Julian Casablancas Didn’t Record Full Version Of ‘I Like The Night’

Strokes fan Luc ran into Julian in New York today and asked him when the world can expect the full version of I Like The Night, the song he recorded for Azzaro cologne.

This is the full tweet, which was sent to @TheStrokes_Fans:

@TheStrokes_Fans ran into jules in NYC tonight. THERE IS NO FULL “I LIKE THE NIGHT”. HE JUST RECORDED THAT PART. he told me when i asked.

(Note: This could all be a hoax. Probably not, but it’s possible. The Internet is the Internet, after all.)

1 Alex December 20, 2011 at 10:15 pm

This is definately sad and disappointing news. I wish there would be a full song of it. IT SOUNDED SO GOOD!

2 Andres December 20, 2011 at 10:18 pm

3 Izzy December 20, 2011 at 10:55 pm

Such a disappointment… :( Fuuudge! It would’ve been a one hit wonder! Lol.

I was really expecting a full version 2012. Well, at least I was able to make a ringtone outta it. @IzzytoExplain.

4 DiamondCutsHerEye December 20, 2011 at 11:37 pm

No… why? ;(

5 Marchelle December 20, 2011 at 11:51 pm

why would he lie to us.

6 shadey December 21, 2011 at 6:51 am

Lol what a liar! Damn it, Julian :P

7 the modern age December 21, 2011 at 7:02 am

Oh for fuck sake. I’m not all that surprised at this point, although I was hoping he was just being moody about it in that recent interview.

8 Gabe December 21, 2011 at 8:33 am

Yeah, I don’t think this is true. In the behind the scenes video where we see JC record the song we clearly see written on a white board an outline of a song:

Intro
V1 (verse 1)
V2
PC (pre-chorus)
CH (chorus)

We’re definitely not hearing all of this in the commercials.
Also in that same video we watch Julian recording vocals and he sings lyrics that are not in Azzaro commercials.

So yeah…I’m still holding out for the full song.

9 Melodica03 December 21, 2011 at 9:15 am

This definitely not true. I work in a recording studio and we do stuff for commercials all the time and you never record just what you need. You would record more than likely an entire song and then slice up what you want from it for your commercial. This way you can make any length commercial you want. This is more than likely not correct.

10 Julie December 21, 2011 at 9:56 am

you’re both right, but he probably means he hasn’t completely mixed/mastered a version he wants to release, or isn’t happy with what he has put together.

11 Julie December 21, 2011 at 9:57 am

or he just isn’t excited about it like everyone else is.

12 Ryan December 21, 2011 at 10:23 am

why does anyone give a shit?

13 AunomdelaFrance December 21, 2011 at 5:56 pm

@TheStrokes_Fans ran into jules in Paris six month ago. HE THINKS FRANCE HAS THE BEST CHEESE IN THE WORLD. he told me when i asked.

14 Bobby December 21, 2011 at 7:22 pm

I find it hard to believe that he would just write a 30-50 second clip and call it a day. Doesn’t the song fade out at the end of the commercial?

15 Gabe December 21, 2011 at 8:32 pm

Also, this is Julian we’re talking about….this is all coming from the guy who can’t remember the words to his own songs half the time. Someone ask Alex Carapetis what was recorded. He’s a much more reliable source. :D

16 Tannk December 22, 2011 at 1:53 am

@gabe. I completely agree.
at the worst someone can take the acapella second verse and mix it over the instrumental to get an idea of what the full song would sound like..

17 Olivia December 22, 2011 at 1:36 pm

Ugh… I do hope that there is a fulllll song. Why would they only record 30 sec of a song? And spend all that time writing/making the song?

18 mindovertime December 22, 2011 at 3:34 pm

@ gabe- This is not a full song:
Intro
V1 (verse 1)
V2
PC (pre-chorus)
CH (chorus)

Also, why ask such a dumb question? Why not ask about Strokes V or ask what hes working on at the moment…nobody really gives a shit about this song. Its cool, but I would much rather hear about plans for the future.

19 CM December 22, 2011 at 4:20 pm

I’m holding out hope that this’ll get re-worked for Strokes V, and that’s why we aren’t getting a full song now. Okay, maybe not holding out hope so much as desperately clinging to straws.

20 Skye December 22, 2011 at 4:30 pm

Yeah, I’ll take this with a grain of salt. But if it is true, I’m not terribly disappointed. I mean, what we heard sounded cool and everything, but not so amazing that I need the whole thing. Let’s hear more about Strokes V! :D

21 Dillon December 22, 2011 at 5:22 pm

I definitly cant imagine them having recorded only part of the song , but it seems like it wont be released at this point. I really wonder what their collective (or individual) next moves will be musically.
and this is a little off topic but i was just watching this interview again and they seemed fairly sure about a “long tour” in the fall and then this fall they played like four shows on different continents. I wonder what happened

22 Dillon December 22, 2011 at 11:03 pm

also that danny masterson tweet made me happy cause Killing Lies is my favorite strokes song as well

23 Daniel December 22, 2011 at 11:54 pm

yeahhhh

24 Daniel December 22, 2011 at 11:55 pm

Watch this video of Julian performing “Out Of The Blue” with The Roots.

25 Louis December 28, 2011 at 8:55 pm

You guys think it´ll ever be a 3rd single?

26 tank December 29, 2011 at 1:41 pm

No I guess this will be the first album without a third single. It should be MC or LISITM

27 Other Bobby December 30, 2011 at 9:12 am

Honestly I can’t wait another full year for another Strokes or Strokes solo album. They’re soooo good but they’re not productive enough. Make more music guys!

28 luis December 31, 2011 at 11:12 pm

Further proof that the strokes seriously do not care about there fans.

29 Mateja January 1, 2012 at 7:31 pm

Was boring during a long distance trip and had the idea of make my top 5 of TIOLI live perfomances. Here it goes..

5. @ Summersonic 2003 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g5EykaMaCSw)

4. @ MTV’S $2 Bill 2002 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C0qls7b5oAY)

3. @ Verizon Wireless Amphitheater 2004 “Give me back my necklace please?” (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z8tvxzcA8gg)

2. @ Letterman ¿2002? (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=csD4ZgMPgvg)

1. @ Isle of Wight 2010 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fyvywfbYcaA)

Bonus Track: Live in Hawaii (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pe-pJ6gqmH0)

Enjoy it (?)

30 wolfman January 2, 2012 at 8:27 pm

this site has some cool julis pics: http://fuckyeahjuliancasablancas.tumblr.com/

31 Bernardo R. January 2, 2012 at 10:05 pm

Well because there hasn’t been any news lately, here’s a performance of Under Control that I barely stumbled upon today :o

32 wolfman January 4, 2012 at 12:29 am

biggest letdown of the year: new official website design. so dull

33 Caz January 4, 2012 at 7:40 am

@wolfman great looking site*. Where do I find more just like it**?
*guy/**him

34 heather January 4, 2012 at 5:30 pm

@ Caz-Just type in Julian Casablancas Tumblr or The Strokes Tumblr . There are tons of them.

35 Sarah January 5, 2012 at 5:09 pm

So I went to Tumblr and saw this: http://www.fender.com/en-GB/products/select, flame maple is the best… it has some UCOD vid atmosphere, and why there’s only one meal for two, and why they’re drinking bottles of perfume (hint, no? Ok…), and why Albert is so sexy even with short pants and: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VzUU7SRRsGo&feature=related, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FOt3r_aNNxE&feature=related

36 Nick January 6, 2012 at 8:04 pm

@wolfman

one of my biggest gripes, maybe the biggest with the return of the band is the new website design. i really loved the albums section in the past with all the interactive artwork, like with the monkeys and astronauts i was looking foward to see what angles representation would be. instead they redesign the whole sight and it is so uninteresting, what a disappointment!

37 wolfman January 7, 2012 at 2:01 am

award for the exact date the strokes “sold out” lol: http://lockerz.com/s/171956335

38 wolfman January 10, 2012 at 11:51 am

hey guys, i know this might sound like a shameless self-plug, but my band recorded a new demo, and i’d be really interested in what fellow strokes fanatics think. obviously, julian and the strokes have changed my life and inspired me to make music myself, and they are a huge influence. any feedback would be infinitely appreciated.

you can listen here: myspace.com/wmatac

thank you!!!

39 weston January 12, 2012 at 12:29 am

dayum, when am i going to hear some real news about teh strokes. i havent heard anythign interesting since summer

40 dfjgkldf January 12, 2012 at 1:55 pm

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO, WHYYYYYYYYY, POR QUÉEEEEEEE? :(

41 Nan January 13, 2012 at 9:46 am

@N_Fraiture: what’s the gayest, most pointless question I can ask you, in your experience?

What is wrong with some of you? Im more convinced every day that Eric is really a 16 year old chic.

42 Christopher January 13, 2012 at 11:30 pm

Hey guys, i saw something on Amazon.com called The Strokes: The Lowdown. It said it was a 2 disc cd biography with interviews and a poster. Have anyone else heard about it, or know anything else?

43 H January 14, 2012 at 11:55 am

So I said, ‘Hey babe, take a walk on the wild side’.

Strokes cover Lou Reed:

44 Connor P. January 16, 2012 at 12:09 pm

Did anyone see The Strokes were the 7th most listened to artist on last.fm this year? http://www.last.fm/bestof/2011/artists

45 kore dizileri izle July 24, 2012 at 9:15 am

I used to be curious about your up coming submit admin seriously essential this webpage super remarkable blog site

46 Kyle July 25, 2012 at 4:08 pm

I was curious about your next put up admin truly wanted this web site super remarkable website

47 Recetas de cocina July 27, 2012 at 7:52 am

Yeah bookmaking this wasn

48 weight loss Pills February 17, 2013 at 5:58 pm

So when the wax into the app including those set goals and
to raspberry ketones so a weight from your goals right you give up on your
way. In addition, many people decide to go by a doctor.
Also, keep them in your diet, their cortisol hormone levels to normalize.

Protein Shake RecipeI am personally very fond of eating.

49 Http://Ketoneraspberrytips.Com February 20, 2013 at 4:07 am

Exercise Increases the Quality of ingredients for two minutes in on the way to raspberry ketones, but it’s not very helpful in supporting the natural supplements – even when you’re at it for yourself.