‘Comedown Machine’ will be released on March 25 (in the UK) and March 26 (in the US)

The Strokes’ fifth album, Comedown Machine, will be released on March 26.

This is the album art…

thestrokes_cm_625x433

So, if you’re not a regular reader of this site, here’s what we know so far.

-One Way Trigger is out.
-All The Time, the band’s first single, debuts on Feb. 12 on Zane Lowe’s BBC program.
-The new record is out in a little less than two months from now.

For a band that went under a rock for five years, I’d say two years between albums four and five is rather exciting and unexpected, no?

1 mateja February 5, 2013 at 5:46 am

Don’t remember which interview Q magazine published, but I was checking and they rated Angles with 8 and a very postive review. But this guy Niall who is the “Q magazine reviews editor” said Angles was rubbish, so they don’t seem to have a very uniqueness standard..

2 mateja February 5, 2013 at 6:09 am

From NME editor..

Jenny Stevens ‏@jenny_stevens
Strokes album is an emotional rollercoaster. Current mood – sounds half like the new Phoenix album, half like the new Strokes album #strokes

3 mateja February 5, 2013 at 6:17 am

Jimi Famurewa ‏@Jimfam
Not saying this new Strokes album sounds a bit 80s but a beach volleyball montage just broke out in the office.

why they had to choose the shittiest musical decade to be influenced by? I would wish the continued with their 70’s revival or go back to the 60’s, but the 80’s? Anyway, we’ll have to wait…

4 "stroked" February 5, 2013 at 6:52 am

@the modern age – sorry I’m late.
I’m quite sure we get a pre-leak soon.
The Strokes are too popular to hide CM until 22/03 – but let’s see 🙂

5 the modern age February 5, 2013 at 6:58 am

@”stroked”, Don’t be sorry! 🙂 You’re right about them being so popular right now. They’ve been under the radar for so long (not as long as last time, but you know what I mean) that ppl are dying to hear this new music. I can’t wait. And Feb 12th is next week!

6 "stroked" February 5, 2013 at 7:18 am

I know exactly what you mean – I’m one of them! Can’t wait too! 😉

When CM ist out – the next 37 minutes and 49 seconds will be hard to breath!

7 the modern age February 5, 2013 at 7:26 am

Me too! I’m way too excited here, but whatever 🙂

8 LillySu February 5, 2013 at 9:13 am

I would say those comments are quite positive. Can’t sit and wait! I’m way to excited! Mateja, big thanx for finding all that! 🙂 I’m almost OWT straight these days. Hardly can listen any other music. You can imagine how I’m longing for that CM!

9 LillySu February 5, 2013 at 9:14 am

I would say those comments are quite positive. Can’t sit and wait! I’m way to excited! Mateja, big thanx for finding all that! 🙂 I’m almost OWT straight these days. Hardly can listen any other music. You can imagine how I’m longing for that CM…

10 LillySu February 5, 2013 at 9:15 am

Sorry, I doubled it, don’t ask me how… 🙁

11 Mandingo February 5, 2013 at 10:01 am

This HAS to leak soon! Those early/short reviews sound promising! Thanks Majeja for the posts.

12 Ted February 5, 2013 at 10:28 am

@Mateja thx !

I like the comment : “an emotional rollercoaster ” interesting !
and it will leak like any other albums today, I hope not too soon, 1 week before the official release is ok, but before…

13 Mandingo February 5, 2013 at 10:34 am

This one from Fly Magazine- We’re listening to the new Strokes album. It hasn’t even finished and I want to hear it again

So want to hear it soon, at least hear detailed updates from those able to hear it.

14 the modern age February 5, 2013 at 11:00 am

I love so many positive comments over here, it’s making me more excited for this!

@LS, I’m still on OWT too. I love it so much!

15 "stroked" February 5, 2013 at 11:05 am

…I would like to see the official playlist!

TS/JC always choose cool titles for their songs!

16 Andres February 5, 2013 at 11:15 am

more From twitter
“ostii ‏@he_austin
3rd song on the new #strokes album will be a breakfast anthem”

YAY!

17 Brian Wallace February 5, 2013 at 11:16 am

What’s a “breakfast anthem?”

Brian

18 Andres February 5, 2013 at 11:30 am

i have a question, when are we going to listen “all the time” the next february 12 or 13?

19 LillySu February 5, 2013 at 11:33 am

Oh, it’s almost unbearable! Those people are blessed! Their comments are so teasing…

@Brian Wallace
We will wonder about that for a while…

@the modern age
Can’t get enough… 🙂

20 Guilherme Araujo February 5, 2013 at 11:51 am
21 Mike February 5, 2013 at 11:57 am

@Guilherme Araujo
Not sure if that’s real, singing doesn’t really sound like Julian, but honestly I hope it is. That sounds awesome.

22 Guilherme Araujo February 5, 2013 at 12:00 pm

@Mike
I know that’s what i thought, it doesn’t sound like Julian… but it’s awesomeeeeeee!!!

23 Maya February 5, 2013 at 12:00 pm

Did you guys see Albert/Nikolai’s tweets to each other? 😀
It makes me so freaking happy that they’re all acting like such good bros! I’m sure their friendships never went away, but I love when they come out in the open!

24 Tommy Pickles February 5, 2013 at 12:02 pm

@guilherme araujo, I think that’s fake.

25 Acombs1793 February 5, 2013 at 12:03 pm

@guilherme
Lol

26 Acombs1793 February 5, 2013 at 12:10 pm

Well since we’re posting songs that sounds like the strokes could you guys give my bands song a listen. I’m the only person in the band. And you can pretend its a strokes demo if you want haha

27 the modern age February 5, 2013 at 12:18 pm

@Maya, Cute!!

28 Bobby February 5, 2013 at 12:25 pm

I don’t know if I like the sound of the new album from NME. Then again, it’s NME. I just hope One Way Trigger is one of the weaker songs on the album.

29 Bilbo February 5, 2013 at 12:33 pm

@Mateja where do you find all of these short reviews? (links) but by the sound of them, it looks like comedown machine will be gooooooood

30 Mandingo February 5, 2013 at 2:38 pm

I take one day off and they have a Strokes party without me “@jenny_stevens: I have decided I actually really like ‘All The Time’ #strokes”

Another twitter post from the looks of it, somebody else who works for NME

31 Acombs1793 February 5, 2013 at 2:49 pm

@eriktmpls: What a truly strange record this is–like listening to a succession of different radio stations late at night. #ComedownMachine

@eriktmpls: Looks like Julian’s falsetto is sadly here to stay for the most part. #ComedownMachine

32 Anth February 5, 2013 at 2:53 pm

I feel pretty confident that OWT will be in-fuckin-credible live. I’m listening to TFAF, live on Letterman and relized that it sounds so good live.

33 A Minor 4-4 February 5, 2013 at 2:57 pm

Wow, this is the biggest tease ever!!

34 I Can't Win February 5, 2013 at 4:04 pm

@Acombs1793
“What a truly strange record this is–like listening to a succession of different radio stations late at night. #ComedownMachine”

Wow that sounds awesome! “Is This It” has always been the go-to album among my friends and I at parties when things are starting to get a little “hazy”, but based on that tweet I think “Comedown Machine” could occupy that spot very soon!

35 Matt February 5, 2013 at 5:16 pm

The tease… IT KILLS…

36 Netan Rosenthal February 27, 2013 at 2:23 pm

For those of you who cant wait to buy “Comedown Machine” on March 26, heres a little something to hold you over… Enjoy! http://smarturl.it/TheStrokesOfficial

37 Dian December 21, 2015 at 1:00 am

Thanks for this post. My birthday is April 20th, and I will also be tunnirg 30, just like you. Have you read any Seth Godin? His book Linchpin is excellent, and it talks about the very situation that you are going through.GoDaddy loves me because I have purchased 97 domains from them, but two of them help me to solve problems that I care about. I am letting all of the other ones lapse, and I am focusing. Over the past 2 years, I have allowed this one idea to evolve, and I have found a community of people who also care about the problem; together we a moving forward on the project. They keep me on my toes, hold me accountable, and they pick me up when I am down.I would start with a problem. Write out a list of problems that you see in the world, in your realm, in your community, and start brainstorming some solutions. Think about the areas in which you have expert knowledge. Grab one of those ideas that has promise, find a team of people to work with you, and weave your passion into a project that is remarkable, something that will help solve a big problem, something that you care about. It could be that you’re going at it alone. Creativity and art is enhanced by a partner, or a team. I can’t wait to see what you come up with. If you want to bounce ideas off of somebody, I love the entrepreneurial mindset, and I love taking ideas and pushing them into reality. Thanks for sharing!