Listen: a bunch of Brazilian bands cover ‘Is This It’ (THEY COVERED SAGGANUTS TOO!!!)

OK, so a bunch of Brazilian bands covered Is This It and unfortunately the cover of NYC Cops isn’t just some rapper saying “Fuck the police” repeatedly like that dude did in the Stereogum cover which came out a few months ago.

The one downside of this cover record is the beginning of Last Nite sounds just like that annoying Jet song that’s in those beer commercials (and Iggy Pop’s Lust For Life, as reader Joe pointed out). You’ll know the one.

That said, the Brazilian artists put their own spin on The Strokes’ songs, but they still sound similar to the originals. Which is how it should be, obviously. The following is what they say they were going for…

The goal was to make a different collection, to escape the traditional Strokes’ guitars and Julian Casablancas’ heavy voice. We selected the artists in order to actually make the tracks new, with a different personality to add to each song.

Visit this link to land on the Facebook group, which is currently streaming the record. You have to “Like” the group in order to listen to it.

Oh, and you know what’s the most bad ass thing about this cover record? They covered Sagganuts.

What do you all think? (The end of Soma is incredible, btw. And Alone Together is really interesting.)

1 mike! November 1, 2011 at 9:58 pm

besides the vocals (maybe im being harsh sorry), these covers are better than most of songs on the tribute record “stroked” from spin magazine or w.e Who else agrees ?

2 C November 1, 2011 at 10:08 pm

Will listen to the rest later, but so far I really enjoy ‘Sagganuts’, and am in complete agreement with Mike.

3 Joe November 1, 2011 at 10:23 pm

the beat at the beginning of the last nite cover is from iggy pop’s lust for life. its disappointing that you didn’t know that. oh and this covers album shits on that other abomination. thank you brasil!

4 pbandj November 1, 2011 at 10:28 pm

Fab is half Brazilian, correct? Yes, the Brazilians know good music.

5 Eric Van Dril November 1, 2011 at 10:29 pm

@Joe — Yes, that one too. This is the song I was talking about: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mAxUIjJrFKQ

6 wolfman November 1, 2011 at 10:34 pm

i think alone together and when it started are the best.

7 maselphie November 1, 2011 at 11:53 pm

Wow. These guys GET it. They get the Strokes. They all have a Strokes kinda vibe to them – you know, just guys in a room playing a song. Just total win, basically.

I agree x 1000% that even despite the accented vocals, this album easily EASILY trumps that other cover album.

8 kilma November 2, 2011 at 5:49 am

Hey guys this collection was named This Is Indie, as a Brazilian I must confess I like more this version the of Rock’n’Beats than the of Stereogum!

9 Hanan November 2, 2011 at 6:01 am

badass is one word.
also, everyone who’s anyone knows that Jet ripped off of Iggy Pop for that song.
sheesh.

10 the modern age November 2, 2011 at 6:26 am

I know this is is going to be the unpopular opinion, but I really don’t like any tribute album (in general, as a whole). However… I actually really liked the version of Soma and Sagganuts on this one. And obviously, ANYONE who covers Sagganuts is a bad ass! Plus, it was really cool that they followed the original ITI track list and then threw in 3 extras.

On a side note, how cute (and funny in a corny way) was Albert’s reply to Julian’s tweet today. [“@Casablancas_J I immediately started smiling after watching that. Can I be frank, you can still be Jules, it turned my frown upside down.”] I wish those two would express their bromance more on twitter. If Julian cared more about twitter I think there might be a chance of that, hahaha.

On another side note, does anyone else laugh (endearingly, of course) at Julian’s terrible dances in that Arlene Grocery video? That being said, every time I’ve seen him falling all over the place, his still sounds fantastic and doesn’t miss a beat. Bitchin ;)

11 the modern age November 2, 2011 at 6:38 am

And I agree that this one is WAY better than the other tribute album… I didn’t think Sterogum’s album was any way to show tribute to “the world’s best, most interesting band” (as we say here). Just my opinion.

12 AunomdelaFrance November 2, 2011 at 8:29 am

Do they make a cover of the 15m extended version of Killing Lies ?

13 Julie November 2, 2011 at 9:57 am

I love the video you posted Eric. Is This Indie is so much better than Stereogum. Joe said that one was an abomination and themodernage said it was no way to show tribute, ha ha ha- yep!!!

@themodernage, I saw those tweets today too and was laughing so hard! @pbandj, yes they do!

14 shadey November 2, 2011 at 10:26 am

I felt like I was listening to Is This It again for the first time, except in a slightly alternate universe where I’m a different person. That was fun, I like it!!

15 Fábio Cardelli November 2, 2011 at 2:40 pm

hey folks, thank you for your appreciation! I’m the lead singer in Sagganuts by the Visitantes, really happy to see we’re not the only crazy Strokes fans who totally love this rare song!

This is how a music video from a brazilian band who covers “Sagganuts” looks like:

O Castelinho da Rua Apa (The Little Castle in Apa Street)

hugs from the South!
F.c.

16 Walmar November 2, 2011 at 4:15 pm

Take a look at “last nite – Los Hermanos”, i Bet you’ll all like, amarante from little joy is from this band

17 CM November 2, 2011 at 8:16 pm

@AunomdelaFrance: I freakin’ love that joke. I’m not even being sarcastic in the slightest, and I’m always sarcastic. 15m of Killing Lies… just cracks me up. :-)

18 AunomdelaFrance November 2, 2011 at 9:38 pm

This extented version exists. Julian said that it couldn’t be in FIOE because it was not matching the market, it was too long. They don’t play it in concert because they don’t feel tough enough.

They’ve got it, I hope it will be a B-side.

19 jeommp November 3, 2011 at 3:17 am

Where is the proof of this Killing Lies thing? I really don’t believe you.

20 Chuck November 3, 2011 at 8:21 am

To listen to the drum line on our Last Nite version and say that it “sounds like the Jet/Iggy bla bla bla” it is very amateur from some one writing about rock music. Every human being HAS TO ABLE to identify that drum intro in milliseconds. And also HAS TO KNOW IT IS in fact from Iggy Pop’s classic Lust For Life (it is on Trainspotting… c’mon…). Copy+paste+play over. And also, it is nice to remember that when both Last Nite by the Strokes and Are You Gonna Be My Girl by the Jets were released EVERYBODY related their drum lines to the Iggy Pop’s classic because they are smart enough to know the song.

That said… man, putting the drum line there were just a joke. And we are taking advantage on the little polemic here to maybe make more people go and listen to the thing. Há. :)

Also… listen to this beautiful song by Tom Petty and tell how it “sounds like”.

Abraços aos meus amigos brasileiros envolvidos no projeto!

21 Bobby November 4, 2011 at 12:42 am

Sagganuts is so dope! This is a pretty cool album of covers, i liked the foreign touch. The Strokes need to just put out Sagganuts on #5 Album already! Its so great!!!

22 r4wer November 4, 2011 at 9:13 pm

Does anyone know how I can download these songs?

23 Izadora Pimenta (Rock 'n' Beats) November 7, 2011 at 4:16 pm

Thanks, guys!

“Is This Indie” is now available for download”

Pay with a tweet:

24 kore dizileri izle July 24, 2012 at 1:14 pm

Really necessary publish admin fantastic one particular i bookmarked your net page see you in up coming website publish.

25 Allan July 25, 2012 at 5:53 pm

oh my god superb post admin will check out your website constantly

26 mount-prospect-generators.com August 18, 2012 at 4:17 pm