UPDATED: ‘All The Time’ is the name of the first single from Strokes V, and Strokes V appears to be completed

Update: I’ve confirmed with Mike Kaplan, the Program Director at 107.7 The End, that “All The Time” is indeed the first single from the Strokes’ new album. Kaplan has also heard some of the other songs on the record — he said they all sound “amazing” and added that the fan base won’t be disappointed — and will provide advanced notice as to when 107.7 will premiere the first single once the station gets the green light from RCA Records. So, the album appears to be completed. UPDATED

Update 2: 107.7 just posted on their website that, of the two songs they’ve heard, “One was a more synth driven track, with the other …”All The Time” packing a classic strokes sound.” UPDATED

It’s starting.

(107.7 posted this late on Wednesday)

(photo via. And “mike” is most likely program director Mike Kaplan.)

Soooo, I’d say the new single comes out within the next couple weeks if this is indeed true (remember, 107.7 is the station that leaked Machu and TFAF). Unlike Strokes IV, it obviously doesn’t seem as if there’s a super-secret seal on the first single. Moreover, I’d say to expect the new record in the first half of this year (!) and probably some tour dates to follow.

What does everybody else think? Oh, and who do you think wrote “All the Time”? My money is on a Nick-Jules-Albert collaboration.

101 Carolyn January 17, 2013 at 11:51 am

And so it begins again! It’s so great to come back to this site to get the lowdown on everything.
I think they had some learning to do after Angles, and I have a feeling this one might be better. I agree that we probably expected some more synth stuff. If they’re done right, synths can be, as Julian would probably say, RAD. But it’s great to hear mention of “classic strokes sound.”

102 Brian Wallace January 17, 2013 at 11:57 am

I hope this new single is an actual thing and we’re not being tricked. I hope “All the Time” ~= Lennay Kekua.

Brian

103 the modern age January 17, 2013 at 12:02 pm

@Carolyn, Nicely put :)

@Brian, I doubt it. TS would have retracted it by now. I bet they retracted that article from months ago about working on the new album just to try and keep gossip under control. Smart, b/c look what’s going on today!

104 Jasper January 17, 2013 at 12:08 pm

I am beyond st(r)oked….please let this be real! :D

105 Brian Wallace January 17, 2013 at 12:12 pm

While we are waiting….

I think this is new way albums and music is being produced in 2012. Almost no advance hype at ALL. You don’t even know if a band/artist is recording new music or not. Then “Boom!” Besides this example, others:

1. Remember Radiohead announcing “King of Limbs” only days before it was released?

2. David Bowie surprising us with “Where Are We Now?” and a new Bowie album released in a couple weeks.

3. Justin Timberlake, who supposedly hadn’t been working on new music at all, dropping “Suit & Tie” which is HUGE.

I think at one point it was helpful to carefully coordinate an album release with singles, pre-singles, advance interviews, etc but now I think customers are sensitive to over hype. If you hear about an album for 6 months or more, by the time it comes out, you may be sick of it.

Brian

106 LillySu January 17, 2013 at 12:25 pm

@Brian Wallace
Times are changing…

107 the modern age January 17, 2013 at 12:31 pm

@Brian, I agree. Also, the way things are these days with the internet it can take away from the band getting to release their own news. I’m going crazy for this new music, but this hype is still fun! I’m glad it’s this way… as long as we get something more soon!

108 LillySu January 17, 2013 at 12:34 pm
109 Mateja January 17, 2013 at 1:13 pm

A first single with a “classic Strokes sound” reminds me to what happened with Under cover of darkness. A misleading catchy first song and then an album in a completely opposite direction.

I’m pretty sure that All the time will be a good song, they can make that, it’s almost easy for them to do that. But a full record, as a cohesive unit, is a completely different thing, and to be honest, I’m not very confident about how that will goes.

I trust a lot in Albert and the role in the band he had the last years, though. I think that if something good comes out of all this, he’s going to be a major responsible.

110 Eric Van Dril January 17, 2013 at 1:14 pm

@Brian — I agree with you. Keeping it quiet allows the artists to feel calm in the studio. Remember how Arctic Monkeys and The Strokes both said their second records felt rushed? I feel like a lot of that was because of the media.

Radiohead did this with KoL, and Arcade Fire is another good example. They’ve been working with James Murphy, but they haven’t done any interviews about that.

111 LillySu January 17, 2013 at 1:29 pm

@EVD
I’ve read somewhere that AF had to move to another studio cause the roof on their church-studio collapsed. Poor guys! BTW, they are my #2 band and I’m psyched to hear their new material. I like that James Murphy is producing. Interesting combination.

112 Andres January 17, 2013 at 1:30 pm

I think guys that this album is going to be Angles 2.0 i mean. the idea of making a good record democratically between all the guys. idk how the fuck this is going to sound but i am very anxious!

i would love the song sound like this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VZsirqdYAHU 00:54

113 the modern age January 17, 2013 at 1:45 pm

@Andres, hahaha, we do need some of that back in TS, don’t we? And a couple “dear”s and “darlin”s. I know we’ve all heard these, but I really like @0:24 and @1:17 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wk_w-YyJbfY

I think it’ll be better. They’ve had time to adjust to this new way of working together.

114 Wolfsie January 17, 2013 at 1:59 pm

@the modern age
That @ 0:24 is just so good! I hope it makes it to the new album. And please I hope we get a making of video again.

115 LillySu January 17, 2013 at 2:01 pm

@MA & Wolfsie, I love that song Julian is singing at 0:24 too. Beautiful! Reminds me a bit on Ludlow St.

116 wolfman January 17, 2013 at 2:42 pm

“all the time” sounds more like a strokes song title than “under cover of darkness did”

117 Emma January 17, 2013 at 2:54 pm

Nikolai (re)tweeted this : “@thestrokesnerd: Proud to see #TheStrokes are the hottest thing on twitter today. Been following since 2001.” He doesn’t deny anything that have been said today so I guess it’s very true guys !
It feels so great to hear from them again, in such a way ! Sur there is some anxiety as Angles wasn’t as good as we/I expected, but damn, THE STROKES ARE BACK, it’s the best thing in the world.

118 joe January 17, 2013 at 2:54 pm

well where the god damn is it? i have to wait for it? pfft. what is this the 90′s?

119 luis January 17, 2013 at 3:08 pm

i wonder what they meant by synth driven track, is it gonna sound like a full blown phrazes for the young track or like 12:51. i know theres no synth on that song but its still got that sound as well as a classic strokes sound

120 Ted January 17, 2013 at 4:06 pm

@Mateja

I agree with you on everything but I try to stay positive on having a coherent album, I don’t want an Angles 2.0…

121 Annie 1251 January 17, 2013 at 5:21 pm

THIS IS SO FREAKING EXCITING I CAN HARDLY STAND IT!!!!!!

When I saw this news this morning – I drove to work BLASTING H2E and my heart was beating like crazy!!! :)
And now with these updates – it sounds like the single will be real soon!

@luis & aimee
You guys were actually the first ones to post something about this on the other thread! Great job! :)

@luis
I am also wondering about the “synth driven track”. and I agree with you about 12:51 – to me it is like a “synthy” type of song (even tho it’s guitars, lol)- but it also totally gives me that “special Strokes feeling” that we were all talking about a while back.

I would LOVE a song like 12:51! :) It’s such a mega-cool song!!!

oh guys I hope I hope I hope they all worked well together and I hope Julian was the “Music Director” once again (like he once referred to himself). PLEEEEEEEEEEEEEZZZZ!!!! :)

122 TheTourist January 17, 2013 at 5:25 pm

@Annie
I know what you mean! That song just sounds like a hazy night in new york…

123 I Can't Win January 17, 2013 at 6:46 pm

Oh my god I just realized something terrible… This is all a hoax. The Strokes are in on it and got that radio station to join in on it too. They’ll announce when the world premiere of the song is, then we’ll all tune in and it will turn out to just be a recording of a drunken Julian singing along to Eddie Murphy’s “My Girl Likes To Party All The Time” at a Karaoke bar somewhere in New York City circa 2002.

124 Next Dimension January 17, 2013 at 6:57 pm

Does anyone know what kind of music Julian has been getting into lately? I’m hoping for something a little more psychedelic for the new album. Anyone hear the new Tame Impala album?…. something like that would with a Strokes edge would be awesome.

125 heather January 17, 2013 at 7:05 pm

Awesome!

126 Maya January 17, 2013 at 7:26 pm

@I Can’t Win
I didn’t realize I had a worst fear until you wrote that.

@Next Dimension
I hear him mention Beirut a lot.

127 the modern age January 17, 2013 at 7:45 pm

@Maya & ND, Yes he loves Beirut, and remember he tweeted about Solange recently.

The next time he puts out solo work, I’d love to see him change up the instrumentation the way Beirut does. Brass, strings, different percussion.

128 I Can't Win January 17, 2013 at 7:51 pm

@Next Dimension: I would love if the Strokes ventured into Tame Impala territory on a few songs on the album! I almost feel like that’s roughly what they were trying for with “Games” but they just absolutely missed the mark. Now I’m hearing in my head Julian singing “Feels Like We Only Go Backwards” and I think it would be a great fit!

129 Next Dimension January 17, 2013 at 8:11 pm

The Strokes are my favorite band… but those two songs are just not comparable…. “Feels like We Only Go Backwards” is far superior:

130 Matt January 17, 2013 at 8:24 pm

@I Can’t Win
That wouldn’t be too bad.

131 luis January 17, 2013 at 9:23 pm

there was that Julian casablancas interview where he said he listened to beach house which, like tame impala, has more of a psychedelic vibe, but i don’t know julian has a lot of different inspirations, like beirut, sam cooke, and the dirty projectors, that don’t necessarily show up in strokes songs.
@Annie 1251
well thank you! ive loved coming on this site since the strokes announced the release of under cover of darkness, and even though i don’t have much to contribute i really love reading all of these strokes discussions.

132 TheTourist January 17, 2013 at 9:44 pm

I’m anxious for this. HURRY!!!

133 Bob January 18, 2013 at 2:39 am

Not being pessimistic but isn’t this their final album before their contract expires with RCA? any news about that? It’s bittersweet, but I can’t wait for the new album and single!

134 LillySu January 18, 2013 at 2:48 am

Nothing yet… :(

135 Annie 1251 January 18, 2013 at 4:06 am

@Bob
I’m trying not to think about THAT :( but it really is on my mind. It sure is a bittersweet thing, since it’s most likely their last album…..

@LillySu
I want to hear the new single, but here after all this waiting – I almost don’t mind them taking their time putting out the rest, because it’s the last one. Do you know what I mean?

@errrrybody
Will they definitely tour if it’s the last album? I’m sure they will have to promote it, right?

And I posted on here a while back that I was afraid of the Strokes new music getting “lost” out there with all the new bands on the Alternative scene. The radio station I sometimes listen to plays SO MUCH new music and so many new bands.

But after I saw the big reaction out there in the world to the new Strokes music just being announced-not even released yet – I really feel reassured!

136 Annie 1251 January 18, 2013 at 4:17 am

@errrrybody
I read something yesterday that the Strokes did a thing called “Operation You Only Live Once” where on MySpace and/or Facebook – they asked their fans to call local radio stations and request YOLO. They said (in the article) the Strokes wanted to promote the song “by word of mouth”.

Does anyone know if that was successful? Did the stations play YOLO alot? The station I mentioned in my last post played UCoD when it first came out, and it sometimes plays 12:51 (yay!) and Someday.

And now -with all these Strokes tumblrs and THIS great site – should we fans try and do something like that? Spread the word for everyone to call or email their local radio stations when the new single comes out?
Because I would love to hear the Strokes on the radio OFTEN. A dream come true!

137 ITAO January 18, 2013 at 4:29 am

Synth driven huhhh? Hopefully it’s more on the 12:51 style rather than the Games style. It’s not that Games is a bad song or anything, it’s just that we don’t want to much of them Electronica songs.

138 Bob January 18, 2013 at 4:42 am

@Annie 1251
yeah, the fact that no one has talked about it being their last album in the contract makes me kinda worried. But who knows, maybe they’ll sign with Julian’s label!

139 mateja January 18, 2013 at 5:41 am

#124 Next Dimension

I don’t see them taking too much artistically risks for this album like to do something more psychedelic. I mean, this will probably be their last album and they probably know it, so I guess they will “play safe” to leave a good image and get some economic return. Which means, a classic Strokes’ structured album. Between 10 and 12 songs, between 3 and 4 minutes each, nothing more audacious than what Angles was.

Besides, I don’t think that Julian has now much influence in the band to make that kind of creative decisions. He (and them) will have time to make more experimental things by their own in the future. Now I don’t expect nothing more crazy than a few synths and just one or two songs really distinct from the Strokes classic song type (i was thinking about an instrumental song, who knows)

140 mateja January 18, 2013 at 5:59 am

This guy from the radio heard the song and has some information. According to his first answer I guess it won’t be leaked till next week.

@bryce1077 @rockohoward Will wait to see how the next few days pan out. i’ll wake up in 6 hours and it’ll be up for download or something
@SheyMcfez @rockohoward lol. Little longer than that but it’s coming soon

@bryce1077 how would you describe the new stroke’s song?
@Neon_Cat it sounds like the strokes

141 LillySu January 18, 2013 at 6:12 am

@Mateja
I agree with you about what we can expect. And I agree that Julian can`t do what he would love to do – more to experiment. I think other guys push more commercial sound.

142 Next Dimension January 18, 2013 at 6:46 am

@mateja I hope you’re wrong. The Strokes broke onto the scene by being ahead of the curve and I hope they continue this for this new album. I can’t see Julian putting out something just like ROF after going through all these changes. My ideal album would be a more psychedelic album but similar to FIOE.

143 mateja January 18, 2013 at 6:51 am

@Next Dimension

I guess not like ROF, but yes something more in the Angles vibe. I definetely don’t see them doing a more psychedelic album. Just assumptions, we’ll have to wait.

The only thing we should know is that “All the time” won’t be a reliable indicator of how the album will be.

144 the modern age January 18, 2013 at 7:40 am

@mateja @LillySu, What you said about them knowing it’s their last record as TS is a good point, and after everything that’s happened, “playing it safe” for at least 1/2 of it is probably the route they’ll take. But I do agree with @Next Dimension that they’ll take some risk, especially after how much progress they’ve made. I think it’ll be a more pleasant compromise than Angles was.

Even if they made something close to ROF, it wouldn’t sound appropriate b/c of where they are now. It was great hearing Meet Me In The Bathroom in 2010, but also a little strange hearing it from them after everything that’s happened.

145 the modern age January 18, 2013 at 7:45 am

@Annie your 136, IDK about that, but I never listen to the radio :/

Guys, for months I’ve been searching Google news for “The Strokes” and only got results about having strokes and other medical information. Last nite I do the search and it’s pages and pages and pages and pages of our guys. Is there any other band these days that’s getting so much attention? Anything else more anticipated? Even after 2011, ppl are ready to grab them up. This is what they do to ppl, and nothing is even out yet.

@luis, Yes, thank you (and aimee!) for the news. You created quite a stir! Thank you for saying you like our posts too :) I’m glad you joined us.

146 Dallas January 18, 2013 at 8:04 am

Knowing that the virgins new album will be coming soon should give us an indication about when the strokes album is going to come out. I’m sure Julian doesn’t want to steal any publicity away from a band on his label.

147 FrenchConnection January 18, 2013 at 8:25 am

My fear : GUS OSBERG

This guy is a bad bad producer. A beautiful shit. Sorry for him

But I’m reassured because this album cannot be worse than Angles. Impossible

So OPTIMIST :)

@Dallas : 12th march for the new Virgins

148 the modern age January 18, 2013 at 8:37 am

@Dallas, That’s a really good point. I think it’ll be early May.

149 Ina January 18, 2013 at 8:38 am

@FrenchConnection: Yeah, I really am scared of Gus Oberg too. I don’t think he works well with the band. If I were to choose, I’ll be certainly be hiring Gordon Raphael again if this LP were to be the last from The Strokes. Well, not to say that I want to hear a ITI/ROF type-album again, I just wanted to know how could Raphael bring back the band by producing an album that will be their best and last (I hope not). Knowing that he was somehow responsible of the success of The Strokes with Is This It.

150 Ina January 18, 2013 at 8:43 am

@Dallas @modernage: They’re leaking the single probably next week, which gives us to about two months before the fifth LP gets released.