UPDATE: Julian Casablancas is (NOT) doing a second solo record (RIGHT NOW)

UPDATE: I did the wrong math. Richard Priest, who’s seen in this photo, wrote the following on his Twitter “yeah, kind of weird ppl thought that (Julian doing second record) from the tweet. He says signing new artists, which is what we did-we signed someone to Cult.”

I’m sorry for getting everybody’s hopes up and making the wrong assumption. I should have been less forward and waited until something was confirmed. In my opinion, I still expect Julian to do a second album, but apparently it’s not going to happen any time soon. I regret the error. UPDATED

Julian tweeted this photo today, along with “Cult office signing new artists…do the math”

The math, quite simply, is that Julian’s doing a second solo record.

You all know Julian, who’s on the left. In the middle, seated, is Warren Fu. Fu was the art director on Phrazes For The Young. He did all of its art, and directed the “11th Dimension” video. Standing to the right, with the pen in his hand, is Richard Priest. Priest was The Strokes’ tour manager for a while until he stepped down while they were promoting Angles. He was Julian’s manager during his time as a solo artist.

In this photo you have artist, art director and manager.

Also, the SXSW profile for Haim, the band which includes Sick Six member Danielle Haim, says “She (Danielle Haim) also toured with Julian Casablancas, and is helping him write material for his upcoming sophomore solo album.”

Who’s excited for Phrazes II?

1 Vinay Palathinkal February 17, 2012 at 8:34 pm

Nooo! Where’s Strokes V? I love the solo work, but Jules needs to commit to the Strokes. He wouldn’t be great without Nickolai, Fab, Nick and Albert. Besides this is kinda speculative if you ask me

2 shadey February 17, 2012 at 8:35 pm

I sincerely hope it’s nothing likes Phrazes.

3 Molly St Clair February 17, 2012 at 8:36 pm

ME! I am SO excited! I love the Strokes, but I really like Julian’s solo work, especially with Warren Fu’s direction for artwork….

Ah! Finally, good news!

4 Joyce Christensen February 17, 2012 at 8:38 pm

Hell Ya!!!! I LOVED his first album! Oh man, I’m so happy, I think I might have crapped my pants when I read this!
In all seriousness, Julian is a musical genius and I’ve loved everything I’ve heard him lay his beautiful voice on!
I can’t wait to hear some tracks!

5 grace February 17, 2012 at 8:38 pm

@Vinay Palathinkal

Yea!! I was just thinking that . . . . . if The Strokes broke up my life would be ruined!!!! Maybe Richard is signing back on to be there manager again? But I wouldn’t get my hopes up.:(

6 Marie February 17, 2012 at 8:44 pm

I have a love hate thing with this. I loved his solo album but I was looking forward to another album with The Strokes. But just him touring is amazing so I am happy! <3

7 Igna lee February 17, 2012 at 8:48 pm

OMG! I loved his first solo album! i’m SO EXITED!! jules is a genius (: i can’t wait for the second!
i love this guy. he’s so perfect <3

8 Mary February 17, 2012 at 8:48 pm

GOOD TIMES!! I’ve been waiting for this, it doesn’t mean there wont be another Strokes album though

9 grace February 17, 2012 at 8:48 pm

P.S. he said artists. Maybe the whole Strokes gang is joining . . . . .?? hmmmm

10 AunomdelaFrance February 17, 2012 at 8:52 pm

He also twitted that his next album will be in french, probably titled” Maximes ├ál’usage de la jeunesse”, ” Deuxieme impression du monde” ou ” chambre en feu”.

Any news of the extended version of Killing Lies ?

11 the modern age February 17, 2012 at 9:04 pm

After that interview he gave in Brazil I’ve been wondering if this was going to happen first. I’m really excited for this!!!

12 Nicki February 17, 2012 at 9:14 pm

@ grace that’s what I’m worried about too! It’s just been so sketchy them not doing a proper tour for angles, only releasing 2 singles when every other album has 3, then they said they were gonna do a US tour and didn’t, now they’ve been saying they’re gonna do strokes 5 but it looks like that’s not happening. It feels like they’re giving up or can’t agree or I dunno. This scares me. I love Jules solo stuff, but I love the strokes more! And I’ve never seen them live and I’m getting really scared that I’m never gonna get to!

13 Matt February 17, 2012 at 9:18 pm

Maybe… He will put “I Like the Night” on this album! I would still rather have a Strokes V.

14 grace February 17, 2012 at 9:22 pm

@nicki Yea, when I saw this I was freaking out. I am really scared!!

15 grace February 17, 2012 at 9:24 pm

@nicki haha sounds kinda cheesy, but i just discovered them last year, and I have become totally obsessed with them!!!

16 Carolyn February 17, 2012 at 9:25 pm

Really worries me that there hasn’t been any talk of Strokes V especially since they made it seem like they wanted to start working on it right after the Angles tour. Maybe they’re keeping it under wraps. I don’t know how I feel about this.
Can’t believe it’s been a year since all the Angles excitement, I loved waking up to Strokes news every day.

17 Nicki February 17, 2012 at 9:35 pm

@ grace hahaha exact same with me! I only discovered them like 2 months before angles came out and it makes me really sad that I missed out on so many years of listening to them and so many shows I could’ve gone to!

18 Vinay Palathinkal February 17, 2012 at 9:49 pm

@Eric Van Dril

Eric, I think this is photograph doesn’t provide enough cause to speculate so much. Fu and Priest are collaborators with Cult. Their first record was Phrazes. This signing may just be Cult’s follow up album, with a new artist, like Julian said. So this time, he’s the producer. Maybe a debut signing that’s worth keeping an eye out for!

19 Nick February 17, 2012 at 10:04 pm

I haven’t posted on here in a while, basically since the angles anticipation era. I still check every day though and fully expected to see that picture of albert on her again when I came on tonight and I am off my rocker excited by the news of a potential Phrazes II coming into fruition.

Everyone knows that Julian would do another record, but the big question was would we get Strokes V first? I personally hope this is what it looks like and we’ll get a Phrazes II first. I’ve actually been thinking about this a lot lately. I loved the phrazes for the young era with julian and would just love to see a solo show of his again. Part of the reason I hope he puts another solo record out first is because I fully believe that these guys hate each other and are doing this because they have to and if their 5th album comes out (which they are under contract for) i hope it’s put off because i feel that it will be their last. The other reason is the simple fact that i loved his first solo record and would love to see what becomes of his next project. This guy knows what he’s doing and I’m just as excited about a Juilan solo record as I am about another Strokes ‘community-made’ record.

20 Vinay Palathinkal February 17, 2012 at 10:05 pm

@ Eric Van Dril

Yup, it’s 100% confirmed- this post is not true- Cult is signing a new artist, not Julian. Richard Priest (man pictured) says on his official twitter account (https://twitter.com/#!/RichPriest) “He (julian) says signing new artists, which is what we did- we signed someone to Cult.” he adds “it’s kind of wierd what ppl think”

Please edit the article to avoid the needless fuss.

21 Nicki February 17, 2012 at 10:10 pm

Thank you vinay!!! For clearing that up! I feel much better now! :D

22 CM February 17, 2012 at 10:18 pm

Rich Priest to the rescue!!!!

So many “Ohmygodohmygodohmygodohmygod”‘s came out of my mouth reading that headline. I, too, still check this site daily hoping for happy new Strokes info. The nail in the coffin that Phrazes II would be would be… well, devastating is a bit strong, but…

I’m still so relieved right now.

23 Nicki February 17, 2012 at 10:24 pm

I don’t think devastating is too strong cm. I was about to cry myself to sleep but then I saw vinay’s comment. So so so releived!

24 Vinay Palathinkal February 17, 2012 at 10:34 pm

Cheers! I’m passionate about the Strokes and it seems like Eric needs to interpret Jules a bit better. I’m looking forward to the new artist whatta about you @Nicki ?

25 Nicki February 17, 2012 at 11:02 pm

@ vinay yeah defiantly like you said worth keeping an eye out for! Jules is a genious so it would make sense that any artist he would sign is probly gonna be pretty amazing!

26 Jacob R February 18, 2012 at 1:40 am

Julian has stated countless times that all he wants to do is make music. Its the others with their “lives” that screw everything up. Julian has a kid and a wife and he can still make music just fine. I swear the other members of the Strokes AS A WHOLE come off as being just assholes. Its like he said in 11th dimension: Don’t you dare get to the top and not know what to do <== That's the others.

27 the modern age February 18, 2012 at 5:43 am

Julian really confused everyone, didn’t he? Lol. I feel bad saying this b/c I did enjoy Angles, but I’m kind of more excited for his next solo effort. I’m not really expecting Strokes V to be amazing, but there’s no doubt in my mind Julian’s next one will be incredible.

28 the modern age February 18, 2012 at 5:48 am

I’m actually a little disappointed now …. I have a feeling Julian would have put out his next record quicker than Strokes V. Oh well.

29 grace February 18, 2012 at 4:02 pm

Yea!! I feel so much better . . . . I was thinking about this all day.

30 Klarissa February 19, 2012 at 2:10 pm

HECK YESS!!!! :D SOO FRICKIN EXCITED!!!! :D I LOVE The Strokes, but I also love Julian’s solo work :)

31 Jo May 2, 2012 at 8:38 am

It’s funny I feel the opposite, I always liked Julian as a singer but I could never get into the strokes as I didn’t enjoy the instrumentation, Julian’s solo album was brilliant.

32 kore dizileri izle July 24, 2012 at 9:01 pm

i bookmarked you in my browser admin thank you a lot i is going to be in search of your following posts

33 Korey July 25, 2012 at 4:40 pm

you are really quantity one admin your blogging is remarkable i generally check out your webpage i am certain you will probably be the most effective