Interview: Albert Hammond Jr. Breaks The Hearts Of UK Fans Hoping For A Winter Tour

Albert on a possible UK tour: “Our own shows? I don’t know. Probably on the next album cycle.”

Of course the interviewer doesn’t ask a follow-up because, you know, what Albert would name his cow is so much more interesting. F— him.

(Thanks to TS_F for uploading.)

Watch The Strokes’ triumphant set at Reading here.

1 Mary Shea August 28, 2011 at 12:30 pm

It’s a bummer, but I do sort of like the idea of them finishing up their five album contract as quickly as possible. Plus, personally, there are very few songs from Angles that I’d want to hear live.

“Are you being awkward and not playing some of the hits?” ahahah

2 bullshit August 28, 2011 at 12:47 pm

hey asshole it’s not the interviewers fault it was fan questions… douche.

3 Eric Van Dril August 28, 2011 at 12:52 pm

Hey bullshit, the BBC certainly got hundreds of questions from fans. He should have picked something a little more entertaining than what would Albert call his pet cow.

4 SuperFan August 28, 2011 at 1:34 pm

Eric, I agree with you. The interviewer could have done his job a little better. He knows everyone wants to know where/when they’re touring next (even though the Strokes never give any details away…) but he could have tried a little harder, or at least come up with a better question than the name of a fictitious pet cow. I’ve accepted that there won’t be a US tour for a while… hopefully “the next album cycle” Albert mentioned will start in the states :(

5 Mick August 28, 2011 at 1:41 pm

This is a very disappointing. If they are taking a break to work on the fifth album, then that is one thing. However, if they are taking a break so Julian can put out a new solo album and tour to support it, then I am going to be very upset. I like Julian’s solo stuff, but it is nowhere near the caliber of the Strokes. They are just now rounding into form. When I saw them in New Orleans earlier this summer, they were good. Now they sound incredible. The Reading set was the best I have seen. Nick finally looks into it. Julian’s voice has never sounded better. I just hope they keep working and keep the momentum going. Now is not the time for more mediocre solo albums.

6 Mick August 28, 2011 at 1:42 pm

Albert’s quote “our own shows?” is why I am thinking Julian may be doing another solo album next.

7 Ron August 28, 2011 at 2:13 pm

Naw B, he’s talking about personal ‘The Strokes’ shows, as opposed to the festivals they’ve been playing. I don’t even thing Julian has many plans for a follow-up solo album at this point.

8 Gimli August 28, 2011 at 4:57 pm

Ron’s right. And besides if Julian wanted to get going on a second solo album, the smart thing to do would be to get the 5th strokes album done as soon as possible so that he’d be able to move on and have unlimited time to work on his own.

9 Skye August 28, 2011 at 6:14 pm

Everyone seems to be talking about Julian doing another solo album. Has he ever actually said or hinted that he is doing another one? I mean, beyond saying that he really enjoyed making the first one? Or am I missing something?

10 SuperFan August 28, 2011 at 7:26 pm

Skye, Julian has hinted (slightly) at another solo record somewhere (I’m sorry I don’t have a reference to back that up, I just remember reading a short interview Eric posted a while ago), and I certainly think he can/will pull it off. But I agree with Gimli that Strokes V is probably the priority, especially since, according to NME, they have the 5 album contract. I think by saying “our own shows?” Albert was talking about this fall/winter. They Strokes are definitely back and they know fans want more. I really think if Julian does another solo record it won’t be for a few more years.

11 SuperFan August 28, 2011 at 7:42 pm

I meant to add…. Julian has been talking/laughing a lot more lately and Nick has been totally into it (rather thank looking so pissed off). You can tell they’re having fun together again- that’s a gooooood sign!!! I highly doubt Strokes V will be out before the Spring but I don’t think it will be much later than that. I know they’re doing all these festivals because the offers were so crazy (Julian came out and said this in an interview with Amplified not too long before Angles was finished- it’s on You Tube) but they also keep saying they don’t want to lose momentum by waiting too long to release the next record.

12 Skye August 28, 2011 at 8:01 pm

SuperFan- Thanks! I must have missed that article! They definitely do seem to be enjoying themselves and they sound flippin’ amazing, so I’m going to be positive. And as for Julian, I loved his first album and it would be cool if he did another one, but in reading comments here and elsewhere people seem to act like it’s going to happen immediately or that if he did one, it would be the ultimate end of The Strokes which seems a bit … melodramatic to me.

13 TheMondo August 28, 2011 at 9:10 pm

Naw guys Julian said in the French interview that he’s ready to work on Strokes V with his handy dandy recorder. Hopefully he’s at the helm again and gets shit done. I’m kinda bummed to see them take a break after getting so much momentum in Europe though :/ A US tour would be perfect right about now.

14 mateja August 29, 2011 at 2:19 am

Here is Nikolai talking about Strokes V..

Very low expectations for this one.. Sorry, but that’s not way to make an album. I understood it when they came together after the long break, they grew as a people in different paths, they wanted to show that in the record, the five different people thing and bla bla. But now, you keep being an entity, even if you don’t want to be part of that one. This doesn’t mean Julian should do everything again, but at least they should word as a block to do something more homogeneous. This thing of having all these separated parts and piece it together like a puzzle smells like another Angles, and as much i like it in first term, that is not what i’m waiting for a “second” album. And it’s definitely not what the world is expecting from them neither.

“Some people are bringing in stuff, some are not.” This is not good at all, because i’m sure we all suspect one of the guys is not contributing with stuff is the one who should be more involved if we want to have a decent record out there.

“But we hope to release it as soon as possible.” That’s another thing i can’t understand. What’s the rush? Not to “lose the momentum”? Is “the momentum” so fragile that can’t fit with the natural times of a record creation? I could understand it from fans.. “yes we want another record now” “i can’t wait to here new songs” and other things, but why from the band? Release records so continued is not a good thing at all, ask Weezer if it is. The theory about the contract they want to finish starts to make a lot of sense when reading this sings…

Anyway, maybe have this low expectations is a good thing ahead to the new record release. I recommend everyone to get in the same mood and not to wait for a masterpiece or something near that. There’s always hope for a surprise with these guys, but till now, all states they’re going to put an average record out there.

15 annie August 29, 2011 at 6:07 am

Ah shit, i was sad to hear this. He implied in a recent interview at a festival that they would be doing one. It’s hard to tell if the ‘our own shows’ refers to them as a band playing together or shows they produce themselves as oppose to through festivals. I hope it’s the latter. I wouldn’t be surprised if Julian releases another solo album before the next Strokes record as it would help him to build his solo name and get him more exposure by wedging his solo efforts between Strokes albums compared to Phrazes where he really had to remind people who he was. They do seem to be performing really well together lately and having a good time. I’d obviously rather they just stuck with the Strokes but in some ways, if they’re going to insist on doing their solo things then i’d rather they did them between Strokes albums as it might help keep them together if they have breaks to play around with different sounds. I’d rather that than them rushing the next album just to get through their contract as they’ll probably never sign a new one if that’s their attitude.
P.S. Can anyone see what the latest picture is that Julian tweeted? It seems to be a police car…

16 annie August 29, 2011 at 6:10 am

And yeah, i totally agree that the questions were pretty shit. It’s always the same though, they so rarely nail the questions or press for a proper answer beyond the usual.

17 SuperFan August 29, 2011 at 8:24 am

Annie, I saw the police par pic- not sure how that was a “you’re welcome” in reponse to a “thank you”? Julian does tweet with a sarcastic sense of humor most of the time. Was anyone else able to interpret that somehow?

18 lulu August 29, 2011 at 10:16 am

@Ron, I think you are exactly right. He is talking about The Strokes shows like the MSG show, when he says, “Our Own Shows.” He is contrasting “Our Own Shows” with the festivals they have been playing.

MSG is an example of “Our Own Show” for The Strokes.

19 wolfman August 29, 2011 at 11:22 am

does this rule out a us tour as well?

20 SuperFan August 29, 2011 at 12:13 pm

@wolfman, I don’t think so. Here’s a link to the interview where Julian says the 2011 festivals were basically for the cash… (right around 6:03) I feel like this is why they’re NOT doing their own shows (rather than festivals) right now.

However, I don’t think this is foreshadowing for the future. Albert says their “own shows” will be in “the next album cycle” which sucks, because we (in the US) have to wait, but at least we know they’re planning on doing it. They say they want to get Strokes V out soon, so maybe it will be next year (fingers crossed).

21 SuperFan August 29, 2011 at 12:21 pm

Oh, and in that interview Julian says they don’t want to rush too much to put out a record (referring to Angles, at the time of the interview), and how they rushed to release ROF since they didn’t want it out around xmas, and compete with the xmas records everyone else puts out around that time of year. He says his newer outlook on releasing a record is “it’s not when you do it, it’s what you do.”

Bring this around to the Strokes V and what they’ve all said, sounds like they’re not rushing too much, but they don’t want to wait forever. Nick has said he would have it out by the end of 2011 if it were his choice but, with Julian’s “it’s not when you do it, it’s what you do” thing I’m thinking it will be 2012.

22 if you can't understand the sarcasm and humor in a cop car tweet August 29, 2011 at 10:30 pm

you need to relax. jeez, if this were 60s dylan, your head would explode all over your keyboard.

23 Cory August 30, 2011 at 8:25 am

Was it just me, or did Lady Gaga remind you of Julian Casablancas (ISI era) at the MTV VMA awards when she was dressed in drag…?

24 It's Just You August 30, 2011 at 9:51 am

That was awful.

25 Cory August 30, 2011 at 10:36 am

Hahahaha I think It’s Just You (who is me) is Julian. Who’d get offended?

26 lulu August 30, 2011 at 1:08 pm

@bullshit @Eric

This is precisely what I mean about bad reporting in the music industry. The interviewer reverted to “listener’s questions” because that was easier than getting the factual issues in hand, formulating a proper interview and asking relevant questions.

First, asking listener’s questions is a huge indication this guy was NOT PREPARED.

Second, if he did resort to that approach because for some LEGITIMATE reason he could not be prepared (which is intrinsically unprofessional) then he should have chosen questions more pertinent to the topic of M-U-S-I-C.

Albert Hammond Jr. is not a fucking farmer. He is a musician.

27 SuperFan August 31, 2011 at 6:35 am

@lulu, I’M WITH YOU!!!!!!

28 kore dizileri izle July 24, 2012 at 12:47 pm

hey admin thanks for fantastic and easy understandable post i cherished your web site internet site seriously very much bookmarked also

29 νυφικα September 29, 2012 at 12:54 am

Hey, you used to write exceptional, but the last couple of posts have been kinda boring