The Strokes’ ‘Angles’ Has Leaked, Download It Here

Angles, The Strokes’ first album since 2006, has leaked.

You can download it here.

This is the real thing, folks. I know this probably goes without saying, but please go out and support the Strokes. Please purchase the Angles vinyl (use it as artwork if you don’t have a record player) and go see The Strokes in concert.

Related, information about The Strokes’ first gig supporting Angles, including concert reviews and video, can be found here. To see The Strokes support this record, be sure to watch the band play a song they’ve never before played on national TV on three separate occasions: March 23 on Letterman, March 30 on Fallon and April 20(?) on Conan.

301 john March 14, 2011 at 3:00 pm

The beginnning of Two kinds of happiness remind me of Goodbye horses – Q Lazzerus from Silence of the lambs. Just the beginning though. ANybody else get this?

302 alx. March 14, 2011 at 3:05 pm

@Dmitry Fucking piece of divinity, couldn’t put it better. I dunno where the negativity towards FIOE came but it’s ridiculous….those stupid magazine reviews probably.
Angles is a good album but it had a huge hype and it’s a fine album but it doesn’t match up to the previous three.

I’m starting to like Games a little bit more, but it just sounds like it could be one of the weaker tracks on Phrazes.
I expected them to sound a little more like Phrazes in this album…but then with all this “angles” and democratic distribution I thought maybe we wouldn’t have too much Julian’s new solo sound, but finally it did. I love Phrazes but I prefer the classic sound.

303 Tom March 14, 2011 at 3:28 pm

the strokes have the album streaming for free on their official website now.
guess no one is stealing anything//

304 Nix March 14, 2011 at 4:27 pm

link is dead.

305 pub March 14, 2011 at 4:28 pm

god! games is complete shit. what the hell were they thinking?

306 FinderOfNemo March 14, 2011 at 4:36 pm

I swear on my life that on the last note I got a boner.

307 Cory March 14, 2011 at 6:11 pm

I feel like a lot of you already liked the album before you even heard it. Present this album to any of your friends who aren’t in love with the strokes, and see if you “get them hooked.” Trust me, you won’t. It’s impossible because, for the most part, this album is a pile of dog shit.

308 jeremy March 14, 2011 at 6:33 pm

@Joe Slobadnik: Don’t be ridiculous. He has to have a record deal to be better than someone who does have one? Do you realize how well absolute shit sells? I doubt it, but the dude could be a friggin genius… not really fair to criticize his music based on nothing.

309 Cory March 14, 2011 at 6:47 pm

Thanks Jeremy. I wasn’t going to respond to him anyways, but since you have, I will. I don’t think I am a more talented songwriter than Julian Casablancas. However, the other band members are not that great at writing or producing music. I love them, but seriously. Don’t get all offended because I’m “dis’ing your favorite band” because they’re my favorite too. I’m just callin’ it like I see it. You shouldn’t have to love the album because you listened to it so many times on repeat that you’ve let it grow on you. You know when you hear a good song, and the strokes didn’t make any great songs with this album. not one.

310 Cory March 14, 2011 at 6:50 pm

and to support Jeremy’s argument, do you really think this guy is talented because he has a record deal?

311 lazarus March 14, 2011 at 6:55 pm

I don ‘t care what anyone says at least they did something original ( with obviuos nods to the 80′s). It’s not a perfect album but i do feel like i’m on a future grid in a post apocolyptic rock warzone in leather spiked gloves with plastic palm trees and an ice blue future cocktail

the strokes are the best band in the last 2 decades point motherfucking blank.

312 wolfman March 14, 2011 at 8:56 pm

@cory let people who like it fucking like it you douche.

313 jc March 14, 2011 at 9:49 pm

@cory
totally agree with you man. i really love them too but this album was just kinda disappointing. maybe it’s the 5 years that built up so much expectations but we shouldnt be telling ourselves to like it just cos it’s by the strokes. imho, it’s the weakest of all 4 albums. think it’ll be soon before i go back listening to ITI, ROF and FIOE. sigh.

314 Sabino March 14, 2011 at 10:10 pm

Still working! YAY!

315 Cory March 14, 2011 at 11:07 pm

Wolfman, I’m not prohibiting anyone from liking the album. Matter of fact, I’m happy that people do like the album. I’m just saying my opinion. Is that okay? Or is it not allowed for a strokes fan to express discontent with the quality of the new album? I think some people are, in a way, blind followers that would be just as stoked if the album was just a bunch of fart noises and belchs. It’s important to be critical and provide checks and balances, in a way. We do play a role with this band as their fans. If a band’s fans show unconditional support for them, then eventually it just becomes acceptable for them to make crappy ass music. Call it mainstream or whatever.

316 Cory March 14, 2011 at 11:15 pm

And thank you @jc,

I agree, I will probably be listening to the other 3 records sooner than later myself.

317 Sam March 14, 2011 at 11:24 pm

@Cory completely agree. Mediocrity should not be applauded. Anyone who thinks this is the best the strokes can do has got to be kidding. ‘First Impressions’ is widely regarded as the weakest of the first three albums, but even that had songs that I instantly fell in love with. For me ‘Angles’ sounds awkward.

318 Colin March 15, 2011 at 1:15 am

@Sam (and I suppose Cory by extension)
I agree: mediocrity shouldn’t be applauded… but I certainly don’t think Angles is mediocre by any stretch. I’m fine with other fans not liking this album, but myself and many other fans truly enjoy the album. We aren’t unconditionally appreciating the music; we genuinely like it. Not the best Strokes album in my eyes, but I do find it to be damn good.

319 Jeff March 15, 2011 at 1:43 am

all songs in Angles can be heard here – http://new.thestrokes.com/featured/listen-to-angles-here

320 Piss March 15, 2011 at 2:05 am

@cory
I tried, but even ITI and ROF failed to get my friends ”hooked”.
I discovered the strokes pretty late, and none of the the first two album’s songs got me hooked after two listens..some on FIOE did though..so my point is, the strokes are not the easiest band to get into. Hence your theory of how the first two albums can do tht isnt true.
Angles has a lot of weird things i wish they left out..but i still enjoy the rest of the songs. i didnt like ucod, and still dont. so im nt blindly liking stuff..

321 Cory March 15, 2011 at 8:22 am

Maybe the album doesn’t sound like a pile a dog shit, that was a bit harsh. But, you are kidding yourself if you can’t see that this is by far the worst album by the strokes. They just made so many dumb ass choices with these songs. They needed a producer, and in time you will begin notice that. It’s just the worst thing they’ve made, and @jc was totally right, that this five year anticipation prolly has built up too many expectatations from the fans…. It just sucks that they come out with their worst album after a 5 year hiatus. I’m optimistic that this is just a speed bump for the band, and not the beginning of end. Contrary to room on fire, the end does have an end and I hope this ain’t it!

322 Cory March 15, 2011 at 8:24 am

And I wasn’t trying to say that if you like the album then you must be a blind follower… Butt I know there are some of you that are.

323 Lane March 15, 2011 at 10:24 am

album leaked, but don’t worry. Angles is still well worth the money.
love you, strokes
can’t wait until march 22

324 Asti March 15, 2011 at 10:44 am

I fell in love with this band when MTV rinsed the live video of Hard To Explain, post-Modern Age/pre-Is This It?, and have followed them through the years up until this point.

If they were searching to see if they could justify continuing as a band, then I think this album DOES that. However, I find it interestingly incoherent as a whole, but from everything I’ve read about the nature of its protracted production, this is nNOT a great surprise. But as with every album I consume I take it as a whole, and the rough with the smooth. Funnily enough, I remember thinking just before FIOE came out “Jeez, they haven’t written a dud song yet”, and after that album the only songs that I thought were a bit on the weaker side were ’15 minutes’ and ‘On The Other Side’… OK maybe wasn’t entirely enthused about ‘Evening Sun’ (but came around to it). But the rest of it was pretty damn ace. I missed the sound of the old band-playing-in-a-room Gordon Raphael approach, but you have to explore new things and accept that your favourite bands are on a similar creative expedition to which we all are.

I think I’d lose faith in them BIG TIME if they toured this one to death though, because it feels like a stop-gap album to put on a united front. If they are saying that they are gagging to jump back into a second album of Strokes Version 2.0 then they should do just that. I’m sure the record company will be prodding them to go out and do the once-round-the-world thing, but I just hope they don’t milk it.

As a standalone tune, and my song of the day… I think ‘Games’ is a really f_cking beautiful piece of music. Does it sound like The Strokes of 2001? No. But then again, it’s their band to do with as they please. Will I buy this on Monday…? damn right I will.

325 Colin March 15, 2011 at 12:16 pm

@Corey… I understand that you simply don’t like that album, and that’s cool… just don’t be presumptive and say I’m kidding myself by liking this stuff more than FIoE. It’s a little degrading.

326 wolfman March 15, 2011 at 2:39 pm

@cory you just can’t stop pushing, can you? music has everything to do with taste. it’s normal for people to like the new album from their FAVORITE band. from what i’m reading, it sounds like you’re blinded by the media’s impression of their recording process and closed-minded to anything that does’t sound like ITI. i know you’ll deny it, but it’s worth saying while you’re labeling others “blind followers” and such. if you don’t like it, that’s cool, and you’ve said it enough. But not everyone has the same taste as you, so stop trying to convince them otherwise.

327 Cory March 15, 2011 at 4:05 pm

Are you telling me that this isn’t their worst album?

328 wolfman March 15, 2011 at 4:17 pm

lol

329 Colin March 15, 2011 at 6:44 pm

For me, no: it’s not their worst album… but none of them are bad, so “worst” means nothing.

330 b March 15, 2011 at 7:30 pm

Does anyone know where I can find this?..It’s been removed\
I was in Vegas when this was posted!!

Need it ASAP!

331 mdridley March 16, 2011 at 6:41 am

Instead of comparing The Strokes to The Strokes, shouldn’t we be comparing them to everyone else? You could argue Radiohead are pushing music further than anyone around today, but like Manny from The Stone Roses said, “When it comes to rock and roll, you shouldn’t have to get the logarithm tables out”. With Angles, The Strokes have taken that futuristic, forward-thinking Radiohead-esque sound and filtered it through Cyndi Lauper to make it much more palatable and most importantly, fun!

332 thegreatcat104 March 16, 2011 at 12:52 pm

So began listening to the new album, and i must say its quite something, but! as i was listening to games, and i couldn’t help but notice that there was this catchy tune. Turns out that the catchy tune was used on one of their unknown songs, the first one where julian says , ‘la lala lat la.’

333 omar March 18, 2011 at 1:30 am

i think the strokes changed a lot since their last album but i think change has to be done to inovate music by itsself if you were expecting the strokes to sound like they did in FIOE then you are completly wrong if that were the case you should go and listen to the old strokes in conclusion the album might be bad in some prespective but its good music that is more talented than many rappers out these days and i would choose this album over any of the r&b hip-hop albums just because of their musical talent

334 noah March 20, 2011 at 2:26 pm
335 Star March 20, 2011 at 7:12 pm

Hands up to Cory! Absofuckinlutely agree with what you said. This listening was painful.
I deeply respect The Strokes and trust in their magic towards music but here they didnt even tried to! And that hurts who appreciated so much their other works ! But it doesn’t make me any less loyal towards my passion to say a firm No to this crap. You gotta earn respect, don’t you? They did with me already, but i want more from them! They’re the strokes. I’ll be waiting for them again. Praying next time they’ll be at ease with each other in the studio and julian will be free to express himself without restrictions, he rules! Let’s wait next one cory and the ones who will not even buy this album to express discontent like i’ll do.

336 Aji (Jakarta, Indonesia) March 24, 2011 at 6:45 pm

@Cory
Agree with you mate. I was really happy when Under Cover of Darkness came out but after the whole album was released, in my honest opinion, it was very disappointing. When ROF was released, it was still aligned with the characteristics of ITI, same goes to FIOE, in which perhaps it was the raw garage rock that everyone loved. U can say FIOE was a bit experimental but nonetheless it still had the characteristics of The Strokes that many strokes fan liked a lot about.
@Wolfman & Colin
From my POV, this new album strayed a bit from their previous album characteristics and I guess that’s why many people disapprove of their new album. The many that don’t like expected more and not expected this. We’ll never know. Some might like and perhaps many would not even go back to Angles (except Under cover of darkness, Life Is Simple in The Moonlight and Taken for a fool).
Look, I assume we’re all longtime Strokes fans here and theirs no reason to diss one another. We all have rights to express our own feelings towards this. Instead of diss-ing Cory, maybe wolfman and other Strokes fans that like Angle can enlight the ones that don’t. Fair enough right?

All previous Strokes albums were great, none were weak. FIOE was pretty growned up since ITI, but still loved it.

337 wolfman May 19, 2011 at 1:42 pm

@Aji I’m all for everyone expressing their opinions on the album, but my problem with Cory’s comments was his judging and name-calling of those who didn’t share his point of view when in the end, it all comes down to TASTE.

338 wolfman May 19, 2011 at 1:42 pm

@Aji I’m all for everyone expressing their opinions on the album, but my problem with Cory’s comments was his judgement and name-calling of those who didn’t share his point of view when in the end, it all comes down to is TASTE.

339 wolfman May 19, 2011 at 1:43 pm

@Aji I’m all for everyone expressing their opinions on the album, but my problem with Cory’s comments was his judgement and name-calling of those who didn’t share his point of view when in the end, all it comes down to is TASTE.

340 wolfman May 19, 2011 at 1:44 pm

sorry i don’t know why it did that 3xs

341 kore dizileri izle July 24, 2012 at 10:48 pm

hey admin thanks for wonderful and simple understandable article i liked your blog site web page definitely significantly bookmarked also

342 Claude July 25, 2012 at 4:22 pm

Greetings thanks for good article i used to be seeking for this challenge very last two days and nights. I’ll look for subsequent valuable posts. Have enjoyable admin.

343 visita el link July 27, 2012 at 7:56 am

Very usefull blog. i will follow this blog. keep up the good work. 745151

344 this one July 27, 2012 at 9:30 am

Which is some inspirational stuff. Never knew that opinions may possibly be this varied. Thank you for all of the enthusiasm to give such valuable data here. 303525