Interviews: Albert Hammond Jr. and Nikolai Fraiture at Super Bock Super Rock

Niko: “Different songs work in different places.” / “It’s more like we don’t throw up and diarrhea before the show.”

Albert: “It’s not extra material we had then. It was the same thing as after Is This It and Room on Fire. You just start working on new stuff. I imagine, hopefully, we can go record it [by] the end of the year, beginning of next year. I don’t know when it would be out, though.”

Thank you to @TheStrokes_Fans for ripping both interviews.

I’ll post live video from Super Bock Super Rock tomorrow.

1 Beth July 17, 2011 at 8:15 am

Thanks for posting these! Nikolai couldn’t sound more bored in the latest festival interviews with him. I really wish journalists would ask for fan questions more often, as they tend to be far more interesting and fun, and push beyond the usual crap any seasoned strokes fan has been hearing for the past 6 months or so. I guess we’re very (VERY!) gradually being fed small updates such as albert’s suggestion they may be recording by the end of the year.

2 Lulu July 17, 2011 at 11:29 am

@Beth, Nikolai is not bored. Guys, get to know this band. That is Nikolai. That’s how he is. All the time.

Nick, roaming around the stage? That’s how he is, since the beginning.

Nikolai is not bored. Nikolai is just being himself. Nick is just being himself. Watch some old footage. Listen to Nikolai’s interviews. And if you have been listening to the interviews, you know they are figuring out about a U.S. Tour. So that will impact when they record. We are not being FED SMALL UPDATES.

We are being provided real updates but two guys who have been doing festivals in Europe now for about three weeks. Two guys who are probably very tired, in fact, I think Albert said he was tired.

I will admit, I have at times been super critical about the low energy concerts. But when The Strokes came roaring back at Bonnaroo, and suddenly had it together, I was impressed.

So here is my official apology for my impatience. The Strokes have been working just to pull everything back together. I think it’s happening and I am super glad.

I was not around when the first three albums were happening. Too young. But I am around now and I am committed to learning about them through videos, concerts and interviews.

Let me reaffirm @Beth, you just don’t know this band. But you can. Those criticisms just show you need to watch some old concerts and some recent interviews.

3 Mateja July 17, 2011 at 11:39 am

Tonight, probably during the Arcade Fire gig, the portuguese tv is going to be showing The Strokes concert, like they did it yesterday with the Monkeys one

And the Benicassim perfomance is go to be part of the MTV World Stage, idk when.

4 Beth July 17, 2011 at 12:46 pm

Woah @lulu chill out! I don’t blame nikolai in the slightest, i’d be not only bored but pissed off whereas he’s had the patience to put up with the same barrage of questions at almost every interview, namely band tensions, the recording process, what it’s like to be performing at a festival. I’m not asking nikolai to start doing hand stands during interviews i’m just saying i wish the interviewer would come up with better questions. I never even mentioned nick so not sure what you’re talking about there. And have been a huge strokes fan since i first caught them at a gig in 2002, there’s no problem there. I wouldn’t be checking this site otherwise.

5 Tom July 17, 2011 at 1:02 pm

@lulu, i think that telling someone that they ‘don’t know this band’, comes across as condescending, and to be perfectly honest, slightly rude. Not to mention the fact that it comes across as a fairly patronising attempt to elevate the importance of your own opinion above somebody else’s.

6 alx. July 17, 2011 at 1:35 pm

@lulu Chill out…who is Nikolai your cousin? We know and like this band too…relax.

Taken for a fool is blastin on the toxic radio over here in Argentina, I’m pretty happy.

7 Tess July 17, 2011 at 4:30 pm

Sure an artist will get a bit bored after they get asked too many of the same questions, but unfortunately it happens and it’s part of the deal I guess. The chance of this working out is very slim, but if I do get to interview one of the guys in Paris on Wednesday… what would everyone like to ask them? If it does happen, who knows I might ask a couple of those questions.

8 Lulu July 17, 2011 at 4:45 pm

Hey tom, you sound a little condescending yourself.

Nope, not going to apologize or backdown. My opinion is my opinion. If you want to elevate it or demote it is your choice.

You know, I may be sixteen, but I’m not changing my position. I’m not backing down.

Here’s my question, Tess. Since Albert does most of the interviews, I would like to know if within the confines of the politics of The Strokes does he see an enhanced opportunity for more Albert riffs. Honestly, I love Nikolai, who is not my cousin, but I really am liking the hard rock ‘n’ roll riffs Albert does.

He just does not get enough time to do them, in my opinion. I am sure he will be polite and say Nikolai is the better guitarist, he always does, but I hope you reply, you know Albert in the past ten years you have really evolved and that position just does not work anymore.

Now, can we have more albert riffs? Or, no.

9 Mateja July 17, 2011 at 4:59 pm

@alx Really? Which radio? I heard Machu Picchu in Blue FM and OCoD in Metro, but never Taken for a Fool.

10 Ben July 17, 2011 at 8:02 pm

This thread is really sad.

11 Tom July 17, 2011 at 8:25 pm

@lulu, I’m in no way trying to dismiss your opinion or say it’s below my own – differing views and thoughts should be encouraged on sites like this one. The only person who was ‘demoting’ anyone else’s opinion was you, in your response to Beth’s completely reasonable post. I mean, it wouldn’t be too much to ask for a question that broke from the norm once in awhile, would it?
And your age isn’t really all that relevant, i’m also 16 and don’t find it necessary to instruct other people to ‘learn about a band’ that they obviously are a big fan of, just because they disagree on a certain point.
And Tess, my question would be whether, with all their past troubles with a variety of producers, would the band ever consider working with another renowned producer again, or do they plan to continue in the same vein as the majority of the Angles process, and do it themselves for album 5?

12 Lulu July 17, 2011 at 9:51 pm

Hey Tom … really? Read your post. Are you like the Post Police now, or just the Manners Police. Condescension continues to be your source of self actualization. Good for you. Just not at my expense, cause I am not move by anything except revulsion. Not impressed, not influenced and not interested.

I stand by my post. I don’t care how long someone has been following this band.

That’s Nickolai.

And Tom, hey, go find someone else to put down and INSTRUCT on how to respond and post. Cause with me, I am one hundred percent behind my opinion. Until you are the official Police of Posts … off my case. No positive results here, buddy.

13 TheMondo July 18, 2011 at 12:25 am

hey Lulu you spelled Nikolai wrong. guess you dont know him as well as you thought <3

14 Darth Vader July 18, 2011 at 5:44 am

Lulu, Tom was actually being really nice and reasonable in his responses to you. Do you understand what condescending means? Doesn’t seem like it. You can stay on here and troll all you like but at least try to make it interesting and funny when you do.

Also, maybe you should try to “get to know” the Strokes a little better yourself. Albert never says Nikolai is a better guitarist then him during his interviews. He claims that Nick Valensi is. So why don’t you stop being such a tool and a troll and actually discuss rather than provoke the other posters. The only thing we can all really deduce from you being 16 is that you are a very immature 16 year old. Get a clue.

15 Jj July 18, 2011 at 8:04 am

I miss julian interviews.

16 Sarah July 18, 2011 at 9:20 am

Hey, there’s no big deal, we’re talking about music, it should be fun.
Besides this European tour is almost over and it was great…let’s enjoy the last dates…

Can’t wait to be on Wednesday where I’m going to:
- hear all Strokes’ songs live and get my ears buzzed
- enjoy a real gig in a venue
- sing along to my favorites songs
- see how tall they all are for real… ;-)

If I had one question to ask them, it would be: are they as much excited/nervous/shaken/electrified/thrilled as we are before gigs?
It’s such a great sensation…

17 Deirg July 18, 2011 at 8:53 pm

Keep it in your pants @lulu. We’re all fans here and that’s why we come to visit this site in the first place so kust stop arguing with everyone and, i don’t know, talk about your feelings over milk and cookies or watch Oprah or something… just trying to diffuse the tension lol

18 Tess (Tirtsa) July 22, 2011 at 5:12 am

Well I’m back from Paris without an interview unfortunately, although I did write down some of the questions up here. The management / record label only allowed 30 minutes to talk to the press in the end and obviously those 30 minutes were given to French media only. Giving 5 – 10 minutes to Dutch media didn’t seem fair I guess, so I’m ok with that. Only rather annoying thing was that even the guestlist now had a waiting list, so there was a chance I wouldn’t even get in. So I ended up having to buy a ticket from someone outside.

My review will follow shortly.

19 kore dizileri izle July 24, 2012 at 6:02 pm

Great article admin thank you. I located what i was looking for right here. I’ll review total of posts with this evening

20 Jolynn July 25, 2012 at 4:31 pm

i bookmarked you in my browser admin thank you so much i will be looking for your future posts