Hey Jules, Wanna Trade Phone Cases?

There are a bunch of videos from this weekend’s Strokes gigs in Mexico currently up on YouTube. I could post a bunch of those in this space (they dusted off Heart in a Cage and Nick wore shorts onstage for the first time ever), but I think the following is more interesting…

Reason No. 132 why The Strokes’ Mexican fans are probably the most passionate fanbase: they camp out for The Strokes in the airport.

While there, as you can see on this tumblr account, some get a Hammond autograph on their forearms, a Moretti autograph on their Angles booklet and swap phone cases with Casablancas. Sooooo cool.

That said, I feel bad for Fab and Jules in these two videos: Fab / Julian arriving in Mexico. Take the Fab video for instance.

One of the admins from that Facebook group called The Strokes Fandom: “Fab, can you say hello to The Strokes Fandom?” Fab: “Hellooooo.”

Translation — One of the admins from TSF: “Fab, I’m totally freaking out right now by your mere presence. Can I trick you into kinda, sorta admitting you’re aware of a Facebook group where I post stuff and, at the same time, help us grow our popularity?”

Fab: “Gee, I really appreciate your deep love for our music, but I sure would love to make it out of this situation quickly and without being violated. Get your hand off my shoulder, bro.”

By all accounts, the Strokes’ shows in Mexico were brilliant. But this waiting in the airport for The Strokes thing can go one of two ways. Either it can be really neat, or it can be pretty creepy.

51 heather October 18, 2011 at 6:58 am

Josh, you say that as if people don’t get trampled at shows in the US. I know from two very scary personal experiences that they do. This “my country is better than your country” discussion is becoming really stupid and immature. Glasgow’s got us all beat anyway. Didn’t something like 3/5 of the Strokes say that Glasgow had best crowds? Just saying!

52 Sofia October 18, 2011 at 7:14 am

You guys should’nt have taken it personally.. people around the world are different, crowds are different, but that does not make you a “better” fan or a better crowd or a better country. It’s just culture. There’s no reason to argue about it!

53 the modern age October 18, 2011 at 7:20 am

Heather is right- this is enough, eveyone. This is SO cheesy of me to say, but what really matters is that we ALL love TS! I have also heard them say they love the UK. Now I’m considering moving there so they’ll love me the most too….. I’m kidding, I’m really not that obsessed with them :)

One other thing… even though we all have different opinions of waiting for bands at the airport/hotel, at the end of the day that chick has good pictures and Julian’s iPhone case!

54 the modern age October 18, 2011 at 7:27 am

@Sofia, That was a nice review and a great picture! Thanks for posting that.

55 the modern age October 18, 2011 at 8:41 am

Sorry for all these posts guys- I’m clearly having a slow morning at work.

@Sofia or anyone who’s been to Mexico really, Even though it’s not likely I would wait at an airport for a band (I’m not criticizing, really!) I’m just curious about something b/c I’ve never been to Mexico. Is the airport very small? I’m just wondering how people know where to meet them. I’ve gotten lost in airports in the US lol. I hope that doesn’t sound rude, I just really don’t know.

56 pbandj October 18, 2011 at 9:43 am

This is probably the dumbest question anyone could ask at this point, but I’m curious, so here it goes: What does Julian’s shirt say/What is the design for? It’s pretty awesome-looking.

57 Julie October 18, 2011 at 9:52 am

That’s not a dumb question. The one from the airport is an a old FILA shirt. Gotta love him.

I still want HQ videos :(

58 pbandj October 18, 2011 at 4:35 pm

@Julie Ah, I totally see it now! Thanks!

59 heather October 18, 2011 at 5:25 pm

OK, so I was wrong. Accordingto Jules’ latest twitter post, Mexico has got us all beat.LMAO!

Casablancas_J Julian Casablancas
2 hours ago
So that settles it! :)

60 Sofia October 18, 2011 at 5:51 pm

@the modern age:
There are 2 terminals at Mexico City’s airport… they arrived at the newest one and well, it’s not like really big.
As someone commented before, it is very common for us mexicans/ latin people to receive artists at the airport; I mean, us latins are known for our crazyness and “warmness” with people. We do it all the time, I’ve seen lots of people with photos with bands at the airport here in Mexico, such as Cobra Starship (a few weeks ago), The Killers, or singers like Mika.
Last Saturday when I saw the Strokes I honestly thought it would be just me and my boyfriend that would be waiting for them… but there were like 15-20 people there too when we arrived.
And to be honest, the guys (Jules and Fab) didn’t seem bothered or angry at all as some people are making it look like! Yes, you can hear people squeeling and screaming in the video but Jules and Fab honestly seemed very happy to be received like that, Julian kept smiling all of the time and thanking everyone, and so did Fab.

61 Sofia October 18, 2011 at 5:54 pm

You can see that in Julian’s latest twitt :)

“btw, i love you Mexico, thanks for this weekend!! no crowds roar louder!! you guys are the best!!! be back soon…”

62 heather October 18, 2011 at 5:59 pm

Sophia, thanks for sharing your story. I just finished reading it. By the way, you look a little bit like Drew Barrymore in your profile picture.

63 Sofia October 18, 2011 at 6:06 pm

Ha! Maybe that’s why Fab smiled back at me after I had my photo taken with him! jk :P

64 heather October 18, 2011 at 6:22 pm

Lol!

65 SharonGuitar500 October 18, 2011 at 6:31 pm

the modern age: No, I’d say it’s average. At least the one in Mexico City, I don’t know about others. Depends what you compare it with, too. I’ve been in about 4 airports in the US, and if you compare it to the one at Dallas, then it is small.

66 the modern age October 18, 2011 at 7:12 pm

Thanks for the info Sharon and Sophia. I really had no idea this was so common in other cultures- please forgive my ignorance. I’m glad you had fun and got to meet them! I can’t say I’m not jealous now ;)

67 the modern age October 18, 2011 at 7:16 pm

*Sofia, not Sophia. Sorry!

68 Sofia October 18, 2011 at 8:02 pm

nevermind :)

69 the modern age October 19, 2011 at 6:55 am

I found a link to this twitter account from another fan site saying that that the festival in Argentina next month will (may?) have a live stream. If this is the case, I’m really excited! Is there someone that could please translate this? There is another link in one of the tweets to the Personal Fest website but I’m not sure if it’s really giving any details or not.

70 SharonGuitar500 October 19, 2011 at 9:40 am

According to the Personal Fest website, there will be a live stream on November 4 and 5, but there aren’t any more details.

71 wolfman October 19, 2011 at 9:43 am

don’t let one person make this stuff such a big deal. i’m sure everything would have been fine if that girl didn’t scream into julian’s ear.

72 Sofia October 19, 2011 at 9:56 am

^ that’s right! It’s not such a big deal. It was just one crazy/extremely excited fangirl and that’s it! :P

73 JF October 19, 2011 at 12:09 pm

God, Eric why do you always have to make a big deal about every little thing? Things aren’t nearly as dramatic (or spectacular) as you often make them out to be. Here, you belittle some other Strokes fansite owner/admin in the process. You’re a piece of work.

For the record, I don’t feel sorry for Julian nor Fab. Just because this isn’t the sort of reception they receive in North American, doesn’t mean it’s an unwelcome change for them.

74 the modern age October 19, 2011 at 12:39 pm

Thanks Sharon.

This really isn’t that exciting, but if you’re bored… here is the promo video for Personal Fest- they chose to play Last Nite in the background, which is kind of cool :)

75 YES. October 19, 2011 at 12:46 pm

William Shatner’s cover of Major Tom with Nick Valensi on guitar is on Spotify, credited solely to Nick.

76 pbandj October 19, 2011 at 3:24 pm

@YES. Love the sole credit to Nick, although Zakk Wylde is also featured on guitar for that track. I want an instrumental version because it would sound great without Shatner’s voice.

77 ts-a October 19, 2011 at 3:45 pm

I agree with JF. And also Eric you think waiting at the airport to meet a band you love is creepy yet you personally run a fan site dedicated to the strokes. Just saying

78 Sofia October 19, 2011 at 5:42 pm

^ Why is running a fansite something creepy? oh well

79 the modern age October 19, 2011 at 5:52 pm

Maybe the answer is that ALL of us are creepy ;) lol

80 Skye October 19, 2011 at 6:04 pm

Well, running a fansite doesn’t invade anyone’s personal space. I mean, I don’t find the airport thing all that creepy. The incessant screaming was annoying, but not really unexpected…

81 a lot October 20, 2011 at 2:54 am

jesus christ why do you no-lifes even discuss stupid shit like this……….

82 Tracy October 20, 2011 at 3:19 am

Fact of the matter is, Eric has and will always bash other Strokes fans. The end.

83 well, October 20, 2011 at 5:55 am

@a lot, just because.

I do not think it’s not creepy to run a fansite. Lots of people are reading & commenting on it now aren’t they? Including all of you who say it’s weird…. hmmm.

84 Julie October 20, 2011 at 6:20 am

It’s annoying that the only news on the strokes website is the new bumble bee tee. Why are their people so into new merchandise? They’re already making a massive amount of cash on these festivals this year. Maybe promo?

85 heather October 20, 2011 at 6:47 am

Coldplay: ‘The Strokes’ ‘Is This It’ is the best album of past 15 years':

86 ts-a October 20, 2011 at 8:17 am

@Tracy
Sounds about right

87 well, October 20, 2011 at 8:25 am

@Tracey and @ts-a, What are some examples of that other than this particular post?

88 Carla October 20, 2011 at 8:49 am

Hey Eric,

I’m going to comment on behalf of your statement about The Strokes Fandom. Alexa, the admin in the video asking if Fab can send his greetings was not towards the facebook page itself but the actual “fandom”, ie, the fans. It’s KINDA why I named the page as such, lol…. *We* (me, you, everyone) make up that fandom and it’s nice to hear him say ANYTHING because of how pushed aside he is by every media place. So, please understand that it wasn’t to the page, but to fans. If I were in her place (which I will be next time around, if it kills me), I’ll ask Nikolai to say hi to our fan friends as well :)

Cheers ;)

89 Eric October 20, 2011 at 9:03 am

@Carla — I have a hard time believing that she was asking him to say hi to Strokes fans by using “fandom,” which isn’t a word I can recall ever hearing used in a sentence before last week. Maybe, because she’s involved in that page, she’s more likely to use it, but from where I’m sitting it sounded awkward when she said it. That’s why I wrote what I did.

And, for the record, Fab isn’t pushed aside by news outlets. If a news organization were to ask for any one of the five Strokes for an interview, most would ask for Julian (reasons: popularity, front-man status) first. But the reason Julian doesn’t do many interviews is because he doesn’t want to. I think Fab is the same way. Trust me, people aren’t choosing Nikolai or Albert every time. They want to speak with a Stroke and those are the two most commonly available.

90 the modern age October 20, 2011 at 9:05 am

@heather, that’s really cool! They’re right :) hahaha

91 the modern age October 20, 2011 at 9:37 am

It agree that saying “fandom” sounded a little awkward, but I really think she meant Strokes fans in general, and that’s probably how it came off to them in the moment (just a guess).

Eric is right that no one but Albert and Nikolai will agree to talk. I thought the Decibel Q&A was really great, but did anyone else notice on Decibel’s FB page that, after the questions were submitted mid-Sept, Julian was supposed to reply by Sept 30, and then didn’t get to it until a week or so later? They said it was due to his “crazy touring schedule”, but the last show was Sept 4th and the next one wasn’t until Oct 14th. It probably took him all of an hour to do that Q&A session. I wouldn’t be surprised at all if Fab is the same way. Most of them, especially Julian, have said that promo is the worst part of their jobs. I would say promo includes interviews. I’m not saying they don’t appreciate their fans, but point being is that Fab isn’t pushed aside. You just caught him at the right time :)

92 wolfman October 20, 2011 at 8:12 pm

i have to admit, i was a coldplay fan before i was a strokes fan, so coldplay’s approval is really nice to hear haha.

93 Eric Van Dril October 20, 2011 at 8:15 pm

@wolfman — what do you think of the new record? I still haven’t heard it, but I’ve read bad things.

94 wolfman October 21, 2011 at 8:14 am

I’ve only heard a few tracks, not too big on the direction they’re going in, but i think viva la vida was pretty awesome by coldplay standards.

95 kore dizileri izle July 24, 2012 at 11:09 pm

I used to be trying to find this blog very last three or more times great web site operator great posts every thing is terrific