Interview: Julian Casablancas on Beats 1 with Zane Lowe (June 7, 2016)

The pair talk about several things, including that The Strokes stopped making a video for ‘OBLIVIUS’

He also mentions that Warren Fu is directing a video for ‘Threat of Joy’.

1 Mikey B June 7, 2016 at 1:18 pm
2 Tannk June 7, 2016 at 1:25 pm

He sounds like he’s so happy. Completely different interview / live personality than a couple years ago!

3 wilson June 7, 2016 at 4:53 pm

First off, thanks for the post. It was really cool to hear a upbeat Jules talk about The Strokes. It seems like they are bound for bigger things and in a healthy way. I was really happy to hear his upfront but sincere approach to festivals. I think he accepts the hardships of what he’s trying to do with his record label, but he’s also excited to stay hungry as an artist. I think he really cares about music and has found confidence and maybe peace with his past.

I’m excited for the band. Hope you guys are happy.

4 gS June 7, 2016 at 5:02 pm

This EP is so solid. Granted it’s only three songs, but they nailed all three. DQ is my favorite by far. Love that guitar and the vocals.

5 LeavingIt June 7, 2016 at 8:44 pm

Seems like most people liked DQ the least at first (and I saw on on-line poll that confirmed that), but it started rising to the top for me pretty quickly (love that beat!) and has pretty much stayed there. Meanwhile, I find OBLIVIUS to be the least memorable. The other two take turns playing in my head.

BTW, I didn’t check with my local indie stores on the blue vinyl until Monday, and by then the first place had already sold out. (Of vinyl. They didn’t know if it had been colored or not.) They said they were ordering more. But the second place didn’t seem to ever have gotten any, and said they couldn’t even order it. Wow.

6 gS June 7, 2016 at 8:53 pm

Threat of Joy is equally joyful to listen to. But DQ has voidz written all over it, which really means Julian written all over it. The Strokes sound so fucking good on it–like all the band members. If they can at least let Julian sit in the drivers seat, I think we’d get some awesome fucking music because as a band, I think the members of the Strokes are more talented than the voidz.

7 j June 7, 2016 at 11:30 pm

julian said fab and nick wrote drag queen on that triple j interview. I’m sure he had a lot to do with the overall production though and of course his vocals, both of which make it more voidz esque.

8 Annie 1251 June 8, 2016 at 5:18 am

Here’s the Triple J interview

*Julian says he has a folder of Strokes ideas-
a FOLDER. good lord.

@j & @gs
Regarding the FPP songs he said
“One of them- DQ- Fab and Nick – a track they had kind of come up with- and I just kind of expanded on that. We did it live-but it came from a little bit all over the place”

Sounds to me that @gs is getting their wish. I do think Julian is in the drivers seat here again with TS.
GOOD.

@gs
I was struck at the Capitol (indoor show) by how tight TS play- from years playing together but also their particuar style. I see now why Julian wanted his voice to be “another instrument” (with them) for years.
The wall of sound blasting out to me was almost like ONE sound- if that makes sense? esp on the old songs-like Reptilia.
It was mindblowing.
But they -like Julian mentioned in the interview-have known each other for years. and TS is the band they ALL started playing music in.
It’s like an old puzzle where the pieces fit.

But then I think back to the Voidz Hammerstein show. also an incredible show. The Voidz sound/style is so much looser-for many reasons. Each of them is a very accomplished musician/have all played and have been (and are in) other bands. They are all writers and contribute ideas to the songs. and Julian seems to love the jamming JCVZ does-said he “secretly hopes” to have them jam on stage one day.
The Voidz members are very talented, and I think Julian loves the diverse musical expertise he gets with the Voidz.

TS and JCVZ:
Different musical experiences for him.
Lots of great music for US 🙂

9 Eric Van Dril June 8, 2016 at 6:00 am

thank you. I just posted the interview.

10 LeavingIt June 8, 2016 at 9:50 pm

Testing… testing… 1 2 3… (Haven’t been able to get in.)