Julian Casablancas won a Grammy, Albert Hammond Jr’s ‘Strange Tidings’ hits the web

Who said Sunday nights were slow in Strokesland?

Julian Casablancas won a Grammy earlier this evening as a writer on Daft Punk’s Random Access Memories, which won Album of the Year. Then, less than 30 minutes later, the video for bandmate Albert Hammond Jr.’s Strange Tidings hit the web.

Here is Albert’s new video…

51 julian c. January 30, 2014 at 8:33 am

maybe he means that julian is going to drop the album out of nowhere, i think thats what beyonce did…but i doubt it…the single though, yeah….one day soon we’ll get a single/maybe video with a release date…

52 heather January 30, 2014 at 10:29 am

Thanks for posting that video, DC14. Great find. And Dillon, I would be cool with Julian dropping a surprise cd, but I do hope that he will do promo interviews for this project. Also, guys, for anyone going to the Governors ball, Albert said on twitter that The Strokes will be playing on Saturday and Julian on Friday.

53 the modern age January 30, 2014 at 10:29 am

I feel like we could get a new song any day. Maybe a Friday afternoon like TS did with OWT… maybe tomorrow… here’s hoping.

54 yeah January 30, 2014 at 10:38 am

@the modernage lol I’ve been hoping for that friday afternoon single for a couple months now….

55 Dillon January 30, 2014 at 10:57 am

@Julian C
@Annie 1251

yeah i meant just to drop it out of nowhere. Unconventional promotion and surprise releases are all the rage right now.

56 Andres January 30, 2014 at 2:11 pm

maybe he will present the single on zane lowe and an interview too with details of his new Lp

57 WHATTHEFUCKWHASTHAT January 30, 2014 at 2:58 pm

maybe he will do Ellen! jk, but I really hope for another Jimmy Fallon, his River of Breaklights performance was his best yet!

58 Annie 1251 January 30, 2014 at 6:50 pm

@Dillon
Yeah that sounds just like something Julian would do! and didn’t Bowie just release an album the same way?

@heather
I would also love for him to do some interviews. but we all know that’s his least favorite thing…..

MA – tomorrow sounds real good to me!

@WTFWT
your name still cracks me up lol! I listened to that Unknown song today btw :)
and yeah the RoB performance on Fallon was amazing!
And Jimmy Fallon is taking over the Tonight Show on Feb 17th. wouldn’t it be so great if Julz was one of his first guestz?

and speaking of amazing performances – here’s my fave Strokes song and one of their best perfomrnaces imo -on Leno

59 yeah January 31, 2014 at 11:12 am

I’ve been really depressed and extremely anxious these past few months…i need a new JC album to speak to me…help me julian!! help!!! i need your help!! I’ve been trying to follow my dreams but its hurting…..his music always seems to magically know what emotions I’m having

60 Wolfsie January 31, 2014 at 11:49 am

@yeah
It won’t be long… hang in there :-)

61 heather January 31, 2014 at 12:53 pm

So true Annie. I’m curious about what he’ll do in terms of media, but regardless, I’m just happy he has new music is coming out soon. :)

62 SAS January 31, 2014 at 1:24 pm

Cool piece about cult – get the (hopeful) feeling things are hotting up for a single….

63 R Guy January 31, 2014 at 5:38 pm

Looks like that wish that the single would drop on this Friday night won’t happen.

64 the modern age February 1, 2014 at 11:20 am

R Guy, yeah, oh well…. Maybe the end of this month. Julian takes his time, but it’s coming sooner rather than later! I think he will release the album in the beginning of March.

65 Brain February 1, 2014 at 3:20 pm

Call me when The Strokes win a Grammy.

66 Andres February 1, 2014 at 9:35 pm

@theModernAge i am thinking in something like this

Single: february 10-20
Album: March 15-22

There is a leak schedule of lollapalooa chile and it says that julian will play like 1:10 hour thats like 17 songs. so yeah maybe he will realese the album in march

67 Joseph A February 1, 2014 at 10:00 pm

This has nothing to do with Julian in Chile or new music. But, I wanted to share that I found a black Strokes t shirt with the logo on it for 9.50 in a thrift shop yesterday. The shirts on the website are too expensive

68 Phantasm February 2, 2014 at 8:35 am

New Julian + Simon Taufique song :

69 yeah February 2, 2014 at 9:12 am

wow…..awesome! so good.

70 yeah February 2, 2014 at 9:13 am

julian’s on some other shit

71 squirrel February 2, 2014 at 10:32 am

So Lena Dunham is also a Strokes fan, or so it seems…! http://i.imgur.com/Mig4mdF.jpg

72 yeah February 2, 2014 at 10:49 am

wow that came out 9 months ago…wtf how come nobody has said anything..?? its probably for that movie thats coming out which looks pretty lame and boring, but oh well the music will at least be good.

73 squirrel February 2, 2014 at 11:05 am

@yeah
what film, “she’s lost control”? it’s been months since I last heard about it, I was starting to think it had been put on the back burner / downright abandoned…

74 the modern age February 2, 2014 at 11:25 am

She’s Lost Control is playing in the Berlin film fest soon and then at SXSW in Austin. Maybe it’ll play at the Manhattan Film Fest this summer, idk. I’m hoping to go see it, I think it looks cool. Interesting concept and obviously there will be good music.

75 lost February 2, 2014 at 12:28 pm

whats up with the julian and simon song? did they remove it?

76 Dillon February 2, 2014 at 1:34 pm

that julian simon song is the same chord progression as One Way Trigger.

77 lost February 2, 2014 at 4:30 pm

@Dillon it sounded similar to something but i couldn’t figure out what it was

78 Mike B February 2, 2014 at 9:54 pm

This week… I can feel it

79 ten February 2, 2014 at 10:19 pm

@lost on first hearing, found myself humming beirut’s elephant gun towards the last part of human sadness

80 Matt February 2, 2014 at 11:43 pm

@Dillon

Julian really loves that chord progression, actually. It’s used in 11th Dimension, OWT, Welcome to Japan, and even in Nick’s supposed track, Hamilton. An arpeggio of that chord progression is also heard in Eric Johnson’s Cliff’s of Dover. Very lovely chord progression.

Also if anyone knows the technicalities for writing that progression, that would be awesome.

81 wolfman February 3, 2014 at 12:51 am
82 Matt February 3, 2014 at 1:28 am

@wolfman

Lovely 8-bit. Only thing that irks me is that the guitars are too low for Niko and Albert.

83 Dillon February 3, 2014 at 2:15 am

@ matt

yeah i mean its one of those great pop chord progressions. a slightly enhanced version of it is also the YOLO chorus. Although in this case it sounds nearly identical to One Way Trigger specifically in the timing of chord movements and the bass line. sounds like it almost could have been a demo that turned into OWT.

84 Dillon February 3, 2014 at 2:17 am

i dunno what you mean exactly by technicalities, but the chords are 2 5 1 4
you can also use the almost identical 2 5 1 6

85 Dillon February 3, 2014 at 2:22 am

also not to be a stickler but that progression isnt in WTJ or 11th dimension i dunno about hamilton though.

86 Matt February 3, 2014 at 11:28 am

@Dillon

Ah, that’s what I meant by “chord technicalities”. Thanks!

And it sure is in WTJ and 11th Dimension! It’s not exact, but it’s enough for me to consider it being the same chord progression. Here’s a mockup sampler with the bits I’m talking about:

First is the basic chord structure to listen for. Second is 3 parts of One Way Trigger where it’s pretty noticeable. Third is Welcome to Japan. Fourth is two versions of 11th Dimension; studio and acoustic where it’s more noticeable. Fifth is a verse from Hamilton. Lastly is just a part of Cliff’s of Dover.

Again, I’m not the greatest with theory technical terms, but it is basically small variations of the same chord progression, right?

87 Dillon February 3, 2014 at 2:15 pm

The chord part in WTJ is Bb C F Dm which is 4 5 1 6
The chord part in 11th Dimension is Bm A E which is 2 1 5 , both different from the 2 5 1 4 in One Way Trigger. Although that progression in WTJ is VERY similar so i can see how you would think it was the same. But technically its different.

However those last two pieces, Hamilton and Cliffs of dover are both using the same progression as 2 5 1 4. They probably changed partners in crime from that hamilton demo because of its simliarities to OWT, as that progression doesnt appear on the studio version like it does on that demo.

88 Dillon February 3, 2014 at 2:15 pm

fun fact the progression you pointed out in WTJ, is the same progression as the chorus of Chances

89 Dillon February 3, 2014 at 2:18 pm

wait sorry, that chances / WTJ thing is not actually true. disregard that comment!

90 Matt February 3, 2014 at 2:41 pm

Wait so even though the chord progression in WTJ is just the one from OWT but transposed a few notes higher, it’s completely different? Interesting. I need to start learning my theory I guess. Still they all sound fairly similar, as well as play similar, to me. I guess I am pretty wet behind the ears when it comes to musical theory. Thanks for the info.

91 Dillon February 3, 2014 at 4:56 pm

well its not the “the same but transposed a few notes higher” , they are different progressions. the welcome to japan chorus starts on the four chord in the scale, which in F major is Bb. then it goes to the five chord (C major) the one chord (f major) and the six chord (d minor)

the one way trigger progression is in D major and goes to the two chord (e minor) the five chord (a major) the one chord (D major) and the four chord (G major)

like i said they are very similar but the first and last chords are different. For WTJ to be the exact same it would need to be G minor C major F major and then B b major

also i was actually right the first time, the WTJ chorus and the Chances chorus use the same progression 4 5 1 6

Hope that helps! and Hopefully i dont sound like a snob!

92 Matt February 3, 2014 at 7:24 pm

@Dillon

No worries about the snob thing!

I understand that the chord progression isn’t exactly the same, while still similar…
But are you and I playing WtJ the same way? I play Gm, F, C, F, C, Dm.
Then for part of OWT, it’d be Em, D, A, D, A, Bm.

If you played the bar chords for that, it’d just be the same exact thing but transposed 3 frets higher, right?

93 Mary Shea February 5, 2014 at 12:50 pm

Gahhh I have been so far removed from Strokes-land. I am diggin’ this song and have TONS more to catch up on. I can’t seem to log onto toxic radio, that’s how much of a forgetful veteran I am. Hi to anyone who might remember me. It’s a longshot. Hahah. :)

I’m very glad to see this site is still runnin’ like a beauty. Hah. I shall be clicking away.