Azzaro’s Print Advertisement for Julian Casablancas-Backed Decibel Cologne Hits The Web

Update: From Sarah on H2E: “The song made by Julian for the ad will be called: “I Like The Night”. It basically explains the video of the ad, that Julian and his fans become one, and that he surrenders himself to the fans and go off the stage to be carried by the crowd. Julian’s quote says ‘everything starts with music’.” Updated

This ad is such bullshit. If he was crowd surfing at a real Strokes show all the hands would be on his bulge.

51 alx. June 17, 2011 at 8:27 pm

Wait there’s gonna be a song for the ad???? Like a real Julian song, without any brand or shit like that? That’s fuckin awesome, even if its for an ad, a new julian song is just what I need…maybe a TFAF b-side would help too.

52 Sarah June 18, 2011 at 1:56 am

Seriously, we seem more excited / interested by an ad than by the music they can produce and share with us (and I’m talking also for me).

There is an appeal to the emptiness and superficiality that is frightening sometimes, and before you know it you’re caught up in the whirlwind and drown in the dark depth.

Didn’t know it would be so overwhelming to be a Strokes’ fan and have to deal with so many up and down moments, as if they can touch the extreme perfect beauty but at the same time have their feet in the mud, and so the fans are too. But I guess that’s why I like them.

And : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6hhE_sqJG3g (listen to it very loud, starts at 1:30)

53 Kimdiy June 18, 2011 at 8:23 am

@molly st. clair…oh shit yeah. my drive-thru…whoops totally forgot. :-)

54 L-G June 18, 2011 at 8:26 am

“Before I can wipe dry, he is out the door, rolling himself home in an abandoned wheelchair he finds outside.”

HAHAHAHAHA!!!! That’s HILARIOUS!!!

55 william June 18, 2011 at 8:44 am

@Tank
Albert did heroin? What drugs did Albert do?

56 ja June 18, 2011 at 8:56 am

I’m disappointead that he would write a song for a cologne…
Modelling is one with but I feel like he’s selling out his art of songwriting for a big wad of cash (and yes I felt the same way about Drive Thru)

57 Raz June 18, 2011 at 9:19 am

Selling out is a stupid term. He’s making himself even more noticed. More money more music.

58 H June 18, 2011 at 12:05 pm

I agree with @Raz. If what he’s doing attracts more new fans to the music, why not right? It’s not like he’s doing any distasteful or morally questionable, he’s just advertising cologne for pete’s sake.

Seriously some of you ‘fans’ need to have a seat on the bench.

59 agree with alx. June 18, 2011 at 3:20 pm

agree with alx. especially when he said that julian is a genious :D

60 neversay June 18, 2011 at 4:57 pm

i just think it’s funny. he looks way photo-shopped and the hand grabbing his hair is hilarious… in the other picture of the ad he looks weird, like a goat… I still think he’s hot though

61 wendel-the real wendel June 18, 2011 at 9:21 pm

this is so lame, like this is some sad bret michaels ass shit

62 Lulu June 19, 2011 at 5:37 am

LOVE THIS QUOTE:
2001 – 5 guys, drunk, high, in a great mood getting a long – in for the real deal
2011 – 5 guys, sober, quit drugs, in a slaggish mood not getting on like before – in for the commercial deal

BUT REALLY — IF THEY KEPT THAT UP FOR TEN YEARS, HEADED WHERE THEY WERE HEADED, THEY’D BE DEAD or at least some of them would.

I think they are excited but in a different way and a different frame of mind.

Times change, people grow up. They can still make music.

Check out these quotes from an interview:

AH – We’re not 18 any more, man. Things change, as they should. And thank God. If we were 28 and still acting like we were 18? That’s not who I want to be. People have this image [in their heads] and they see this dream and they want to live it, but the sad part is it’s impossible. I feel like I’m getting somewhere a little clearer. And I didn’t think I would get here, so the fact that I am makes it feel new.

NV – I’m excited. I had been waiting for the rest of the band to be ready to get back together. So when everyone was into it again I was very excited. I still am, man.

NF – Personally, I don’t ever want to stop making new albums. If we take another break, and I really hope we don’t, it won’t be something in my control.

NV – There’s material in the works. We have a lot of music stockpiled so, in terms of content, we’re in a good place right now. If I had it my way, we’d have another album out by the end of this year.

63 TheClash June 20, 2011 at 7:06 am

the strokes are dead. get used to it

64 Cory June 20, 2011 at 8:56 am

The strokes are dead? Then why are you on this website?

Honestly, Julian might be “selling out” or whatever you want to call it. But I don’t blame him. This isn’t the 1970s anymore, and he doesn’t live the rock n roll lifestyle. We already knew that. He lives with his wife and child whom he is responsible for. The guy is supporting his family. Big deal. If your going to hate on capitalismthen go move to china or something.

65 Julio Casablanco June 20, 2011 at 9:12 am

“Supporting his family”, give me a break. You make it sound like they’re collecting coupons and living hand to mouth. You want to know why people often have a problem with the idea of “selling out”? It’s because there is nothing noble about promoting a product (unless, perhaps, it is a life saving one). And because their words and actions are scripted for them by a company, they become a shill for that company. There are other ways to make money. Like touring and promoting an album. Like making another album!

66 Lulu June 20, 2011 at 10:30 am

Yah, I like that, noticed more, more music, more money, more positive.

But does Julian do his best when in a positive mood?

I hope so and I think we WILL SEE. WE WILL SEE.

Good grief, who wants them to act like 18 year olds?

You know, I bet Julian can do a commercial and still write as much and as good as he could NOT doing a commercial.

Sure, he deserves the financial benefit he gets. He earned it. He’s not selling guns or ammo and he’s not representing a company like WalMart that does not even provide health insurance for their employees.

The day Julian starts advertising for WalMart or Goldman Saks, I stop being a fan.

Perfume, cool by me.

67 Sarah June 20, 2011 at 10:48 am

Hey, a spray of perfume can maybe save your life if you’re attacked or save you for a date… Condoms save life everyday; don’t you think it’ll inappropriate to get paid for promoting them? I don’t think you can organise into a hierarchy things to promote or not, for me there is nothing that is worth to be promoted (even an album…).

Leaving in the utopia that people will recognise you only on your work, effort and talent, without trying to convince them is the great ideal we should all try to reach.
But unfortunately it’s not the reality because people accept that other dictate them what to do, what to listen to, what to buy…they don’t want to think by themselves.

As much as it’s hard, it’s impossible to leave in a world without people trying to sell you something that does not deserve it, the only thing you can do is not following what they tell you to do and follow your own thoughts.

68 heather June 20, 2011 at 10:57 am

Awww. So freaking cute! http://yfrog.com/gypso1j

69 Tank June 20, 2011 at 12:38 pm

@william. Yeah albert started out doin coke but was heavy into Heroin by the time FIOE rolled around. I used to know a friend who sold it to him on the lower east side of Manhattan. hes clean now…

70 Sarah June 20, 2011 at 1:28 pm

C’mon real drug is music, and this is a real sell out : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QfpIYXOGgLM

71 mattd June 20, 2011 at 2:15 pm

@Tank I don’t think Albert was into drugs during FIOE because I have watched a ton of performances from them from the FIOE tour and Albert never missed a note and seemed pretty “normal” and focused on his guitar part.

He must have started using after The Strokes tour.

72 Mateja June 20, 2011 at 2:26 pm

The Strokes are headlining Roskilde (over arctic monkeys) on saturday june 2. Anyone knows if it’s going to be broadcasted?

73 Tank June 20, 2011 at 3:43 pm

@mattd
Just because Albert was on the top of his game during this tour didn’t mean he wasnt using, many artists actually preform better when under the influence.

74 Mykel June 21, 2011 at 3:38 am

When are we gonna hear the song.

75 John June 21, 2011 at 8:39 am

Julian Casablanas is still a legendary musican. And he can advertise for what he wants. And stop making it sound like he’s really poor lol. He has lots of money, haven’t you seen his house? Didn’t say he was extremely rig but he do have alot of money. Anyway, i still love him. And i know you others also do so stop complaining

76 Bella June 21, 2011 at 2:12 pm

Have anyone seen Julians house?

77 Alex M. June 21, 2011 at 3:38 pm

is anyone excited for this cologne or is it just me? haha i hope it smells wonderful. my girlfriend doesn’t want me to change my cologne but if Julian is endorsing it hopefully it’s good. :D if not that bottle will make a nice decoration.

78 annie June 21, 2011 at 10:53 pm

hahahaaahha this is pretty funny – his face is straight out of zoolander! And the crowd surf is slightly ridiculous since he famously has pretty little interaction with his fans in performances. Oh well, maybe looking forward to a song about perfume will ease the wait to the next album.

79 lzoid June 22, 2011 at 1:57 pm

he obviously doesnt give a fuck anymore. just banking it. whatever. do what ya gotta do dude. its just sad because i think hes above that. tis a crying shame. sorry julian. i still love you.

80 Lili June 23, 2011 at 1:29 pm

HAHAHAHAHA.
“I LIKE THE NIGHT”
I’m sorry this is just so ridiculous. I’m dying.

81 Jessica June 24, 2011 at 9:36 pm

I never took this cologne thing too seriously and didn’t care either way but once I read the bit about zoolander I can’t help but laugh whenever I think of it.

82 Rocky June 30, 2011 at 12:27 am

I read all these comments and yall people need to calm down. Yall make it seem like Julian is no good now. Like he is so poor and needs to sing songs for what ever he can get. He is just making a song for a cologne commercial and that’s it. Get over it! He is still an awesome singer and always will be.

83 Meagan July 1, 2011 at 9:18 am

I think Jules is spending too much time with Rivers Cuomo. And i can’t stop imagining a song called “I Like the Night” to sound extremely creepy. Whatever, I still love his music and I still want him.

84 Shannon August 9, 2011 at 8:56 am

I know my hands certainly would be exploring his body a lot more than those peoples’.

85 Danilo August 30, 2011 at 11:40 am

Hi everyone,I saw this ad in a magazine called VIP here in Brazil!
I’m Strokes fan I will buy one =D!

86 kore dizileri izle July 24, 2012 at 10:46 am

Terrific publish admin thank you. I identified what i used to be trying to find here. I will review total of posts on this working day

87 Curt July 25, 2012 at 3:56 pm

Hello admin beneficial article much thanks liked this website really a lot

88 haga clic en este August 5, 2012 at 10:02 pm

The best and clear News is very much imptortant to us. 448768

89 ACLS Certification Course Online August 27, 2012 at 7:29 pm

A genuinely intriguing examine, I could not concur entirely, but you do make some really valid points. 5023

90 gadget comparison September 3, 2012 at 8:51 pm

Thank you pertaining to giving this outstanding content on your web-site. I discovered it on google. I might check back once more in the event you publish extra aricles. 183221

91 utah phlebotomy training programs September 4, 2012 at 8:35 am

Hi, Thanks for your page. I discovered your page by way of Bing and hope you maintain providing far more very good articles. 64659

92 FMCG jobs September 12, 2012 at 10:32 pm

Hey mate, .This was an excellent post for such a hard subject to talk about. I look forward to seeing many more excellent posts like this one. Thanks 649287

93 o8shop Online shopping israel September 19, 2012 at 4:31 am

I visited plenty of site but I believe this 1 contains something extra in it in it 972482