Fab Moretti’s living in Paris to work on art, new music

From this story comes a rather random piece of information that’s of interest to Strokes fans.

As smokers crowded the pavement in front of the store, Strokes drummer Fabrizio Moretti stood in a corner talking animatedly to other guests. “I’m living in Paris for two months just to make art and try to make some music for the next record,” he explained. His favorite thing about the French capital is “walking around aimlessly and finding my way, actually not knowing it’s my way until I get there. This town is just unbelievable, I love it,” Moretti said.

/via TheStrokes_Fans on Twitter

101 Annie 1251 March 21, 2012 at 6:05 am

@modern age
I am sorry – I had to run out after reading your awesome post yesterday. I re-read it, and I just want to say thanks for acknowledging Julian’s triumph over addiction. The fact that he fought the alcoholism by himself (well, we know Juliet was a big help here – thank God for her!) at home, with no rehab is really saying something about the man’s character. He said he felt hungover every single day for two years! That must have been just awful. And you’re right – putting Phrazes out there – with the world all ready to scrutinize -must have been nerve-wracking. That’s why I think his early solo concerts – 11th Dimension on Letterman (or Conan?) he seemed like he why trying to find his way on the stage without being wasted. It was all new to him. But, although I love the Stokes music, I really like a lot of Phrazes songs. How could anyone resist Out of the Blue? One interview liked it so much – he said he dared anyone to try listening to it without singing along with the chorus (Oh-oh-oh!). But anyway – to your last comment: I agree – no greatest hits crap! I wouldn’t mind a live album tho…of their best live stuff…

102 the modern age March 21, 2012 at 6:50 am

@Leaving Just In Time, I love You’re so Right too. My first impression was that it was supposed to be the Juicebox of Angles? IDK. I saw the Jools Holland performance too and thought it was great.

@Tu Papi, You make some really good points and I wish someone could make them read your post. Aside from the crap that was Julian not recording in the studio, they didn’t have a producer? That’s ridiculous. I think Games is a fantastic song too even though I wasn’t into it at first, and no one else has ever agreed with me on that!!!

@regngrtivr, I agree with you too. Plus I laughed endearingly at your AM comment b/c I’m kind of back and forth about them. I do like them but I hated the 90′s garage sound of their newest album and was really disappointed and bored. IMO, at least Angles had a newer and different sound to it.

@Annie1251, Good! I like it here too and I think this recent discussion is great.

On a side note, I really love Julian’s cover of “I Love L.A.” from his Phrazes tour. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IWwHAmInees

103 the modern age March 21, 2012 at 7:07 am

@Annie1251, I’m glad you agree about that! No one ever talks about it- they just make fun of it, and that can be a real struggle for people. Bless his sweet wife- he talked about how much she helped him in his Blag interview. We may never had gotten Phrazes if it weren’t for her.

104 OMG March 21, 2012 at 8:16 am

@the modern age. I agree with you on most points after scanning all the comments.
But Angles having a newer and different sound? Hate to say but that’s exactly what a fan girl would say. That sound IS called the 80′s except with newer studio quality. Doesnt make it ‘new’.

I guess Julian has terrible taste in music because he has always praised Turner’s songwriting, even admires it.
I think suck it and see has its moments, like Angles except it was void of any terrible lyrics Julian can sometimes sprout. Case in point ( dont go that way, il wait for you) really Julian? That sounds like something Rihanna would sing.
But honestly I like SAS better than Angles. Never thought there would b a day when I would say that. AM
producing a bttr record than TS. But hey, no one is perfect.
You can hate on AM all you want, but its not going to make TS any bttr.
I do feel bad for Julian, but Angles was so bad to a point I couldnt defend him anymore.
If you listen to demos, they are nt all that diff frm a song structure. Julian not being in the studio wouldnt hv affected the basic song structure. IMO

105 pbandj March 21, 2012 at 9:22 am

@OMG Thank you for pointing out that Julian admires Alex’s songwriting. Obviously not everyone on here is into Arctic Monkeys, but for those of you on the fence, you should check out Alex Turner’s live KEXP studio performances, especially the one of “Love is a Laserquest.” They’re remarkable…and maybe just something to hold you over while we wait for Strokes V. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O7LtqEEQv34&feature=relmfu

@Annie1251 Agreed about Phrazes. It’s one of those albums that has grown on me more and more without me even realizing it! Some people said this before on an older post, but in my opinion, most songs on Phrazes are better than any Angles song (except for maybe Machu Picchu).

106 the modern age March 21, 2012 at 9:24 am

@OMG, I wasn’t trying to sound like a fangirl, I think I phrased that comment the wrong way. I know a lot of people liked SAS and would probably disagree with me on this (and that’s ok), but it just reminded me of 90′s grunge and I was over than in the 90′s. I guess Angles has kind of an 80′s feel, and maybe I’m partial to that particular sound, but by “new and different” I just meant it didn’t remind me of music I’d heard before or just didn’t like anymore. It’s just my opinion. I hope that makes more sense.

107 HasselBassel March 21, 2012 at 10:22 am

We need back the guru that looks like Ron Jeremy!!

108 Annie 1251 March 21, 2012 at 10:43 am

@OMG
I have to disagree with your last statement: I believe you are saying Julian in the studio wouldn’t have changed the general sound of the Angles? Let’s clarify that: Julian in the studio BEING ALLOWED a big INPUT certainly would have changed the sound. He kept saying he wanted to get in there and “Funk it up”.. “You know, go and do what I do”…”Tweak the bass and change things up”…Those are all things he actually said- and wanted to do. But we all know all the guys were charged up and excited about the songs the way they were, and Jules was obviously disappointed after the album was complete. So – I do believe his input would surely have changed things. Maybe you meant – that just Jules BEING in the studio recording vocals wouldn’t have changed things much?

109 Annie 1251 March 21, 2012 at 10:53 am

@cool
I have to say, although I do respect the idea that our Strokes are actually people – with actual lives…I do agree with you that it sure would be nice to know WHAT IS GOING ON???!!! Someone earlier had suggested maybe they could just put out a single every couple months – YES!! We’lll take it..at least we would know some kind of progress towards SOMETHING was happening….Are they together..not together..WHO KNOWS?? They do have fans out here that love them…HOW ABOUT SOME INFO GUYS?

110 Adele March 21, 2012 at 12:03 pm

Oh, I miss The Strokes. I just watched their Hard to Explain performance on SNL. Wide-eyed Julian almost swallows the mike, Albert nearly strangles that Strat, Nick is teetering on those extremely skinny legs, Fab is hunched over those drums like a madman and Nikolai… I dunno where Nikolai goes…
I feel guilty.
I think I might be favouring The Kills these days – Mosshart never looks bored…
I’m also a huge fan of the Arctic Monkeys – Humbug is stunning, and Cornerstone might be one of the best songs ever written. Yes, I’m allowed to love them all.
I’ve been following the comments and I’m so sad to read most of them. Yes, it’s silly to love music purely because it’s been recorded by ‘your favourite band’. Metabolism is horrible. Gratisfaction is alright, but it does not sound like The Strokes and I keep getting Ellen flashbacks and wondering whether my mother would like them as much as those kind ladies did. And I seem to be the only person here actually liking Two Kinds of Happiness and wondering why it wasn’t a single. Not that they cared. Honestly, Angles is my least favourite album. It’s strange – I know Angles is technically better than First Impressions of Earth, but I’m surprised at how easily I got tired of it.
But oh, the optimist in me is waiting drooling for Strokes V. Take your time, boys. It’s like rooting for your favourite sports-team, isn’t it? They lose once in a while, but you have to stick with them.

111 Mateja March 21, 2012 at 12:12 pm

@pbandi Only in England and some european countries, in the rest of the world they aren’t that big. I saw them at Roskilde, and all the people were like “meh”, just waiting for the other bands to play. And in the US they’re gaining some fans in the lasts years, but still don’t have a recognition according to the quality of the music they do. But actually, I wasn’t talking about popularity. I was talking of the percepetion a lot of people had when The Strokes appeared. By listening the first Strokes record, in that time, you could really think you were in front of something really big, a band that were going to change the music scene of the next years or decades. And in fact they did, despite they finally didn’t had the progression they should to become a legendary band. Going back to the AM, except in the UK, no one had that impression of them. They were just some good (great, if you want) new guitar band, adding some melody to the old Buzzcocks style. And I’m not highlighting that as something bad, in fact, they had a more solid career then. But they never had nor going to have the potential TS once had, and for different factors, finally wasted.

112 Mateja March 21, 2012 at 12:37 pm

@Annie1251

I saw Interpol closing their tour after like 2 years and 200 shows and the singer was like if he hadn’t sing in the last 5 years, according to the perfect sound of his voice.

The Strokes made the laziest album promotion tour EVER. They just played the big festivals, some few shows of their own, and back home to do things they apparently actually enjoy, like diving or riding a bike.
Really, you can’t say Julian’s voice isn’t good because the amount of shows he did in the last two years. He played nothing in comparission of what other bands play in that gap of time.

@the modern age

I really don’t want to be rude. And I respect everyone musical choices, and I know these things are very subjective and blablabla. But do you really think Albert Hammond Jr. albums were mediocre? You may have not liked, but mediocre? And in the same level that the Nickel Eye album? You don’t listen a lot of music besides The Strokes, do you? I’m really not trying to offend you, it’s just curiosity. I actually never hard anything bad about Albert albums.

113 the modern age March 21, 2012 at 12:51 pm

@Mateja, I actually listen to a lot of different types of music. I didn’t mean to imply the other guys put out anything that was bad, I just didn’t find any of it to be that exciting so that’s why I used the word “mediocre”. That’s just my opinion. I know other people would disagree and might call music I think is great “mediocre”, and that’s ok too.

114 pbandj March 21, 2012 at 2:31 pm

@Mateja I agree with a lot of what you said. I’m definitely biased to agree with the UK when they deem a band great, just because they have such a rich music history. I completely agree about The Strokes being lazy with the Angles tour (it doesn’t even feel right to call it a “tour” because their shows seemed so sparse and far between). Then again, three out of the five of them have families and small children now. Maybe they just weren’t up for a big, proper tour at this stage in their lives, but I hope that doesn’t mean they never will be again.

115 Mateja March 21, 2012 at 2:38 pm

I think (and this is just an assumption, like almost everything we talk about in here) the FIOE recording process was a tipping point for the future of the band, for different reasons. First at all, It may the first tensions between the guys appeared. And It’s complete reasonable. The wear of years of seen each others almost every day, some of their adictions were becoming worrysome, a lot of money at stake, the egos were grown. I remember one of the guys talking about Julian wanting to release the album like we know it today, and the others wanting to cut some songs of it. Well, this is untestable, but I’m really sure that if FIOE would had been a 10 or 11 songs album (cutting songs like 15 minutes, Fear of Sleep or Killing lies), it would had been considered at the level of the first ones, or even superior. But It wasn’t. And the critics arrived. And when a band is so hyped as The Strokes were in their beginnings, the first misstep tends to be very punished. And that’s how it happened. And I’m sure this must have affected the band a lot. They were used to be very indulged by the press, they were the great new thing of the rock and roll world. There’s an interview of 2009, I think, of Julian talking about these things, saying he was bad becasuse he realized they weren’t as good as he wanted them to be. Then the hiatus, all the failure attempts to start making a new record, a lot of things that we don’t know must have happened, and the resentment between the band may have keep growing, like Nick said in a pre Angles interview.

Also, I think there’s also another turning point, a more recent one. I read some of you talking about how great they were playing live in the early days. However, I don’t think we have to go that far to find them giving some quality gigs. Just watch their 2010 festivals performances. Just watch their TIOLI performance at Isle of Wight. They were astounding. Those were The Strokes I would have wanted to see in their Angles tour. I’m not the nostalgic guy who wants every presentation to be like that one of Letterman or the 2 bill MTV concert. Their gigs of the return after the hiatus were perfect for the point of their career at the one they’re. There was passion (may be not the same of 2001 or 2006, but that is understandable), the band sounded perfectly adjusted, Julian voice was in a perfect condition, great scenic presence.
Now watch any 2011 performance (except some honorable exceptions, like MSG or T in The Park). What the hell happened in that short period of time to make of that 2010 charismatic frontman a guy giving a shit about everything and looking with no will to do anything that recquires some effort? May be all the accumulated tensions of the years exploded in those press interviews, with all the guys pointing out Julian for all the band issues. I don’t know, but the fact is that Julian clearly hasn’t been at his best in this tour. In fact, I can clearly picture him in about 4 or 5 years talking about how awful was this time of the band for him.

116 cool March 21, 2012 at 4:28 pm

^^^^^OMG FUCK THIS….ENOUGH OF THE BOOKS…NOBODY GIVES A SHIT ABOUT WHAT YOU THINK

117 LMAO March 21, 2012 at 4:42 pm

@cool THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!

118 Mateja March 21, 2012 at 4:48 pm

@cool (?) If you’re under 15 years, It’s ok. Just get in tumblr.com. type julian casablancas and voila

But, if you’re over that age, jesus.. the bombarding (?) idea? really? i’d start worrying, my friend..

119 Russell Brand March 21, 2012 at 6:15 pm

FIOE was miles ahead of Angles in production.

120 shadey March 21, 2012 at 7:13 pm

@cool, Wait, are people seriously complaining about long posts on a DISCUSSION BOARD?

What are you, 16?

121 Annie 1251 March 21, 2012 at 7:21 pm

@shadey
Thank you!…since I am one that tends to leave long posts -lol!

122 Annie 1251 March 21, 2012 at 7:49 pm

@Mateja
I appreciate your post, and do agree with some of your statements – I have to address something you said: “They were used to being very indulged by the press – they were the great new things of rock and roll”. This is a real sore spot with me. The British press loved them right at the beginning, BUT the U.S. press was not so welcoming. It NEVER really has been supportive for our Strokes! Sure, Is This It was revered, but so many critics trashed ROF – kuz it sounded “too much” like ITI. Then FIOE was “too different” from the first two albums. It was like they could not catch a break! WTF did the critics want? A band like Led Zeppelin was never trashed – Stairway to Heaven played 1,000,000 a week until you could vomit – and most of their music sounds the same. Why couldn’t ROF sound like the Strokes? Who the hell was it SUPPOSED to sound like?!! And don’t get me started on the effin radio stations! Today is my birthday, I sent a letter into a big “rock” radio station that plays “blocks” of music at lunchtime. I asked them to play a block of “the coolest band on the planet – The Strokes”. I suggested “Last Night” and “Someday” – songs I knew most people would know. They read my letter on the air – and instead substituted The freaking Smashing Pumpkins! As if I said the Smashing Pumpkins were the coolest band on the planet!!! I freaked out and emailed them. The DJ actually emailed me back and said their producer wouldn’t let him play the Strokes. Really!! I guess I can only expect to hear them on my smaller (but cooler) alternative station. But – it frustrates me SO MUCH that they just don’t get the air time on the stupid Toxic Radio. There’s SO MANY Strokes fans out there and their music is so awesome-why doesn’t the media (or the radio stations – or ANYBODY but us fans!) seem to know this?

123 wolfman March 22, 2012 at 2:07 am
124 Russell Brand March 22, 2012 at 2:27 pm

The problem is not only are these long winded posts hear say and speculation, but they’re written in a super boring way. So try to keep your posts under three thousand words.

125 Annie 1251 March 22, 2012 at 2:36 pm

@ Russell Brand
Wow..that was really insulting…you didn’t HAVE to read it

126 Chocolove797 April 3, 2012 at 11:06 am

Omg this is great! thanks for posting this :D Now I have hope that there’s gonna be a fifth album. You have no idea how happy this makes me

127 Chocolove797 April 3, 2012 at 11:07 am

@ Annie 1251
Hey do you remember me from youtube? Lol I’m glad to see that there’s hardcore Strokes fans like ourselves!

128 Annie 1251 April 4, 2012 at 4:55 pm

@Chocolove 797
Hi! Of course I remember you! Hey, the thread we’re on now is Eric’s newest thread “How I felt about how the Strokes toured Angles”..we’re up to 250 comments – see you there!

129 kore dizileri izle July 24, 2012 at 7:05 pm

you might be truly number one admin your blogging is wonderful i usually test your blog i am positive you might be the perfect

130 Garret July 25, 2012 at 4:02 pm

i bookmarked you in my browser admin thank you so much i will be seeking your next posts

131 mystery shopping jobs July 29, 2012 at 1:33 pm

I agree with most of your points, but a couple of require to be discussed further, I will hold a small talk with my partners and perhaps I will look for you some suggestion soon. 222693

132 jaket online July 29, 2012 at 1:36 pm

i could only wish that solar panels cost only several hundred dollars, i would really like to fill my roof with solar panels- 883539

133 Find out how to get rid of bed bugs without chemicals August 20, 2012 at 10:50 am

Reading, watching movies or plays, or comparable activities that may bring inspiration. 92056

134 choice electricity comparison September 9, 2012 at 5:48 am

We provide you with a table of all the emoticons that can be used on this application, and the meaning of each symbol. Though it might take some initial effort on your part, the skills garnered from regular and strategic use of social media will create a strong foundation to grow your business on ALL levels. 126956

135 click here September 10, 2012 at 3:19 am

Jane wanted to know though your girl could certain, the cost I merely informed her she had to hang about until the young woman seemed to be to old enough. But the truth is, in which does not get your girlfriend to counteract utilizing picking out her extremely own incorrect body art terribly your lady are usually like me. Citty design 738325

136 http://www.kozyservices.com/ September 17, 2012 at 9:15 pm

Glad to be 1 of several visitants on this awful site : D. 248816

137 o8shop Online shopping israel September 19, 2012 at 4:32 am

Thankyou for all your efforts which you have put in this. quite intriguing information . 571371

138 Mad April 1, 2013 at 1:40 pm

Hi there this is somewhat of off topic but I was wanting to know if blogs use WYSIWYG editors or if you have to manually code with HTML. I’m starting a blog soon but have no coding skills so I wanted to get guidance from someone with experience. Any help would be enormously appreciated!