Julian Casablancas’ new album is due out in April 2014, according to Q Magazine

Q Magazine wrote that Julian Casablancas’ new album is expected to be released in April 2014. Reader very metal wrote that the magazine wrote the following in its current issue…

This is what it says in the mag, at the end of the 2014 Albums Preview, on the “Wait, There’s More…” page: “In terms of frontmen going solo, Julian Casablancas’s second Strokes-less outing (currently with the working title Voidz) will be out in April…” That’s it.

An April release would make sense given that Julian and his backing band are playing dates in South America at the end of March and near the beginning of April. But Rich Priest, who works closely with Julian at Cult Records, almost immediately refuted the report.

Stay tuned.

1 Conrad January 7, 2014 at 11:00 am

Come on, give us a single Julian !!

2 LillySu January 7, 2014 at 11:05 am

Finally some concrete news! So it’s album, not EP! 🙂

3 matheus January 7, 2014 at 11:10 am

@Conrad

i think we ‘ill listen a new single just in late fabruary – maybe march.

4 LillySu January 7, 2014 at 11:19 am

Richard Priest said it’s news to him…

5 Eric Van Dril January 7, 2014 at 11:19 am

Yeah, I agree with matheus. I’d expect a single in late February.

6 Eric Van Dril January 7, 2014 at 11:20 am

@LillySu — Maybe Q is wrong. Who knows?

7 Eric Van Dril January 7, 2014 at 11:52 am

It would be typical Strokes if this was a premature report and then Julian’s solo album came out next year.

8 LillySu January 7, 2014 at 11:56 am

Maybe it will be earlier than April. 🙂

9 yeah January 7, 2014 at 12:21 pm

was def hoping it would be sooner, like march…..but who knows how true any of this man 🙁 the life of a strokes fan….how come rich didn’t confirm or deny it? he’s julian’s manager, he would know better than Q…

10 AutomaticStop January 7, 2014 at 12:26 pm

As long ass Julian doesn’t do a standard music video, it’s all good. He looks so awkward to me when he has to do that (see Instant Crush). I prefer a live video of some sort, or a non-lip synced video. Can’t stand seeing the same moves he’s been awkwardly doing for years (where he pulls one side of his leather jacket, for example) whenever he has to “perform” for the camera.

11 i'mcrying January 7, 2014 at 12:36 pm

OMFG, please julian babe, get out of wherever you are, i f*ckin’ need you

12 Gibson January 7, 2014 at 1:22 pm

Idk I think awkward julian is the best.

13 Wolfsie January 7, 2014 at 1:25 pm

Who cares about the dancing? It’s new music!!

14 JP January 7, 2014 at 1:38 pm

I think if Richard didn’t know it would be an april release, it’s probably not been determined yet. He didn’t have to tweet that in response, but he did, so to me that’s the same thing as denying it.

15 Gibson January 7, 2014 at 1:39 pm

I think the record will be more punk.

16 very metal January 7, 2014 at 2:57 pm

17 squirrel January 7, 2014 at 3:31 pm

@Gibson
I have the same feeling, and hope it’s really loud and raw! (but at this point I’ll take anything lol)
I also agree re: his awkward dance moves and attitude in general – he just doesn’t give a fuck about trends and looking cool by conventional standards; gotta respect that.

18 Dillon January 7, 2014 at 9:54 pm

I just think since Angles The Strokes and Julian specifically are into keeping things as mysterious as they can for as long as possible, but I believe this to be true. Remember in 2012 when everyone (including albert hammond sr and amanda de cadenet) was saying The Strokes were recording a new record, and the bands management denied it to pitchfork? Well then we got comedown machine a few months later, so obviously they were indeed working on a new record.

I expect Voidz to drop this spring, and a single within a couple months. Stoked.

19 Dillon January 7, 2014 at 9:58 pm

why would Julian book solo shows with no new material on the horizon? and why would there be Voidz band photos and reputable publications such as Q Magazine and Stereogum including Jules in their 2014 preview if it wasnt happening?

Seems like a no brainer to me that this is true. Just like when 107.7 the end said they had new strokes songs in their hands and then we got OWT and All the time

20 Matt January 7, 2014 at 11:07 pm

Well I think it’s pretty much a given that Julian will be releasing new material before his shows. It’s just a question of when.

21 yeah January 8, 2014 at 12:44 am

i hope nikolai puts out another solo….i liked his stuff second best from julian’s. i wish people paid more attention, he also seems like the most level headed stroke.

22 Ubu January 8, 2014 at 5:56 am

The new album should be released in March… when he plays here in south america we won’t know any of the new songs.

23 strokesy January 8, 2014 at 3:10 pm

@yeah

I thought Nikolai had only one good song on that record and to me it was Brandy of The Damned! But that song is damn good :p Maybe I need to give the album a second chance..

24 Television January 8, 2014 at 7:27 pm

@ AutomaticStop

That’s exactly why I love Julian on videos. His awkwardness makes it unique. It’s as if it’s on purpose, but it isn’t.

25 ITAO January 9, 2014 at 7:36 am

I think all Julian needs in a music video is a microphone. I think the Instant Crush video would have been much better if he had a mic and mic stand with him. He just looked so awkward shouting random stuff in the air.

26 tenenbaum January 9, 2014 at 8:52 am

i agree, Instant Crush video was kinda miss…too cheesy too predictable.I mean wouldnt it be musch cooler if Julian appeared in the end with his shades on??when did scruffy charm go?

27 TuPapi January 9, 2014 at 10:39 am

All of this, is sad. Fans begging for information and this band and its members playing this endless f*cking game. I don’t want to know what color your socks are or what shades you sport, we just want to know more about THE MUSIC. The single most important reason we’ve followed you.

Your fans allow you to be who you are. The Strokes should value their fans just a portion of what their fans value them.

In terms of quality, I’ll speculate that if Julian had the reigns of the band (like before) we’d be seeing something special. This man is on another level. Instant Crush, Phrazes, ITI, ROF, FIOE, and some Angles/CM songs. Its time other band members accept this fact and let him take the band in the direction he wants. They didnt become great with a collaborative effort. They became great because of this frontman and musical genius guiding them.

28 TuPapi January 9, 2014 at 10:44 am

There is a self-evident internal-struggle going on between (JC-AHjr v Fab, Nick, and Nikolai). From many of AHjr’s recent comments it seems he’s either neutral with both trajectories or he’s semi-supportive of JC taking the reigns. I think AHjr respects JC’s quality that way by how he’s commented on the “collaborative effort.”

29 yeah January 9, 2014 at 11:16 am

@tupapi i think its a bit more complicated than that…i agree with you though. Julian was sending the band in the perfect direction, FIOE was a new sound that had them stay relevant and it seems like people like nick would rather make old strokes songs, like songs people would expect from the strokes, like arctic monkeys or kings of leon type music.

than the egos started to kick in and people went solo, but a reporter confronted julian about that same thing, that he wrote is this it and the band should let him do what he wants, but he said than the band wouldn’t be happy and could fall apart, i feel like the strokes crushed his dreams a little with what he was going to do with the band.
and i think AHJ while he has his own problems (remember he was the first to go solo) is neutral and friendly with everyone in the band.
Nick and fab are obviously close and julian and nikolai both seem distant in their own world. i don’t care as long as julian keeps putting out solo stuff…..but i think that may be the reason for band delay? since julian can’t do what he wants with the band he def focuses more time on his own stuff…which is ok. i need to stop thinking about this stuff….whatever the case is they need to start writing new material, there’s no excuse…i think albertt thinks that 2…julian maybe busy though, but if/when he’s done recording VOIDZ they need to start on the next album..
but artists don’t own their “fans” anything. its just the way they act in interviews is annoying and childish…

30 danedressa January 9, 2014 at 12:51 pm

@TuPapi
everyone knows that they became great because of julian, including all the members of the band. Although, maybe become great was their mean goal back in the 2001 and now that they achieved that, they’re looking in a different way. For god sake, they’re musicians too, they have something to say to the world too, they have individual dreams too. Maybe is not as good as the first work but the latest albums, under a different perspective, are great too.

@yeah
i never expected strokes to sound like arctic monkeys or kings of leon. they’re great bands but don’t sound the same.

another thing is that, who said that they are not going to work on the next album after jules is done with Voidz? all we know about the future of the band is:
1- albert told us that they’re still a band or something around that.
2- albert told us that in some point they will all explain the lack of interviews (lets hope soon)

summing up, no one need to feel skeptical about another strokes album, at least not at the present.

31 Lynn Wiberg January 9, 2014 at 1:05 pm

I’m 100% sure that there will be another Strokes album (though it isn’t owed to you, and it doesn’t need to sound like you want it to). Stop acting like it needs to come out tomorrow though. Comedown Machine isn’t yet a year old and we’ve already had an Albert EP and Julian’s thing should be coming out soon.

32 Tommy Pickles January 9, 2014 at 2:56 pm

@Lynn, THANK YOU. Some people on here seem to feel like they’re so entitled to know whats going on with the Strokes. I don’t think anyone in the Strokes makes music to make fans happy. They make music that they like so they can be happy. I think some people are over estimating how much they think they are worth to the Strokes.

33 Lynn Wiberg January 9, 2014 at 3:38 pm

@Tommy Yeah. If someone doesn’t like the new music, they find something else to listen to. They can put on Is This It. It’s still there. It’s still really great.

34 Andres January 9, 2014 at 5:49 pm

“Comedown Machine isn’t yet a year old and we’ve already had an Albert EP and Julian’s thing should be coming out soon”

THISSSSSSSSSSSSSSS ^^^^^

i am sure he would put some other shows before lolla chile/argentina/brasil, maybe some gigs in new york. If lolla chile is his firts gig i would probably cry.
i really want him to play “tap out” or “machu picchu”

35 Matt January 9, 2014 at 7:36 pm

You’re in luck, Andres. Lots of live Machu Picchu performances on the ‘tubes. Tap Out, not so much.

I’ve been thinking about the instruments used in Tap Out and I believe Nick’s guitar is doing that “wah-wah” synth sound just like how he does the same type of fade in Life is Simple in the Moonlight. So basically, Albert’s guitar is the main one heard, up until the solo where Nick switches from rhythm to lead.

Another interesting note is that they do that fairly often; switch roles (rhythm/lead) during the song. Notable examples include Reptilia, Life is Simple in the Moonlight, New York City Cops, and Hard to Explain. This is fairly irrelevant to the topic at hand, but thought you guys might enjoy it.

I feel we’ve been doing a whole lot of speculation of the albums to be. If anyone would like to step away from that for a bit, I’d love to discuss the instrumentals on Comedown Machine and what the hell is actually going on in some of the songs.

As of the whole “when’s the next album”, I also agree that we should just wait, as further prodding will do no good. We waited for an album after Angles, and they gave us Comedown Machine two years later. I believe we’ve all got the ability to chill out for another year or so. Besides, we’ve gotten AHJ, and are expected to get ‘Voidz’ soon anyhow. More than enough to fill our appetite for a while.

36 MicTosser January 9, 2014 at 10:42 pm

I’m kind of a newbie but I’m really in no rush for new Strokes stuff. I’d freak the hell out if I got to hear some, but I have 5 albums (plus a few B-sides) of songs that haven’t aged for me in the slightest. I’ve liked numerous bands, artists and trends in my life but the Strokes are a constant and pretty much the main music I listen to (with regards to David Bowie).

I like the mystery personally. Hell, the guys were best friends that got famous in a band they started together. It wasn’t like Julian put out a full-page ad in a newspaper and found a couple dudes who had the same interests. They probably spent so much time being tight, then got huge and then grew up a bit. I could see why some of them were frustrated with each other. I can see how the press definitely made things worse and I guarantee a lot of this came from the label. RCA probably was like “guys, hurry this up” and they sucked it up and did it. Then Comedown was them realizing that they are older now (as OWT and ATT kinda suggest), not as crazy but also molding into different individuals instead of a bunch of NYC-lovin’, Old Milwaukee chuggin’, Velvet Underground listen’ guys. People change, its hard to be 35+ and still friends with people you were in your teens.

We were lucky that our favorite band never had a member quit or get kicked out or any of that. No matter how bad it got, even if it was for just the money; they still sucked it up. They will definitely have more albums in the future. But right now we will have another Albert Hammond Jr. EP, a new Julian Casablancas solo album and the other guys seem to be pretty happy right now. Maybe Fab’s art project makes him want to chip in with Albert or Julian.

They probably didn’t handle everything the best but humans, especially ones that shoot at the hip, never do. I’m not owed anything because I love all except two or three songs by them. Bring on Voidz, AHJ 2.0 and it’ll eventually happen.

37 Mike B January 10, 2014 at 2:26 am

@TuPapi
Julian is definitely not on the same page as the others but I think Albert is more neutral in the whole situation. I mean there were events in 2013 where he hung out with the other 3 too so I don’t think it’s anything too serious. Julian definitely is in a tough situation because either he does strokes stuff and only gets to have some input and make a lot of people happy or he does solo stuff where he is 100% the creator but also makes less people happy. I think we wait till voidz comes out then from there we discuss the strokes again because as a lot of people have been saying it’s only been 10 months since CM. I wish nick would release solo stuff as well because not only would it probably be pretty awesome but it would also allow julian to maybe get an even bigger say in Strokes material!

38 Thisissorare January 10, 2014 at 9:16 am

The strokes only released an album less than a year ago. Can’t we view the supposed ‘tension’ as positive? I believe this shows that the members of the band actually care about the music they are making! In the meantime we can enjoy albert and Julian’s creative ventures, no news is good news I say. They owe us little, whatever music is released from them in the future is a bonus.

39 Melodica03 January 10, 2014 at 9:35 am

@stroksey

Nikolai did a great cover of “These Days” by Jackson Browne. Check it out if you haven’t

40 squirrel January 10, 2014 at 2:13 pm

Great post, MicTosser! Agree with every word.

41 God January 10, 2014 at 5:25 pm

It’s official. I have forseen it.

42 God January 10, 2014 at 5:26 pm

One more thing:

This gave me a boner.

43 mateja January 11, 2014 at 6:51 am

I don’t know if he needs money or he just likes to play a lot, but Albert opening for Jake Bugg in an American tour is completely nonsense.

44 Eric Van Dril January 11, 2014 at 8:44 am

@mateja — Why do you say that?

45 God January 11, 2014 at 9:47 am

Albert isn’t as established a solo artist as that Bugg kid. How does it not make sense. It wouldn’t make any sense if it was The Strokes opening for Bugg.

46 squirrel January 11, 2014 at 11:34 am

I actually agree with mateja. That Bugg kid is a) a kid, b) an artist as manufactured as One Direction, only with a ‘retro’ / ‘indie’ twist designed to appeal to a different public, and c) quite frankly not very good. Albert, established solo artist or not, is a member of the band that basically created the ‘indie’ wave Bugg is currently riding on, so — and this is obviously just my opinion — Albert opening up for him is not only completely nonsense but also mildly offensive.

47 MS January 11, 2014 at 12:16 pm

While Jake Bugg isn’t exactly my kind of thing, he is a pretty talented kid. I could be wrong, but I don’t find him manufactured. I’ve looked him up on Youtube and he’s a good guitarist and he is a songwriter, unlike artists like One Direction who I don’t believe are, again I could be wrong.

Check out Bugg on Guitar Moves, the same internet show that Albert was on. It’s more impressive than I thought it would be. It seems a little weird to me as well that Albert is opening for him, but I definitely don’t doubt Bugg’s skills.

48 Mike B January 11, 2014 at 12:43 pm

Jake Bugg is very talented, not the most original artist ever but he definitely is loads better than One Direction. The guy writes his songs and has a really good voice, his first album is definitely worth a listen.
Also I was snooping around twitter the other day and saw new photos of @annie1251 and @themodernage with Julian so if one of them would spill the deets on what happened this time around I would be eternally grateful 🙂

49 squirrel January 11, 2014 at 12:48 pm

Both 1D and Jake Bugg have co-writers. I don’t know how talented any of them are because I don’t think either are in control of what they’re creating (1D to a far greater extent, sure, since the idea there is mass marketing whereas Bugg has a much more specific target audience). Maybe he’s a great guitarist and maybe he’ll potentially become a genius songwriter in the future, but as of now I find his music incredibly derivative and unoriginal, not to mention a clear attempt (and the key word there really is ‘attempt’) at sounding like Bob Dylan.

50 Mike B January 11, 2014 at 1:37 pm

There are sooo many artists out right now that have cowriters I wouldn’t assume that jake bugg isn’t writing any part of his stuff (even a few of his songs have him as the sole writer) He seems to work with some guy named Archer for 80% of his songs. It might be a Bernie Taupin situation. Obviously people can feel as they may about him but I personally have no issue with him and hope he does well and even if he is manufactured which I’m 99% sure he isn’t, at least he is giving young people an idea of how good music sounds like.