Listen: Ke$ha “Only Wanna Dance With You” (featuring Julian Casablancas and Fabrizio Moretti)

by Eric Van Dril · 3,818 comments

I posted this song on Twitter last night and the reaction was mixed. It sounds like a Strokes song — the beat, the guitar, the vocal notes Ke$ha hits in the chorus — but it’s still a Ke$ha song. Some loved it, others didn’t. What do you think?

And here’s Ke$ha, in an interview with Spin, on how the collaboration with Julian and Fab came about.

Well, here’s one that came true: two/fifths of the Strokes are on your record! (Julian Casablancas and Fabrizio Moretti play on “Only Wanna Dance With You.”) How’d that happen?

Yeah! I know! That’s a good question. They just were down, and I was down. A friend of mine plays with Julian and we kind of knew each other, and Julian really likes Dr. Luke so they were talking, and it kind of happened oddly organically and in a strange way. I’m a huge fan of their music, and they’re on one of my favorite songs on the record. They’re part of a long list of some of my favorite bands that have actually collaborated with me on this record. It’s really exciting for me to work with people that are unexpected. I hope people freak out. I kind of freaked out when he was like, “Sure.” I was like, “Really?!”

3801 Ted February 8, 2013 at 5:05 am

Hey girls

Nice to see you there too ! As Wolfie said, the main thread can put you in a pessimist mood but I’m still excited about the album. I’m looking forward 80’s comedown and Call it faith Call it karma, it will be great if we can feel a clear skies vibe. It’s looking interesting, same concept than Angles but it sound like better. And I have this great feeling about this album because, we can feel that the band is happy.
It’s great that they still trying to explore different sounds. To me an artist is a person that challenge himself to explore different ways to be better and unique. I love ITI and ROF but what the point of making an other garage rock album after these beautiful albums ? Maybe later like a comeback to their roots.
And I’ve seen the new Julian’s photos ! This guy have always incredible jackets ! I’m not fond of the shoes, but hey Julian has style for sure !

3802 LillySu February 8, 2013 at 6:02 am

@Ted
We miss you and your comments too. These new developments around new album are so exciting. Can’t wait that Zane Lowe interview. What you think, who will be there from the band? I hope it won’t be by phone, but in person. Us girls hope for Julian, of course, but who knows… Look, I just found announcement for his Zane Lowe’s TS interview:

“I was as fascinated as anyone to hear the new Strokes. They’re clearly in a free place creatively. I look forward to hearing the album in full including the first official single with us in two weeks’ time, with interview.”

I’m glad he’s so positive and excited.

And about song titles… I like them all. I can’t say which song sounds more interesting… I’m happy they compare them with Reptilia, 12:51 and ITAO. And those too experimental… I can’t wait to hear those. And I said to myself not to read those descriptions of the songs no more. It makes me overexcited and simply can’t bear to be in that state. I hope for leak to be soon…

3803 LillySu February 8, 2013 at 6:04 am

@Ted
And I forgot to add …
I SIMPLY LOVE THOSE NEW JULIAN’S SHOES!
L O V E !
So Mary Poppins style!
Sorry!

3804 the modern age February 8, 2013 at 7:50 am

Hi Ted, nice to hear from you! You said this that I love and agree with 110%
“To me an artist is a person that challenge himself to explore different ways to be better and unique. I love ITI and ROF but what the point of making an other garage rock album after these beautiful albums ?” I couldn’t have put that better myself.

It’s so nice to talk about being excited for this. They always surprise me, especially Julian, and I’ve come to anticipate that they’ll give us next. I don’t understand why ppl don’t think that way, but to each his own. I wish the people wanting another ITI wouldn’t be so negative and attacking.

Like Wolfie said, we are hoping for new vocals but also some deep croom from Julian. You know, I’m having trouble with these song titles b/c I don’t want any thoughts in my head before I hear it. I read the article, but I can’t remember all of them and am DEF not reading any more reviews. The best thing about TS/JC is putting the music together like a puzzle. It takes time, but once I got through Phrazes the way I wanted to, it was better than ever. Of course, I hear new things, even in FIOE the other week, but it keeps me guessing. Like you said, a true artist creates that way and to appreciate and enjoy that makes it even better than I thought before.

Ah, I love this music and I’m SO excited to hear what’s coming next! I’m glad we can still talk to you here!

3805 the modern age February 8, 2013 at 8:01 am

@W, You said “I think it sound like Julian is in control though and that’s a good thing IMO. ” ME TOO!

And… I also love the new shoes. I was mad when Eric called him a “hipster pirate”. The man is unique and confident. I never thought I’d see him in boots like that, but, just like his music, his style is always evolving.

I (all of us over here) see Julian as an artist. To me, that includes more than just the music. It’s his whole being and way of life. 11D is a perfect example: “11th Dimension” is a total work of art that includes the song, the video, the attitude, the lyrics, the ability to intepret, the messages it includes, the outfits and scenarios on the video”

I love music history, so don’t mind me here, but Julian and his art reminds me of the explosion of art in Paris early 20th century. People like Diaghilev, Stravinsky, Nijinsky, Coco Chanel, etc created a FANTASTIC boom of combination of forms of art that led the way for other artists to “create”. It all came together as one fantastic “art”, and that’s what Julian does…. but he does it on his own, no real instruction… amazing.

Sorry to be heavy, you guys probably don’t care, but I love stuff like that! Look those ppl up on Google if you don’t know about it & think it’s cool, b/c it’s really interesting!

3806 Ted February 8, 2013 at 10:36 am

@ LillySu

I’m hoping for Julian too,because he’s not hiding his feelings when someone ask him the right question, he’s not an outgoing person but he speak the truth.
Don’t be sorry for the shoes, it’s cool on him, I was speaking for myself. I like that he’s trying new style each time, because, to me, a frontman must be charismatic, by his style, his attitude…

@modern age

like you I don’t understand people who are bitching about their new sound…so a negative attitude…They should support or have an constructive analyse not critizise them because they’re not happy with what the band is now. We love them for what they are and not for what we want for them.
And what they’re making right now show us that, they’re not a band who stay in his comfort zone, they don’t give a fuck and that nice, we all know what they’re capable but don’t know what to expect and that’s where it become interesting.
and you’re not heavy with history it’s interesting and cool to know where something come from.

3807 the modern age February 8, 2013 at 1:56 pm

@Ted, Agree agree agree!!! :)

3808 TheTourist February 8, 2013 at 10:09 pm

@Ted
Beautiful! I don’t get the negativity with OWT! It still ‘feels’ Strokes-y to me. It hits me right in the gut and makes my breath catch! If anything though, that NME review made me feel extra excited for the album! It sounds rad! Will you be able to listen to the BBC interview?

3809 Ted February 9, 2013 at 12:58 pm

yeah I’m going to listen to that BBC interview, we’re all look forward to listening to All The Time and the interview :)

3810 TheTourist February 9, 2013 at 2:03 pm

I hope it’s available afterwards because I’m at school!

3811 Matt February 9, 2013 at 7:34 pm

Just thought I’d drop by to say that I pre-ordered the vinyl.

3812 the modern age February 9, 2013 at 8:57 pm

@Matt, Awesome :) I’m so pumped about CM!!

3813 Ted February 10, 2013 at 7:43 am

@Matt

Cool, I wish I could do the same, but I should buy a turn table !

@thetourist

I’m going to try to record the interview and the song and put it on youtube.

3814 TheTourist February 11, 2013 at 7:43 pm

Damn the interview moved…

3815 the modern age February 11, 2013 at 8:08 pm

@Ted and Matt, I don’t know a lot about production, and I have a question so I’m asking you guys instead of someone over there who might yell at me. Someone was saying the production on FIOE was terrible, and I don’t get why that is b/c it has a big clear sound to me. I always thought it was great and that Angles sounded more processed, but can you guys explain that to me? Also, people seem to hate Gus Oberg and I don’t know any back story with him. Is it because of Angles? I’m just curious.

3816 Ted February 12, 2013 at 12:06 pm

@ModernAge

Like you, I don’t know a lot about production, but I think it’s more a question of personnal taste.
I find the production on FIOE, fine to me, like if you refer as this person who said that the intro of Ize was to distorded, serioulsy I love how it sounds and can’t imagine what difference we can’t make to make it better, and for who ?
Like we know Julian as a control freak, we can be sure that he choose how he wants how that going to sound. It makes me laught, some people think they are sound Engineer…
As for Angles, some of the tracks sound roughts, but I think they wanted to.
I think people prefer to blame Gus than the Strokes, it’s the same people that said Angles sound bad and All The Time sound big….. I think if it was so bad they would not let him produce Comedown Machine…like how they dismissed Nigel Godrich on Room on fire.

here one concrete example of what a different production can do on the same track :

listen to the bass (single version)
this one is brighter

and (album version)

3817 the modern age February 13, 2013 at 2:07 pm

Hi Ted and thanks for responding! I’m sorry I took so long to get over here. You’re so right about it being how Julian wanted and TS choosing who they want based on what they know :) and you’re also right that people think they know so much sometimes, lol. I think I understand what you mean. The links were a perfect explanation, and a song I love to beat! Thanks! :)

3818 Adelie February 19, 2014 at 11:12 am

It’s spooky how clever some ppl are. Thnksa!