Interview: Albert Hammond Jr. and Nikolai Fraiture Answer Fan Questions Backstage At ‘Conan’

1 Tara April 27, 2011 at 1:50 pm

“What’s your favourite Strokes song?” “‘Nick Valensi’…it’s on the new album”

Haha, anyone else feeling an album of songs including their names in the titles? ‘Nikolai Broke the Zoom’, ‘Fabrizio is a Crime’, ‘Nick Valensi’…

Also, majorly disturbed that Winnie the Pooh has a whip.

2 Eric Van Dril April 27, 2011 at 1:57 pm

@Tara — Gotta love S&M Winnie.

3 Molly St Clair April 27, 2011 at 2:04 pm

I love that the interviewer seemed a little starstruck! I bet he’s a Strokes fan.

They all just seem like really cool guys! I love that Nikolai is so soft spoken :)

4 kere April 27, 2011 at 2:16 pm

“Albert, when are you grow you’re awesome fro back?”
Albert: “I’m not answering that.”
LMAO

5 Karen April 27, 2011 at 2:50 pm

Those bullets look cool on Nikolai’s jacket.

6 JC April 27, 2011 at 3:10 pm

“Um guys just uh. Reptilia please”

7 rosher April 27, 2011 at 4:44 pm

ahhahaha too funny. i cant stop laughing. i love albert!
Q: “serious question. what influenced the 80’s synth sound on your new album?”
A:”the 80’s.”

8 annie April 27, 2011 at 5:39 pm

Thanks for the flood of posts! The Q article was definitely bleak but i couldn’t agree more with everything Julian said – with the sole exception of Fab (who has to be the classiest dude around) the rest of the band seem to go around bashing Julian and it’s so fuckin tiresome – i don’t blame Julian for being pissed off and feeling isolated from them or if he’d rather go solo after the next one. Why would they be so two-faced, especially when they know it’ll get back to Julian? Things were obviously pretty messed up the week Q showed up but they’re clearly going serious ups and downs as they do seem pretty happy lately. Also the solo Nick thing sounds ridiculous. I was kind of sad to read about the new contractual thing but maybe it needed to happen. I’m glad Albert’s lately been taking some of the knocks for all the shit because it really sounds like most of it stemmed from his problems, which then just highlighted other problems.
Anyway… She’s fixing also has the Blag interview up!

9 tyler April 27, 2011 at 6:17 pm

Albert’s attitude is starting to annoy me.

10 Eric Van Dril April 27, 2011 at 6:17 pm

@annie — I just posted and read the entire thing. Julian hates Nick and it seems as if he has just cause.

I prematurely evaluated the article. There was some bullshit misinterpretations of things, yet the end interview with Julian is very biting. The good thing is that Ryan had Julian’s back and didn’t allow the writer to frame Julian as the sole problem.

11 Kimdiy April 27, 2011 at 9:54 pm

has anyone read/seen the tweets from amanda?? she’s not a happy camper…but she’s just perpetuating the problem with the press and should ignore it.

12 annie April 28, 2011 at 1:26 am

Why oh why is Amanda wading into this and feeding the drama? I’m worried now that this could become more than just a bad interview for the band. On a side rant i’ve always seriously disliked Amanda. She’s just a wannabe feminist who’s not intelligent enough to actually say anything other than branding every pop article as “SO inspiring,” while at any other opportunity (or in fact when there’s none at all but she just wants to name-drop again) she mentions every celebrity she can think of as “my good pal”… she’s just a bullshitting star-fucking idiot who I directly blame for trying to make Nick a complete cliche of a rock god! And she’s dropped a few nasty comments before about Julian too. Yes, i’m on Julian’s side. Despite his blanket answer to the tensions in the band which only ever really put himself in a bad light, it’s clear now that he was always a gentleman throughout his entire press-tour for Phrazes and he did a lot of fuckin interviews. He’s been incredibly gracious only to repeatedly get slapped with asshole comments from his fellow band members. He was clearly completely broken at the time of this interview and being confronted with all the crap some of your supposed friends have just said about you must have been humiliating. I cannot imagine what the hell it takes to talk shit about someone with whom you’ve experienced the most phenomenal adventure and who, let’s face it, was mostly responsible for it. And talk shit to a journalist… that’s just cowardly. Although Nick can be a total ass with his two-faced, shit-stirring comments, his poses, pouts, his hair, those way too low poncy v-necks and many other things, nothing can take away from his guitar playing. I just wish he’d get his seriously inflated ego in check, man-up and divorce his wife.

13 Sandra April 28, 2011 at 2:37 am

New info that has nothing to do with the conan thing : The Strokes will be performing in Paris, july 20th !! SO EXCITEDDDD !

14 alan April 28, 2011 at 5:25 am

annie I love you ! you’re spot on. Nick was cool in the Is This It, Room On Fire era, but then he became an asshole and I can’t describe it better than you.

15 Louis April 28, 2011 at 7:40 am

its fun how everyone justs forgot the warning eric made at the beginning of the post of the interview.
This was meant to be to create controversy and sell, and its making it, thus this was written several months ago…how can we know how things have changed since then…
anyway i cant help thinking that julian feels like a martyr…and i doubt he would like to return after the 5th album is done.

16 JF April 28, 2011 at 1:39 pm

God, I fucking hate Amanda as well.

17 alx. April 29, 2011 at 9:04 am

@tyler agreed.

18 SharonGuitar500 April 30, 2011 at 1:22 pm

I liked this interview, it’s like pretending the band’s happy for a few seconds.

I love them, but Albert, Nick, and Julian act like assholes all the time. Right now I’m on Julian’s side, but he has said nasty things too. I think a lot of people forget that he’s been an asshole too just because he’s their favorite Stroke. He wrote the most amazing songs, true, but that doesn’t mean he’s not an ass. I mean, look at Nick. Taken for a Fool and Machu Picchu were good songs, but he’s an asshole.

Ok, Nick just stopped being my favorite guy from The Strokes. I’m now turning to Fab, he’s fun, cool, and he seems to be the only one who regards the others as friends.

Bah, now I’m depressed…

19 heather April 30, 2011 at 4:55 pm

Thanks you Annie. I totally agree. Never could stand Amanda either. Always felt Nick could do better than that. In any case, her tweets about what Julian said really pissed me off. She should really cease on making comments about the bands issues and keep Julian’s name out of her fucking mouth. She’s pretty much calling Julian a liar, but why the hell would he say that about Nick if it wasn’t true?

20 chase May 18, 2011 at 5:42 pm

I think theyre all friends but have to act all cool when asked stupid questions

21 kore dizileri izle July 24, 2012 at 6:28 pm

Greetings thanks for excellent put up i used to be searching for this concern previous 2 nights. I will look for upcoming precious posts. Have exciting admin.

22 Yuriko July 25, 2012 at 4:33 pm

Really vital post admin wonderful one i bookmarked your world-wide-web sheet see you in following blog site article.