Hurry and watch The Strokes at NYC’s Gov Ball

UPDATE: I’m not usually a fan of posting YouTube videos from shows, but these 17 from Governor’s Ball are worth your time.

By all accounts, The Strokes’ gig at Gov Ball was outstanding. They played Clampdown, and a slew of other songs.

Via the magic of Periscope, you can watch The Strokes at Gov Ball for however briefly the videoΒ stays online. The Strokes — that glorious band that needs to do a proper tour ASAP — begin playing at 1:12.00 in the video.

1 Anthony L. June 5, 2016 at 9:37 pm
2 sss June 6, 2016 at 5:41 am

awesome link!

https://youtu.be/SAo_YAW8tXU?t=4713 : that happy face πŸ™‚

3 Brian Wallace June 6, 2016 at 6:54 am

I wasn’t trying to say Arctic Monkeys are better than the Strokes. Just that their album popularity trajectory is an outlier. I can think of four bands off the top of my head that became popular in the last 15 years with their debut but have had their next 3-4 albums sell less than the previous: The Strokes, The Killers, Franz Ferdinand, Interpol. And Arctic Monkeys would be on that list too if “AM” didn’t sell/stream so much.

Brian

4 gS June 6, 2016 at 7:01 am

I’m not very concerned with popularity or sales as I am with the genuineness and the quality of the music. AM have consistently pushed themselves and their talents so much that each album they put out is better than the previous. Although I don’t think AM is their best album, I certainly recognize that it’s much more mature and of better quality than their debut album. In my opinion, the AM are a very rare band that continue to evolve and get better with each new project.

5 Brian Wallace June 6, 2016 at 7:12 am

@gs Yes, I agree. I think “No 1 Party Anthem” is one of the best songs written in the last 10 years.

Brian

6 SteveSpoon June 6, 2016 at 8:51 am

I’m glad that Vice stream is finally up. I’m still totally shocked they played Red Light. Every time I’ve seen them the FIOE songs have always been the most memorable. Heart In A Cage at Lolla, Razorblade at Portchester, and now Red Light at Gov Ball. Electricityscape was brilliant as well but Red Light came out of nowhere. I was so far back that I didn’t even see Albert playing a SG! He was loving some Gibsons with a Les Paul for Drag Queen. And fucking Clampdown! Those beautiful motherfuckers sounded so good, its a damn shame we still haven’t gotten a real tour from them since Angles.

7 SteveSpoon June 6, 2016 at 8:53 am

Didn’t realize how lame the crowd looked up front for some of the more obscure songs. All those phones up when people should be getting down to the Clampdown.

8 Perks June 6, 2016 at 9:42 am

Watching the stream during “ask me anything”.

Did Julian throw shade at the voidz? Or am I reading it wrong?

9 AutomaticStop June 6, 2016 at 10:27 am

@Perks- What do you mean?

10 Mike P in Bay Ridge June 6, 2016 at 10:37 am

@Perks I think he’s just joking around. The line “we could drag it out” refers to the song, not dragging it out as a band. The Voidz are more likely to experiment and go off and jam (some would say TOO much), and I think he was just poking fun at himself a bit there.

11 Melodica03 June 6, 2016 at 11:03 am

On a weird side note.

Since Julian started the Voidz he has been wearing a Freemason Ring on his right had. He can be seen wearing it at the Gov Ball show as well.

It’s pretty well known that a lot of the problems of the world that he discusses and seemingly is trying to combat are in part created by some of the more famous freemasons of the world.

I wonder if he is aware of this?(He’s a pretty smart guy I would assume he does.)

That being the case then, why does he wear it?

Just a random thought. Insight?

12 Kat June 6, 2016 at 11:17 am

should i spend 300$ on this Strokes jacket? damn it looks too good, but i only have like 500$ in my bank account.

13 fukdat June 6, 2016 at 11:47 am

@Melodica03

All your answers are here.

14 LeavingIt June 6, 2016 at 12:40 pm

@Melodica03
That’s not an Freemason ring. It’s an arrowhead, not a pyramid.

15 LeavingIt June 6, 2016 at 12:47 pm
16 Miguel June 6, 2016 at 12:58 pm

@fukdat lol

17 SkyHigh June 6, 2016 at 1:12 pm

@Melodica03
That’s actually interesting find. There’s usually a reason people wear that kind of stuff.

18 El Pedro June 6, 2016 at 3:58 pm

@Kat

DO IT!

19 Celso June 6, 2016 at 9:23 pm

The Voidz add in ask me anything was priceless hahaha

20 Celso June 6, 2016 at 9:25 pm

@Mike P in Bay Ridge
This line is not about music complexity, but about in-depth lyrics

21 momma mia June 6, 2016 at 11:48 pm

@Annie 1251 – You mean the band after Gov Ball?! How did it go? any other cool tidbits about the future?

22 WHATTHEFUCKWHASTHAT June 7, 2016 at 1:21 am

Thanks for the info Annie, glad you were able to chat up with them!

23 Mikey B June 7, 2016 at 2:57 am

Here’s a link to the threat of joy music video preview

24 Mikey B June 7, 2016 at 4:15 am

Threat of joy preview

25 Annie 1251 June 7, 2016 at 5:33 am

Sorry this is so late-but here’s my two cents on both shows from last week-if anyone is interested.
Both shows had totally different feels but were both just so damn GOOD.

First of all -the people at the Capitol have it down as to how to do concerts. For those of us that showed up super early-they wrote numbers on our hands & gave out wristbands. Lined everyone up and let us in the lobby an hour before the show (I was #7). The first 40 people were let in according to your #. then everyone else. so civilized I was shocked. never experienced anything like that at any show before.

The Strokes at the Capitol were so incredible-it was in many ways reminiscent of their early shows. Intense, tight, loud, not alot of chatter and they just burned through every song-letting us catch our breath for two quiet songs- AMA & Evening Sun (I saw the Mellotron when they set up & was waiting for AMA-it was beautifully done).
I was standing between Nick and Julian-and of all the old songs Alone Together was the highlight-for me- vocals, solo- all of it. so good.

But the best part of the whole night – for me personally- were the three new songs.
They did them so close to the record version. The chorus in Oblivius is the most passionate Julian has sung (with TS) since FIOE, imo. Hearing it live -with hands on the mic in a death grip was mindblowing.
They ended with an powerful Reptilia-then Julian threw down the mic and they left.
It felt like a tornado had gone through.

I found out later that it was because of the curfew that they couldnt come back on for an encore. altho Julian mentioned at Gov Ball that they really dont like encores, didnt do them when they first started…
He also called out the “asshole” that booed them at the Capitol for this. lol.

Gov Ball performance had a much lighter feel to it overall, besides the very touching, well done tribute to Brett Kilroe.
Loved hearing Electricityscape, my fave FIOE song.
But All the songs were played amazingly well. I could of done without Last Nite, but I get why they play it.
Trying your Luck was fantastic both shows. Thought Clampdown was a special perfect choice to throw in there at Gov Ball.
They were definitely on their game for both shows.
fyi, After the show -they all sang Happy Birthday to Fab. which is nice. πŸ™‚

also- I asked Julian why they didnt play Oblivius at GB, he said someone (I’m not going to say who but it wasn’t him) felt that they needed more time with the song to perfect it.
I told him it sounded awesome on Tuesday (it did), and to pass that info on.

26 Annie 1251 June 7, 2016 at 5:41 am

Also for Voidz Fans-
Voidz 2 is coming.

Can’t wait πŸ™‚

27 Next Dimension June 7, 2016 at 6:48 am

How do you know Voidz 2 is coming?

28 momma mia June 7, 2016 at 7:12 am

@Annie1251 – How did the meet up go with Julian? Any other cool tidbits about the future?

29 Joseph A June 7, 2016 at 7:33 am

Beardo posted this and tagged The Voidz on instagram https://www.instagram.com/p/BGLg03gypwb/?taken-by=beardobeardo&hl=en

30 LillySu June 7, 2016 at 7:44 am

@Annie1251
So glad you saw them doing two amazing shows.
Thanx for Voidz info!!!!! Can’t wait!

31 momma mia June 7, 2016 at 9:01 am

Julian will be on Beats1 radio today.

32 momma mia June 7, 2016 at 9:13 am

he is on at 1PM EST. if someone can record it, that would be swell!

33 LeavingIt June 7, 2016 at 9:37 am

@Annie1251
Great info! Curious about the birthday song… did they come back on stage? They’re always so quick to bolt.

The clip of Beardo — I thought he was covering a popular rock song that I can’t quite put my finger on, ’cause the first 5 notes sound just like it, but then he gets into what sounds like a classic rock jam. Like… Jimmy Hendrix.