From Us Virgins: Questions About Attending Music Festivals

On Thursday evening, I asked those who have visited festivals for advice because I have never attended a music festival. Many of you are in the same boat, so at the end of the post I asked for any questions you might have if you have never been.

These are the questions I received…

Jay:

I am going to Lollapalooza this year basically for the sole purpose of seeing The Strokes live. I want to enjoy the whole festival, but I want to make sure that I see The Strokes up close. How soon before they play do I have to be to their stage? Any other advice?

Bernardo:

Well like you, i will be losing my “F-Card” when i attend Lollapaooza, and one question that i would really like to be answered is how can i enjoy the festival’s food, while still being able to stay in the front row when The Strokes perform.

(I have the same question in terms of going to the bathroom.)

Steph:

The only question that popped into my head at the moment was about being in the front row- is it scary, do you risk injury, or is it totally worth it?

Edith:

I guess my main question is, would it be stupid of me to just worry about being up front for the Strokes? Would that defeat the purpose of a festival, going around and scoping new bands? Or is it possible that I could go around and check out other bands and still manage to get a good spot for the Strokes?

My question:

Are earplugs, which Ezra from Vampire Weekend says are necessary, needed?

Most of these will be answered in the upcoming days when I roll out the answers to the five different questions. I plan on doing one-per-day with all of your responses. So if you would like to contribute, answer the five questions and send them to thestrokesnews@gmail.com.

Enjoy the rest of your Sunday, everyone.

1 Lisa July 19, 2010 at 12:06 pm

I too would like to know how to get up front for The Strokes.
Thank you!

2 john July 19, 2010 at 4:24 pm

I was going to tell you to forget the front and that is is a waste and that you should enjoy the whole festival and find a good spot for the strokes – one that is not cramped.. not too far from the stage but somewhere in the back, and that you should save your front row spot for a true strokes tour when they play smaller venues… especially if this is your first strokes show (cough-eric-cough).. and that you should take in the whole atmosphere….. but i won’t.

They are going to sound amazing from wherever you are….

3 john July 19, 2010 at 4:31 pm

lets me just clarify that i am a huge fan…i’ve seen them at least 10 times… and i wish i was going with you guys….

4 Dan July 19, 2010 at 9:15 pm

All I’m going to say is that Ezra from Vampire Weekend is a giant pussy.

5 dave July 20, 2010 at 6:12 am

i had to watch 3 crap bands to reserve my place at the front for the strokes. oh and if your small dont go to the front, at rockness there were 14 year old girls right at the front and they all got majorly crushed

bernardo – people generally disperse, for bathroom breaks and what not after a band set so if you leave a band set 1 song early you can get food before everyone else gets there and reserve a place when everyone disperses

6 Eric Van Dril July 20, 2010 at 5:29 pm

Angelica sent this good piece of advice to my e-mail…

For all the front row questions, YES it is definitely worth all the chaos in the front row. It’ll leave you with an experience you’ll never forget. How crazy it gets up there totally depends on the band, and the way the crowd is feeling. Usually i try to make friends with the people around me that way when showtime comes we all have each others backs when other people try to get up to the front. Everytime i have been in the front for a band i usually wait all day. But if you head to the stage 4 hours or so before the act you wanna see, you should have plenty of time to work your way up to the front. Since i’m sure ALOT of people will be at the festival just to see the strokes, i would get there even earlier then that. You might get tossed around a bit, but im small and i can handle it so it really shouldnt be a problem. In terms of food, i really havent bought any food when ive been to festivals because its so expensive. I usually take granola bars and water because thats really all you need. and in terms of bathrooms?? go before you get to the festival or right when you get there. Because once your in the crowd, you wont be able to go to the bathroom without losing your spot. Earplugs all depend on the person. I would take some just incase. Once again i will emphasize, BEING IN THE FRONT ROW IS NECESSARY FOR THE STROKES. you’ll never forget it. hope this helped! cheers.

7 Steph July 20, 2010 at 5:50 pm

Loving all the advice! October needs to get here. NOW.

8 kore dizileri izle July 24, 2012 at 4:20 pm

I used to be searching for this excellent sharing admin very much thanks and have great running a blog bye