reference to Julian Casablancas that i didnt really understand. I think it was meant as an insult though:

It’s fun to perform and be a singer, but writing songs is what really makes me happy. While we were recording this album I sent a Tweet to Justin Bieber: “Hey Justin, I’m the lead singer of Girls and you should come be the singer in our band. It’d be great for your career.” Imagine that– he’d be like the new Julian Casablancas! I’d give him all my songs and he’d sell millions of records.

so if anyone knows what thats even supposed to mean lemme know. It sounds like hes saying Julian doesnt write songs and just sings or gets songs given to him to sing or something which as we all know is not true at all.

anyways thought that was mildy interesting

8 Yuko September 15, 2011 at 1:07 pm

Dillon, I think he simply meant to say that he enjoys more being a song writer than a singer of the band, and Justin Beaber would be a huge rock star like Jules, who is a good looking front man, whose band also plays great music.

Although Justin Beaber will never be as good as Jules even if Christopher gives all his songs to him, I think he was kind of complementing Jules by saying he has it all…looks, talent and populality! I also doubt he would sell millions of records…either fans of JB or Girls would buy the record if he becomes the singer of the band…lol

9 the modern age September 15, 2011 at 1:40 pm

@Dillon and Yuko, What a weird thing for him to say in an interview… I agree with Yuko that he was probably just talking about Julian being a good looking frontman (although, Justin has nothing on Julian).

10 Dillon September 15, 2011 at 1:43 pm

haha okay yeah its just the way he worded it that didnt make sense, and the fact that of all people to compare beiber to he chose julian i thought it was like a sell out joke or something weird.

11 the modern age September 15, 2011 at 1:45 pm

yeah it was strange, we all know there’s no comparison :)

12 Alex King September 15, 2011 at 2:15 pm

Some guy posted I Like the Night song extended from the longer version! Listen to it! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RgLZctUeE9g

13 Yuko September 15, 2011 at 3:32 pm

@Dillon & the modern age: I would not blame him if Jules came to his mind first when thinking about good looking frontman of the rock band! lol

@Alex: that is great! thanks! Now, enough of this tease, I wanna hear the whole song! The recording seemed to be finished long ago. What is a hold back ?????

14 YeahBzz! September 15, 2011 at 4:17 pm

I hope not! I still want “Life Is Simple In The Moonlight” as the third single. That’s my favorite track from the album.

15 the modern age September 15, 2011 at 5:25 pm

@Alex King, Thanks for that!!!

@Yuko, I know….. he’s really dragging out this hype, isn’t he :(

Has anyone tried to do this Q&A thing? I figured I might as well ask something, but I can’t get the stupid page to load.

16 mateja September 15, 2011 at 5:32 pm

Soccer? Never heard of that sport.. you mean football?

17 wolfman September 15, 2011 at 9:21 pm

just discovered this guy’s covers. they’re really good! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gR9_xVjPWR4

18 New Fan, Julie September 16, 2011 at 5:14 am

I think Machu Picchu is a great choice for single #3. And what a good song for FIFA too.

@wolfman, Thanks for the link. There is a comment on YT that says this song is timeless- it absolutely is timeless. Julian Casablancas is the best, in my opinion. The best.

19 Aaron September 16, 2011 at 8:48 am

i know this is off topic but something i’ve been wondering for awhile now….did jules record all the parts on his solo album? ALL the parts?

20 the modern age September 16, 2011 at 12:44 pm

@Aaron, Julian did record some of the instrumentals but Mike Mogis contributed as well.

21 mateja September 16, 2011 at 3:54 pm

Are the MTV World Stage of Benicassim with The Strokes going to be aired or was just a rumour? Here in Argentina there was one about Oxegen fest (but they just showed Coldplay) but no thing yet about Benicassim..

22 alanna September 16, 2011 at 7:02 pm

i was gonna say that the strokes’ inclusion on fifa might persuade me to actually start playing video games, but i think i’d just end up jamming to machu picchu and ignore all the little dudes running around on the field. i’d majorly suck at fifa if that sex-tastic song started playing in the middle of my penalty kicks.

23 Juan September 17, 2011 at 10:39 am

Hey! Check this Call Me Back remix, it’s pretty cool:

24 Julie September 19, 2011 at 7:54 am

via shesfixing….. The Strokes are up for Best Alternative band at the MTV EMAs http://t.co/ANLIqW65

vote people!!

25 the modern age September 19, 2011 at 11:49 am

No more tour dates this year, but it looks like another record is coming soon!!!

Please let them come to the US next….

26 the modern age September 20, 2011 at 6:03 am
27 Sarah September 20, 2011 at 10:15 am

Guys, here is another recent interview of Julian with a weird Swiss magazine that I found in the depths of internet, with the translation cause it’s in French (sorry I did what I could) :

The article about the perfume (I did not translated it cause it’s only commercial information) :

I only translated this, just for our culture:
10 dB : Wind in the trees
20 dB : Whispered conversation
30 dB : Bedroom
90 dB : Motorcycle
110 dB : Violent storm
120 dB : Rock’s gig, Night-club or fire siren
140 dB : Formula 1 race
180 dB : Rocket take-off
194 dB : Loudest sound
Beyond that, the wave sound becomes a shock wave.

The interview (the link is under the paragraph named « l’artiste » in the ad description, click on « ici », I don’t know I find the format very strange) :

I : Put on a rock band like The Strokes, was it a childhood dream?
JC : This may sound a bit silly from a musician but my dream was more to be a modern composer than playing in a rock and roll band … I was a fan of many rock bands so I think it’s great to have created my own one! But I’m probably more coming by the composition in itself, that is to say not just “play a few chords and write the melody,” I was really interested by the render of the drum, the accompaniment, by what each instrument could do its part to create a nice piece of music.

I : What was your first instrument ?
JC : A guitar that I still have, but I no longer use. It was cool 15 years ago, but I confess that today its sound is terrible.

I : What were the bands you used to listen to when you were younger ?
JC : I had several phases, I liked a lot Bob Marley, Velvet Underground too… but also Brian Wilson, John Lennon, Nirvana, Pearl Jam, The Doors and a lot of others… Everything from Bob Dylan to Guided by Voices, Beethoven, Tom Petty, Benny Goodman, Bruce Springsteen, Mozart, Leonard Cohen, David Bowie, etc.

I : You quote Velvet Underground like the biggest rock band of all time. Why ?
JC : I think they are superior in many areas, I even feel that they probably were not recognized at fair value. They are immense and continue to inspire me.

I: What’s the most memorable rock moment of your career?
JC : The fans’ reaction to our music. It would be unfair to distinguish one gig from others.

I : Main composer of songs, you are known to be meticulous. Is perfectionism rock?
It’s complicated, I think we can’t do something good without being intensely involved and without a lot of work.
Say that we work a lot is boring, however it’s the reality. Sometimes the songs come naturally but sometimes require to put a lot of heart into your work.
I try not to be too perfectionist but that’s inevitable … you just have to know when to stop.

I : How you inspiration come from?
JC : The creative process is mysterious. It’s hard to explain how it works really. To me, the more you work hard, the less inspiration matters.

I : Why did you want to be a rock star?
JC : The most important thing is to find his way. For me, music was obvious.

I : What is your definition of rock?
JC : The up-tempo of the 1950s, R & B …? But it’s a personal definition that differs depending on each person. My definition matches me. I guess we can give the usual clichés such as energy, rebellion, youth, recklessness and self-destruction etc … and also the idea of being bold enough to speak freely?

I : Do you think the message of a rocker is primarily contained in his music or in the mood that he displays openly?
JC : In his music, of course. However, nowadays, they shape each other, as long as they both come from a sincere approach.

I : You’ve calmed down, you’re married. In your opinion, it’s not anymore antithetical to the life of a rocker?
JC : I found stability in the construction of my personal life. And it does not stop me to express myself musically. On the contrary.

I : Do you think rock music has evolved?
JC : Of course. The music evolves with the times, the rock also, no matter what it means to people …

I : Some say rock is dead?
JC : People say that “everything has already been done” since forever, probably because part of their imagination is dead.

I : Do you think there is a strong link between the ability to keep his child’s soul and that of cultivating his image?
JC : Not quite, the idea of cultivating his image involves some thought, which strikes me as the opposite of childhood …

I : Did you know the brand Azzaro?
JC : I saw Enrique’s ads, so I knew they had very good taste in men.

I : Why have you agreed to become the image of Decibel, the new fragrance for men from Azzaro?
JC : The brand is changing, it changes and grows, it is a concept that suits me a lot now, just like we were in sync.
I also think that Azzaro gives me the opportunity to reach people I would not have achieved within the traditional framework of my work.

I : What message do you want to convey?
JC : Musically I’d love to do something more fiery, different, but which is nevertheless known. I wish all good things would become unavoidable, but unfortunately, most are pretty underground and remain unknown to the general public.

I : What do you think of the perfume name?
JC : I rather like if you want a name that makes thinking about music, it makes sense.

I : What are to you the smells of everyday life that are the most rock ?
JC : The smell of bars, smoke, gas and leather.

I : Do you think that perfume is an object of seduction?
JC : A certain smell brings you back automatically to a special memory … and the smell is an important factor in the attraction.

28 Agus September 20, 2011 at 3:18 pm

Hey, just found this new Call Me Back remix

IT KICKS ASS!

29 saloni tiwari September 21, 2011 at 6:15 am

aww such an awesome interview, he sounds lucid, thank heavens :)

30 the modern age September 21, 2011 at 6:23 am

@Sarah, Thanks for translating that for us. Even though he only gives a little of his creative process away, it’s still interesting to hear what he has to say. I’m so glad Julian got married and pulled his personal life together…. we might still be waiting for more music from him/TS if he hadn’t found something stable. Maybe that’s just an assumption on my part, and I know he wasn’t the only band member having issues, but who really knows. Julian was/ is still the mastermind behind it all.

@Agus and Juan, thanks for that remix too.

Has anyone read/have an opinion of Sam Adoquei’s How Successful Artists Study? I know everyone has seen/knows about everything already, and this is already old news, but I finally started reading it and really like it. It’s fun to have a little insight into another one of Julian’s influences. I had no idea his mom’s artwork was in there either or that the book was dedicated to Julian. Guess I missed that one until now lol.

31 karinaa September 21, 2011 at 5:06 pm

omg. 11 songs from the US. 11 is my lucky numbaaa

32 LOL October 15, 2011 at 1:55 am

LOL @ Aunomdela France…
When you pay 70 Euros for the game, you know you’ve been ripped. $60 in the US.

33 kore dizileri izle July 24, 2012 at 8:06 pm

i cant get how you’ll be able to share like this incredible posts admin very much thanks

34 Ralph July 25, 2012 at 4:24 pm

hey admin thanks for fantastic and straightforward understandable publish i beloved your blog website actually significantly bookmarked also