Daft Punk, on Julian Casablancas and ‘Instant Crush’

Here’s Daft Punk, on working with Julian Casablancas (via @shesfixing). French first, then the English translation

Julian Casablancas des Strokes le chante. Nous sommes tous les deux super fans et nous avons appris qu’il voulait nous rencontrer. On avait cette démo qui traînait, il est venu, il a écouté et il était à fond ! Il a une sorte de don. Nous, à la base, on adore le rock et le concept du groupe de rock, mais il y a eu tellement de choses fortes que l’émergence d’une nouvelle voix à un moment donné était devenue difficile. Récemment, The Strokes et MGMT – avec des dimensions et des sensibilités différentes – y sont parvenus. Julian a un côté punk rock, une portée émotionnelle hyper forte dans ses mélodies. Il était important de l’avoir sur cet album, de nous sentir entourés de nos contemporains.

“Julian Casablancas of The Strokes sings. We are both great fans and we learned that he wanted to meet us. It was this demo that was lying, he came, he listened and he was thoroughly! It has a kind of gift. We, basically, we love rock and the concept of the rock band, but there were so many strong things that the emergence of a new voice at one point became difficult. Recently, The Strokes and MGMT – with dimensions and sensitivities – succeeded. Julian has a punk rock side, a super strong emotional impact in its melodies. It was important to have this album to feel surrounded by our contemporaries. ”

Here’s the link to the French article.

And here’s Get Lucky, the first single from Daft Punk’s new record. I can’t stop dancing.

1 leila April 18, 2013 at 10:57 pm

i really can’t wait to hear daft punk’s new album! especially “instant crush”!!!
oh, and “get lucky” sounds awesome.

2 jettiaon April 18, 2013 at 11:47 pm

yeaaaaaah, started listening to discovery after some years, god what a great album that is!

3 I Can't Win April 19, 2013 at 2:53 am

Can’t wait to hear the album! At a small party tonight one of my friends remembered that “Get Lucky” had been released at midnight so we pulled it up and played it and there wasn’t a single person there who wasn’t bobbing their head or tapping their feet. It’s just so funky and infectious!

4 Annie 1251 April 19, 2013 at 3:54 am

I’m lovin this song! and a little bit of the chorus reminded me of Earth, Wind & Fire.

and I liked that he said:
“Julian has a punk rock side, a super strong emotional impact in its melodies.”
I can’t wait to hear Instant Crush!

5 Annie 1251 April 19, 2013 at 4:12 am

*Here’s another (slightly different) translation:

“WE ARE BOTH GREAT FANS OF JULIAN CASABLANCAS, AND WE LEARNED THAT HE WANTED TO MEET US. THERE WAS THIS DEMO THAT WAS LYING, HE CAME, HE LISTENED AND HE WAS REALLY INTO IT ! HE IS VERY GIFTED. BASICALLY, WE LOVE ROCK’N ROLL AND THE CONCEPT OF A ROCK BAND, BUT THERE WERE SO MANY STRONG THINGS THAT THE EMERGENCE OF A NEW VOICE AT ONE POINT BECAME DIFFICULT. RECENTLY, THE STROKES AND MGMT SUCCEEDED. JULIAN HAS A PUNK ROCK SIDE, A SUPER STRONG EMOTIONAL IMPACT IN HIS MELODIES. IT WAS IMPORTANT TO US TO HAVE HIM IN THIS ALBUM”
- Daft Punk Talking About Julian Casablancas In An Interview With ‘Le Nouvel Observateur’

6 SAS April 19, 2013 at 6:36 am

This is how is understand it (lived 10 years in France):
Julian Casablancas of The Strokes sings. Both of us are super fans (of TS) and we heard that he was keen to meet us. We had this demo that had been lying around, he arrived, he listened to it and he adored it! He has a kind of gift. Basically, we love rock and the idea of rock groups, but there is so much stuff about at the moment that to come up with something new in this environment is really tough. Recently its TS and MGMT – stretchin their musical boundaries and emotions – who are achieving that. Julian has a real ‘Punk Rock’ side to him; a real emotional strength/signature that comes over in the way he sings his melodies. It was important to have that on the album, to feel surrounded by our contemparies…

7 SAS April 19, 2013 at 6:41 am

@Annie1251 yours is a good translation – think ‘a super strong emotional impact in his melodies’ works better that my translation of that bit… but the demo wasn’t lying..it was lying around/’trainait’ also means ‘hanging around’ . If you put our two translations together I reckon you’d have a pretty good one – ha ha!

8 the modern age April 19, 2013 at 9:13 am

@Eric, “I can’t stop dancing.” lol :) Where’s the video?

This is a great song! I admit I’m dancing too…

9 TuPapi April 19, 2013 at 3:39 pm

good stuff!

10 Mourad April 20, 2013 at 5:44 am

Hope jules will make a video about collaborating with the robots.

11 Annie 1251 April 20, 2013 at 6:04 am

@SAS
I wish I could take credit to say that I interpreted that paragraph myself, but I don’t speak French!
I wish I did! (I have two friends that speak it fluently, and it is such a beautiful language) but I found it posted on tmblr. And I was wondering why the version I found (and the original one posted here) said that “the demo was lying” LOL! I knew something was missing! :)

As for the “strong emotional impact in his melodies” part -you might be right. Didn’t someone here say that Julian contributed to writing Instant Crush?
Because although I think Julian puts alot of emotion into his singing (*understatement*), he also puts so much emotion into his music writing.
Albert said (early on) that the Stroke’s songs were “beautiful melodies with balls.” I agree!

12 Annie 1251 April 20, 2013 at 6:09 am

Based on that last thing I posted, I was reminded of a great quote from Brian Eno that I just saw recently.
I immediately thought of Julian and TS songwriting:

“Somebody in an interview said recently, “What do the words mean?” And I said, “What do the chords mean?”

13 the modern age April 20, 2013 at 7:09 am

@Annie, Nice:) ^

14 Annie 1251 April 20, 2013 at 8:57 am

I saw something posted recently that had me nodding my head in agreement:
“Being a Strokes fan is so exhausting, I feel like I should be given a medal or something.”
LOL! but true!

But I also came across this awesome blog/post about our great band, written a while back. It is very long – read it when you have time (if interested). It just reinforces why we put up with all of this band’s nonsense-
it’s because they are worth it:

15 but julian i'm a little bit older than you April 20, 2013 at 10:21 am

@Annie

They’re definitely worth it– but it is a bit irritating at times…especially because I feel like this album is a cool departure for them and something they should have really shown off (maybe not so much interview wise – i sort of get why they’re avoiding interviews post-Angles— but at least live performances …at least one live performance …)

I meannnn there are a bunch of other ways they could have shown enthusiasm surrounding this record without going to the magz…they could have made a stupid YouTube video….

It’s like they made this ballsy record that completely breaks them out of their mould and then they chickened out and shyed away from promoting it … In my opinion they took a big step away from their traditional sound and should have backed that up with confidence or some kind of conviction.
The silence just makes it seem like they’re unsure, not keen to be vulnerable, or they just straight up don’t give a fuck and want to lay low ….(I can’t imagining them not giving a fuck..but perhaps..)

16 Annie 1251 April 20, 2013 at 11:56 am

@but Julian….
Thanks for posting back! I definitely agree with you that they are QUITE irritating with this silence. That’s why I posted that article above – just to remind myself why I do love them. I’m trying so hard to just focus on their music, which is just so effin awesome, and I am aware that it’s the most important thing.

I do GET their unique way of non-promoting CM (before it came out)- doing what Julian always wanted – making people hear ONLY the music. And I don’t blame TS for being media-shy after their insane roller coaster ride w/the press for over a decade of torture.

But I will tell you that I am disappointed – I was sure by now we would be saying things like this here on TSN: “Holy crap! I can’t believe Julian wore THAT on Fallon!” “Wow- I’m glad they played W2J- It sounded great”. and of course – “Yup, Julian did say Fuck it again on SNL.” (lol to that last one).

And I am srsly bummed if there will be no performances at all – tv or live. and it’s also very very strange that there are no more lyrics sheets – no more ANYTHING. Just weird silence.
Like TS dropped this fun, creative, amazing album out of the sky and just kept on flying past.
and fans are like “What the hell? Umm…thanks?”

But I don’t think they chickened out from promoting their new sound. I think they (Julian in particular) is very happy and confident with this new music direction. (just look at his side projects).

I am hoping people will not interpret their silence as lack of confidence, or that they don’t care.
I honestly think they do care about their fans. So that makes this weird silence so much weirder.
And I agree with you that an album as great as CM deserved something more than this.

17 but julian i'm a little bit older than you April 20, 2013 at 12:20 pm

@Annie
I definitely agree …i would be really happy to discuss whatever JC wore to SNL or what lyrics he forgot hahah…I guess I sort of interpreted it as “chickening out” because its a big change and for it to come across with a lot of conviction they’d need to promote it or show it off and they haven’t really done anything…so perhaps chickening out isn’t the right way to say it ..but I think that the new sound makes them vulnerable and it would have been more effective if they came out really enthused about it —being like yahhh this is our new sound we had fun with it and we’re proud of it. Instead of like …as you said..them dropping an album out of the sky and being like PEACCEEEE we’re going to go DJ and do other stuff for now kthx bye.

and i’m sure they care about the fans but at the same time ..we can probably be a tad demanding (hahah case in point everything I’m saying above)

18 Annie 1251 April 20, 2013 at 12:33 pm

@but julian…
lol to “being like PEACCEEEE we’re going to go DJ and do other stuff for now kthx bye.”
hahaha..

but you were right – it very well MAY come across to alot of people that they are not confident about their album. and I don’t think they thought of that – or they don’t care what people think. which is a strange way to put out an album, even for them and their laid back selves.

and no way are Strokes fans demanding! Well maybe about expecting great music from them. But that’s only because we know what they are capable of. They are the best of the best, IMO.

I think Strokes fans sure are loyal – we’ve hung in there through all kinds of craziness and uncertainty with them.
The Strokes have the Best Fans – that’s for sure! :)

19 SAS April 20, 2013 at 3:02 pm

Have had a chest bug recently and my sister turned up yesterday with flowers and a magazine for me (sweet!) – the mag was called ‘Red’ and is a UK mag, not one I buy but it had a cover photo and main feature on Amanda de Cadenet so I immediately turned to that and saw that needless to say she cited TS as her fave band saying ‘There new album is so good. I play it on the school run.’ – so even if the band aren’t bothering to promote CM, it seems at least one of their wives is LOL!

20 CHECK IT April 21, 2013 at 10:46 pm
21 LillySu April 22, 2013 at 3:05 am

Guys, have any of you heard anything about documentary The Unseen Beauty about Sam Adoquei, with an original song written specially for the movie by Julian. It will be screening on some 2013 movie festivals.

One more new Julian’s song!!! I’m so excited!!!

22 Annie 1251 April 22, 2013 at 3:43 am

@LillySu
That’s awesome! Can’t wait to hear it! :)
I’m also interested in trying to see Sam’s documentary – he’s such a cool talented guy.

23 Ted April 22, 2013 at 4:35 am

@ Check It

Nice to see Fab Nikolai and Albert together !

24 Matt April 22, 2013 at 7:17 pm

Got $750+? Wanna chill with Nikolai for a bit? Want a fully signed Vinyl of Comedown Machine? Hell yes you do! Bid here:

25 TuPapi April 22, 2013 at 7:50 pm

WHERE THE HELL ARE THE STROKES??!!

This is getting annoying. Wiz Kid mentioned on album release more news to come…. WTF WizzedKid?

26 the modern age April 23, 2013 at 5:46 am

I’m really annoyed too.

27 Wolfsie April 23, 2013 at 9:40 am

So excited! I think Sony has streamed the Daft Punk album for a few journalists. Look at what Nik Goodman said
When I asked him about JCs vocals!!!

@nikgoodman: #daftpunk album – track 5 – 115bpm – another classy groove. More vocoder. OK…. you get the idea now. #enoughalready

@wolfsiee: @nikgoodman cool. So this was the Julian Casablancas track right? What were his vocals like?

@nikgoodman: @wolfsiee It’s a beautiful thing.

28 Matt April 23, 2013 at 4:55 pm

Hey guys, some possible news/Julian “interview”?

Har Mar Superstar ‏@HarMarSuperstar 5m

New #NocturnalEmotions with @Casablancas_J @CultRecords drops tonight at midnight PST on @earwolf! Yes! #JulianCasablancas

At this site:

29 mateja April 23, 2013 at 5:00 pm

Totally off topic, but someone should upload You Only Live Once @ Conan in HQ to youtube.

It’s one of the greatest Strokes’ tv appearances and most of the people never saw it cause it’s only on dailymotion.

30 Annie 1251 April 23, 2013 at 5:57 pm

@Wolfsie
Wow! That’s so great! :) and so cool that he answered you! I can’t wait to hear this song!

31 Matt April 23, 2013 at 9:56 pm

Well… Julian “interview” should be going up in about 2 hours or so. I won’t get to listen until tomorrow.

32 Wolfsie April 23, 2013 at 11:38 pm

@Matt
I’ve been waiting for Har Mar to interview Julian! Yay. Thanks for the heads up!!

33 carl April 23, 2013 at 11:46 pm

can someone record it please?

34 TheTourist April 24, 2013 at 12:06 am
35 Wolfsie April 24, 2013 at 12:16 am

Carl it’s a podcast – you’ll be able lo listen anytime.

36 goodtasteinmusicguy May 11, 2013 at 9:30 am

who the fuck translated this

37 Eric Faria May 13, 2013 at 8:06 pm